Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes it's amazing how accepting people are...

Sometimes it's amazing how accepting people are...

So, first of all, I go to an absolutely awesome nail tech. She knows all about my dressing, and has seen me in girl mode a couple of times. Generally, I get my nails done in boy mode because of time constraints (usually I go in the evening late in the week), but occasionally I've gone on Saturday, so I'll go en femme. When I go in boy mode, I usually just have her do a clear, but if it's before the weekend and I'm not going to be doing anything between then and the next time I'm going out, I'll have her do color.

Anyway, I decided my nails just looked like hell today...it had been two weeks, and they were a bit long and ragged. So I stopped in this evening in boy mode. They were really busy, which isn't a problem, but there was a pretty long wait. So finally she gets to me. I decided to go with a dark purple-red (OPI Bogota Blackberry, FWIW), and as her to keep the length long, and really girl them up. They came out awesome, but when she was finished, there were three GGs at the four-unit nail dryer station.

I'm generally not nervous, but all these girls were about my age, and pretty attractive. So I sit down and stick my hands under the dryer, just smiling a little, but not saying anything. The girl next to me looked over and said "you've got great natural nails. Mine suck so I do acrylics, and I love that color". Nothing sarcastic or anything. I complimented her on the her color too, and we just started chatting. Next thing I know, all four of us are talking nails, hair, clothes, etc. totally accepting of the fact that this boy sitting with them is fully knowledgable about almond vs. round toe heels. It was just a really cool experience. At one point, I made a joke about how this length was about how long I dared to wear them, and one of the girls responded "that's ridiculous, people should just let you be who you are." Totally cool.

I guess I'm still surprised with how "in stride" so many people seem to take this thing. I mean, I'm not totally shocked...I met my girlfriend when she waited on me when I was shopping for shoes, but it's still a refreshing experience.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

...I met my girlfriend when she waited on me when I was shopping for shoes, but it's still a refreshing experience.[/QUOTE]

Oooooo...tell us more about that!

it's good to have suport

susie

Quote Originally Posted by goofus View Post
    Oooooo...tell us more about that!
    Lol...it's that same old story. Boy wants a new pair of pointy-toe heels, Boy goes to the mall, meets Girl at the shoe store. Boy and Girl talk about shoes, make small talk, Girl mentions she's new to Cincinnati and wants to know what are fun places to go out to. (Girl is assuming Boy like Boys). Boy tells Girl about cool clubs, buys shoes, and leaves. Boy doesn't really think much of it except "that was a really cool salesgirl".

Boy wants cute new platforms, goes back to the mall. Meets Girl again, Girl thanks Boy for telling her about the club scene. Boy invites Girl to go dancing sometime, Girl give cell phone number. Girl still thinks Boy like Boys, and thinks maybe Boy can be her "gay friend" in Cincinnati.

Boy invites Girl to go dancing. Boy dresses as Girl, Girl and Girl go dancing. Don't do much dancing, instead, spend hours talking, Girl says "you are so cool, too bad you're gay". Boy replies "Uh, who said I'm gay?".

Boy and Girl will have been seeing each other for two months as of February 9th. So far so good, and she even shares her employee discount at work.

Seriously, I never thought I would meet someone like this in Cincinnati. Pretty, thin, smart, and totally openminded. She likes me more in boy mode, of course, but is totally into the girl side as well. She's not into "manly men", she's always dated the artist/musician types, so I'm a good match for her...the girlyness of an artist, but with a much better paying job.

The only down side is that I'm not exactly looking forward to telling people the story about our "first date" or how we met. We may have to tell the story of the second date instead (dinner at a nice restaurant), and just say we met at the mall.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

Aspiring Member
    Great story of how you two met Lisa!

Wow that just fantastic Lisa
    Thanks for sharing
    (lucky girl)
    I just don't have fun -- I make the fun

Life's too short........Enjoy every day

well you can get away with it you look good as a girl and you are a nice person easy to talk too glad i got to meet you last year

I fear the unknown, but I digress.

