Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's time to give this up!

Lightbulb It's time to give this up!

Hi Everyone,

After 30+ years of dressing, many years of heartache, angst, and confusion, some years of acceptance, I have made a decision to quit CDing. I had an epiphany 2 weeks back when I had an entire weekend alone to dress to my hearts content. Without going into excruciating detail I've come to the realization that this is not a positive, uplifting thing for me. It is a detriment to some areas of my life. I have chosen to dress countless times when I could have participated in other activities that would benefitted myself and family more than dressing ever did. It's NOT about being "normal" or more of a man. Much thought, contemplation, prayer, and reflection has gone into this decision. This is the right thing to do for myself and family at this time in my life. My wife, who knew about the CDing before we were married, is very pleased with my decision. She also had no clue I reached this decision until after the fact.

I am NOT saying that anyone else here should quit, just sharing what's happening with me. I, like many of you have attempted this before only to come back. I know the general consensus in here to a thread like this is "You'll quit for a time, but you'll be back". The main difference between the other times and this time is when the urge hit me in the past I meekly succumbed to it. I'm not naive enough to think I won't have urges, thoughts, dreams, weak moments, etc. I have enough self awareness to know the things that trigger it most. I've overcome alcohol and drug addictions for 12+ years, so I know the things that need to be done and have a track record of success. I also have a support system in place. The only day I need to not dress is today. As 12 steppers say, One Day at a Time.

Everything is packed up and ready for the big purge tomorrow. I know many of you will cringe at the P word. I have purged in the past. Needless to say those actions were a temporary solution. One thing I'm sure of today, I ain't gonna succeed if it's all still here. I've been "CD free" for two weeks now and have been visiting here to see if any threads, comments, stories, might cause me to have a change of heart before I purge. None have. I will always be a CDer, just a non practicing one, just as I'll always be an alcoholic/addict..but a sober one.

This isn't the end of something, but rather a new beginning. Time will tell if I can succeed. It won't be easy. Just because I say THAT'S IT today is no guarantee it will last. One day at a Time!

I still believe people and society should be accepting of CDers and not look down on us. I still hope the day will come when all people accept others for who they are on the inside and not what they wear on the outside. Did I say I'm not naive I wish everyone here happiness, peace, and contentment. Take care everyone.

"The CD formerly known as Salina"

My Heroes Wore Nylons Lovely Rita's Avatar
    I respect your decision and I wish you the best, as I believe everyone else here does. I appreciate your thoughts and I believe that if it is something you really want to do you will succeed. Look forward and don't look back.

All the best to you and your family.

Sincerely
    Hugs

Lovely Rita

The journey is about learning how to love and to do it with all our heart.

The Revolution moves forward!!!!!
    aspiring to be "part of the cure and not the disease."
    to quote Cold Play.

Becoming the person I was created to be
    not the person you expect me to be

"Girls Just Want to Have FUN!"

You don't need an excuse to Love just an opportunity!

Hi Salina,

Good luck dear, sounds like you're doing what you need to do right now. You're right, I can see in my own life how dressing has had detrimental effects too. It may not be a popular thing to say in a place like this, but let's face it, transgender issues can cause and have caused many, many heartaches and ruined many marriages.

I realize that many people and their SO's deal with gender issues just fine, but we're not all the same, not all in the same situations, so we all need to live our lives based on what's best for each of us.

So if you really want to stop, and are able to, then more power to you. You're doing it for love, the best of reasons.

Best wishes from me!!

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Salina: One thing that is nice for you to know is that the members here will always be sympathetic and understanding of your plight and concerns.
    CDA, perhaps... cross dressers anonymous?!?!?
    In any case, don't be afraid to drop in for a chat!
    Last edited by MarieTS; 02-23-2007 at 09:00 PM.
    Marie

Good luck......

Best of luck in your decision. It is true it take's away from other area's of your life.

I hope all goes good for ya. Hey 30 years is a good run ( thats half a lifetime).
    Bored? Try wearing a pretty dress. It's fun.

All I can do is wish you the best Salina, you seem to have thought this out and have weighed the pluses and the negatives. As you say, you do have a support system and I applaud that. Remember though, we will still be here even if it is just for some moral support.
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

I'm sure that you know what is best for you Salina, but pleast do check in with us from time-to-time. I'd still like us to be friends even if you don't want to dress anymore. I don't think that should make any differance at all anyway. You'll always be the same person.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar
    If you were completely done with this some how I suspect that you would not have posted your message at all. The fact that you posted a message speaks volumes about how much you, like so many of us, do not, cannot, stop being who we are.

Huggs
    Melissa
    What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...

Good for you, Man!

That is one of the most thoughful posts on this site. I wish you the best in your future and your family's future. Peace.

I live in the New Orleans Area of Louisiana.

Good Luck

All the best to you!
    Love From Your Sister Michelle
    Flowers are for the Heart, the Mind, and the Soul

girl next door
    I know what you nean about dressing crowding out other opportunities and such. It was mainly for that reason that I stepped down from the staff here last month, to (as the politicians say) spend more time with my family. I still do come here, but spend far less time here than previously. It's worked out well for me so far. Maybe you'll be back, maybe you won't. Either way, I wish you peace and contentment. xoxo Tammi
    Last edited by uknowhoo; 02-24-2007 at 09:44 AM.
    [SIZE="3"]
    my wish for you is peace
    [/SIZE]

lo·gom·a·chy /loʊˈgɒməki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[loh-gom-uh-kee] –noun, plural -chies.
    1. a dispute about or concerning words.
    2. an argument or debate marked by the reckless or incorrect use of words; meaningless battle of words

Dear Salina,

I can empathize with you completely. Cding has been a part of my life for over forty years and I have tried to denigh it for as long. It has colored my life and defined it yet it has also been a burden and a shame and an obstacle in many ways I have often wished I could be free of it. you will be in my prayers and I wish you only good things. If by chance to revisit this part of your life remember you have not failed and you will always find a warm acceptance and understanding here.

