View Poll Results: Wow, after reading that long post....

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I broadly agree with your theory

19 50.00%
  • I broadly disagree

13 34.21%
  • I have a much better theory. Let me explain...

6 15.79%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Stuff - Theories

Heavy Stuff - Theories

I read a home journal the other day from a CDer who was convinced about the hormone wash theory to describe why we are the way we are. Of course he did not explain why he was so convinced. I personally think that the hormone wash theory is a cop-out and does nothing to explain ourselves. If we cannot work out our origins ourselves then what hope do we have in making others understand.

So below I have written some thoughts about why the hormone wash theory makes no sense and also I lay out my own theory which I think stands up to scrutiny. This post is a long one so please set aside 5 minutes of your time then I would be grateful if you can answer the poll as well as poke holes in my rationale. I do hope that many will agree with me though – I think it is a neat theory, maybe too neat.

Debunking the Hormone Wash Theory

I believe gender dsyphoria is a behavioral dysfunction and has nothing to do with the level of hormones foetesus are exposed to in the womb. Lets examine some facts first which would indicate that cross-dressing develops in the mind not the womb.

A baby does not develop a fully functioning brain while inside the womb, if it did then its head would be too large to pass down the birth canal. Instead babies are only born with the primitive brain parts necessary for survival. The important part of the brain, the cerebrum, is our learning center and this develops in babies after birth outside the womb. That is why babies are unable to do anything in the first year, they are waiting for the brain to grow so that they can begin learning.

Now gender is a human creation. Human society determines what characteristics are feminine, which are masculine. These are usually based on physical and practical measures. Creating gender rules was a useful tool in human evolution. By deciding the roles and behavior of the two sexes, society provided growing children with a framework that correlated with their physical characteristics and meant each person knew what was expected of them – both in behavioral terms and their roles in society. There was no need for each child to reinvent the wheel in determining how they should behave and fit into society, the answers were given to them in gender rules. Unfortunately this inevitably meant a loss in individuality.

Now a newly born baby has no concept of gender, it has no learning center to learn about it. The only hormones that the baby’s developing brain is exposed to are its own hormones inside its body. It has a basic personality such as being a loud or quiet baby but learning and experience form the subtleties of a human personality, and babies have neither. As the baby’s brain grows it begins to observe, correlate, dissect and label the information to make sense of the world. It is not until about age 3 that a baby becomes aware of gender rules and full comprehension of gender roles in society does not appear until about age 6.

Since children take years to learn and understand what gender is, how can a supposed hormone wash in the womb affect their appreciation and interpretation of gender which they have learned from observation using the brain cerebrum – the part of the brain did not exist inside the womb. It is impossible that the two events can be linked.

My Theory

So why are we crossdressers?

By age 6 we are forced to transition from babies into children. Our behavioral patterns must conform to gender roles which are reinforced by our exposure to the outside world through attending school. However many children will realize that their personalities and gender roles conflict in some areas – ie boys who do not like rough or aggressive behavior and want to stay with their loving, caring mothers. This occurs in many girls too – the so-called tomboy. In fact probably the majority of children do experience mild gender dysphoria between ages 6-10 as they try to align their personalities with the pressure from society to conform to their gender roles.

Most children resolve the conflict by abandoning those traits which are deemed inappropriate. The child realizes that it is not worth the effort to swim against the flow, going with the flow is much easier and there are benefits in conformity. In the child’s mind the undesirable traits are walled off , discarded and are never revisited again for the remainder of their lives. In essence gender conformity pushes children into killing off parts of their personality. Boys become afraid of being labeled a sissy and reject anything which has feminine overtures.

Crossdressers also agree to conform to gender roles and also build a wall around these undesirable traits in our own personalities. The difference is that we find a way to bypass the gender rules. We build a secret backdoor in the wall which allows us to slip into and out of the forbidden area on the other side of the wall. For male crossdressers this means once we pass through the backdoor we enter a world of pure femininity. We decide not to discard our feminine traits but keep them well hidden and only accessible privately. But to the outside world we appear as normal gender conforming boys.

