Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: should i go to the harry potter book launch en femme?

I don't understand this "protect the children" stuff at all. Unless the crossdresser wanting to attend the book launch is some sort of lecherous pedophiliac perv (and I'll assume you aren't Hermione ), then what is accomplished by sheltering children from yourselves? Children see all sorts of things in assorted films and television, so where is the harm in seeing a "normal" person wearing clothes normally associated with the other gender? I encounter young children all the time and, although they sometimes stare a bit longer than adults do, I don't believe I have ever traumatized a single one.

Besides, most people who go to these Harry Potter launches, which to my recollection seem to be scheduled at midnight, are usually attended by teens and adults.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Little Ms Witch Hermione Simpson's Avatar
    Nottinghamshire UK or the minstry of magic
    even though it's book 7 instead of me going in a uniform, should i go as she's dressed in the POA movie, as all i need to buy is a pink top as i've already got jeans tell me what you think
    Although i'm a witch, I can be nice as well (honestly)

http://www.facebook.com/people/Hermi...son/1527490088

Also check out my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/hermionesimpson

Quote Originally Posted by Hermione Simpson View Post
    even though it's book 7 instead of me going in a uniform, should i go as she's dressed in the POA movie, as all i need to buy is a pink top as i've already got jeans tell me what you think
    How about just going as you dressed en femme without any reference to Hermione in the book?

I think, to take Sharon's "protect the children" point, my objection is not, though I imagine some peoples might be, that it's a cross dresser, it's more that it's an adult trying to dress as a child.

I think Roberta has actually come up with the best suggestion so far - ask JK Rowling (or the PR reps) what their opinion is. I guess that any events are going to be big and they are maybe expecting and encouraging all sorts of people and publicity to be there.

In fact, if you were completely open with them and explained exactly what you intended to wear (provide pics maybe) then they may be more than happy for you and others to help them out by adding publicity to their events!
    Fiona

---
    Does my bum look big in this?

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/fionasboots

Oh the KIDS would be fine, it's the parents who get all bent out of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    I don't understand this "protect the children" stuff at all.
    Sharon, after reading your statement I had to go back and re-read the posts. And I still do not understand where you get it from. I get from the posts that is is to protect Hermione Simpson and in general the TG image. Still most of society gets their image of TG's from the news and not the good news either. Parents can be very protective of there kids as several have said also.

We understand what most of us TG/Cders are not "some sort of lecherous pedophiliac perv", but many do not and a parent protecting their young is not going to listen to any reason when they are in protective mode. They will make snap protective decisions based on what they know. And if you have one go into protective mode in an area full of kids and parents, watch out is all I can say. Is it worth the chance? It may be to Hermione.

For myself I see that as a high risk situation. I think of it like this. If you were at a place with lots of kids an a guy showed up dressed as a little girl and was mixing with the kids. What would be your first thought??? As a parent mine would at a minimum be at least one of alert and caution at a minimum without knowing any more details. Hermione being young would help a lot over a mid 30's plus person. The older the worse it would be.

And for me if it would have been 10 or more years ago my minimum would have been, pervert, get my kids out of there and let the other parents know. Because that is what I thought of myself and worse.

But that said, I do know at least one GG here that has the "protect the children" stand for CDers going out and being in public areas that may have children. And I would like to see some other GG's view of this.
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

Contact the Author

I will ditto Roberta and Fiona, contacting the Author. Being part of publicity and making an entrance will make it a non-issue. And who knows they may have you do something like hand out pictures or other publicity material. And be ready for some pictures if you go being part of publicity or not.
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

I have to say no as there will kids

Banned Read only
    Errr, ummm, why go to a Harry Potter Book Launch at all?

why i asked should i go as hermione from POA instead yesterday, is because i think i'll be able to pass more as they might think that i'm a girl who's not in costume rather than being fount out if i went in a school uniform, let me know what you think?

[SIZE="3"]As far as dressing around children the only real problems stem from their ignorant uninformed parents. That is the only problem I see with it.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]"Tell me why I can't where a mini 'kilt' to work?"[/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    [SIZE="3"]As far as dressing around children the only real problems stem from their ignorant uninformed parents. That is the only problem I see with it.[/SIZE]
    I don't see a problem actually dressing en femme per se, you're absolutely right that the only people that would take issue are maybe those who are slightly less informed.

Mind you with the number of people that are likely to turn up to get this book your chances of running into the ones that will get upset are obviously that much higher!

It's just the dressing as a kid that is the issue - Hermione, you're probably right that the POA outfit is going to be less conspicuous but I suspect you would then have to be content with just yourself knowing you were in a particular outfit, no-one else would really know.

Why don't you post some pics of the two possible costumes here and then we can all get a better idea of *exactly* what you're thinking of? All I can imagine is normal jeans+top (bit plain) or something like St Trinnians at the other extreme!
    Fiona

---

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda G View Post
    Errr, ummm, why go to a Harry Potter Book Launch at all?
    Heretic!

:cheeky:
    Fiona

---

fionasboots the reason i havent put any pictures of the looks im looking at is although ive tried to i cant

i know some of you have said no but could you explain the difference between a over 30's man dressing as a teenage girl on tv and what i want to do, i know they'll be children their but surely they've seen worse on tv

Well, from what I gather Harry Potter is getting pretty mature, so I'd have no problem shown up in drag.
    Bored? Try wearing a pretty dress. It's fun.

If its legal and you can deal with any attitudes go for it. As far as children? Their parents will just have to teach them to hate on their own. I was exposed to plenty of women with boy haircuts and mens style clothes as a kid. All that happened is I grew up to crossdress like they did.

For what it's worth, Hermione would be 18 by the time of the final book. No longer a child.

Glamerous Granny carolinewalker_2000's Avatar
    have to say I tend to agree with most of the others; probably not a good idea - sounds fun though! You could always buy the book, invite some friends round and have a reading session in character?!!
    [SIZE="3"]Caroline

Tranny Granny
    [/SIZE]

this sounds like a bad idea

I've been to these, and the large numbers of kids and moms would suggest that it's not a great idea (unless your community is extremely tolerant).