Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gurls, girls or Women

gurls, girls or Women

Hi,

I've been reading alot of these post and I really have to object to the term gurls.

I really don't consider myself a girl(a five to 12 year old) or gurl(fake girl, if that the meaning).

How about Ladies or Women. I'm sure most of us here are over 18 and when we talk about our CDing we are relating about woman to other woman.

In that way I don't have to feel like I'm wearing pigtails and bows.

Platinum Member
    i always address all you girls whether mtf or GG, as ladies.........unless im told otherwise that the person doesnt like it

We've had this question before... http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=53062
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabie View Post
    Hi,

I've been reading alot of these post and I really have to object to the term gurls.
    I have to agree. "gurls" is pretty demeaning.

If I use gurl, its because its a typo, i tend to sound out words as I'm typing, thinking about it now though, a woman sounds more our age, a lady is delicate and pretty, girl and boy has a young feel to it.

We may have had the question before, but it keeps coming up for a reason, as far as I can see.

My personal vote is for "women". Dictionary definition of "girl" is "female child" (can also be the equally demaning maid, miss, damsel, or hired girl) and I believe we are all over 18 - or supposed to be. In my neck of the woods, albeit happily leftist, the term used more frequently in everyday conversation is "women" or "womyn". These terms carry more power, so lots of people are still afraid to use them ~ and (yup, I'll say it again) traditionally men have not wanted to share power with women. If we are kept children, of course they won't have to.

Even "ladies" - while polite and lovely - implies the stereotype with all of the constraints that go with it.

I thought this forum was about breaking away from those sorts of constraints.

Words are powerful in the long run....if we have an opportunity to make the language we use more equitable, it's usually better for us as a species.

Even our bureaucratic governments seem to have figured that out at long last!

Carolka
    "Feel yourself being quietly drawn by the deeper pull of what you truly
    love."
    ~ Rumi

Life is like a gift they say
    Wrapped up for you everyday
    Open up and find a way
    To give some of your own
    ~"Ordinary Miracle" by Sarah McLachlan in
    Charlotte's Web

I'm not a woman, a lady or a girl. Since I am none of the afore mentioned "gurl" is OK with me.
    Dana Fleming

how about grrl?

Sorry, butr I use gurls for us CD or TS gurls, and girls from the GG on the net.....BJ

Banned Read only
    I for one don't care what anyone calls me as long as it's not intended as an insult.

It matters little to me, although my choice is to be called by my name rather than a title or pronoun.

I like to be called a lady. And a miss. Like, I hate when people call me ma'am. I'm 24 for heck's sake!

But, yeah, I'm a lady.

(Oh, and I like pigtails and bows! Then again, I'm hella girly.)

Anyway, this is just a GG's opinion. A 'genetic/genuine girl'. Even us real women can't get away from the term 'girl' in the CD community.

Sobe
    Last edited by sobe1ove GG; 06-10-2007 at 10:35 PM. Reason: stupid mistakes

I prefer to be called Jen
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

Well, I understand your concern but as for me, I'm a girl, thats what I feel and consider. Yes, a woman but for many of us, no matter the age, this is like going through puberty again. Sorry! Kisses....
    Pet peeve: not be able to put on my girl clothes!

Object all you want, you have that right. But, people on here will still be using "gurl." I do it myself, it's an easy way to distinguish ourselves from GGs, (Whoops that's probably another one you might object to....so demeaning.)

Seriously, is it really that important? I have a feeling that 1000 years from now, no anthropologist will be studying our thoughts and it "really don't matter!"

Peace and Love, Joanie

The word "girl" is only insulting given that the term "man" is the opposite; girl implies youth. But lately it seems that "boy" is tossed about among women too. Personally, I think both are good for casual use, but should be used carefully since some may find them offensive.

As for this board, It is unacceptable that GG refers to the women of the board, and GM refers to the men. I advocate that either GG become GW or GM becomes GB. Looking at the most practical solution, I think GMs should be henceforth referred to as GBs.

I can understand why people like to be called different terms. They're all legit reasons.

So what I like is "girl"

I know as an adult it should be woman, although adult men are sometimes affectionately called the boys, and adult women called the girls, both by either gender.

More importantly for me, besides the fact that I feel like a teenage girl in many ways (learning stuff GWs (gg) learned when they were younger), I have the privelage of not having the term girl used to belittle me. In fact I WANT to give that power I have as a male away. I actually like the way being called girl releases me from the male power arena. I can understand why many women wouldn't want that though.

As for variations on it's spelling I do not want to distinguish myself from Natal Females (just to confuse everyone more ) . I don't want to be seen as not-really-a-girl gurl gyrl grrl etc. I want to be one of the GIRLS.

Oh yeah, I agree with Leah. I have no problem also being refered to as a Genetic Boy. I think the concept of Genetic refers to 'born as' (which is why Natal is also suitable) and we aren't born as men we are born as boys. LOL, I typed 'we are born as girls' first.
    Last edited by kerrianna; 06-11-2007 at 02:24 AM.
    "I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

~~Post Modern Romantic~~ KewTnCurvy GG's Avatar
    Well, though most may be surprised by this, I'm a feminist.
    At first I bristled here at the term "GG" and would prefer "GW".
    However, after some thought, consulting with Will (as in Shakespear) I decided that a rose by any other name, would smell as sweet.
    So, GG it is.
    But, I use the term "grrlz" and "boiz" as many of you may notice.
    Kew's 2
    ~Dear Dorothy,
    Hate Oz, took the shoes, find your own way home.
    Toto~

Quote Originally Posted by KewTnCurvy GG View Post
    But, I use the term "grrlz" and "boiz" as many of you may notice.
    Kew's 2
    That's just cuz you get 10 points everytime you use a 'Z'
    "I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

soulmate of Mrs.M...GG Victoria Anne's Avatar
    you know I have never given thought to the issue as I have personally used all the afore mentioned terms. Thinking about it I do prefer to be called Viccy or refered to as a women or lady.

On the road of discovery ... learning to be the woman I have always been.

Http://photobucket.com/viccy

Barbara
    Quote Originally Posted by prettywithsideburns View Post
    I for one don't care what anyone calls me as long as it's not intended as an insult.

Sounds good to me.
    Barbara

Let it Blossom - Let it grow

I don't mind any term really,most are said in affection.....old girl?
    OK as well.

[SIZE="3"]With all due respect to the ggs , I know that I am a gm and I would not like to be accused of high jacking a term but I prefer "girl". That's what love and they are who I try to emulate. I have been called every name in the book but I have never objected to being called a girl

Jennifer
    [/SIZE]
    Born female intended

" Don't die with your music still in you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Leah B View Post
    As for this board, It is unacceptable that GG refers to the women of the board, and GM refers to the men. I advocate that either GG become GW or GM becomes GB. Looking at the most practical solution, I think GMs should be henceforth referred to as GBs.
    I've told you before, aint happening, been there, done that, had the vote, etc etc, GG stays!!!
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 06-11-2007 at 06:38 AM.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara GG View Post
    I've told you before, aint happening, been there, done that, had the vote, etc etc, GG stays!!!
    GG is an old phrase of the community, & it rolls off the tongue easily.
    Btw, if I'm not in girl-mode, I'd be flattered to be called a boy.