Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just What Is 'transgender' Anyhow?

In the Vortex of Entropy between worlds. Well, Minnesota...I guess.

Just What Is 'transgender' Anyhow?

Hey girls, I am confused as to what 'transgender' means.

Is this different from 'transexual'?

Does this reflect on sexual orientation?

What does being transgender entail?

How does one know if they are transgender or should consider themself transgendered?

I just know so little and I was wondering if I should call myself transgendered becasue I am an avid cross-dresser or not. Please help shed a little light on this for me; thank you all so much! This is a sensitive topic for me.
    [SIZE="3"]Do faith and cross-dressing need to cross swords? I believe not... ~XDW Nathan-Natasha[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"How do you expect my enemies, my friends, and the public in general to understand the meaning of the images that appear suddenly and which I reproduce in my pictures, when I myself, who am the one who 'makes' them, I don't understand them either?"
    ~ Salvador Dali
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the links. I'll have to read all the info when I have time. I was kinda hoping for some more personalized, opinionated, anecdotal answers though - not that I don't appreciate the info you gave me. I genuinely thank you for it. I was going to check out wikipedia anyhow. I guess you beat me to the punch! Thanks Kieron!

And to the rest of you girls out there...anything else I should know about what it means to be transgender?
    [SIZE="3"]Do faith and cross-dressing need to cross swords? I believe not... ~XDW Nathan-Natasha[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"How do you expect my enemies, my friends, and the public in general to understand the meaning of the images that appear suddenly and which I reproduce in my pictures, when I myself, who am the one who 'makes' them, I don't understand them either?"
    ~ Salvador Dali
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XDW Nathan-Natasha View Post
    I guess you beat me to the punch! Thanks Kieron!
    the boys call me the link-guy lol

im too tired to go into it, but wanted to contribute so that was next best thing with minimum effort involved lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew View Post
    the boys call me the link-guy lol

im too tired to go into it, but wanted to contribute so that was next best thing with minimum effort involved lol
    Well then, thanks link guy! Now I don't have to key in the wikipeda address and serch words everytime I wanna look up these definitions! wOOt! Work saved is work spent later, I say. Thanks Kieron!

~ Salvador Dali
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You know www.google.com is your best friend too It's a mine of information.

There are a lot of meanings to the word 'transgender', but you'll find the majority refer to it as an umbrella term for everyone, MTF, FTM, TS etc...
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara GG View Post
    You know www.google.com is your best friend too It's a mine of information.

There are a lot of meanings to the word 'transgender', but you'll find the majority refer to it as an umbrella term for everyone, MTF, FTM, TS etc...

Tamara is quite right, it is an umbrella term.

However, I sugest that you don't spend too much time trying to put a lable on yourself, but instead, spend your time learning about the person YOU are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianna Lovely View Post
    Tamara is quite right, it is an umbrella term.

However, I sugest that you don't spend too much time trying to put a lable on yourself, but instead, spend your time learning about the person YOU are.
    so true

Wikepedia is just like this forum. Peoples opinions. For me, transgender means something different that what it might mean for someone else. I have things and feelings that are typically associated with the opposite gender. Some things I do are gender non-conforming. I like the term transgender. When I was first able to say I was transgendered, that was when I began to accept that part of myself.

Hey girls, I am confused as to what 'transgender' means.

Is this different from 'transexual'?

Does this reflect on sexual orientation?

What does being transgender entail?

How does one know if they are transgender or should consider themself transgendered?

I just know so little and I was wondering if I should call myself transgendered becasue I am an avid cross-dresser or not. Please help shed a little light on this for me; thank you all so much! This is a sensitive topic for me.
    You want to speak to a human being not a link.
    I'll do my best.
    Sexuality is about who you want to have sex with. It doesn't matter what 'sex'/gender you are born as. Your sexuality is about your prefered partner. Same sex partner = gay. Opposite sex = straight (as it were)

Gender is whether you are a boy or girl. "The gender of the child is..."female" etc

Therefore..."Trans"-gender, is a sliding scale between being a boy or girl....not physically but mentally depending on the chemical soup in your head. So if you have an urge to present yourself and express yourself as female now and then, you are sort of transgendered. It does get confused with a fetish but if there are elements of dressing that give you pleasure and don't fit a sexual element then it's the TG part.

A transexual is someone who was born one gender physically but mentally and chemically (brain soup) is female. They know they are female....God didn't.

Same goes for Female to Male. They were born female (gender) but they know they are a male because that's the brain they have..and that's what works everything else, so they're male and God messed up again.

Being an avid crossdresser is no indication of anything. It's what you get out of it that shows the underlying drive.

Initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianna Lovely View Post
    Thanks for the advice Brianna, I really should do that. I guess I've been worrying a lot about labels lately because I really don't know what to call myself. I mean, I identify myself as a male but I have a lot of un-many qualities about me (like the desire to look pretty and feel like a princess!). I've also thought about joining a TG/TS cross-dresser group, but I don't know if I'd qualify. I guess I'm just really confused when it comes to my gender right now. I'm male but I don't always feel like it...oh well, such is the life of a blooming cross-dresser.

~ Salvador Dali
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Julie York View Post
    A transexual is someone who was born one gender physically but mentally and chemically (brain soup) is female. They know they are female....God didn't.

Same goes for Female to Male. They were born female (gender) but they know they are a male because that's the brain they have..and that's what works everything else, so they're male and God messed up again.Initially.
    I agree with you generally but I have to disagree with your comments about God. In my feeble religious understanding, I would say it's not that God messed up but a quirk of biology He allowed to exist.
    It wasn't that He said 'well, let's make boys that think they're girls' or vice versa; it's probably more like he said 'I know that something like this could happen but I'll allow it anyhow.' I believe that God lets things happen for His reasons.
    If you can forgive my religosity, I don't think God can mess up - but that's not relevent to this board.
    Thanks for the advice all the same Julie. Like Voltaire (I believe) said (and I'm gonna mangle it, for sure): "I may not believe in what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Thanks again, Julie.