Humans are visual creatures, men even more so than woman. The basis of femininity can be accessed through the image of a woman. When we wear female clothes, we are doing so to cloak ourselves in the very essence of everything that society determines to be female.

Crossdressing is the key or trigger that unlocks the secret backdoor in the wall that we built ourselves in our heads to fence off feminine characteristics and interests which society instructed us were taboo in our childhood. When we crossdress we are in fact entering an area of pure femininity and are reconnecting with our original whole self – the part that we did not reject as society instructed us to.

An analogy would be that non-CD people agreed to cut off their left arms to conform as children. Crossdressers only pretended to cut off our left arms. They are actually still attached, secretly tucked around our back. Our left arms are not readily accessible and can only be brought out in private. To bring out your left arm in public means incurring the wrath of society for only pretending to conform all of this time. Non CD people are confused and scared when they see someone with a left arm, these people broke the ground rules and are thus a threat to society’s stability. Non CD people find it difficult to understand why anybody would want to keep their left arm anyway.

Phew Helana, that WAS long, and very deep (no comments about actresses and bishops please), but I tend to agree with you. I'm sure it's more behavioural than influenced by what happens in the womb (what is hormone wash anyway? my education is incomlpete!).
    I like your "back door" analogy too. I can identify with that. I only take a few paces outside that back door on odd occasions because my wife is still out at the front, whilst the true TS locks the door behind him (her?) eventually.
    Got any more theories?

Toni

Tristen Cox
    Unfortunately this inevitably meant a loss in individuality.
    And a loss of the freedom of choice.

I agree with your theory indeed Helana. Very well written, and worth the read although a bit long, I enjoyed it. May I only add that as a transexual there is really no back door from where you are inside. The inside IS the back door and sometimes quite difficult to not show on the outside. But thats another discussion. Good post

Love & hugs
    Tristen

Helana,

Well...time now for me to schedule an appointment with yet another therapist again! I agree with you and yet your theory doesn't really explain my experience. I had a typical 1950's and 1960's upbringing. Totally male oriented. Sports, playing "war". Friends were all male and best buds. Didn't play with girls, or play with dolls, or play house, etc. No sisters with friends to "dress" me up and embarrass me and make me feel "girly." All my role models, grandfather, father, older brother, were manly and not femme in any way and chauvinistic as well. So..."Lucy...you got some s'plainin' to do!"

I'll go and call my 4th therapist now while awaiting your reply Helana.

*now...say thank you to Helana, Christine!*

THANKS HELANA!!!!!!!!

Helana, thankyou for your post well thought and very well writen, I dont know about brains and developement but I do know about gender asignment and being told as to where we fit in as being either male or female, as far back as I can remember abour age 4 or 5 I always enjoyed playing with girls and doing the things they did at age 6 I would have rather played tea party than cowboys and indians, but was told that little boys didnt do things like that, that little boys played with guns and trucks and were rough and tough oh and boys don't cry and what a disapointment it was to my parents when I didnt want to conform to the male role ( and who wants to disapoint their parents ) so I went out and played with guns and trucks and bit my lip and didnt cry and hated every minute of it, I found the back door at age 8 or 9 and thank God it wasnt locked it was a place that I could go for a few minutes an a time and be who I really was and not fear ridicule and perscution (so what if I had to do it in private) it was such a relief that I could let the feminine me come out and be truly happy with who I was at that moment in time befor I had to come back in and be the person that I hated so much I am sory this has gotten so long so I will close it with this 5 words in the Bible-- Uniquely Different Created He Them-- which means to me the God created every man and woman different from all others so what if I am a little different than the next man on the street or that every woman it the world doesnt fit into the same mold we were all created uniquely different for His pleasure.

I hope this makes some kind of sence to you--- it is just my rambelings and how I feel so if it dont I guess thats ok too.
    Love and Hugs Tracie Lynn

~~Post Modern Romantic~~ KewTnCurvy GG's Avatar
    I disagree:

Gender is...........

