Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Secret sign

I like the swordfish idea. For us gurls, we would know what it means. For everybody else we like to fish (or is that fishnets )
    Last edited by Christine Davis; 06-14-2007 at 11:51 PM.

I don't think a secret sign is very practical. How do we ensure only other CDers (& friends) know about it? If we used a code word, we'd have to change it frequently.

But I still like the idea of CD/TG symbols & emblems.

I like the chameleon idea. I've seen a lovely jewelled chameleon broach. And some of those colour-changing squids are amazing! Don't know how they'd work as a piece of jewellry, though

Some Seahorse Society members wear seahorse earrings, but I don't think they are the best creature to represent us. After all, the male seahorse doesn't mimic a female seahorse. He simply takes on a role that is more often associated with females in other species.

OTOH, the Seahorse Societies in Australia & the UK are known to the local CD community, so the seahorse does function as an effective emblem. Besides, I think seahorses are cute, in fact I've got a toy plastic one on my coffee table.

There are many marine creatures that change sex. I can post some details if anyone's interested. Some of these creatures start as one sex & change sex when they get older. Others can change back & forth multiple times. But I think such creatures may be better symbols for TS people rather than CDers.

I like the idea of a species where some males sometimes behave like females. Unfortunately, I don't know of any cute ones. There is a species of snake where some males have the ability to emit female pheromones (lucky guys!). This attracts "straight" males in the vicinity, who then all start slithering over the snake they think is female. When the boys are all excited, the pretender slithers out of the mating ball to mate undisturbed with the real female.

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Bunny Slippers Of Doom Frankie-Dear's Avatar
    The chameleon seems a perfect symbol!
    -Frankie

Any path of value will point the way within.

So many worlds, so little time...

iNFj
    Cluster Headache Support/Information
    MENSA International
    Eckankar

Quote Originally Posted by Julogden View Post
    Hi Frankie,

Actually, Seahorses don't change gender. The females transfer their eggs into a pouch in the male, and he carries the eggs in his pouch until the young hatch, but he never changes gender.

Carol, nature nut
    Ah.. thanks for the correction. I do know that there are many sea creatures that do change gender, though. At this point, I really like the chameleon idea. Blend, camouflage, go bright or drab... It seems perfect, really.
    -Frankie

iNFj
    MENSA International
    Eckankar

ive given a lot of thought to this subject too and ive thought of many different objects and symbols that could signify our objective, now there was a thread about this posted a while ago but i couldnt find this, and if the point of such object were to become mainstream as someone said it would be pointless, another thing i was thinking about while reading this is what if someone picked up one of the necklaces from somewhere thought it was nice and started wearing it not knowing what it meant and another cd came up and introduiced themself and whatnot and the person wearing it not knowing what it means freaks out and tells everyone, i mean i totally support this idea, and personally i like the emblem from the link kieron posted, but as mist have stated that is for TS and kinda defeats the point, i mean im totally fine with comming out to ppl because i really dont give a (cencored) what ppl think about me however i like staying in the closet for the time being so if something jewelery wise came out and the meaning of said jewelery would be told to the world i think that personally it shouldnt matter and only the ones that have accepted themselves and wouldnt really care to be outed wear it the ones that would not want to be outed not wear it i think its that simple

Smile sign

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Sue View Post
    A fish such as a Sword Tail as they can change gender.
    I really like this idea.A lot of Christians use a fish symbol as an identifier so most people who see it would just assume they are followers of Christ.Those who know would feel free to initiate a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovely Rita View Post
    Great idea. I am just thinking what we could use and not give ourselves away to the non-cds.
    What a about a necklace with a small ornament in the shape of a television that signals TV. Maybe not.
    Or a necklace and a small music player charm for "CD".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Peggy

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmigir1 View Post
    what if someone picked up one of the necklaces from somewhere thought it was nice and started wearing it not knowing what it meant and another cd came up and introduiced themself and whatnot and the person wearing it not knowing what it means freaks out and tells everyone
    Kimmi,

First, cute name!

Second, as I said in an earlier post, there is always going to be some accidental revelations. The Masonic Order (F&AM) guards their secrets with incredulous zeal, yet there are non-masons who have found out the rituals and the meanings of the symbols.

