Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should i go to the harry potter book launch en femme?

Little Ms Witch Hermione Simpson's Avatar
    Nottinghamshire UK or the minstry of magic

should i go to the harry potter book launch en femme?

i know it's 2 months away (but it's best to plan early), but should i go to it dressed as my namesake as i've got most of the uniform (all i need is a robe) or should i go drab, tell me what you think i should do
    Although i'm a witch, I can be nice as well (honestly)

http://www.facebook.com/people/Hermi...son/1527490088

Also check out my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/hermionesimpson

Do it hon.
    A Member of the Revolution.

well if you ask me i would say NO as there are children going to be around so not a good idea

no matter how hard we try we will never pass 100% and that could be bad for all of us

Platinum Member
    unless you are TS and full time therefore have no choice then i would say no, as MJ says there will be children around.....that is not the time to be playing dress up

Do it. Cross-play is common at nerdy-type events like these, enough so that there's a word for it . I used to work at a bookstore and at the last HP launch there were plenty of people dressed as their favoirte characters of the opposite gender.

Really, Harry Potter launches have a carnival atmosphere, where people fully expect (or hope?) to see unusual things.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah B View Post
    Really, Harry Potter launches have a carnival atmosphere, where people fully expect (or hope?) to see unusual things.
    the launches might be like that in the US, but they are not here in the UK, which is where Hermoine is

Hugging the Kurves! RobertaFermina's Avatar
    I think that I would not *SURPRISE* reveal myself Enfemme to children who to whom I am a relative, or godparent. Less concerned about school-aged kids and younger, more concerned about adolescents, especially those struggling with their own sexual changes and identity.

Case in point. I crossdress to church at least once a month. It is a noticeable problem for some men in the fellowship, but not for women and children. Parents are able to educate their kids about transgender issues in discussins stimulated by my presence in church.

After a period of discussion and dialogue with such closely related/connected adolescents, it may become safe to reveal myself. That is, enough dialogue to answer their questions and put them at ease that this is MY STUFF and not theirs, and enough to know that they would not be seriously harmed by my presence.
    Roberta
    [COLOR=Red]Open your Heart :

Really Kieron? So people don't show up in costume for launches at all? I'd think that there would at least be a few bookstores with events (THe B&N I worked at had events and announced to the media). Would Hermione really be the only person in costume? That would surprise me, especially for the seventh book! But you'd probably know better than me what's the deal in England.

On a seperate issue, what difference does it make if kids are there? Is it that parents might complain about a person being in drag, or is it that someone in costume is making too big a spectacle?

Leah, let's put it this way.... the middle of Nottingham isn't the place to go dressed up enfemme... especially in the day. And, since this is a kids thing, I'm sure their parents wouldn't be too happy with a guy turning up dressed as Hermoine, it's just not the done thing. Sorry, but it's their day... not an excuse to go out dressed up.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Platinum Member
    Leah many people in society still tar cders with the pedophile name so going somewhere like that dressed, when there will be hundreds of kids around would not be a good idea, think before you act, its common decency!.......its effing common sense!!

Leah, what part of the midwest USa do you live in, because I could see this being a problem over here in Indiana. Mama Bear's get very protective of their children around here, and like Kieron said, many are very ignorant and consider it the same level of preverts as child molestors. Are you in the same midwest?
    [SIZE=3] KRAZYKAT [/SIZE]

Cuddling with my spouse of 18 yrs., GypsyKaren makes me Happy!!

Waiting to live Gnome Queen Sam's Avatar
    YES GO FOR IT IF YOU GOT IT DO IT

Hmm well if everyone dresses up at a event then I would say ok but if you are going to be the only one than I wouldnt since you would stick out really easy.

the term would be called Cosplay. anime and sci fi convections people dress up in either gender but mostly in anime ones because well anime you cant tell sometimes if its a guy or girl anyway on the anime show.

Anime North 2007 is coming to Toronto, Ontario, I know there will be lots of people in costumes off the opposite sex. They have events on the best costumes and events on best shot performance in a group in costume its kinda of neat to watch. I guess dressing enfemme is kind like cosplay to me in a sense I live in a place where there is kids everywhere main in the age bracket of 4-14 , they all seen me dressed up but on Halloween. I get no bad comments just like how to you walk in heels and I just say with practice and then I get a weird look hehe its fun to see.

Tough choice

Quote Originally Posted by Hermione Simpson View Post
    i know it's 2 months away (but it's best to plan early), but should i go to it dressed as my namesake as i've got most of the uniform (all i need is a robe) or should i go drab, tell me what you think i should do
    On the one hand, you would like to think that given the topic, the people you are likely to run into will be open minded. On the other hand there will be a lot of children there, and thanks to decade of TV and movies that portray us as phsyco rapist murderers, you risk a parent getting concerned or over protective. Not pretty, but you DID ask!
    Kim

If it is going to be a large event, do it, there should be others there in character. Be sure to be somewhat conservative, don't dress like a hooker in front of a bunch of kids and their parents.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Well, I'm in Saint Paul/Minneapolis, which is the largest metro area in the upper midwest by a big margin (unless you count Chicago as upper midwest). I'm guessing large cities are more tolerant of, or at least more used to seeing, crossdressing. I don't know where in Indiana you are, but I'm sure it's quite different. There's a fair bit of geography between us.