Biological
    Sociological
    Psychological

It's a combination of all and probably some factors not even yet identified. And as for ever figuring it out, pointing to "The Reason". I don't think this will happen as I think it is just as I said a combination of factors colluding just so.

Okay, my 2 cents again (it's starting to add up grrlz).

hugs
    kew
    ~Dear Dorothy,
    Hate Oz, took the shoes, find your own way home.
    Toto~

Vickie-CD
    Interesting thoughts and worth reading. Personaly my beliefe is one shoe does not fit all.There are so many levels of x-dressing, and so many individual reasons for it, I think it would be impossible for any theory or study to pinpoint a single reason for such a broad range. What many people do not want to hear, is that there are many behaviors that just simply do not have any conclusive answeres in the scientific and medical community. You can diesect and self analyze yourself all you want, but at the end of the day, you are still who you are.
    Love to All,
    Vickie

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie-CD
    Interesting thoughts and worth reading. Personaly my beliefe is one shoe does not fit all.There are so many levels of x-dressing, and so many individual reasons for it, I think it would be impossible for any theory or study to pinpoint a single reason for such a broad range. What many people do not want to hear, is that there are many behaviors that just simply do not have any conclusive answeres in the scientific and medical community. You can diesect and self analyze yourself all you want, but at the end of the day, you are still who you are.
    Love to All,
    Vickie
    Vickie,
    That was my conclusion too after wrapping up my final session with my 3rd therapist a couple of years ago. First, trying to comprehend it all, and then trying to explain the unexplainable. (?)

Yeah...at the end of the day...you are who you are!

Love,
    Christine

I disagree.

I have been doing a lot of resurch on the subject of cd's and the "causes". So far everything I have read seems to indicate much the same thing on matter where I find it. Now I do realize that much of this research is done by the same people and simply copied but it does seem to indicatethat there has been quite a bit of time spent in search of the "truth".

For one thing, as I have said in previous posts. There is a gland in the brain that controls the hormon levels in the brain that has been medically proven to be the same in mtf cd's as it is in women. This gland controls when the body releases hormones into the blood stream. Which would indicate to me that the brain is telling the body that we need this hormone and the body is fighting to release it and simply can't because we were not born with the proper equipment to do so.

Also the idea that we are not exposed to hormones in the womb I have a hard time with just simply because before we are born we depend on mom for all of our body functions via the embilical cord. That is the reason for not giving the mother harsh drugs for anything while she is caring the baby. Thus, if the mothers hormone levels become more imbalanced than normal during pregnancy then the baby will feel the effects of that imbalance and it could cause changes in the development of the baby. As proof of this simply look at crack babies. Now the baby has never used crack but they are still born with the dependancey because the mother has it and she passed it on.

As for the timing in life of the gender role appearence, it seems to me that we begin to desplay some gender charactaristics at birth. Especially girls. Due to the fact that the body begins to produce hormones to help in the development of the body.

But I do think that the theory is just as sound as any other that has been proposed by the "professional" community and should be researched further if for no other reason than simply the fact that since it was proposed by a cd there might be some truth or insight in it that will lead us to something else that will give more insight into why we are the way we are.

As for it being a choice that is made early in life I just can't agree because if it was a choice that we made when we were young and not some uncontrolable factor that made us cd's then there would be no such thing as cd's because society would force us to accept the "norm". We are taught from early childhood that we are suppose to act a certian way and if we don't then we are "wierd". And it can't be completely influenced by our surroundings because if it was then those of us who had strong male influences as children would not become cd's because of that influence. I truly believe that our fem side is influenced more by biology than by outside influence and thus out of our control and as a result we get cd's who can not help but live with it and learn to deal with it or suffer from the attempt to hide or deny it. Though I am not convinced that it is mom's hormones that cause it due to the fact that I have heard more than one cd say that they have a child who is also a cd. Even when the child has never been directly explsed to the life and has always had a "normal" childhood. Maybe there are social issues that contribute to it but I really believe the underlying factors are actually controled more by the development of the brain than anything around us.

