Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I Been Outed?

Have I Been Outed?

At work the week last I had to get on my crew to work harder. One of the guys said it must be that time of the month because I was so bi... chy and someone called me Glenda (close to my name). Now I get call Glenda everyday. They know I had my ears pierced and that I have loss 15 pounds. They also I know I'm taking dancing lessons. I just take it sometimes I tell them I want know how the better half feels . I have both men and women in my crew and they all call me Glenda plus it's starting to spread to other dept. and my boss.
    But have I been outed?
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Your not "outed", but they may be doing some fishing. Maybe the guys are jealus..

SandyR
    Real Men can Cook in Heels...

Interesting. I'm sure that you've thought about what it would mean to be 'outed' at work. Is it something that you want to happen? Because I agree, your co-workers are just fishing...

Well, unless you've said something, they probably figure you like it. You're open about doing plenty of girly stuff, so they probably figure the name is appropriate, and if you don't mind, then it's cool right?

I doubt it's the case, I'm sure they are just teasing, and if you don't react to it, it'll fade. Usually when people say stuff like this it's not because they think it's true, they just want to harass you. Of course if you freak out, then, you may just be...

Silver Member
    This could be just the good natured ribbing that occurs on any work crew. If you don't mind being called Glenda, let it be. If it bothers you, just bring it up short with a sharp reminder of your actual name. "The name is Mike, and if you can't remember that, then you might be looking for another job!", sort of thing.

I get a lot of feminine nicknames built around my name at work, but I kinda like it. I am pretty open about my gender confusion at work though, so my situation is a bit different. I am not trying to hide anything.

Lovies,
    Steph

I doubt they "know". If they did, they'd be more discreet, you being their boss. So, probably good natured ribbing over your interest in dancing lessons, something many guys would be embarrased to disclose.

Since you're the boss, you could chide them with something like, "Okay, guys that's enough, knock it off".

Mitzi

Sounds like they are going to insist that you dress up as Glenda for the next halloween! Have fun.

Blue Ridge Mountains,Virginia..In the country
    Wow! Sounds like a great way of letting it be a little closer to your heart. Don't let passes like this pass you up.... You go girl...seeya..
    HugsKisses
    Bobbie Jo

NO is the simple answer

I think its been the combination of two comments and it has caught on

The time of the month & someone getting a name as close to yours as possible

These things can happen from time to time when a lot of ribing is involved.

If they suspected I sincerely doubt it would get mentioned insuch a fashion.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    I agree that they are just fishing . . . and watching to see how you respond. Personally, unless you want to be outed, I'd let it go for a little while. If it continues, and if you want it to stop, just pick a point in time and and tell 'em enough is enough. My aunt took dance lessons for years and there was always a crowd of male and female students, so that doesn't prove a thing. Having your ears pierced doesn't either as more and more men are having it done. It sounds like maybe some of your crew are seeing if they throw two and two at you enough, that maybe you'll yell four. (IOW, keep the digs coming and see if you'll 'fess up.) Keep composed and you'll be fine.

Glenda was a witch in the Wizzard of Oz. She was the good witch though. Billie Jean

I think they're just kidding you, in the meantime quit being such a b*tch to the help.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Your the leader of that crew. Tell them "my name is (your male name) not Glenda. The next person that calls me Glenda......unpaid time off. I am a dept. leader myself. I have had to give people time off. Let them know who's boss and how far you can be pushed. If you don't stop it now, you loose all credibility with them. Plus, keep certain things private. You are their boss, not their friend.

I always hit them with another comment like, "That's Miss Glenda to you." I'd just go along with the moment and make light of it.

One friend saw me for the first time with my ears pierced and just said "earing's". I returned with "I can't hear you, I have a ringing in my ears." In my case it appears to curb future comments.

I'm not particularly quick witted (no comments from you Tamera !), so I'm usually prepared with a comment or two.

Glenda

Oh, I know I'm terrible, but here goes.................

You could go into work wearing a black leather skirt, nice top, boots and carrying one of those three foot, multi-tailed whips................

"Now, get to work, people!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seems like it's good natured, outed or not. People like a boss they can kid around with, don't worry about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sorry to disagree with the others, but I think the crew suspect you are a bit femme, but they dont want to push things too far because you are the boss. Guys don't normally call the boss by a girls name, even in fun; but if it doesn't bother you, just enjoy it, I would.

Since your femme name and male name are close, then your crew is busting you full-time probably because of the pierced ears. What you do about it is up to you based on your relationship with them and the rules of the company you work for.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    Glenda dear,

No, I don't think they know how close they are on this....but the bigger question is DO YOU REALLY CARE? If not then just giggle once in a while and ignore them.

Emily Ann
    Living with a heel in each world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianna Lovely View Post
    Oh, I know I'm terrible, but here goes.................
    heh.. I'm thinking Mae West.. when I'm good, I'm terrible....

You could go into work wearing a black leather skirt, nice top, boots and carrying one of those three foot, multi-tailed whips................

"Now, get to work, people!"
    My kind of motivation.... My address is.....
    Bobbie in Vancouver

i agree with sandy those guys are fishin there just trying to find a break in your armor. stick to your guns , be tactful , if your any good at your job youll over come ...cp

No.

They are feminizing you in the abstract as a way to externalize the work pressure. Don't sweat it.
    For photos on flickr, my user name is cd_erica_f

[QUOTE=Joy Carter;839441]I always hit them with another comment like, "That's Miss Glenda to you."

I like that Joy "That's Miss Glenda to you".
    And I don't care what they think because if they knew I dress up every Day after work and that I'm wearing lace panties everyday at work they would die. I know it's all in fun but if it got serious I would after to take it to H R and file a compliant.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Having worked almost all my life in large corporate sourroundings. I think there may be a potential work related issue here, unless your company is real cool. You are the boss, some kidding is OK but, there is a point where it could go too far and then your performance based on your workers performance may suffer the eyes of your superiors, un-beknownst to you. It doesn't take much for some things to get back to the bosses. Even if it appears seemingly innocent, they may take it differently. If you are cool with all this, then I am too. You know your situation better then anyone here. Good luck.