Thread: Good News from Washington

Good News from Washington

The House of Representative's recently passed a bill that adds sexual identity, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender presentation to the hate crimes bill. The really new part of this was the gender stuff. It was thought that it would make the bill unpassable...it was to far out there.
    The gay, lesbian and transgender activists convinced Barny Frank that gender presentation was a large part of gay bashing and he(and others) supported the change and it passed.
    The senate is expected to so the same. Bush is expected to veto it.
    Even so It's great progress in being seen and recognized and really, really support by the LGBT community.
    "Every desire of your body is holy. Did you hear what I said? Every desire of your body is holy"
    Hafiz "The Gift" Translations by Daniel Ladinsky

The difficult part is gathering enough congressional votes to override the veto. While it is unlikely to ultimately become law at this time, however, it sets the groundwork for a better result when a new administration takes office in less than two years. Here's hoping, anyway.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Unfortunate Bush and most republicans are under the control of Dobson, Sheldon and Falwell - the religous right which represents less than 20% of our population. I doubt if the Hate Crimes Bill will be enacted until there is a change in administration. Bigotry and intollerance will prevail for two more years.
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
    Unfortunate Bush and most republicans are under the control of Dobson, Sheldon and Falwell - the religous right which represents less than 20% of our population. I doubt if the Hate Crimes Bill will be enacted until there is a change in administration. Bigotry and intollerance will prevail for two more years.
    Bigotry and intolerance have little if anything to do with a "hate crimes" law. Everything covered by this bill is already a crime. This is nothing more than pandering to specific voting blocks. The only difference between a "hate" crime and a "non-hate" crime is the intent of the assailant, which cannot be conclusively proven, so the whole thing is a load of hogwash.

Anyway, if bigotry and intolerance are sticking points, perhaps it's time to consider who is actually guilty of them...it's more (D) and (R) I'm afraid.

I'll post in the politics forum with more on this - I don't want to drag this thread too far into that realm.
    It's spelled Marika, but it's pronounced Janey!
    Appreciate the beauty in the current moment, because the past is gone and tomorrow never comes.
    Janey's Amost Secret Crossdressing Blog: http://marikajaye.blogspot.com

I hope it will go through, but I know that presidend Bitch, did I misspell his name, will veto it. That dirty skunk.. JMHO...BJ

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
    Unfortunate Bush and most republicans are under the control of Dobson, Sheldon and Falwell - the religous right which represents less than 20% of our population.
    .... 20% of our population and 1% of our intelligence.

Darrah you make good points, but I think you're wrong. Read more about the bill here:
    http://www.hrc.org/Template.cfm?Sect...entDisplay.cfm

Here's the important snippets:
    "However, under current law, the federal government is not able to help in cases where women, gay, transgender or disabled Americans are victims of bias-motivated crimes for who they are. "

"The act would allow federal authorities to become involved if local authorities are unwilling or unable to act."

In addition this is the first time EVER that the ACLU has supported a hate crime bill. I think that speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by MissDarrah View Post
    Bigotry and intolerance have little if anything to do with a "hate crimes" law. Everything covered by this bill is already a crime. This is nothing more than pandering to specific voting blocks. The only difference between a "hate" crime and a "non-hate" crime is the intent of the assailant, which cannot be conclusively proven, so the whole thing is a load of hogwash.

Anyway, if bigotry and intolerance are sticking points, perhaps it's time to consider who is actually guilty of them...it's more (D) and (R) I'm afraid.

I'll post in the politics forum with more on this - I don't want to drag this thread too far into that realm.
    Thank You MissDarrah, you put is so well!!
    Nic

PS, doesnt this belong in the politics section?

Geat news to see that it passed, saddened that anyone would want to veto a hate crimes bill, this is something which should be beyond politics

MissDarrah you get an AMEN from me!

If I hit a GG in the head with a rock it is a crime. If I hit a M2F CD/TG etc.. in the head with a rock it is a "hate crime". I just don't get it anymore. A crime is a crime no matter what the color, race, and/or gender!
    I am in love with the most understanding GG and my biggest fan. Jennifer, I love you!

Quote Originally Posted by Beth3 View Post
    MissDarrah you get an AMEN from me!

If I hit a GG in the head with a rock it is a crime. If I hit a M2F CD/TG etc.. in the head with a rock it is a "hate crime". I just don't get it anymore. A crime is a crime no matter what the color, race, and/or gender!
    exactly!!!

Nic

there is no doubt that our president...

(and it galls me to even address him as such) will veto this important Bill. I also responded on the Politics board. How sad that the vocal right cannot understand the difference between a Hate Crime and what one might call a regular crime. If one of my African american children were targeted *solely* based on the color of their skin you bet I would call it a Hate Crime. Pity the right wing nutjobs don't get that.

Louise.

Since we can't seem to keep the political component out of this thread, it is now locked.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]