Thread: MAC cosmetic consulting

MAC cosmetic consulting

Hi all,

I'm going to head to a MAC store in the next few days for a consulting. Basically, I do my own makeup, but always look like a guy in makeup, and am hoping for some great tips from them, regarding how to soften my admittedly masculine features.

I've read nothing but good things from their artists. They offer a 90 minute makeup class for 90 bucks. Is this worth it, or do you just go in and sit down.

Thx,
    -Sedona

Silver Member
    I think most people just go in and sit down. I would start with that. Then you can discuss just what you would get from a longer, more formal class. $90 is a lot of money, but if you can really learn something it might be money well spent. I suspect, though that competence with makeup come from practice, practice, and then more practice, rather than a class.

Lovies,
    Steph

Banned Read only

MAC and the cost.

I'm in Canada, so it may be different elsewhere. There are a number of ways to approach a MAC counter. The best way at first is to just say hello and be honest about what you are doing. Tell them you are new at this and looking for pointers, or perhaps you would like to try out something for beard cover, or whatever. Often they will do a little bit for free if they haven't seen you before as an intro. Often they will do a little work if you buy something, like maybe their fantastic lashes...just be honest and say you don't know how to apply them and they will do you up. Don't be shy. Ask when they are least busy and go then. MAC artists love to do makeup, that's why their in it!
    Finally you can ask for a makeover appoiontment. I had one on Montreal....tout fantastique mais oui!...and it was fourty bucks, but I looked and felt like a million at the end.

So....as Picard and Kirk say...boldly go...but honestly and smartly...you'll have a blast.

Are you going to the one in Kenwood? I'd be very interested to hear how the class goes, and if it's worth it.

The Makeup Artists at the Kenwood store are great. I shop there pretty frequently, and they are really helpful with ideas for new looks and such.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

Southern California - San Gabriel Valley - Covina
    I also agree on passing up the class. my wife and i were shopping in our local mall and she wanted to stop by the MAC counter for some lipstick. I asked one of the girls there about what they had as far as a decent beard cover. next thing i found myself in the chair with her applying a great powder foundation/cover while she was foinf that i was asking her soe questions about eye shadow and then she was was doing my eyes with four different shades of green that just look FANTASTIC!

I would pass on the class and just go ask one of the girls for some make up advice/suggestions. they will ALWAYS be more then hapy to sit you down and doll you up. and then you take that 90.00 and put it towards some of the items that she used on you.

I went in for advice rather than a class (I didn't even know about the class). I had a very good experience--good advice, helpful hints, a pleasant conversation.
    I bought some make-up and feel as though I received enough help to get me a few steps farther in my efforts to practice and make myself up better.
    warmly, Linnea

I'd like to have a seat and a cosmetics chat with the MAC people...working up that nerve is part of my goal now, but I'm also thinking that once applied, I have to get home etc with the makeup on...all these things to consider.

By the way, MAC's current promotion 'The Barbie Look' looks like TOO MUCH FUN!! Heck, who wouldn't like to look like Barbie?

Went To Macy's

Quote Originally Posted by linnea View Post
    I went in for advice rather than a class (I didn't even know about the class). I had a very good experience--good advice, helpful hints, a pleasant conversation.
    I bought some make-up and feel as though I received enough help to get me a few steps farther in my efforts to practice and make myself up better.
    <------------- Avatar

Ditto's for me too. I first went there just to get a descent foundation, but I asked the artist to go further. I spent 190.00 on products and got some good tips and advice. I wasn't pushed or hurried. They were great. BTW go to MAC's web sight. You can email them with your questions under "Ask An Artist." It takes about twenty four hours to get a reply.
    Good luck Sedona and get back to us.

Hi, and thanks ladies,

Ok, I'll just go in and plop on down. For the first time, I agree that it'd be nice to hang onto 90 dollars if they'll give out some tips (I'll make sure to buy tho).

BTW LisaK, I'll be at a MAC in Los Angeles.

Cheers, and I'll post a new thread afterwards (don't know when quite yet)
    -Sedona

Banned Read only
    Sedona - are you going to MAC in drag or drab?

