Thread: one more step.. in a bridal store!

Smile one more step.. in a bridal store!

I have never gone shopping drag, and when shopping for myself, never mentioned to an SA that I was buying for myself. However, Louise and I (Carin mode) are planning a committment ceremony later this year. This is a serious event and I need to look good. We browsed and found the perfect outfit, shoes and all on David's Bridal website. But you have to go to a store to make the purchase. So with much apprehension and hesitancy I am working up the courage to 'Out' myself in a store for the past few days, and in a Bridal store of all places.

The plan was to call the store and 'clear the way', make an appointment where we would both go in reasonably discretely. This morning I am going to work late, and I know that David's Bridal store opens in a few minutes. I am thnking, store just opening, not too busy, maybe I will go and check it out. Sure enough, no traffic at the door, maybe I will venture inside. Inside is another story. Busy!! people bustling around doing their thing. I am going to take a brief walk around the store and back out. This is too busy to discretely inform an SA what I need, much less ask for the manager, which was my preference.

So I am heading for the door out when a SA asks nicely, Hi, Can i help you? I head is saying "No thanks, I'm chicken". But damn it, I'm here. What am I going to do? Come back another time and prove that I was chicken the first time. So I said, "Well yes actually. My wife and I are planning a ceremony later this year, but there is a twist. I am transgendered." She tipped her head to one site a bit as if to say "Yea, and..". I told her I had a specific outfit in mind, not a wedding dress, and pulled the website printout from my pocket. One page for the outfit, one page with the shoes.

She said "We have that outfit here against that wall. I really love those shoes, I am waiting for a pair for myself", walking towards the wall rack. There are three or four of that outfit on the rack, she looks at one - its a size 16, she looks at me and muses 'What size, you are not a 16. I have a 14 here, do you want to try it on." OK she is way ahead of me now. I was just here to 'Clear the way for this event'. Sure, so I follow her to the dressing rooms. There is a GG coming out of one stall, and the SA makes an admiring comment to her as she passes, good SA that she is. She is walking with the outfit held high, and me following her. I am in drab, going to work (I dress androgenously anyway, but there was no doubt about my genetic gender.) She pauses a moment, as an afterthought asks "Would you prefer the other side" (guys dressing room I assume). "No, whatever works for you" I said. She is clearly completely at ease with all of this. She ushers me in, departs saying I will get the shoes. 5 Minutes later she returns with the shoes. I am in the outfit, no forms or shapewear mind you. She is still going on about how much she likes the shoes, then comments, "that (the outfit) looks really nice" (good SA that she is) and hands me the shoes. I am standing in the stall doorway (the dressing room doors are all full mirrors). The're is another lady looking at herself in one of the mirrors. I don't know if she looked or cared.

So I made and appointment (the original objective) to come back with Louise (and the appropriate accessories), decide on that size or one size smaller and if alterations were necessary.

I don't know what I was expecting, but what I got was the same treatment as any other customer would get. What a wonderful feeling.
    Carin

I have gone on a journey in search if myself. If you find me before I return, please hold on to me until I get back.
    Telling our Children

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Carin

What an absolutely great story! I can only wish I had happened to me. I've had a dream of having my picture taken in a wedding gown for a long time. My dear departed wife and I talked about it, but never did it. I sure wish I had the courage, and probably the good looks, that you have. Maybe some day

Sissy

More Girl than man

Carin you area lucky girl
    Angie

Banned Read only
    Thanks for posting. I want a real nice wedding dress too. Got a real nice one from ebay for $165 but it's a size 8 and a bit too small for me (34" bust when I need at least a 36" with forms).

Tell us how much you spent in the end and post a pic of you in your outfit!

Great story, glad you had a good experiance.
    [SIZE="2"]"Tell me why I can't where a mini 'kilt' to work?"[/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

I rememder a wedding dress store that I would pass going to and from work. Always wanted to go in and try dresses on. Those feelings have never gone away. Lucky you!

and I am SO freakin' proud of you....

it has been a rough week for our family and yet you found that something inside you to do what you did! I love you so much.

Louise.

Carin

What a wonderful experience. I know you felt very special, trying on that dress. I'm sure that you and your SO will have a beautiful commitment ceremony.
    Warm hugs to both of you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

way to Go!

Way to go Carin! You see it over and over in here that we all sweat it out, and drive ourselves crazy, and in the end the stores and the SAs all treat us very well!.
    I know how very hard it must have been to get up the courage to that, so great job!
    Kim

Carin, I'm so happy that things worked out so well for you. I loved your tale of the experience you had at David's. And congratulations on your upcoming Commitment Ceremony!
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Carin,
    How wonderfully sweet. And what a way to learn that there are many people out there that are respectful, caring and enjoy being around us.
    Trying on clothes in any womens store and being really helped by the staff, using the dressing rooms freely and comfortably is magic.
    Every time that has happened to me it seems as though I've gone more deeply into the myself as a woman and more fully accepted myself. I became more at ease with who I and who I'm becoming.
    This also happens after family gatherings, trips to the beauty salon and even getting my nails done.
    Each of these things has contributed to my sense of self and my well being.
    Love you all

I have been in that situation a few times now and each time, because of the deep acceptance I feel.
    "Every desire of your body is holy. Did you hear what I said? Every desire of your body is holy"
    Hafiz "The Gift" Translations by Daniel Ladinsky

wedding dress

i have been to a davids bridal store and was treated just like a lady. it was a great experience. every girl should try on a wedding dress for the great feeling.
    sue ellan

life is like a roll of tp. the closer to the end the faster it goes.

Carin -- Good for you. I bought an evening gown (en drab with appropriate lingerie in a bag) at David's Bridal last October. Treated very well by the consultant. Caught up with her several weeks later with pics of me all dolled up in it. She and I talked for a while and she told me she had several months before a customer come in with his future wife to buy two gowns for their ceremony.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Congratulation Carin... I think I need a tissue.. I sure you'll look beautiful