Thread: Has anyone opened a bank account or credit card?

Has anyone opened a bank account or credit card?

I would like to go shopping as a girl but don't want to carry around cash. There are lots of laws and identity checks now to open any sort of banking account and I'd love to have one for myself. Has anyone come across this before?

Love
    Becky
    xx

Some credit card companies will let you get a second card for someone else to use your account. I did that, and got a second card in my femme name. Downside was, the bills started coming with both names printed on them which drove my wife crazy.

Some companies want a SSN for the second name, but some don't require it.

Joyce
    Visit my website at:
    http://www.geocities.com/joyce1702/

[SIZE="3"]"Make Music Not War"[/SIZE]

Hi. Easiest way to go... just ask for an additional card to be send to your own domicile with your femme name. However, the best way to go would be to get a card with only your initials in it.

As for the additional card, I used to have a few with Gaby's name, but really, a lot safer just to get the one with your initials, especially if you are asked at some point for your id. (No, don't get a fake id!!!! DON'T!!)

Regards,
    Gaby

Hi, thank you - that seems quite straightforward in reality!! xx

I don't even understand how you can get a CC in another name?? In the UK, you have to provide proof of who you are and be on the electoral register, even for a second card... so how you you girls in the US etc, get around the credit checks?? (if you have them)...
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Tamera... What would it require for you to get a 2nd card for your daughter or son? It's the same thing. You're still responsible for payment even though it's in another name.

I do think that using the initials is the best idea, then it wouldn't matter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I currently have about 8 credit cards. Some are major cards like VISA/Mastercard and some are department store credit cards like JCPenney, Macy's., etc. I have contacted all my credit card companies either by phone or email and explained I was transgendered and wanted a credit card issued for my femme self. All were happy to do this for me and since I pay my bill each month...everyone is happy.

Take Care,
    Michelle

You can try some prepaid cards like Green Dot www.greendotonline.com
    They charge a $5 monthly fee and you can reload them. They may not be the best solution but they are practically the easiest to get. They are available at most CVS, Rite Aid and other places.

Pay Pal will let you get a second card with anyone's name on it. I have one with my real name and fem name, My fem last name doesn't even match my real last name. Pay Pal might be the way to go.
    Man! I feel like a woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara GG View Post
    I don't even understand how you can get a CC in another name?? In the UK, you have to provide proof of who you are and be on the electoral register, even for a second card... so how you you girls in the US etc, get around the credit checks?? (if you have them)...
    I used to work for Capital One & we would ask for ssn but it did not have to be provided. Credit Card Companies in the U.S. do not check credit bureau reports on authorized users mainly because it barely affects your credit score. As far as I know you cannot add a secondary user once the card is accepted, it had to be sent in on the application. Or at least that is how Capital One does it and I assume many other major cards in the U.S.
    Do you live, do you die
    Do you bleed for the fantasy?
    In your mind, through your eyes
    Do you see it's the fantasy? - 30 Seconds To Mars- The Fantasy

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara GG View Post
    Tamara,

You bring up a valid point.

I don't know if it would still work today or not (and I am thinking not), but years ago when I owned a small business, I got a corporate card -- it had the business name on it and it had my name on it. The issuing bank ran a credit check on me and on the company. I was then able to get two additional cards -- ostensibly for employees that I was authorizing to use the card and which I was guaranteeing. One of the additional cards was, indeed for an employee; the other card was for Sheri. I didn't get to use it much, but it did work just fine.

Now, all that said, I don't think it would be quite that easy today b/c of changes in banking laws due to 9-11. For example, when one of my children got their account before going off to college (pre 9-11), there was no problem issuing the account using that child's nickname (which they always previously did -- in fact they previously were very leinient about a lot of things based on how well they knew you and how long you had banked with them). Later (post 9-11) I went with another of my children for the same purpose and they required the use of that child's full name -- said it was b/c of increasingly stringent rules being incorporated b/c of 9-11. They still opened the account (checking account with debit card and a credit card) without a background credit check b/c of my long history of banking with them, but it still shows how "the times they are a changing."

Funny you should ask. The day before yesterday I contacted Bank of America to see if I could get a second debit card with my other pic, and perhaps even name on it - I was told "no". I could not get a duplicate card for Kim. I can not get a duplicate card period - you can replaced your existing one and have your pic taken again, but it must be a replacement not a duplicate/additional card. I was told you can not get your fem name on it unless its your legal name.
    Bummer . . .

I just went into my bank and asked for the gender to be removed from my card. When they asked why, I just said sometimes I wasn't Mr B. No problems and they issued a new card.

