Thread: A bit of a heel?

A bit of a heel?

I searched this site and didn't really find an answer, so I thought I would throw it out here.

I have looked at all the information about women's shoe sizes that I could find and thought I had the answer to my own size, but I guess I was wrong - not sure.

I am a size 10 male medium (regular). With the information I had and it was all rather consistant, I should have been a woman's size 12 wide.

I went to Payless to buy a cheapy pair for testing and all they had was an 11 wide pair of flats for $13.00. So, I bought them. Guess what, they're too big! I put them on and they were loose. Now that they are stretched a bit, they are way too big.

I really want a pair of heels and don't quite have the courage to try a pair on in the store. Besides, that would require I not ony try them on, but that I try them on with either nylons or one of those little stretchy things in the box.

Are heels much different than flats? Should I try a size 10 wide heel, since the size 11 wide flat is too big? Should I try an 11 wide heel? Should I go with the information and get the 12's?

I'm confused

Platinum Member
    ok haty carrah your ok ........i am a mens size 10 and a womens size 10 ..........
    i don't know why but that works for me........maybe for you too............
    return them payless is ok and get them heels...........you can do it ...............ask the girl to helpe you say you got the wrong size and thay were sposta be a nice pair of high heels ........mumble something abought how embarassing it is or how hard it is for you to buy your girl freind heels she will helpe you out ......................next we will have you in wall mart neck deep in the panty isale .............

Weird...

Quote Originally Posted by wendy me
    ok haty carrah your ok ........i am a mens size 10 and a womens size 10 ..........
    i don't know why but that works for me........maybe for you too............
    That's what I'm thinking, but its kinda weird considering that all the information out there points to a much larger size. Oh well, I'm gonna try the women's 10 wide heel I guess. Thanks!

Yeah, I do talk a lot. I guess I always feel a need to elaborate or articulate; probably the x-wife's fault

Platinum Member
    thats ok girlfrend i can at times be just a little chatty my selfe............

Tristen Cox
    In flats you may find this is true. I actually take the exact same size heel as in both male of female shoes when buying anything under two inches(and this has been posted before at least twice by me) From four inch heels and up, just add one size per inch(starting with a full size over normal at 4" heels) and you should be fine.

Love
    T

I find that payless shoes sizes are not very consistant. I just recently bought a pair of boots in size 9 and a pumps in 10. Both have 2" heels.

I guess it is like dress sizes. All depends on the manufacture.

Richelle

if you shop e-bay most companyies have a shoe conversion chart it will help you in getting the right size xx

The general rule is to add 1 to your mens shoe size for your femme size.
    For really high heels, sometimes they suggest adding 1 1/2.

But, like most rules, there are exceptions to this one as well.

Inconsistencies between mfgs are probably the biggest problem here.

I normally wear an 8 1/2 in mens shoes, but, most of my womens' shoes are just a size 9, even those w/ 5" heels. I even have a pair of 8 1/2's which fit OK.

HTH,
    Rachel Jean

Emily
    That's odd.

I'm a UK male size 10, but a UK female 7 or 8. 7s can be a little tight (depends on the shoes) but 8s are usually very comfortable. I don't have big feet though. Yay!

Thumbs up Sizes-shoes

Hi Carrah,saw your post about womens shoe sizes.It's mostly myth.I worked in a shoe store for men and women,there actually is no difference.Most commonally the sizes run the same its the style that changes the shoe the way it's cut and shaped.Most mens feet are flatter than womens.If you wear a 10 in mens,your probably a 10 in womens.I also wear a 10 and always shoped my regular size.There is a little more flexability with sandles and open toe shoes.When shopping for heels,just get your regular size.Worse comes to worse,all you have to do is exchange them for a different size.If there too tight,try 1 size up.Remember,the size you wear coincides with the shape and heel size.The higher the heel,the tighter the feel.But as always,they need to be broken in.
    Stillettos Are Me and I Love Them!!!!!

Shoes are all different. You truely have to try them on, I have 10's 11's and 12's that fit.

Search Results

Quote Originally Posted by Tristen
    (and this has been posted before at least twice by me)
    Hi Tristen,

Thanks for the information - all of you! I feel better knowing that I wasn't going crazy! I have a very logical mind and when something is inconsistant with logic, I sometimes turn into a locked-up computer program or a deer in headlights. It isn't logical for nearly every source to suggest two sizes larger and then find that they don't fit when the formula is applied. If I had purchased those flats in a 12 wide, they wouldn't even stay on my feet!

I did search, Tristen; honest. Like most search engines, though, it depends on what the search criteria is. I did a search for "shoes" and this resulted in something like 3 or more pages. I viewed as many as I could with my slower-than-a-turtle-swimming-in-molasses Internet connection, but none offered the answer I was looking for.

Thanks, all of you, again for your input; I am going to purchase a size 10 wide heel today when I go into town. Truthfully, I think they'll fit. If not right away, then once they break in. They're nothing fancy. In my case, they would be considered a cheap, beginners heel

I love this website! Y'all are just a great bunch of people...

Just to follow up and close up this thread; I did go out and buy the size 10 wide women's heel and they fit perfectly.

They are both a tiny bit snug, but I wore them for several hours with no problem and I'm certain they'll break in nicely.

So, I'm a 10 men's, and a 10 women's. The difference being I am a wide in women's and medium in men's.

I'm sure style matters; these are basic, 2 inch (I think), pumps or heels - whatever. Either way, it's the first pair of anything I have owned with a heel that fit me right. They look great!

Thanks for your help and input...

Like some of you girls, I wear the same size in ladies shoes that I do in men's shoes, either 8 1/2 or 9, depending on who made the shoe. I know you always read that you should get 2 sizes larger but it is way too big for me.
    Kisses, Linda