Thread: Makeup Dilemma - Eyeliner, Lipliner

Question Makeup Dilemma - Eyeliner, Lipliner

[size=3][size=2]I'm still struggling with makeup and am starting to get demoralized *sigh*.[/size][/size]

[size=3][size=2][/size][/size]
    [size=3][size=2]I have a special problem with lipliner and eyeliner: not blessed [/size][size=2]with graphic art abilities, I can't draw a straight line on paper freehand, much less a curved line on skin [/size][/size]
    [size=3][size=2]Has anybody else coped with this issue? [/size][/size]
    [size=3][size=2]Love[/size]

[/size]
    Last edited by Rachel Ann; 03-03-2005 at 05:30 AM.
    In another time's forgotten space
    Your eyes looked through your mother's face
    Wildflower seed and sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home
    - Robert Hunter

Rachel, I had or have the same problem. I can not draw a straight line when even using a straight edge. But I watched my SO put on her make up and tried to follow how she did it. Thinking about it, when I put on make up. I don't use straight lines. I use a eye liner and just follow the curvature of my upper and lower eye lids. Following the lashes. And for lip lines I do not use a liner. Just lip stick instead. Hope this helps some.
    Hugs and Kisses, Claire

Talking

http://www.lorealparis.co.uk/BeautyCenter/index.asp

Click on MakeUp

Shows you exactly how to apply makeup using small video clips

Tamara x
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Eye/Lip Liner

Rachel-- have faith! You'll pick-up the aristry of cosmetics in no time. Two quick pointers that help me in using eye and lip liner... Use short strokes and don't go TOO heavy. I prefer eye pencils over liquid liner because it is easier to smudge and blend. Liid liner looks way too harsh unless applied sparingly. As for lip liner, don't use too contrasting a shade. I've found I'm better of applying it after I use my lipstick to provide definiton and prevent feathering. Also, don't stray too terribly far from your natural lip lines. And remember, use short strokes. They are easier to control and correct incase you make a boo boo.

Good luck!
    Marie

Lightbulb Eye/Lip Liner

[IMG] [IMG]Rachel-- have faith! You'll pick-up the aristry of cosmetics in no time. Two quick pointers that help me in using eye and lip liner... Use short strokes and don't go TOO heavy. I prefer eye pencils over liquid liner because it is easier to smudge and blend. Liid liner looks way too harsh unless applied sparingly. As for lip liner, don't use too contrasting a shade. I've found I'm better of applying it after I use my lipstick to provide definiton and prevent feathering. Also, don't stray too terribly far from your natural lip lines. And remember, use short strokes. They are easier to control and correct incase you make a boo boo.

Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Marie

Lipliner - I never use it. I can't be bothered. I follow the lead of my girl buddy Blade. Lipstick works just fine. It's fast and easy.

Eyeliner - Blade is great with it. I, on the other hand, am not. I've tried different eyeliners with varying success, and then I only use them for the lower lid and only 1/2 to 2/3 of the way in. I found that some liners, specifically the brush type liners, are impossible for me. I do much better with the ones that resemble felt-tip markers. For the upper lid I just do mascara on the lashes, and figure it's good enough.

Good luck and hope this helps!
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

You don't always have to use eyeliner. Use a dark shade of eyeshadow and apply it with a very thin brush... a lip liner brush is ideal. Apply it from the outside of the eyelid and work to the inside. If you hold the eyelid taught, you will find it will go on more smoothly. Takes a lot of pratice to use an eyeliner pencil and liquid liners are very harsh. Using a pencil eye liner or a darker shade of eyeshadow is much better for blending.

Tamara x
    Administrator

Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Let me take this one step further. Tamara, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Most women don't have the luxury of spending hours doing their makeup every day. They're rushed just the same as us when we're in guy mode. Despite that, their makeup usually looks great!

Now being M2F we usually have a beard to cover, so that does take more time. Even a GG wearing normal foundation isn't going to need to take as long to put on her face, as she probably isn't fighting a perpetual 5 o'clock shadow or serious blemishes. That said, I try to get through makeup as quickly and efficiently as possible. I also find that I can do a better job of my makeup if I go somewhat fast as opposed to going slowly.
    Last edited by fractlgrrl; 03-03-2005 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Missed an apostrophe.
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

I have to agree with that Stephanie... sometimes if I'm in a rush and going out, my makeup can be on in 5 minutes.... I don't wear foundation... I have fairly soft unblemished skin, so I don't feel the need to wear it. But I can get my eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blusher, lip liner and lipstick done in no time at all.

