Thread: I finally got a wig

I finally got a wig

Hi ladies,

I finally got a wig! This is to follow up with a post I made in the Clothing thread where my wife and I were going to Las Vegas without our kid. That thread ended on a down note because my wife changed her mind and didn't want me to get a wig. She later changed her mind back and I was able to get a wig!

We were in Las Vegas from Wednesday through Saturday, flying out late Saturday afternoon. For one reason or another, we never got around to Serge's until after lunch on Saturday. Since I didn't know whether the wig would be a long-term addition to my en femme collection, I didn't want to invest a lot of money into my first wig, so we went to the outlet center on Sahara and looked for a synthetic wig. (It took a while to find the maroon awning. )

At first I was a bit nervous. The ladies working there were very friendly and gave us room to browse. I picked up a long wig that was very wavy. The salesperson (I think her name was Joann) offered a private booth which was very nice. Unfortunately I didn't shave my face that day so the illusion was distorted. I covered my mouth with my hand get a better perspective.

The first wig made me look like a heavy metal guitar player from the 80's. We tried on more wigs that were less wavy and I wound up getting a moderately long with a gentle body curl. It was interesting that the more I tried on the wigs, the less I was intimidated.

The other sales clerk chatted with my wife while she watched me try on different wigs. I think it made my wife more comfortable as they commented about how I looked in different wigs and other things. It turned out there was a crossdresss get-together the previous week and there were a lot of people in shopping.

The ladies gave me wig care instructions and even a handout in case I forgot. When we got back home, I wore it all night. (Our kid had a sleepover, so no risk of her surprising me). I must say that having long hair is a much different experience - Whenever I lean forward, I need to move the hair away from my face. When I sit on the couch, I need to make sure I don't lean on my hair.

My early impression is that the wig is my favorite "souvenir" from Las Vegas. I love it! I'm now just worried about how to take care of my new addition. There are so many questions I have now that I forgot to ask!
    • How do I comb out the tangles at the ends?

• Can I use cool rollers to put the curl back in the hair?

• Can I put my hair in a ponytail to get it out of my face?

• My wife suggests using a wooden brush without the nubs at the end because the metal bush can build up static charge and "burn the tips. Is that true?

BTW - Here's a picture of me and my new wig. Next time we go to Las Vegas, maybe I can have a makeover at Glamour Boutique.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[SIZE="3"]Nice!, I need a new wig the one I have is pretty old (80s) and has seen much better days. The style doesn't really fit me anymore either. Looks nice.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]"Tell me why I can't where a mini 'kilt' to work?"[/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

with reference to the static charge question, I don't know about wood, but I certainly know that static charge can build up on plastic, when I had longer hair, combing it I could hear the static, kind of like the sound you get from those static generators you put your hands on that make your hair stand up.

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to put it in a ponytail or curl it, I've heard that you can style wigs, but that may be for the non-synthetic ones. Not having a wig I wouldn't really know, so don't take this as gospel, I'd hate to be responsible for ruining your prize possession of the moment.

[SIZE="3"]Do Not use a curling iron on synthetic wigs un less it's really low heat, we frissed my wig that way, live an learn heheehe[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]"Tell me why I can't where a mini 'kilt' to work?"[/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    Don't use a standard hair brush - it will pull out the hairs. A pick will work well - think Afro-picks. Always work from the ends back - your wife should be able to tell you this. If you work from the top down, you'll just drive the hairs into snarls.

Do an intergoogle search on "wig care" and you'll get instructions about curling and other subjects.

Nice look hun
    Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    [SIZE="3"]Do Not use a curling iron on synthetic wigs un less it's really low heat, we frissed my wig that way, live an learn heheehe[/SIZE]
    And dont use hair straighteners ,i tried that on a curly blond (synthetic) wig which said it can be styled frissed more like fried ended up in the bin
    In the garden of life another flower blossoms is that really me

I finally got a wig

Sounds like a nice trip. Next time in LV you need to go out and have a meal and dance. There are plenty of places to go and are diffently CD friendly. And you Wife will feel comfortable.

Check out this web site for suggestions
    http://www.jadephoenix.org/lvtgw/merchant.htm

Enjoy the new wig its part of the fun.