IMO, if we're going to do this -- and I think we should -- we have to expect and accept that from time-to-time it is going to get out. The good news is that even when things like this have been revealed, it usually doesn't go far. I can't explain why not, but I know this to be true, dating back to what is considered the first secret societies (those of Isis and Osiris).

With some groups, there is a certain way to answer a question that helps weed out enterlopers. Say you were a member of XYZ and somebody asked you if you were a member. If you said "sure," or "yes," or "yep," (etc.), well that is incorrect (I am thinking of a real organization, just calling it XYZ). BUT, if you answered, "Yes, I most assuredly am," well that is the correct answer that you are taught. Is this foolproof? NO! Would something similar help in a scenario like you presented? Yes -- but it isn't a 100% guarantee. It is going to get out from time-to-time.

Identification

Transpitt girls have no problem with this, at least in our club. We have a very tastefull pin that we wear that clearly identifies us as CD club members. I always wear mine when I am out and about dressed. There are so many of these small-type pins around that no one has ever asked me what the pin is for. Only Transpitt, and hopfully other girls are in on the know.

On Cloud 9, or is it 10? ErikaLeigh's Avatar
    And if you see someone you think is TG and not sure, Just ask them "Do you know Karen Hutton?"
    Erika Leigh

Just another 'Gurl'
    I agree Frankie and Wendie a Sea Horse would be cool.
    Just another man in a dress

Another cool one would be a chrysalis pendant. If such a thing could be found or made....
    -Frankie

iNFj
    MENSA International
    Eckankar

Cool.....

Quote Originally Posted by ErikaLeigh View Post
    And if you see someone you think is TG and not sure, Just ask them "Do you know Karen Hutton?"
    Great idea Erika, except maybe it should be a little more like "Do you know my friend Karren H.?"
    Hugs, Andi

So, here is how it should go . . .

Wear a small sterling replica of a compact disc (CD) -- and engraved on it TGKHL (The Genuine Karren Hutton Label).

You see somebody with this on, so you specifically say, Have you heard Karren speak?

Reply: I adore the comedic stylings of the Genuine Miss Hutton.

CONFIRMATION APPROVED!!!

Red face

Now we're getting somewhere. Wear a replica of a CD whether as a pin, a pendant or a ring any should be acceptable. Rather thann outright asking "Are you CD?", use a code such as "Do you Know Karen H". There could be a recognisable reply such as "Do you mean Karen Hutton?" This would remove any doubt. That is unless some sad sole has taken the trouble to read through this thread just to out us!
    Incidentally does it matter whether we are TG, TS or heterosexual dressers?
    I myswelf am a happily married hetero and couldn't care less who I talk to.

Rachael

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
    Now we're getting somewhere. Wear a replica of a CD whether as a pin, a pendant or a ring any should be acceptable. Rather thann outright asking "Are you CD?", use a code such as "Do you Know Karen H". There could be a recognisable reply such as "Do you mean Karen Hutton?" This would remove any doubt. That is unless some sad sole has taken the trouble to read through this thread just to out us! Incidentally does it matter whether we are TG, TS or heterosexual dressers? I myswelf am a happily married hetero and couldn't care less who I talk to. Rachael
    Excellent, Rachael!!! Especially the way you formulated the word affirmation! No, as far as I am concerned it shouldn't matter if we are TS or heterosexual CDers. Like you, I am happily married to a wonderfully supportive wife!!! To me, this would just be a recognition system to help faccilitate meeting "our sisters" and, in turn, be able to more quickly cut through "hemming and hawing" so that we can talk, have a cup of coffee, whatever!

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    use a code such as "Do you Know Karen H".
    I found this sentance a little disturbing as it reminded me of the line from John Carpenters horror film 'In the Mouth Of Madnes' "Do you read Sutter Kane"...

Of course these things would help for those of us on the net.. the rest would still miss out.

Some super Ideas, but I feel whatever design it ended up being, it would need to be patented and we would need at least two designs.
    1. recognizing the fact that I AM A C/D'R
    2. recognizing me as a c/d'r and that if you see me wearing this it is ok to approach me as I then will know that you are c/d friendly because only members of this group are allowed to own one of these patented designs.

Aspiring Member Cindi Ann Kelly's Avatar

sign me up

wouldn't it be great is there was such a thing? We could instantly recognize one another in public without wearing name tags. If you can come up with a method, sign me up!
    Hugs

Cindi