~ Salvador Dali
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bgirl View Post
    When I was first able to say I was transgendered, that was when I began to accept that part of myself.
    And I think that is what I am hoping to be able to do - to accept a part of myself that I have been denying since I was, like, 6. I want to know if I am transgendered - and when I think about it, I agree with your definition. I don't know if I'm ready to say I'm transgendered yet, but I think the shoe fits.

Regardless, I must remember though - I'm a male before anything else; regardless of how I feel and what I wear, I was born with male genitalia and I have a man's body (sometimes I would say 'unfortunately' about the later). In the end though, I would say I'm a 'transgendered male.' And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Thanks a lot Bgirl!

~ Salvador Dali
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sejd
    Julie York is right I think.
    Transgender is something originating in our brains. Clearly, it is not in the body, since we are born with Penises. Duh. But being a transexual really could be translated with a person coming to terms with their sexuality as one being different than what they were born into. I for example feel like I am a transexsual person because I have discovered that I have a sexuality which is tuypically female and a brain which thinks mostly female although I am in a mans body. In my case, I am fine with my body, but some people are really upset and feel that they need to change their sexual organs as well. In my oppinion, that does not make them more or less transexuals, that's just a choice that they make and that we have to respect and honor.
    As Kinsey proved in his studies, we are all unique and special.
    Hope that helps you somewhat.
    hugs
    Sejd

Aspiring Member
    argh... labels. I haven't found a label that has fit me yet.
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

soulmate of Mrs.M...GG Victoria Anne's Avatar
    I consider myself to be a "transgenderd crossdresser"I term it that way because I love to crossdress,no sexual aspect to it. Transgendered because of how I feel and think about so many things,In short I identify as a woman and feel as a woman though I am "male" by birth,if society wasn't so bigoted I would dress,present as a woman nearly full time if not full time. I hope this helps. Victoria Anne

On the road of discovery ... learning to be the woman I have always been.

Http://photobucket.com/viccy

Hi Nat!

You may also want to check this recent thread: Definitions??

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Short Skirts & Long Legs
    Kieron...you're the best...

Youmay want to look up the sites he has posted...been there and learned a lot....

I used to think I was transgender but now I just consider who I am and what I do as being myself. Oh yeah, I still use the terms but mostly for convenience for reference purposes. As far as what "Society" considers me-- -- I could care less.

London UK
    Trans-Gender, Trans is Latin for Over, Beyond or Across, Gender is defined by the equipment you were born with. However the term Tran gendered, as it should be spelt, could be used merely to imply an ambiguity in the gender, though this would only strictly be true for Intersexed people. The meaning therefore is like a lot of labels in Cross-dressing and is very much a matter of personal interpretation and also depends on whether you apply it to convention, behaviour, dress, emotion, motive or some inner sense. Consult 10 dictionaries and get 10 different answers. The one I like is:
    "On the other side of (or opposite of) the behavioural, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one particular sex."

The one thing its generally not thought to be is your sexual orientation.

Seems you can choose your own meaning and decide if that’s you or not.
    Good luck James
    Last edited by jayseedee; 04-05-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Whoops Spelling!

I suppose we can get all knotted up over labels and the meaning of words. But why? Celebrate who you are. Natasha, If you're a genetic male who loves the feel and texture of softer materials, great! If the odor and feel of makeup on your face brings you satisfaction, enjoy it! If you enjoy the nurturing aspects of your life, then pursue them wothout shame. When you are all made up and dressed up and you see yourself in the mirror and feel peaceful, accept it! Sometimes the answer to the question, "Why?", is just, "Because."
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Banned Read only

Everyone has their own idea

Thanks for the links. I'll have to read all the info when I have time. I was kinda hoping for some more personalized, opinionated, anecdotal answers though - not that I don't appreciate the info you gave me. I genuinely thank you for it. I was going to check out wikipedia anyhow. I guess you beat me to the punch! Thanks Kieron!

And to the rest of you girls out there...anything else I should know about what it means to be transgender?
    So the links are a start.

The definitions are changing. Ask 100 people and will probally get 100 answers for those definitions.

For some of us that feel were are in the wrong body but cannot do anything about it is hard to define. I do not even like gender confused but for me it says it.

I feel that a TG person is in the wrong body and a TS person is also but is going through the change. So my But that is not what most would see it. Most people (non TG) see TG and TS the same definition. It was but that is changing.

So throw a dart to get the definitions and in a year it will be different.

Thanks for the advice Brianna, I really should do that. I guess I've been worrying a lot about labels lately because I really don't know what to call myself. I mean, I identify myself as a male but I have a lot of un-many qualities about me (like the desire to look pretty and feel like a princess!). I've also thought about joining a TG/TS cross-dresser group, but I don't know if I'd qualify. I guess I'm just really confused when it comes to my gender right now. I'm male but I don't always feel like it...oh well, such is the life of a blooming cross-dresser.
    You're just finding out about yourself, give it time.

But self acceptence is probably the most important thing. You may not understand yourself yet, but accept, what you feel and learn from these feelings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    argh... labels. I haven't found a label that has fit me yet.
    I wish 'human being' was enough.

I've adopted a few other labels to describe me though: psychotic, insane, crazy, Catholic (completely unrelated to the previous 3...trust me! No, I'm serious though, I love the Church), gamer, artist, writer, dreamer...and of course (drum roll...) cross-dresser!

I don't mind having labels - they may not define me but the sure help describe me.

~ Salvador Dali
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

transgender simply means that your gender is in question
    Once bitten, always smitten