I don't think any kind of makeup can help a masculine face except for hiding the beard.

M.A.C. also does FREE make-overs a few times a year as an event. The only catch is, if you're shy you might be overwhelmed by all the extra technicians and several people getting make-overs there with you (mine is tomorrow!)

M.A.C. is well known for being transgender friendly (the one I go to has a guy there who also does a drag/entertainment act at another job).

They will be more than happy to answer any of your questions anytime you go there-- it helps sell make-up!

About their foundation-- I found it to be a bit too sheer for my face, so I can't imagine it will help much as a beard cover.

Their soft, shimmery eye shadows are fantastic, though.

And psstt-- go to Sophoria and get DIORSHOW mascara for killer lashes.

Last edited by susandrea; 02-28-2007 at 11:21 PM.
    ....we are all made of stardust

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Well I went to mac in drab and walk out as a girl. The deal was that they wanted you to buy $50 worth of make up . If you get a big enough group you can negotionate . They figure that some will buy enough make to make it worth it

I agree with the others, don't pay for a class. Go in with your $90 and tell them that is how much you have to spend for makeup. And be sure to tell them you need instruction on how to use the products you are getting. Not to long ago, I got a mini makeover, and I don't think I spent over $49...BJ

Aspiring Member
    A few things about MAC.

Like other have said, skip the class, the working girls will be glad to show you how to apply makeup.

They do not charge for makeovers. That is only at their PRO stores. If you just go to a regular store the makeover will cost you nothing. Of course it's polite to at least buy something.

Lastly, don't be nervous. They will treat you like any other customer. Really they will. Don't forget, you don't have to get a FULL makeover. You can get just your eyes done or just foundation. It's up to you. You don't even need a makeover if you have questions. Just go in and chat with them.

Remember folks, it's makeup, it washes off. It's just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
    Sedona - are you going to MAC in drag or drab?

I don't think any kind of makeup can help a masculine face except for hiding the beard.

Going in drab, and planning on leaving that way. I don't have any dilusions of looking like Halle Berry, but I do know that I can be doing better things to diminish my jawline, brow ridge etc. . .

I've got a pretty decent handle on what to do with makeup from books I have, but want some tips from a live pro. And, as far as beard cover, after having used Dermablend and Colortration, I like Prescriptives the best. We'll see what MAC has to offer.
    -Sedona

Yea Stacie is not my real
    I had a make up lesson at MAC and had a great time. After your done they will give you wipes to clean up if you want to. I do think you will enjoy yourself.

I went to MAC today after work (drab mode except for a plain black sweater) and asked for advice on beard cover, and foundation. they offered to "test" it on me - sure I said.
    Wisked off to a private room and got the full lesson, about an hour and a half's worth.
    By the time all was done I'd had a full makeover. In the hopes that things would turn out like this, I had brought a wig with me - what a difference with the complete look, makeup done well.
    After all that work, I couldn't just wipe it all off.
    Wound up buying most of the products used and left in mostly femme mode.

Awesome experience - I highly recommend MAC.
    No charge for the makeover - just the products sold.

Trisha

Banned Read only
    Trisha - what did you buy piece by piece and what was the total cost?

I'm just a cheap Walgreens makeup girl!

Hate to be dumb, but what is a MAC store. I never heard of it? If some one could let me know I would appreciate it. You can email me at wanda.cd@hotmail.com Thanks Wanda

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda.cd.northern.NH View Post
    Hate to be dumb, but what is a MAC store. I never heard of it? If some one could let me know I would appreciate it. You can email me at wanda.cd@hotmail.com Thanks Wanda
    MAC, not to be confused with Mac computers, is a brand of mid/high-priced cosmetic products. The MAC store is just that, a store that sells their products.

BTW all, I went to the MAC store a few days ago, plopped down, and an artist spent about 45 minutes making over half of my face (so I could see the changes, side to side). She was really nice, professional, drew me some face charts to help with my specific shading, and I bought several products.

Great experience, and I'd recommend it. But, I went to a larger freestanding store, and it was out of the way of the teeny boppers who cruise the local malls, and tend to stand, stare and point.
    -Sedona