The girl talk is an interesting thing. I meet with one woman for a few minutes almost every day. She is near my age and she has only ever seen me dressed up (in a comical style) on halloween. When I usually see her the chit chat is minimal and if there are other women there the conversation is directed away from me or if I make a comment it is often interpretted in a diffent way than I was thinking. Typical girl guy in different worlds. Anyhow, on halloween, I got the girl talk from her and I was the one that didn't know what to respond because it wasn't so much 'as a guy in a dress you look good or uncomfortable' it was a one to one exchange on her own experiences. She saw my long nails and I jokingly said they are hard to pick up keys with and she just a matter of factly said, you'll get used to them.

Another time I remember a difference was on other halloween when out on the town with my wife in the 90s I was wearing one of her summer dresses and bar tender girl told me I looked good and she had a dress just like it in the 80's. My wife was major pissed off since she often wore the dress. I never saw that side of my wife before and I realize the comment was a subtle jab only the well versed in women culture might pick up on.

I'm trying to get out more these days in regular daylight but I don't interact with others much yet so the limited past experence is all I can provide. There is a change in the way woman interact with you, its like an all or nothing switch is turned on and you get pulled in to their world. It can be fun.

Other Than Sales Girls

I have only interacted with a few GGs while dressed. The first one told me my wig was perfect for me. And she wanted to know where I bought my boobs (birdseed and nylons). In fact my boobs hung so low I looked like a granny. She was nice though. A member here (married). Just haven't seen her since October.

See....why does everyone assume we are gay or like men just cause we crossdress...I hate that...anyway...great story Lisa....you keep workin it girl
    \
    [SIZE="3"]Gianna Versaci[/SIZE]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gianna25/

Aspiring Member
    I have to say, it's true. I think many people accept us. We've probably all had some negative experiences and they do seem to stick out. Though I will say some people do accept us, most will not want to hang out with us.

lisa that is such an awesome story, both at the nail salon and your girlfriend.

Lisa, thanks for pointing this out in such a positive fashion. I go to the nail salon every other week and very often while sitting in the spa chair or drying my nails under the dryer, other customers will come and look to see what I have had done to my nails this time! Those little peeks into the "girls world" are precious and I love them as well.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

girl next door
    Hiya Lisa, and thanx so much for posting. It's so reassuring, and encouraging to read of experiences such as yours. Oh, and continued good luck w/ your girlfriend, btw. xoxo

Tammi
    [SIZE="3"]
    my wish for you is peace
    [/SIZE]

lo·gom·a·chy /loʊˈgɒməki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[loh-gom-uh-kee] –noun, plural -chies.
    1. a dispute about or concerning words.
    2. an argument or debate marked by the reckless or incorrect use of words; meaningless battle of words

Untitled
    Most people are accepting, just the odd few who are verbal about seeing a bloke in a frock,

Simple solution, ignore them, they more than likely will have no impact on your life, and besides its not illegal.

Enjoy the experiences, I certainly do.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Quote Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
    Lol...it's that same old story. Boy wants a new pair of pointy-toe heels, Boy goes to the mall, meets Girl at the shoe store. Boy and Girl talk about shoes, make small talk, Girl mentions she's new to Cincinnati and wants to know what are fun places to go out to. (Girl is assuming Boy like Boys). Boy tells Girl about cool clubs, buys shoes, and leaves. Boy doesn't really think much of it except "that was a really cool salesgirl".

Boy wants cute new platforms, goes back to the mall. Meets Girl again, Girl thanks Boy for telling her about the club scene. Boy invites Girl to go dancing sometime, Girl give cell phone number. Girl still thinks Boy like Boys, and thinks maybe Boy can be her "gay friend" in Cincinnati.

Boy invites Girl to go dancing. Boy dresses as Girl, Girl and Girl go dancing. Don't do much dancing, instead, spend hours talking, Girl says "you are so cool, too bad you're gay". Boy replies "Uh, who said I'm gay?".

Boy and Girl will have been seeing each other for two months as of February 9th. So far so good, and she even shares her employee discount at work.

Seriously, I never thought I would meet someone like this in Cincinnati. Pretty, thin, smart, and totally openminded. She likes me more in boy mode, of course, but is totally into the girl side as well. She's not into "manly men", she's always dated the artist/musician types, so I'm a good match for her...the girlyness of an artist, but with a much better paying job.

