Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men in skirts

Men in skirts

Is there any place in America, that won't ridicule a guy in a skirt?
    I've heard Provincetown, Mass is rather friendly but in a gay way, of which I am not gay. So I don't know.
    All I want is someplace to feel I can be "me" without having to defend or explain myself.

Aside from places frequented by gay men or guys in kilts I can't think of any.
    NewBetty
    I'm not a girl
    I'm just a little girly

Don't know but I wich I did
    Angie

i dont know about any places that are completly open minded but even where i live which is old fashioned people keep to them selves the may think its weird but they wont confront you about it i have just learned to live the way i please and people seem to repect that, i believe that if your not confident about what you are doing people are more opt to say things or give weird glances but if you walk into a store acting just llike everyone else no one is the wiser, so good luck and much love shay
    [SIZE="3"]I wish I knew someone in another place where I could just move and start over! <3[/SIZE]

Maybe not skirts but kilts. Seatle is the home of Utilikilts, and while there and wearing a kilt I encountered other kilted men. the only person that was a little uncomfortable was my wife.

I would think of San Francisco, of course, because of the large population of gays and lesbians.
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Banned Read only
    I haven't been to P-Town for years, but from what I read, it has been taken over by gay New York lawyers, investment bankers - big money, in other words I suspect that even the gay community is less open and "alternative" than it once was, when many of the gay community were waiters and shop clerks. And the locals - non-gay, that is - were never fans of "open displays" on the street.

There is some kind of "Carnival" in August for CD/TGs apparently. No doubt there's "strength in numbers" then.

Edit: I should have added - there used to be an old geezer in my town who wore a skirt all the time. He also wore an elf hat - use your imagination. He looked like Robin Hood's Grandpa.
    Last edited by Eva Diva; 04-28-2007 at 10:24 PM.

If you like a smaller yet still urbane city then I would suggest my home town Ithaca, NY. In addition to being very gay friendly there are open CDs and TSs who are well received. Some have even enjoyed celebrity status.

P-Town

I havent been to P Town in some time. I bet most people feel things are ok there since its know to be a bit different. I wouldnt do it alone an yes i have heard there are some TG events there i sure if you google them you will find some info.

Quote Originally Posted by calliekat View Post
    All I want is someplace to feel I can be "me" without having to defend or explain myself.
    My logical reaction would be "no place".

However, speaking from my own experience, just go out the door.

At times, I may be a "Gender-Bender", but I often go out in "guy-mode", giggle, wearing a skirt.

My reason? I'm not really sure.
    Maybe just my way of saying, a guy can look pretty too. Earrings, nails done, purse, sandals and a skirt, are now my "normal", everyday attire.

So................
    Put on your skirt and go out and enjoy yourself.
    And maybe you'll make your town, the place to be yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There are places, yes. Depends on where you go in those places and who else is there.

Like in D.C. During a festival one day, there was a guy running around in a light knee length skirt. Definitely not a kilt, and I watched others around him. No pointing, no laughing, no noticable reaction at all.

In my opinion, a guy, being a guy, and wearing a skirt, will get less reaction than a guy trying to pass as a woman, in a number of places.
    DonnaT

Silver Member
    I agree completely with both Donna and Brianna.

Just wear the damn skirt. Self confidence, or a good aproximation thereof, and a friendly smile, will carry you through almost any situation you may meet. You will find that most don't give a fig what you wear as long as you leave them alone, and as Donna says, a man in a skirt is a whole different ballgame than a man trying to "pass" as a woman.

That said, Provincetown, Key West, Amherst, San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta, NYC, all come to mind as places that you can do pretty much what you want in the clothing department. I am sure there are many other cities and towns that are equally broadminded. I just don't have any experience with any others. Parts of most large cities are fine, parts of most large cities are dangerous no matter what you wear.

A whole lot of this depends sooooo much on your own attitude that it's hard to recomend a place that will accept you as long as you are convinced that you are doing something shamefull to begin with.

Hold your head up, smile, and get out there. Just dress and act appropriately.