Sharon
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia ."
    ~Charles Schultz~

Raksha's My Dreamboat Tracy_Victoria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy_folsom View Post

How do I comb out the tangles at the ends?
    Carefully comb your wig and store it either on a head, back in it box, or it is possable to store (non Curly) wigs in a 1 gallon freezer bag if needed. it's better to avoid tangles in the first place over trying to cure them. Remember a wig is not a ever lasting item, avarage wear for a fibre wig is 6 to 8 months daily use (a life time for most TV's) take care of it, in the first place, to avoid frizzing, don't go near heat, hot oven doors, etc

Can I use cool rollers to put the curl back in the hair?
    Some new synthetic wigs can be treated with low heat but I would avoid it unless it states so on your wig instructions. it's very easy to damage a fibre wig by misuse, or just not knowing what your doing hence, if it loosing it natural curl a wash in luke warm water with very mild soap will restore them. how ever don't rub dry, or place over a head or form when wet, just lightly shake the water off and then allow to dry before combing. DO NOT COMB A WIG WHEN WET OR DAMP!

Can I put my hair in a ponytail to get it out of my face?
    you can place you hair in a loose pony tail, but you can't emulate a real tight high pony as the wig is not designed to do this. ie the back of the wig will lift and show your wearing a wig. A loose clip to gather the hairs together works fine on most wigs long enough to do this on, if you want a really high pony tail look, you'd need longer hair yourself and a topper to blend in to your own hair.

My wife suggests using a wooden brush without the nubs at the end because the metal bush can build up static charge and "burn the tips. Is that true?
    Never heard of it happening, and most wig companies normally offer a brush with metal prongs. if you follow the link your'll see all kinds tend to be used

http://www.wigtopia.co.uk/main/wig_accessories.html

I tend to have different brushes to suit my wigs, however some can't be brushed at all, and therefore I finger comb those ones, but I've used metal brushes for years with no ill effect on my wigs. any comb that pulls is not a good one, but some times you will have tangles to work out. basically over time you will make mistakes, and may even lose a wig to a stupid avoidable mistake, but it all a learning curve, and really all down to trial and error

Good Luck
    Cya

Tracy

[SIZE="2"]The nail that stands out the most, is the one that is hammered down the hardest![/SIZE]

Visit to Las Vegas

HI Sandy:
    I am glad your trip to Las vegas was successful. Next time you visit how about joining us for dinner when we go out with our Tri-Ess chapter for dinner. Of course your wife is welcome to come to and there will be other wives there also.

Nora

Thanks for the wig info. It's also nice to hear that my wig will last as long as I let it last.

great wig - really important to get a good one - my first was crap. caring for it can be a bummer for me too - how do you get it out of your face particularly when u eat - sticks to your lippy as well!

if i'm not careful i can see little grey bits from my sideburns - if i can then so can others

mitch

That looks very nice, hot babe!!!! Be sure to use a wig brush and if you don't have one of those heads to store your wig, I've used a roll of paper towel to store it on. And I have several wigs that are over 20 yrs old.
    Actually, tonight I went to one of the local wig store and got a new wig. It's a reddish brown, chin lenght and kind of a page boy style. It was on sale for $125. Oh, be sure to wash your wigs in wig shampoo. I get mine at a beauty supply at the mall, I think it's Sally's. My 1st wife wore 2 wigs for a year and a half. From the time they started chemo till the end. She washed them every 3 or 4 days in the winter and more often in the hot summer. Read the directions and follow them and your wig will last a long time....BJ

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Hi Sandy,

I'm glad you had a nice time in Vegas and also that you're happy with your wig. If you ever decide to get another one, as under your avatar pic it says you live in Sacramento, (so do I) I would like to recommend either "WigsRyou" or "Wig Galleria". Both of these places are very TG friendly and I personally have bought a wig from each place with no problems. I even personally know one of the women in WigsRyou because she has a TG partner (who is also a member here) and she's happens to be one of me and my wife's best friends.

Here's a link to my wife's account (with lots of pictures) of when we bought my shorter wig 18 months ago from Wig Galleria. Click HERE if you are interested.

Btw ..... if you ever go back to Las Vegas, I recommend you accept Nora's invitation to dinner. Me and Marla did (along with forum member Holly and her wife HT gurl) and we had a blast! Nora is a great hostess, she even took us to meet some of her friends at a favorite TG bar afterwards.

If you fancy having dinner with me and my wife Marla GG, may I invite you to join us and come along to one of our Sacramento Delta Girl's Socials. There's usually about 18 of us with about 6 or 7 wives and SOs present every 3rd Saturday at a TG friendly restaurant in Midtown.

Hugs
    Rachel
    Last edited by Rachel Morley; 05-07-2007 at 08:03 PM.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Rachel,
    Thanks for the invite and tips. The reason why we went all the way to Vegas to buy a wig is my wife is worried we might bump into somebody we know around here. Funny thing is that when came back to Sacramento, I bumped into a co-worker at the airport. Luckily I wasn't wearing the wig then. LOL.