The only down side is that I'm not exactly looking forward to telling people the story about our "first date" or how we met. We may have to tell the story of the second date instead (dinner at a nice restaurant), and just say we met at the mall.
    Great story! It's kind of too bad that she just assumed you were gay, but I guess such is life when drag queens are more visible?

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    She's not into "manly men", she's always dated the artist/musician types, so I'm a good match for her...the girlyness of an artist, but with a much better paying job.

Hi Lisa,

Wow, what a great story! Your GF sounds similar to my wife with regard to not liking manly men and liking alternative type guys. I met my wife on a crossdressing forum, we're both vegetarians and so when people ask us how we met we don't exactly lie but be don't exactly tell the truth either. We tell them that we met on the internet on a forum, but we say it was a vegetarian message board not a crossdressing one

Those GGs in the nail salon sound awesome. I'm still trying to get my butt in the nail salon in girl or boy mode but just can't seem to get up the courage yet. Maybe the positive encounter you had will tip me over the edge and I'll go next weekend Anyway, thanks for such a great account of what happened to you I really enjoyed reading about it .
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

LisaK,

That sounds like a really nice experience!

Angel ---- Go for it! We await the story.

Missy Anne

That a great experience I'm glad you had it if only everybody was like that it would be a better world
    Angie

Woo! You see... nice people exist.

In nail salons, apparently. xx

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Darling View Post

Those GGs in the nail salon sound awesome. I'm still trying to get my butt in the nail salon in girl or boy mode but just can't seem to get up the courage yet. Maybe the positive encounter you had will tip me over the edge and I'll go next weekend Anyway, thanks for such a great account of what happened to you I really enjoyed reading about it .
    [SIZE="3"]Angel , The last time I was in Texas visiting my SO she treated me to a pedi!! I was nervous going in but once there it was totally awesome!! What an experience having your toenails done and chatting with the ggs! Of course I was still in boy mode and we joked about the color I wanted, but settled on clear should have gone with the pink and next time I will!!

Jennifer[/SIZE]
    Born female intended

" Don't die with your music still in you!"

Love being a girly girl! Country girl's Avatar

Thumbs up Vegas Baby, Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Keely Smith View Post
    [SIZE=3]Angel , The last time I was in Texas visiting my SO she treated me to a pedi!! I was nervous going in but once there it was totally awesome!! What an experience having your toenails done and chatting with the ggs! Of course I was still in boy mode and we joked about the color I wanted, but settled on clear should have gone with the pink and next time I will!! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Jennifer[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ya know Baby, I think the perfect time to accomplish this would be Vegas! Don't you agree? CG gg[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Country Girl GG [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]When you find something good... Grab it with both hands and do all you can do to keep it![/SIZE]

OMG, this is a great story. What an inspiration. I can't wait until I feel as comfortable in my skin as you do in yours. I have had my first manicure and pedicure recently and I loved it. The two Asian girls working on me were very nice and didn't see to flinch when I said I wanted clear but I was so nervous that someone would sit down next to me and comment on the clear coat I was getting (yeah, also with a little extra length and explicit instructions to not square off the tops). The techs never asked and I never told but they treated me like one of the girls... and I'm not even close to being in a red state! Wow.

Next thing I know, all four of us are talking nails, hair, clothes, etc. totally accepting of the fact that this boy sitting with them is fully knowledgeable about almond vs. round toe heels.
    Okay, I've obviously got some work to do. lol. what is the difference?

-b

My experience is that generally women are nicer and more compassionate and empathetic than men. I think they GET this whole way of living better than males, so we're lucky being able to cross over.

A lot of us are interested in our looks (ie passing) so we run into GGs that are interested in the same things. Most girls I've known are very accepting and natural - I wish we would let males be that too.

There will always be exceptions of course, and I think most of those people have been closed down and boxed in by external stuff.

In general I think Girls Rule!

...and I want to be one...
    "I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by kerrianna View Post
    My experience is that generally women are nicer and more compassionate and empathetic than men. I think they GET this whole way of living better than males, so we're lucky being able to cross over.
    In my experience (as an FtM), the opposite is true. I've found much more acceptance among males than females. I think it might be because people are flattered that we want to be like them, and are more likely to be accepting and helpful than if they think we reject being like them. Just my .
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]