Call me thickheaded but I'm trying to grasp what the point is in doing something like this? Just because it's femme? I don't think it's a good idea trying to get anything concerned with ID mixed up with our femme identity, unless we are planning on transitioning or living full time en femme. In this day and age of identity theft, suspected terrorism, and questionable motives, not a very smooth move in my opinion. So your name is "Charles" instead of "Charlene", who cares? Your money is good in either male or female mode. Don't upset the "fruitbasket", it's shaky enough as it is.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandra View Post
    Call me thickheaded but I'm trying to grasp what the point is in doing something like this? Just because it's femme? I don't think it's a good idea trying to get anything concerned with ID mixed up with our femme identity, unless we are planning on transitioning or living full time en femme. In this day and age of identity theft, suspected terrorism, and questionable motives, not a very smooth move in my opinion. So your name is "Charles" instead of "Charlene", who cares? Your money is good in either male or female mode. Don't upset the "fruitbasket", it's shaky enough as it is.
    i totally agree with Sal......i was thinking of getting a second card or getting the gender title dropped but thought whats the point i'll just keep it as it is til i change my name legally, i dont see the point in messing the bank around for the sake of having cards for both mods

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    Here in North Carolina I use my check card and pin number...never get asked for an ID or to anything. Easy as falling off a log.

Emily Ann
    Living with a heel in each world.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Becky10 View Post
    I would like to go shopping as a girl but don't want to carry around cash. There are lots of laws and identity checks now to open any sort of banking account and I'd love to have one for myself. Has anyone come across this before?

Love
    Becky
    xx
    Ha, I've had friends who open up bank account with a few of those novelty IDs that are made to look like the real things issued by legitmate authorities.

Wow, post patriot act I wouldn't think it possible. I had a hard enough time just cashing my check at the issuing bank because my state issued ID was less than thirty days old.

TX & MN

Caution!!!

It is, I believe, illegal to open an account in a fake name. Ask former IRS special agent Edwards F. Snarski II, who was, about a year or two ago, fired by the IRS, prosecuted and jailed. Why? He had opened credit cards in his fem name, and even though he timely paid the balances he charged, the feds went after him with a vengeance. He claimed he was targeted because the IRS wanted to get rid of him when they discovered he was TG (the fact was brought out during a divorce dispute). He pointed out that no person, no vendor, nor financial institution, was harmed by his use of the fem name. Nonetheless, he apparently sits in prison today. A google search will get you more details.

It may be legal if you formally establish a DBA with your county first.

Cindi Johnson

Cindi -- Living in the area of the former IRS agent, allow me to add that what she did was use his daughter's Social Security number in applying for those cards. That was the crime. True, she did pay off the cards in a timely manner. If I remember correctly she was not jailed, but fined. And she appeared in court as her current gender.
    P.S. And if you asked me, it appeared they were out to get her because of her TGness.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Whats the big deal. Use your male CC and ID.

All of my enfemme shopping I use mostly my male CC and cash for minor purchases only. I even use my male checking account. And yes if asked for an ID I give them my male ID. I have had no problems just a few surprised looks. I even applied for a Victoria Secrets Angel card while enfemme using my male ID.

off
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

Silver Member
    I added my wife to my CC account easily. Just add your feminine persona to your account, or ask for an intial only card. As far as I know, most banks and CC issuers will let you add others to your account as long as you pay your bills. I added my son when he left for college. (that didn't last very long, let me tell you!) A lot of this depends on how you present, who you talk to, how they feel that day, and how the moon aligns with Jupiter and Mars. There are so many different stories out there. Some people have no trouble, and others run up against a brick wall.

There is NO question but that this is all much harder to do in the States now, after 9/11, and that it seems to be much harder still to do this in Great Britain. To their credit, look at how efficiently they have gone after the latest bombers. GREAT JOB, GUYS!!!!

Lovies,
    Stephenie

Talking

I've had cards issued to me in the femme name several times - no questions asked and yes it was post 9/11! Dealing with customer service over the phone at every place I tried was easy - but then my credit rating is good (long time customer) and as long as I pay the card no fraud is involved. They still issue secondary cards for wives, kids, and others and the key thing it seems is an account history with a good payment record with the card to be sent to the billing address.

As for ID - I carry my male ID along with a copy of a letter from my therapist stating that I am an MTF trans woman and will be presenting as a woman on a routine basis as a part of my transition. Again - no problems and have never been asked for ID when out.

One thing that has not changed in the years since I worked retail sales jobs despite any post 9/11 changes in the laws is that if you are confident, calm, and polite you will be accepted for what you appear to be and seldom if ever will be asked for ID. If you appear nervous or furtive you will draw attention in any case.
    And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

-Anais Nin

Peace,

Alice