Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viewing ourselves

Viewing ourselves

Kimberley's posting inspired me to ask this question. We know others view us in different ways, such as outcasts or whatever. I'm wondering how we view ourselves. I view myself as a rebel of sorts, I guess. Mostly because I accept everyone for who they are and who they want to be and I tend to challenge stereotyping. Especially stereotyping in the TG community. I'm curious as to how you all view yourselves.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

another girl just trying to figure it out and enjoying the time i do get en femme and the friends i have here and the info i recieve

susie

Rebel is probably a good word for it.
    Sometimes I feel like in my teenage rebel years (funny time).
    Difference is that I wanted to rebel those days to see where the boundaries are.
    Today I have to rebel to push the boundaries.

Another label would be freak or freaky, because I assume "regular" people will see me like that. No problem with it, as long as I can be sure they see me as nice freak (I do my best).
    Last edited by Marla S; 01-30-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Junior Member Samantha Jane Foster's Avatar
    That's an interesting point, Salandra. Because I don't know if I'm a rebel of sorts, as you say about yourself, in that I refuse to observe the usual gender boundaries-- or maybe it's more that, if I had my choice, I would fit in with others, unnoticed (since I don't like putting myself front and center), only I would do so as a female-- just one of the girls. I'm a nonconformist in other areas so I suppose I am with my gender identity as well-- even if I want to be just a regular, everyday girl.

I use to feel like an outcast, as I went through my divorce I heard words like pervert, and worse. I have come to believe I am just me, an honest hard working amiable person who enjoys a feminine side.
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

I am just a person that has a feminine side and enjoys it through dressing in feminine attire. I am just me. I feel no differently about myself no matter how I am dressed.
    [SIZE="4"]Mary Jane[/SIZE]

May those that love us, love us. Those that don't love
    us may God turn their hearts. And if he can't turn their
    hearts, may he turn their ankles, so we'll know them by their limping.

I LOOK like a guy... Casey Morgan's Avatar
    Hmm. I would have to say gendernaut, advocate, and reluctant rebel. I'm a reluctant rebel because although I go against the norms (even TG norms at times) it would be nice if I didn't have to challenge them. It's not a case of finding the norms and challenging them, it's a case of the way I am just kind of goes against those norms. That's why I'm also an advocate. Not really outside the Transgender community but within it. I've been trying to increase awareness of people like myself (see A View From The Middle). But I'm happy to give a voice to anyone who needs one.

I'm a gendernaut (and feel free to suggest a better word) because I like to map out what "here" is. I figure the more I find out, alone or with others, the easier it will be for the next person who comes along. But I'm interested in more than just "here". Ideally (idealistically?) I'd like to know everything about everything and figure out how it all fits together.

Nice thread Salandra.
    Androgynes: the quantum bits of the gender binary.

Hugging the Kurves! RobertaFermina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Morgan View Post
    Hmm. I would have to say gendernaut, [snip]...

...[end-snip]But I'm interested in more than just "here". Ideally (idealistically?) I'd like to know everything about everything and figure out how it all fits together.
    Nice thread Salandra.
    Wow Casey ! I read your post and its like looking into a mirror.

I am a happy adventurer, seeking to let go of the categories as I travel, even as I see fellow travelers inventing categories to define where we are.

I see islands of safety equally as islands of confinement.

That word 'gendarnaut' has been echoing in my mind for a few weeks now...how delightful to hear it framed within your posting.

Everywhere I go, I have a chance to pick up some insight, or sensation, or addition or nuance to my sense of being. I find parts of myself I never dared to own, and get to take them on with curiosity and joy...and a little fear, and with less and less judgment. Letting go, and letting new things in, responsibly, I grow!

Happy Travels !

Roberta
    [COLOR=Red]Open your Heart :

I suppose that at times I am one p****d of reactionary, particulary when I see injustice or worse, intolerance, ignorance or other social issues and if it involves us even moreso. The rest of the time I am just me, a closeted non op TS trying to get by and keep family together without the loss of my sanity. I sometimes wonder if it is worth it.

Kimberley
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

is in her vest
    Hi

I view myself as an insecure misfit I suppose. I've never liked the fact I crossdress, but it's been me for so long, I think of it as just me. I wish I didn't dress, but then again, I do...and when I do I think I am as happy as I ever get. It's a love/hate relationship!!!
    Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by Salandra View Post
    I'm curious as to how you all view yourselves.
    Gee whiz Mr Wizard, I view myself in the mirror, naturally! Why, how do you do it?

Actually, it has been a part of me for so long, I just view me as me...

I LOOK like a guy... Casey Morgan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertaFermina View Post
    I see islands of safety equally as islands of confinement.
    That's an interesting statement Roberta. I think I get what you're saying but I'm not totally sure. Could you explain that a little?
    Androgynes: the quantum bits of the gender binary.

Functional Marshmallow

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanygirl View Post
    in the mirror, naturally!
    Of course those big windows in storefronts reflect well if the light is right
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I'm just a sweet transvestite . . . from Transsexual, Transylvania".

Actually, I'm a gay boy that can pretend to be a straight girl, but looks to all the world like a gay girl. It's so confusing.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex View Post
    "I'm just a sweet transvestite . . . from Transsexual, Transylvania".

Actually, I'm a gay boy that can pretend to be a straight girl, but looks to all the world like a gay girl. It's so confusing.
    Not to me Hon. You are one of the nicest Pirate Captains I know and I've known a few in my times.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I view myself as an independent (rather than rebellious), adventurous, heterosexual guy with a great capacity for expressing and empathizing with my feminine inclinations. I don't feel confused about it. I am trouble only with the struggle to find the ways, means, and opportunities to make it a regular part of my life.
    warmly, Linnea

Hmm...honestly, I don't view my self as a rebel, an outsider, an iconoclast. I'm just an otherwise completely normal father (first), husband (second) and professional (third), who also enjoys expressing his feminine side. Boring but true....
    For photos on flickr, my user name is cd_erica_f

I'm just a guy who loves to dress as a woman I like the fem feeling that it give me
    Angie

Aspiring Member
    I view myself as activist fight for men to have the same rights women do.

<--Androgenous/Female enthusiast.

Why mystify it?

just a normal girl

Aspiring Member
    I alternate between feeling like a tomboyish girl, or femmy guy. It's confusing.

Rebel

Being an ageing Bi - Sexual CD'er I guess that is where I belong. But I am sooooooooo gorgeous ! hehe ( Stolen from the Fantastic Karren ) & Trina - An Irish Sexual Rebel
    Last edited by ArleneRaquel; 01-30-2007 at 11:25 PM.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

An alley cat with Persian Blue looks.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]