huggs
    anna
    [SIZE=5]Be who you are not who others think you should be.
    May the Great Spirit Bless you in all things.[SIZE=2]
    My website: [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=2]http://360.yahoo.com/mrsanna_25
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=2] The Be-All Website: http://www.be-all.org/
    The National Center for Transgender Equality http://www.nctequality.org/
    [/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

Since I can only speak on my own history, I need to disagree with this theory Helana, although I'm sure it is valid in your case. I don't think there is one set rule for why we become transgendered.
    Until I reached puberty, or at least thereabouts, I lived a typical boys life, never having any desire to play any so-called "girls" games. At around age twelve or so, I had this sudden and unexplainable urge to try on some of my older sister's clothing that had been left lying in the bathroom we shared. She had been leaving her clothes lying around for quite some time, but for some reason, on this particular day, it dawned on me that I wanted to see what it was like to put them on. My urges have only grown since then.
    I lived a very sheltered life back then, totally unaware of anyone who wore the clothing of the opposite sex. For several years, I thought I was a freak, totally unique in this frightening desire of mine. Hence, I pretty much eliminate learned behavior from my own TG history.
    I have come to the conclusion that some mis-alligned genetic "connection" was triggered when my hormones began surging. While I was happy with the changes being made in my male body, I also had this other side of me emerge, which has only grown stronger as I've come to understand myself and have grown accepting of who I am.
    It would be interesting to find out exactly what it is that makes me who I am, but I doubt it will ever happen, and I doubt it would even matter.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Sharon, your history is very, very similar to that of my own. Another thing I forgot to mention was that my mom was on female hormones during the time that I was conceived. I have always wondered if that contributed heavily to my femme desires. I started at age 12 too and my upbringing and environment just do not support my female explorations and tendencies as a pre-pubescent.

Sorry Helana.

Love,
    Christine

How about something a lot simpler.

Like, we are all eternal beings. We live after we die. Some of us were male and some of us were female.

Then some of us decide to come back again, to be reborn.

We carry with us impressions of our gender from past lives. We may have been female and come back as male. Our female persona is still very much alive and well and still with us.

Just like very butch females who haven't given up their male persona.

Might help explain being gay as well.

Past lives and experiences appears to be on the verge of being scientifically proven.

Anyone got any better ideas?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've often thought about this myself Bernadina. Do you think that this means that Mistress Tamara is really the Marquis De Sade???

It would explain a lot! (um..she hasn't got here yet has she???....ok...I'm goin' back under the bus now....SAVE YOURSELF!!!)

Poll

I am new to this forum and I really don't have much of an opinion yet. I am a GG(just found out what it means from my CD'er husband) and I find the discussion very thought provoking.
    I recently found out that he is a CD'er and I am surprised at my level of acceptance. We have talked alot about this and he has indicated to me that he "knew" he was different at age 8. The urge to try on girl's clothing was as he quoted "overwhelming and shaming at the same time" I can only imagine how difficult that might have been for him.
    I have decided that my initial "Why ain't I freaking out over this? Am I missing something here?" is definatley not what is considered the "norm" for a GG who finds out she is married to a CD'er. Most GG I understand flip out. I didn't.
    Accepting who he wishes to be has proven to be the key.
    We may not really know why it has happened. It just has, so now what?
    Thank you for allowing me to read and try to understand the difficulties you have faced. It truly helps me to be a better, understanding wife.

Girls have more fun!!

Question Heavy, but good.

I saw that several responses mentioned urges early on...I know that I first felt the urge to wear my mother's clothing when I was 5. Of course, I had to secretly do it but that was no problem since I was apparently a latch key kid [didn't know that until I was in
    my 40's.] I spent a lot of time alone except for Rachel.

Sure, I used to go out and play "army" but I remember never:

1. Wanting to get my hands dirty.
    2. Wanting to get into a fight.
    3. Wanting to play sports.
    4. Wanting to do things with Dad.

I used to build model planes and would end up using my model paint to paint my finger nails. [Age 7]

I had more fun playing with my girl cousins...hopscotch, hide and seek, dress up.

