Thread: Happiness being myself

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar

Happiness being myself

This evening, I went shopping at the nearby mall -- wearning blouse and modest forms and denim mini-skirt, but otherwise completely in "guy" mode. I was in a store in the mall for roughly 45 minutes, visible to passers-by as "a guy wearing a skirt".

At the store, I openly shopped for nail polish for myself, with active assistance from the SA. ("Doris, you gotta see this -- there's a guy in a skirt in there buying nail-polish!") Some other customers, men and women, came and bought and went, and mostly didn't care what I was doing. The body language of one woman suggested she was Ignoring Me -- no remarks, no glares, just not looking in my direction. But to most of the rest, I was just another friendly customer who had let them go first.

One of the customers was a bit more interesting; she was late-50s or so, and had had a haircut disaster and was in looking at wigs, and through some instinct or other, I knew she wouldn't mind if I was interested in what she was selecting, and I helped hold the wigs. After selecting some wigs to try on, but before going in the back to try them, she turned to me and said,

Quote Originally Posted by late-50s GG
    I just want to compliment you. I'd like to hold your hand {I accepted}. I bet you're a lot happier now {I agreed}; Things are really going your way.
    Later, after she had tried on the wigs and found that they didn't happen to work for her, I leaned over to her and pointed one of the wigs out and told her that "I just get so tempted to try that one on, but I'd have to cut my hair first." She looked over and admired it to; and noticing the one next to it was a longer blond one, she said,

Quote Originally Posted by late-50s GG
    If you don't mind; if I were to pick a wig for you, I'd pick one like that blond one, because you are a blond.
    (I then indicated why I had chosen chestnut for my wigs.)

In synopsis: a total stranger expressed sincere support for me being openly transgendered, and it was obvious to her that my self-acceptance of what I am is making me happy!

I've met people in the past for whom my crossdressing was cool or fun or interesting, or whom have said to "be yourself", but this woman could directly see the connection between my being myself and my being happy.

A strange incident, but pretty cool.

It's good to get out if even as a guy in a skirt even better when your not harrassed. but sounds like you had a great time.

Happiness being myself

Isn't it great being yourself.

sharon
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia ."
    ~Charles Schultz~