Thread: How would the villagers react?

Feeling so good en femme! Miss Lulu's Avatar

How would the villagers react?

Just moved recently in the country, nearby a village called Maynooth, Ontario (Bancroft area). I crossdress everyday and enjoy being so on my land. The population around is an older crowd though. At a few occasions, neighbours came close to catch me as Lulu. One time somebody did see me while driving by, but, I don't think she recognized me.
    From the conversations I had, it seems like people here are old fashioned and, of course, everybody knows everything about everybody. I wonder though if there could be other CDs in the region. There's gotta one or two hidden somewhere, right?

My concern is this: What will happen if I expose myself as Lulu in a red-neck county? I don't plan to show-up like this at the village... just not hiding from them if they show-up at my place. What do you think are my chances to be accepted?

Would like to hear your comments!
    Miss Lulu

[SIZE="3"]Be careful and be safe!! I think a healthly repect for the pitchfork and pruning shear croud might be in order!!

Jennifer
    [/SIZE]
    Born female intended

" Don't die with your music still in you!"

Lulu,
    HHHhhmmmm ... if one of those local Ricky-Bobby's gets too much shine in him on a Fri nite, and sees you around ... he'll probably wanna date with ya'.
    That's when the problems start.
    Huggs,
    Andi ....

I would like to say that would be just great
    But we don't live in a world like that
    I'd say just be very careful
    In small towns and villages are very set in there ways
    And are not about to change
    They can make it very uncomfortable for you
    I do wish you the best of luck
    I just don't have fun -- I make the fun

Life's too short........Enjoy every day

Walking on egg shells, am I?
    Miss Lulu

Oh! That was a swell vision I just had of the villagers approaching Frankensteins' castle with pitchforks, torches blazing...... but it's only been two glasses of wine, and you are in Ontario, not Transylvania. My experience of American villagers are of seven years (in drab) in Michigan, a small town of 3500 between Detroit and Lansing. Their rural aristocracy of farmers and shysters of various shades makes me glad my Teresa-ness needed only private expression then. The "welcome" would not have been kind. But Canada looks brighter from this side of the border, a refuge of humanism on a continent dominated by reactionaries. Maybe your neighbors are more liberal than you think, but be careful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Most of the a__haround here would stone one for being so
    Angie

Lulu,

I cannot speak for your community but from what little I saw of Ontario last summer, there are some lovely villages and people up there. With this said, my first impressions were only brief impressions and I was dressed in male mode.

One thing I have experienced is living in a number of extremely small, conservative, right wing, and religious fundamentalist type communities. Yes there have been known TG people in each area as well as descreet ones like me. Their lifestyle was anything but socially acceptable. As a matter of fact, each community had its own character in terms of what behaviors were deemed acceptable as opposed to condemned. Sometime is took me a year or more to fleshout the local mores.

I don't fully understand your personal situation as it pertains to family, aspirations, and tolerance to harassment, but I would suggest caution. Small town people can be some of the greatest neighbors you will ever know, or they can be terribly cruel and unforgiving.

Take care.

Babette

I wouldn't worry as much about the villagers as the invading Mongol hordes (OK- not an issue in Maynooth)

As a rural girl myself I worry about the rednecks. In small towns most people know your business before you do. I'm a lot more careful locally than I am when I am visiting the big city and enjoying the relative anonymity of such. I'd favor a discreet approach.

Lowla

I know how you feel.At times the closet can be confining and secrecy can be kind of a guilt trip.But those people could treat you a bit sullen if you came out to everybody in town.I'm American but I will admit that Canada is a bit less violent than the U.S.so I don't think that major harrassment or getting cornered by the IGA with shivs and blackjacks is the problem.But I do think that people will treat you cooly.A few will try to show pointless humor ("Tootsie"and like that if you know what I mean)You know,there are without a doubt 1 or 2 other assorted CD'rs in town,either aspiring or practicing and if they're not in the town they're nearby on farms or nearby suburbs and towns or someplace.I mean they are out there.There's so many of us to every 100-200 people in all cultures worldwide.But of course you actually say that you don't plan to go into the village en fem.But I could be wrong ,if a lot of people found out about Lulu they might very well be perfectly gracious and treat you nice,with slight transgender-phobic reservations.They would also drive slow by your house to show cousin Emmet where old Lulu lives. Well,Lulu,itall sounds like an interesting challenge .I think things'll be OK

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Lulu View Post
    Just moved recently in the country, nearby a village called Maynooth, Ontario (Bancroft area). I crossdress everyday and enjoy being so on my land. The population around is an older crowd though. At a few occasions, neighbours came close to catch me as Lulu. One time somebody did see me while driving by, but, I don't think she recognized me.
    From the conversations I had, it seems like people here are old fashioned and, of course, everybody knows everything about everybody. I wonder though if there could be other CDs in the region. There's gotta one or two hidden somewhere, right?

My concern is this: What will happen if I expose myself as Lulu in a red-neck county? I don't plan to show-up like this at the village... just not hiding from them if they show-up at my place. What do you think are my chances to be accepted?

Would like to hear your comments!

Mostly slim or none. My mother lives in a small rural southwestern Minnesota community and I am carefull to leave my feminine clothing at home. as the people there do not know me as Serinalynn. Its quite different if you live in a large metropolitan city where most people don't care about what you are like and what you like to do out in public
    Be very careful about going out as Lulu until such time as you are very sure you know them very well or you might just find your self very alone as most of them will not want to know you.

It is interesting to note that of all the posts so far nobody lives in a small community and is out. Most people have assumed that people who live in small towns must be small minded. Usually people are judged by how they act rather than how they dress.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Banned Read only
    Most Canadians are pretty liberal, eh. Hard to tell about Old Canadians, though.

Decision, decision.

Thanks girls for all your comments!
    The fact I'm a new comer in this small community, I'll slow down my horses to come out of the closet. You see, I'm building a cottage resort here; I need good connections around. Even though my cottages will be private and secluded from each other, I do plan (and maybe it's the best way to expose myself) to organize special weeks for crossdressers and transsexuals only. If the villagers find out that I'm open to all kinds of clientele, they might open their mind too.

What do you think?
    Miss Lulu

My Heroes Wore Nylons Lovely Rita's Avatar
    Yes, above all be careful. All you can get here are guesses. The reality can be something quite different as it usually is.
    Hugs

Lovely Rita

The journey is about learning how to love and to do it with all our heart.

The Revolution moves forward!!!!!
    aspiring to be "part of the cure and not the disease."
    to quote Cold Play.

Becoming the person I was created to be
    not the person you expect me to be

"Girls Just Want to Have FUN!"

You don't need an excuse to Love just an opportunity!

does it matter if people know ? the problem with small towns and cd ing
    is over dressing unless its a tourist town and summer women will not be wearing dressy clothes so if you want to go un- noticed you will have to dress like the local women ( boring) for a crossdresser may be you should go to toronto and meet people from a cd club