When I really stop to think about it, I always played at being a "boy" but always felt like Rachel.

hmmmm.
    Rachel Elizabeth

An analogy would be that non-CD people agreed to cut off their left arms to conform as children. Crossdressers only pretended to cut off our left arms. They are actually still attached, secretly tucked around our back.
    While I think there are a number of different paths which lead different men to crossdress, I thought the above analogy was spectacular.

I disagree with your theory.
    I see it that people dress in a variety of styles from heavy metal goths to annoraks. A goth would not wear an annorak and an annorak would not dress as a goth because they would not feel comfortable in that clothing.
    The same can be said for crossdressers, we dress in a way that we feel is right for us. The only problem is this is not socialy accepted and that is why we dress in secret.
    Just my thought on this subject, i'm sure there are many different theories.

Vickie-CD
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernadina
    How about something a lot simpler.

Like, we are all eternal beings. We live after we die. Some of us were male and some of us were female.

Then some of us decide to come back again, to be reborn.

We carry with us impressions of our gender from past lives. We may have been female and come back as male. Our female persona is still very much alive and well and still with us.

Just like very butch females who haven't given up their male persona.

Might help explain being gay as well.

Past lives and experiences appears to be on the verge of being scientifically proven.

Anyone got any better ideas?
    Bernadina, I am also very much "into" past life regression, paranormal etc...
    If we are reincarnated, perhaps some of us bring a little luggage with us when we are reborn, such as female traits from a previous life as a female. Could also explain why people seem to have a "natural" ability for this and that. Who knows, just maybe!
    Love,
    Vickie

Very thought provoking posts. I am positive that I have two personalities,
    and am only now beggining to understand. Cristine...I think I need the name of a good therapist now and some more of those red and blue pills.

Love and Hugs
    Priscilla
    Love and Hugs,
    Priscilla

Life is astonishing in its variety, nearly infinite in its variations. And yet how we humans love to categorize things, to neatly arrange them in cubbyholes and stereotypes. How many points of subtle variation are possible in mapping genders and attributing traits? Enough to defy a slide rule, I would think.

I don't pretend to know beans about hormones and genes, or the human psyche, but my instincts attribute gender blurring to four causal phenomena, all capable separately or in combination of producing "dysphoria":
    1. Hormonal / genetic predisposition, probably tracing back to the vagaries of DNA, natal development and synaptic (mis)firing.
    2. Evironmental conditioning, either intentional or unintentional.
    3. Willful adaptation at any time between pre-pubescence and the grave as a means of expressing innate or evolutionary sensibilities that transcend stereotypes.
    4. Mental, emotional or sexual dysfunction.
    I am curious as to why so many men seem to turn to crossdressing relatively late in life, often in their fifties.

Vickie-CD
    Quote Originally Posted by sherribicd
    Life is astonishing in its variety, nearly infinite in its variations. And yet how we humans love to categorize things, to neatly arrange them in cubbyholes and stereotypes. How many points of subtle variation are possible in mapping genders and attributing traits? Enough to defy a slide rule, I would think.

I don't pretend to know beans about hormones and genes, or the human psyche, but my instincts attribute gender blurring to four causal phenomena, all capable separately or in combination of producing "dysphoria":
    1. Hormonal / genetic predisposition, probably tracing back to the vagaries of DNA, natal development and synaptic (mis)firing.
    2. Evironmental conditioning, either intentional or unintentional.
    3. Willful adaptation at any time between pre-pubescence and the grave as a means of expressing innate or evolutionary sensibilities that transcend stereotypes.
    4. Mental, emotional or sexual dysfunction.
    I am curious as to why so many men seem to turn to crossdressing relatively late in life, often in their fifties.
    Sherri, you brought something to my attention I have not noticed, after a little thought, you are right about so many men that turn to dressing later in life. Myself, it was my pre-teens, but for those who start in mid-life has me puzzled. That was a very sharp observation on your part, this now has my curiosity up.
    Best Wishes,
    Vickie

Lets see if a little light reading helps:

I support the postition that we are born transgendered.

