Talking about crossdressing nothing bad or directed at anyone
    In general I just froze like a deer in the headlights look
    Now being a closet crossdresser myself I had no idea
    On what to say or to say nothing at all without outing myself

So I took the chicken way out and got up and got
    Myself another drink but made sure the subject
    Was change by the time I got back

So my question what would you do ?
    Last edited by Barb Valentine; 04-08-2007 at 01:16 AM.
    I just don't have fun -- I make the fun

Life's too short........Enjoy every day

Been there

I'd do nothing. What would be the point. The same thing happened to me about ten years ago. I was sitting around with my sisters in law when one of them mentioned how weird it is that some men are crossdressers. There were three women and three men in the room. The other two men pulled up their pant legs, showing their hairy legs, and said, "Not me." They all looked at me. I smiled and said, "you'll just have to guess." I was freaking out inside.

When we left, my wife asked me what was going through my mind. I told her that I was damn sure not going to let them see my shaved legs and wonder and talk about me like that. I even asked her if it was a set up. She laughed. She told me that she would never do that to me. We drove home, and I changed into my nightie. We had a good laugh over that one.
    Once bitten, always smitten

Good question. I think it depends on how comfortable one is with their dressing and how experienced they are. I am new to this, so I would probably freak out and start blushing. Hopefully, I would have had a couple of drinks by then and could have a good excuse for my embarrassment!

Wow! OMG! wtf! holy! um.. yeah... ok

Someone starts talking CD in the room... ok lemme think.. is it me, or is it them...?

Well. I 've been very closed door... except that 1 time... but no? you think? no! .. reallly?.. um.. ok .. breathe,... breathe.. ok, how would a "straight" person react? how would I react, if I didn't ever hear of such a thing.. [total time elapsed so far... 1.64321 seconds]

Ok...what do I do?

Get a drink.. Good call . Now, composure.

"Huh? Cross dressing, you mean "Tim" in female clothes? Or, do you mean you in male clothes?" "I got to tell you, a woman in man clothes does look hot! A man in women's clothes? Hmmm. Hmm... well, you know there are some men out there that pull it off, but in general.. no it's not done well. Honey? Have you ever given thought to such?" ***wipes brow, sips drink, avoids eye contact, did I mention sips drink?***

denied

I don't know how I would react, maybe I better think about it so as not to be caught off guard.
    [SIZE="2"]"Tell me why I can't where a mini 'kilt' to work?"[/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

It happened to me a few times and I just closed my big mouth... The last time it happened, it was a person for whom I had great respect who said some ridiculus things about x-dressers, So I felt hurt, but since I was with my wife and my daughter, I just sut up again.

However, since then I've made a coming out to my daughter (36) and my son (35). My wife has known for more than 35 years and her fears were that the children would not accept. But now she feels relieved that they know and reacted well.

As a result, if such a situation where someone says silly things about men who dress "en femme" would happen again, I would probably not sut up and on the contrary gently point out that there is nothing wrong with x-dressing.

Eugenie

Barb, I think you did the right thing. If you are completely in the closet, best to leave the subject alone, and hope no one saw your blushing face. I would be afraid I'd say something the wrong way and let the cat out of the bag. Getting a drink was probably the best idea!
    GO RED SOX!!!

Suzie

Being open, I'm used to the topic and the questions being broached and everyone is sweet about it... What they say when I'm not there I neither know nor care.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

I would definately not change the subject, I would spark the conversation on in some " Dumb " way. It's always interesting to me to find out what non C.D.ers thinks about our world. But then are they really saying what the feel or are they too just sparking the conversation to see where it goes. Who Knows... By the way Sweet Susan you have great Leggs
    Last edited by Paulacder; 04-08-2007 at 05:43 AM.

I've been known to redirect conversations when things got too close to "home", especially years ago when I was in the closet. Nowadays, the subject is open game, since I don't care. I was a prime topic of conversation at the club last night but that is an entirely different situation as I was among my "sisters". I was explaining myself to them as to why I wasn't dressed and still having a good time. Kind of a reverse situation, really but funny when you think about it that I had to "defend" my actions to them about this.