And then there's the days when I'm going somewhere special and decide to take my time putting it on.... and you can guarantee that something goes tits up... eyeshadow hasn't blended right or a smudge of mascara goes on the eyeshadow.... there's always something and I end up running late.

The worst one I do is when applying mascara, my damn hair always seems to find a way onto my brush LOL... it's way past shoulder length now and is getting a tad annoying.....

I'll have to work with Tammy on the 5 o'clock shadow issue and see what we can come up with. She uses Mach 3 which is pretty good and gets a really close shave.

Tamara x
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 03-02-2005 at 10:21 PM. Reason: bah...... missed a bit DOH!
    Administrator

Thanks, ladies. I picked up a few tips at my club tonight too, I'll let you know how they work out.

Quote Originally Posted by fractlgrrl
    Most women don't have the luxury of spending hours doing their makeup every day.
    I will never again say, "honey, what's taking you so long?".

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara-GG
    I have to agree with that Stephanie... sometimes if I'm in a rush and going out, my makeup can be on in 5 minutes.... I don't wear foundation... I have fairly soft unblemished skin, so I don't feel the need to wear it. But I can get my eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blusher, lip liner and lipstick done in no time at all.
    You can look feminine without makeup. I can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara-GG
    You don't always have to use eyeliner.
    Great line by Fran Dresher in "The Beautician and the Beast" (after having her ability as a makeup artist questioned): "I can put on liquid eyeliner on a bumpy crosstown bus!".
    Last edited by Rachel Ann; 03-03-2005 at 05:39 AM.
    In another time's forgotten space
    Your eyes looked through your mother's face
    Wildflower seed and sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home
    - Robert Hunter

I never had much luck with either of them so I usually don't use them. But I will sometimes use eyeliner and that seems to go on fairly well. I'm too shaky for any real sucess.
    Kisses, Linda

Amelie
    I just said this on another thread on how I do my lips.
    I put on lipstick from the normal turn the tube type lipstick. But I sometimes get a jaggered line, it's sort of dtraight but a little jaggered. So, I take an eyeliner pencil(you choose the color) and I lightly draw along the outline of the lipstick that I just put on. I am sort of mixing the pencil with the lipstick to get a better line around my lips.

I use eyeliner quite dramaticly. When I put eyeliner on , sometimes I use a eye pencil first. I draw with the pencil where I want the line to go, then I fill in with the eyeliner after. This way if I make a mistake with the pencil line, it will be easier to erase and start again.

Like what was said earlier, you don't always have to use eyeliner. You can use a pencil around your eyes, then with a brush apply a dark shadow along the pencil line to give your eyes a smoky look. Doing your eyes this way you don't have to draw a perfectly straight line with the pencil. The blending of the shadow to the pencil line will smooth out the jaggered line you might have drawn with the pencil.
    Make-up is similar to how one gets to Carnegie Hall,,,Practice.
    Amelie

Lip Liner/Lipstick

The main problem is matching color. OPI has new Japan colors matching liner to lipstick. I haven't tried them yet. I use L'oreal.

I have no trouble following the outside edge of my lips with liner. It's just like tracing, or following the lines in a coloring book with crayons.

I don't stop with lining however. I do the entire lips in liner. Then I'll go over that with the lipstick. Use a lip brush with the liner to fill in the cracks. And another for the lipstick.

Eye liner:

Use a Kohl pencil. Liquid if you want a more sexy look. Or eye shadow.

With pencil or liquid, reach over head with one hand and pull lids taught at the outter corner, line with other hand. for the lower lid, line/dab between the lashes, not under them.

With shadow. Use a kit with four colors. Apply lightest color between lashes and brow FIRST. Use an applicator.

Then apply the darkest color as a liner. Use a different applicator or a brush like:

Apply next lighter as shadow in the crease above eyeball, using another applicator or another brush.

Using an applicator, apply the next lighter color as lid shadow between the two darker colors.

Use the same type brush to brush on brow powder also instead of a brow pencil.

Then apply mascara.
    DonnaT