Whether it is a hormone wash, genetics, neuron brain wiring, or any combination thereof, these are being looked into. See:

http://content.gay.com/people/trans_...ch_000814.html

Research would need to be done on a larger scale and repeated before it would be considered conclusive.

Additionally, recent research has been conducted at UCLA. Dr. Eric Vilain has been researching human genetics and how they affect pre-natal development prior to hormones. He and his team have discovered 54 genes that link to gender. Prior to this discovery, it was believed that hormones did everything in distinguishing the body between males and females. However, these genes are activated before the SRY gene switches on. That's the gene responsible for the testosterone hormone wash in the Y chromosome.

Of the 54 genes, 18 were produced at higher levels in the male, and 36 were produced at higher levels in the female. This research could help to determine where transgender comes from. It may have everything to do with why transsexuals report feeling that they were born in the wrong body. However, as of now the research continues. Eventually we will have that answer.

NOW, regarding Helana's theory. What was it? I'm sorry, but I've read the post through several times but did not see a theory statement. I am not attacking her, nor the few of you have agreed with her, I just can't find the theory in the post.

By age 6 we are forced to transition from babies into children. Our behavioral patterns must conform to gender roles which are reinforced by our exposure to the outside world through attending school. However many children will realize that their personalities and gender roles conflict in some areas
    Here is a mention of 'personalities', at age 6, and the conflict between that and their asigned birth gender results in 'gender dysphoria'.

Many CD's have indicated that they started CDing at 4 or 5. Before going to school. Some believe they should have been born a girl (boy in F2M cases).

So here's a couple questions I'd like an answer to:

Why do these children have 'personalities' that conflict with their assigned birth gender?

Consider the fact that many parents, raising a son, buys him 'boy' toys, but the boy would rather play with dolls. Why?

Why is 'gender dysphoria' a result of the conflict, instead of the conflict being a result of 'gender dysphoria' ?

In fact probably the majority of children do experience mild gender dysphoria between ages 6-10 as they try to align their personalities with the pressure from society to conform to their gender roles.
    To me, it is the 'gender dysphoria' that results in the conflict between the childs 'personality' and societies idea of gender roles.

Most children resolve the conflict by abandoning those traits which are deemed inappropriate. The child realizes that it is not worth the effort to swim against the flow, going with the flow is much easier and there are benefits in conformity. In the child’s mind the undesirable traits are walled off , discarded and are never revisited again for the remainder of their lives. In essence gender conformity pushes children into killing off parts of their personality.
    Just because a child conforms does not mean he/she has resolved the conflict. More than likely it will resurface. Consider all the T-girls on this forum that had the 'conflict' in their early years (3, 4, 5, 6 . . .9?) and conformed to what was expected of them, yet here they are, because the conflict was only on a time-out, and it resurfaced later in life (13, 14, . . .26 . . .50).

Crossdressers also agree to conform to gender roles and also build a wall around these undesirable traits in our own personalities. The difference is that we find a way to bypass the gender rules. We build a secret backdoor in the wall which allows us to slip into and out of the forbidden area on the other side of the wall. For male crossdressers this means once we pass through the backdoor we enter a world of pure femininity. We decide not to discard our feminine traits but keep them well hidden and only accessible privately. But to the outside world we appear as normal gender conforming boys.
    So, now the term 'crossdressers' has entered into the "Theory", but there has been no discussion how or why they become 'crossdressers'. Instead we are back to the the question "So why are we crossdressers?", with no answer. If I missed the answer, please enlighten me.

(Note that this CD, me, has very few feminine characteristics, other than dressing and wearing makeup. So I have never entered a 'world of pure femininity'.)

Crossdressing is the key or trigger that unlocks the secret backdoor in the wall that we built ourselves in our heads to fence off feminine characteristics and interests which society instructed us were taboo in our childhood.
    Where did these 'feminine characteristics' come from?
    All through the "Theory" there is mention of conformity to ones birth gender. For a boy that means sports, playing army, fighting, etc. So, where did the 'feminine characteristics' come from?