Jennifer
    Born female intended

" Don't die with your music still in you!"

Banned Read only
    We'll leave the light on for you.

Come back and say hello

Salina,

If you truly wish to be sucessful at leaving behind our quirky little pastime, you will be. I join the rest of your sisters, or brothers, depending on your point of view, in wishing you success, contentment and happiness.

Some time in the next several months, you should come back and check in with us. Assuming you have been successful in putting the girly life behind you, it's important for us, and for you, to tell us that.

Vaya con Dios, querida. Strange as it may seem, I'm rooting for you.

Hugs,
    Susie

If it feels right from the heart and without regret than do it. Remeber we'll keep the light on just in case you need us. Good luck!

Good luck in he future, I very much share you;r thoughts and feelings. Although I still dress, I also have paid the price, a marriage, friends, and as you mentioned things I could have done that would have ben more benificial to me and my family, but so be it, it's water under the bridge. Good luck again.

Best of...

..Decisions are made...Barriers are crossed (one way or another) ..then... "reality sets in " ...
    I wish You a fine "new" reality then Salina !! xx "K"
    Just Remember,"Wherever You go- There You are ! "

Quote Originally Posted by Salina View Post
    I had an epiphany 2 weeks back when I had an entire weekend alone to dress to my hearts content.
    I have often wondered if dressing for a long period of time
    without rushing or hiding would diminish the overall thrill and excitement of this part of me.

I believe that too much of a good thing can reveal an objective truth.

I believe that you can beat this if you want to by drawing from your epiphany.

I wish you the best of luck and respect your decision.

Jacqui

I left the forum in late October, and packed most of my stuff away. A few weeks ago, I started checking, then posting a bit. I hadn't applied breast forms for months, but have worn them 6 outof 8 days recently. I only re-discovered dressing a couple of years ago, but I have invested a couple thousand dollars and weeks of time. I don't regret it, I just recognize that it displaces other priorities.
    When I told my GF that Wenda hadn't been around for some time, she was a bit disappointed. From her initial fear that I had 'become homosexual', she has come to regard Wenda as a separate friend.
    For me, and it seems for others, this ebbs and flows. All the best in the next chapter of your life. As the others have said, you will always have friends here, and we would be pleased to hear how it's going. As you noted, once an addict, always an addict, only sober. Probably, once a CD always a CD, only not dressing.
    Please keep in touch. wenda.

Thanks for gutsy sharing.

Salina, I can identify with your sharing. Cding, has to be a tightly kept secret, with many of us. I could have gone biking, skating, played hoops, fishing, wrote songs, and more, but, I chose to dress, in spare, private times, often. We are all a work in progress, at different levels, each with things to learn, overcome, experience. One day, or one minute at a time, you will do well, even if you slip up, once in a while. I am single, with no SO. You have a wife, and family. You have their hearts, to consider, and I applaud you, for making your decision. I am not there, in a family, like you are, but know this cding, can bring seen, and unforeseen problems. Almost everything can, for that matter. Success, in what ever you do, or don/t do. Lucille

Hi Salina, I can only say our individual journey is about self discovery. I've certainly had my share of it in the past year. The main thing is that regardless of who you are or what your appearance is, you will always be our friend. We appreciate you as a person. I wish you well in all your future endeavors my friend.
    Last edited by Kate Simmons; 02-24-2007 at 06:18 AM.

Givin' it up!

Salina,

I read your note with a particular focus regarding your thoughts. I can tell that you have thought this through for a good period of time. I have to say that I agree with you. If your crossdressing has taken time away from your family, time that is truly precious, then it is no different than being drunk or strung out. When you made a commitment to your wife and began a family, you made a commitment to be there for them. Let nothing get in the way of that.

I don't see crossdressing as a hobby or an escape where others in one's family can participate. Unlike many other things, like camping, riding motorcycles or doing yard work, crossdressing, many times, is a solitary endeavour. You have chosen your course well. I'm certain you'll be successful at staying on course with the mindset that you have.

Hugs,

Ginger

Salina, I also very much respect the decision you made. I'm sure it was a difficult one. Please know I wish the best for you and for your family, for today and in the future! Be safe and be well!
    GO RED SOX!!!

Suzie

Salina, Good luck with your commitment. You sound as though you will be successful. As for your "track record", motivation is the key. I suppose the only exception that I take to your statements is the basis for your success. I do not equate cding with the destructive behaviors of alcohol and drug abuse. Certainly abuse of any kind is unhealthy, and yes, dressing can be abused as well, but I think one must choose to do anything within responsible limits. Dressing, for whatever reasons, is a lifelong need of mine.
    Because of lack of acceptance by others, I have limited, hidden, obstained from, and denied this part of me. The result in my case is that I overcompensated and interfered with the more loving and compationate person I might have been. I do not dress nearly as often or as openly as I would like to, I operate within limits that for now anyway, work for me. I see nothing destructive in this, and believe it to be a positive force in my life. It is a part of my nature.

Again, I wish you success in whatever you do. Hugs, Louise