Banned Read only
    That has happened to me also,proably to all of us at one time or another.I work in construction and one day on the radio some DJ was commenting on a crossdresser.Everyone started makeing all kinds of jokes about it,and comments like "they all should be hung from the highest tree".I never commented on it until one person asked my opinion,then I told him that I served for 3 years in the U.S. Army so that we all could be free.Freedom to express ourselves,live where we want and however we want.So to make a negitive comment like that DJ did,for me would be like throwing the 3 best years in my life out the window.( you see you can defend it...without admitting it). Now they all just think I'm this super patriot,Gi-joe gung-ho but they can't see my dress hehehe

This happened to me at work

I ended up in a discussion at work on the percentage of gay people and crossdressers

Then it took a turn for the worst as who do you think it could be ???

Thankfully no one in the small group targets anyone else talking, Phew !!!!

But there was no way to avoid making comment.

So all I could add was well its there choice how they live not mine
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Well, I'm out, so I'd be correcting everything she said.

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

A friend told of some local official nobody got stoped while driving derssed Then I did not say anything I think now I'd say so what But I know I could never come out to this friend or that family
    Angie

It happened to us too. Some friends of ours were over and brought up the subject. They had been travelling and encountered a group of crossdressers at a small event. It was hard to tell if they were altogether shocked or really courious. At any rate, they have no idea about me, so my wife and I took liberties to have fun and run with the subject. We are so rotten but it was such a hoot.

Babette

I would have done exactly what you did.
    Get another drink. and just let my wife run the conversation. If she happened to let the cat out of the bag, then so be it. Total chickens way out, I know. But my wife is more concerned about the world finding out about my CDing than I am at this point. So it would be her ball game.

Why did this other lady bring it up. Does she know something? Maybe her husband is a CD also. And she was trying to get other people to admit it? All curios things to think about.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

It depends where you are in life

Girls are so lucky. Years ago a woman would put on her man's shirt to feel that comfort and security that she felt when she was with him. Now more women dress in pants than dresses. Wouldn't it be nice if boys had the same freedom?

I probably would have gone to get myself and the person who made the statement another drink, walked back into the room, handed her/him the drink and said, "I'm a crossdresser."

Banned Read only
    "I got to tell you, a woman in man clothes does look hot!
    You've got to be kidding.

Same Reaction

I would have handled it the same way. Some things are safer left unsaid.

Ok I have thought about it, and safe is never fun, I've made up my mind. since I can be extremly Butch (ie: big bald biker) and scarey I would say something like; Have you tried it? I have and it's fun,... You want to make something of it! Oh Hell, who am I kidding I would just change the subject tactfully
    [SIZE="2"]"Tell me why I can't where a mini 'kilt' to work?"[/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Barb. I would have done something similar, excused myself and waited until the topic changed, safe call
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

Crossdressers? you mean all those women wearing men's shirts and slacks with those ugly flat shoes....yeah, they have a lot of nerve going out in public like that...

That's my reaction...turn it back on the speaker....oh..you mean you dress like a man? Funny how fast the subject changes...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

My wife suggested that I should say something like "Watch what you say or I'll have to hit you with my Purse!" :be:

Platinum Member
    easy i would say if it's not hurting anyone than who cares what someone wears ???

I've been in situations where the topic of crossdressing has come up and I've noted that women crossdress all the time and no one makes an issue it. Most of the time no comment is made in response to my statement. Sometimes I go on to say clothes are just clothes and in some places in the world men wear kilts or robe-like garnments and no big deal is made of it. If the conversation continues, which is rare, I'll comment on how masculine things are venerated in our society while feminine things are devalued, and that while aggressive behavior by men is frowned upon, sissy behavior is ridiculed. I ask, "so how exactly is a guy supposed to act? He's got to tread a fine line, being macho, but not too macho, and definitely not acting like a sissy. A man is supposed to be in touch with his feminine side, but he's not supposed to actually act feminine. Femininity is devalued in our society. Why? And why can't people just be themselves instead of having to fit into roles." How far I go depends on how silent the conversation gets. Usually people don't have the integrity to stand up for their beliefs and voice what they feel.

If someone states crossdressers are gay I mention according to what I've read and seen on the internet, 90% of crossdressers are straight and that the remaining 10% are gay, which coincides with the proprtion of straight vs. gay people in general.

My goal is to set the facts straight and encourage discussion. I don't tell them that I crossdress because that's my business, not theirs.

Jenny