When we crossdress we are in fact entering an area of pure femininity and are reconnecting with our original whole self – the part that we did not reject as society instructed us to.
    "Our original whole self"

Does this not include that part of our selves that we were not cognizant of before birth? During the first couple of years of life?

My dad was a military man, a hunter, a fisherman, an outdoorsman. I participated in all these. I have four brothers, no sisters. Was 'all boy' up to the age of 10~12 when I started CDing.

So there was no society influence on me to cause be to be a CD. So why am I a CD? Born this way.

Consider the boy who had to undergo GRS because of a circumcision accident when an infant. The child was raised as a girl, yet she was conflicted. She didn't know why she was conflicted for quite sometime.

Why was she conflicted if the theory that our gender role is influenced by society? She killed herself once she found out.

Consider the twin girls raised exactly the same, yet one always believed she should have been born a boy, and eventually undergoes GRS. Why was she conflicted if the theory that our gender role is influenced by society?

http://www.endeavourforum.org.au/October2000-8.htm

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=25350

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=174855&page=1

So, what ever the cause, be it hormones, genetics, etc. Proof is that our Gender Identity and being transgendered is something we are born with.
    Last edited by DonnaT; 02-01-2005 at 07:19 PM.
    DonnaT

I pretty much agree with Sherri. I think it's dangerous to try and adopt a one-size-fits-all theroy to a system a complex as the human being. The reasons people participate in various activities are as varied as the the number of people in the world. For example, why do people walk? Some do so because they find pleasure in the activity. Some do it because it satisfies a need they have to exercise. Still others walk because they have no other means of getting from place to place. And the list could go on and on.

The reasons we dress are as numerous as there are members of this forum. Although it MAY be interesting to understand the why's of CDing I'm not convinced that there is any practical value in it for me. If I knew why, would I stop? That's not even an option for me. To me, my time would be better spent coming to a deeper understanding of who I am and celebrating my life.

All that said, Helana, I do appreciate your post and it has helped me take a deeper look inside and become more at peace with who I am. Wheather it is due to chemistry, environment, paranormal activity, or whatever, it really doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that this is the way we are. Let's celebrate that fact!
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Holly
    To me, my time would be better spent coming to a deeper understanding of who I am and celebrating my life.
    To me, threads like this make the forum worth participating in, and greater understanding does in fact make me feel better about myself and my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly
    The fact of the matter is that this is the way we are. Let's celebrate that fact!
    You're absolutely right. After a certain amount of navel-gazing, we shouldn't forget to let our hair down and just dance! Can you turn the music up, and, um, get a little closer please.

I read through all these posts, and while I appreciate everything you wrote, Helena, I'm not sure. Some of what you say does make sense. But I am not a behavioralist or any other kind of scientist, so I don't really know.

I tend to agree with Holly and Sheri. There are so many degrees of crossdressing and I would bet that there are just as many reasons. Was it Nature or Nuture for me? I simply don't know. And alot like religion, I'm pretty comfortable in saying I don't know

My attraction to not just women's clothing, but to feeling female at times, started very early,at age 4. It progressed over the years, sometimes subsided, then progressed again.

Having said that, I was never unhappy being a boy, or a man. I was always very athletic, and loved sports. and all through my young life, I loved that. and just as much loved the times when I could be a girl. There simply never was a conflict for me. Not in that sense, anyway. Today, I love being female. Often. But would never give up the things that make me one of the guys. Or the things that make me Melissa. I think both make me who I am.

As for why, I have to say, at this point, I don't care.

The only diference between my younger life and now, is that all the shame, worry, and hiding is over. And I have someone who accepts all of me.

Knowing why, I'm sure, will not make me any happier than I am, or change my behavior.

Two thoughts: If Hormones, or pre birth experiences had anything to do with this, Why is my brother, born just two years later, not a cd? (same mom!)

And if early childhood experiences had anything to do with this, why is my brother, who grew up in the same house, not a crossdresser?

My point really isnt a point. Some of you may have answers to those questions. I know I have, if I'm lucky, another 45 years left here. I am happy with who I am. I intend to enjoy this second half of my life. Being me. However that came about.

Hugs,

Melissa