Speaking of America in general though, big nerdy events bring out a lot of spectacle. There IS a lot of crossover between Potter fans and animé fans, and cross-play is quite common at animé events.

Really, if you expect to see a lot of people in costume, expect people to dress as their favorite characters of either gender. Do people get weird on halloween when guys are in drag?

If it's unwise to try this in Nottingham, it's unwise. If it's a risk worth taking anyway, take it. Could you expect to be chased off beat up or arrested? Don't go. Just sneers? Maybe go. Is it a small town where your rep could be destroyed (although I suspect it isn't a small town)? Don't go.
    Last edited by Leah B; 05-15-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Hermione, I would look at it this way. Would you perceive this as a kids event or an adults event. I know there will most likely be fans of all ages there, but my guess is this is going to be a kids event. Now your age being you are younger will have some to do with it. Being 24 and going would be much better than if you were a 60 year old.

My rule of thumb going out is I generally just go about my business and do not try to avoid kids and families like in mall and other situations. I may say 'Hi' as I pass, but mostly just stay focused on what I am doing. But I do try to avoid any potential conflicts by staying out of stores geared to younger and teen kids. I will leave the lingerie department when a mother with younger kids invades my comfort zone. I will try to steer away from larger groups of just kids but do not outright avoid them. Obvious avoidance is just asking for attention.

I just say be smart in where and how you CD and do not go looking for problems. Would you go into a red neck, leather or biker bar, a conservative bible thumbing church service? IMHO most places are fairly accepting, but also think of how much you may be pushing it and the risks involved. We want to push for acceptance and not make the news for being even a potential pervert. Once it hits the news, you are in most peoples minds, even if you are not.
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

Not the right place for it!

I would have to agree with my the opinion of the UK crowd so far; something like this really isn't the place to be dressed up. Of course if it was the launch event specifically for the adult version of this, or any other book then I'd say it would be fine.

Think of it this way; as a parent taking their child to this event would you want to see an adult dressed as one of the child characters - it would be irrelevant (objectively) whether the adult concerned was male/female/TS/TG it just wouldn't be appropriate.

If you feel you must dress up then possibly picking one of the adult characters may not be such a big deal - however you could end up tending towards the "Dame" look if you're not too careful.

How about organising a private fancy-dress party for friends with the Harry Potter theme? That would seem an ideal excuse to dress as any character you like.
    Fiona

---
    Does my bum look big in this?

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/fionasboots

I was going to go as Hagrid's girlfriend.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Little Ms Witch Hermione Simpson's Avatar
    Nottinghamshire UK or the minstry of magic
    a lot of people have told me to go drab, so if i do, should i dress as hermione at home when i read it as no one will see me
    Although i'm a witch, I can be nice as well (honestly)

http://www.facebook.com/people/Hermi...son/1527490088

Also check out my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/hermionesimpson

Can't think of dressing at a time like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermione Simpson View Post
    a lot of people have told me to go drab, so if i do, should i dress as hermione at home when i read it as no one will see me
    Personally I don't intend to waste any time worrying about what I am wearing, I just want to get the book, then read and find out what happens!

I think I would only be inclined to dress up as a character while reading the book if I could in some way identify with them or want to look/be like them. At 34 I am twice Hermione's age in this last book and I think any attempt by me to look/act like her would be totally unsuccessful and frankly creepy!

I guess at 24 you can actually still remember being 17 so it's maybe not such a big deal and you could probably make a much more convincing Hermione than me, so go for it
    Fiona

---
    Does my bum look big in this?

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/fionasboots

Just do it.

I still have some things I want to do. I want to take a ferry ride this year and I'ld like to visit a museum.

It might probably take another few months to do it.

Doreen

A book launch for a book aimed at children is not the place to go enfemme

It could be disasterous one complaint and will you most likely be asked to leave
    Remember this is for children not you by all means go in costume to a fancy dress party or a adult book launch

Why take a chance on spoiling things for them and you
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Hermione if you look good and can pass then go for it
    Angie

Hugging the Kurves! RobertaFermina's Avatar

Go to the Horses Mouth ?

I am noticing that the voice AGAINST going EnFemme is diverse and quite strong. Enough to give me pause.

Perhaps you are not asking the best advisers.

Why not ask Ms. Rowling, or her publicists ? There is time.

If they said YES! it would afford all the cover you need.

If they said NO! well.....NO!

If they said nothing, you are still on your own.

Nothing to lose, and I'm sure they don't bite !

Roberta
    [COLOR=Red]Open your Heart :