Lovies,
    Stephenie
    Last edited by Stephenie S; 04-29-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Banned Read only
    It ain't america, but you could move to Scotland, and wear kilts to your hearts content. Learning that bagpipe thing might take a while, and you'd have to wear that silly looking hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda G View Post
    It ain't america, but you could move to Scotland, and wear kilts to your hearts content. Learning that bagpipe thing might take a while, and you'd have to wear that silly looking hat.
    Good news

You dont have to wear the hat

Yes you can wear kilt but not quite every day but you can wear it on a lot of occasions

As for learnig to play bagpipes it can take a while
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar
    I'd love to feel I can just wear a skirt outside, in "guy mode" becasue it feels great.
    But alas. I don't have the guts to do it. :mad:

I have a plan to wear a sexy mini "schoolgirl" plaid skirt and tell every one it is a "mini kilt" HeHe but I haven't gotten the guts or the skirt yet
    [SIZE="2"]"Tell me why I can't where a mini 'kilt' to work?"[/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

I wear a jean or cordaroy skirt in public in guy mode often with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    I have a plan to wear a sexy mini "schoolgirl" plaid skirt and tell every one it is a "mini kilt" HeHe but I haven't gotten the guts or the skirt yet
    I met a man the other day, that made his own kilt. But I still like skirts.

Dixie, you could try a nice Black-Watch plaid skirt, leather staps and all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaT View Post
    In my opinion, a guy, being a guy, and wearing a skirt, will get less reaction than a guy trying to pass as a woman, in a number of places.
    What about wearing the skirt with pantyhose scrunchy socks, and tennis shoes, or hiking boots?
    Ammdi
    --
    PHR

Banned Read only

Parts of San Francisco

I live in the Bay area and about twice a year go to SF, do not like cities. Too many people and cars.

There are skirts for men, not womans but skirts that are designed for men with masculine patterns. Utility kilts look much like male skirts but but even those will get you looks and comments.
    Last edited by janedoe311; 04-30-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    I agree completely with both Donna and Brianna.

Just wear the damn skirt. Self confidence, or a good aproximation thereof, and a friendly smile, will carry you through almost any situation you may meet. You will find that most don't give a fig what you wear as long as you leave them alone, and as Donna says, a man in a skirt is a whole different ballgame than a man trying to "pass" as a woman.

That said, Provincetown, Key West, Amherst, San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta, NYC, all come to mind as places that you can do pretty much what you want in the clothing department. I am sure there are many other cities and towns that are equally broadminded. I just don't have any experience with any others. Parts of most large cities are fine, parts of most large cities are dangerous no matter what you wear.

A whole lot of this depends sooooo much on your own attitude that it's hard to recomend a place that will accept you as long as you are convinced that you are doing something shamefull to begin with.

Hold your head up, smile, and get out there. Just dress and act appropriately.

Lovies,
    Stephenie
    Well said Steph!

Like Janedoe, I only get to SFO a few times a year, I am not fond of big cities. There is still some parts of the city I would not go. I have never had any problems in SFO, even in the financial district, where I go most of the time. I live in my hometown (I keep comming back) and never have any problems at all. I did learn one hard lesson, I don't tell anyone I was ever a guy!
    [SIZE="3"] Be true to yourself, even if no one else wants you to be!

To live your life in fear, is to live only half a life.
    "Strictly Ballroom"

:GE: Hugs To All!! Shelly
    [/SIZE]

I have gone to the mall twice wearing a skirt as a guy and I have gone for a few walks in the morning and seen people doing their morning walks. In every case, I have had only one unpleasant reaction. That was from some rude girls working at Lady Foot Locker. They laughed out loud.

In every case, I was also wearing a plain white blouse, and pantyhose. A couple times in heels. A few of the times, the pantyhose were dark.

It was unnerving, but it was fun.

Once at a store, I asked if I could come out of the dressing room in a dress. I walked around the store in it and some customers saw me, but didn't do anything but look. It felt SO good to feel my hosed legs swishing together. Normally I just wear shorts and hose (as androgenously as I can.)

Always I go out with my man head, no wig or makeup.

Joe

Well, I only ever wear skirts to the local goth club here in sunny South Africa. I would suggest you check out the goth scene in your area, they're usually pretty relaxed about that sort of thing and a large number of goth girls actually find guys in skirts attractive.

It's a pity that its not aceptable for men to wear skirts, they are so nice and cool to wear when the weather is hot.

If it wasn't for the stares or rude comments I'd wear skirts all the time in the summer, especially with global warming and all that !!!!!
    Jennifer Green
    PART TIME GURL

Just this forum.We don't mind Justabit