Thread: Very First Time Shoe Shopping!

Very First Time Shoe Shopping!

First I went to the mall on an unrelated errand. As I past the shoe section in Sears, I thought it might be a good idea; after all, I DID just get paid...
    So on my way to another store, I stopped in to Famous Footwear. The wide open space and mobs of people scared me away.. lol.
    I regained my courage and strolled through the shoes in Sears. I didn't try anything on, but I had no trouble looking through the boxes and the clearance rack. Didn't find anything, but by that time I was all jazzed up and determined to buy SOMETHING.
    On my way home I stopped into the local Payless and was delighted to find it nearly empty! Also found some very cute mary janes (which I had to ask to find my size!) I couldn't stop smiling while trying on various shoes and taking tiny little steps around the mirror (sparing myself the embarrassment of wobbling around). But I found the SA very helpful, even though he seemed more scared than I was

Pics of my find to follow!

That's really Cool, Ashley!!! Payless is great..

If you have them in your area, check out Shoe Carnival and Value City.. Value City has lots of nice shoes at good prices in larger sizes and its self serve.. I went into SHoe Carnival in my male business suit and tried on heels... The SA's didn't bat an eyelash and they even helped me select styles and colors!!

Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I went to Payless this week. Found a great pair of strappy heals for $8. The female SA did not even bat an eye at checkout and I was in guy mode.

Not your typical girl Lissa Stevens's Avatar
    I love Payless. I try to go when there is one particular SA working. She is very cool with me looking and trying on shoes. She will point out cute new styles. I wish we had a Value City.
    [SIZE="2"]Melissa[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]I'm still standin'
    Better than I ever did
    Lookin' like a true survivor
    Feeling like a little kid
    [/SIZE]

Wink

[SIZE="3"]I'd love to try on shoes in public but I'm not that brave yet. Thus, I have some shoes that fit great and some that don't fit at all. WHY is it that if a guy's shoe is a 9-1/2, it's a 9-1/2 all the time, everywhere, any style, anywhere? With a woman's shoe, a 9-1/2 (on the label) can be anything from an 8 to an 11! Who sizes these things?????!!!! [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyLove View Post
    First I went to the mall on an unrelated errand. As I past the shoe section in Sears, I thought it might be a good idea; after all, I DID just get paid... I was all jazzed up and determined to buy SOMETHING.
    On my way home I stopped into the local Payless and was delighted to find it nearly empty! Also found some very cute mary janes (which I had to ask to find my size!) I couldn't stop smiling while trying on various shoes and taking tiny little steps around the mirror (sparing myself the embarrassment of wobbling around). But I found the SA very helpful, even though he seemed more scared than I was

Pics of my find to follow!
    Oh Oh now you've gone and done it.
    Hang onto your purse honey, it's gonna get empty very soon .
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    [SIZE="3"]I'd love to try on shoes in public but I'm not that brave yet. Thus, I have some shoes that fit great and some that don't fit at all. WHY is it that if a guy's shoe is a 9-1/2, it's a 9-1/2 all the time, everywhere, any style, anywhere? With a woman's shoe, a 9-1/2 (on the label) can be anything from an 8 to an 11! Who sizes these things?????!!!! [/SIZE]
    Randi, That is exactly why women's shoes have to be tried on. There is no standard for size and fit among manufacturers and styles.

Jodi

Way to go Ashley I love shopping for shoes
    Angie

In the paved over air-conditioned desert.

Good job stepping out to shop..(so to speak)

This problem is pervasive with womens clothes and shoes. I think some retailers target women who have gotten larger or whose feet aren't as petite as they once were, with deliberation afore thought. I am a mans size 8 1/2 (but I have a really ..oh never mind) 8 1/2 ANYWHERE. IN womens thats a 10. (google wouldnt lie about a thing like that)

I went into Payless today. all of the 10's were huge! 9.5 was closer, and some styles the 9's were going to fall off my feet. WTF?? why not just throw them in a bin unmarked and yeehaw lets just try-em on til one fits.

WHY do gg's a) put up with this, and b) like this?
    Vincent Vega: Well, I confess that I wait to talk, but I am trying to learn to listen. (paraphrased)

Barbara's Blog

I wear 11.5 wide or 12 regular women's. I have only ever found one pair of shoes at Sears, a pair of 11 strappies which are a bit snug, but lots at PayLess. You can never have too many shoes, boots, whatever. w.

The only problem I have at PayLess, they keep wanting me to buy a purse that matches the shoes I'm buying. What a tough problem...BJ

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    WHY is it that if a guy's shoe is a 9-1/2, it's a 9-1/2 all the time, everywhere, any style, anywhere?
    Not if you have feet like mine -- you will find that mens shoes vary a lot in size as well.

I somehow found myself shoe shopping tonight (I wonder how that happened? ) . The store didn't have any womens shoes in nearly my size, so I tried on a bunch of mens shoes. This is one of the few stores around that I can sometimes find mens that fit me. The mens sizes I tried on tonight ranged from 10 1/2 to 12 and european 43 to 46. I found a good fit in an 11, a decent fit in a 43, had a 45 be too small for me on my left foot but okay on the right; the 46 (next size up) in the exact same model was much too large. I had 45s that were the right length but fit badly; 43 were the right length in several shoes I tried, but there was a 43 that I couldn't even get over the ball of my foot (and was definitely too short). Conclusion for the day: size 12s and european 46 were too long in all styles, but anywhere from 10 1/2 to 11 1/2, 43 to 45 1/2 was needed depending on the style. And in the past, I have ended up in a 12 for some shoes.

I actually find it easier to find inexpensive womens shoes that fit okay -- easier in the sense that although they aren't so widely available, a 12W will either be clearly too small or will fit comfortably, with very little in the way of "almost fits" or "length is okay but the arch is wrong". Mens shoes I have an awful time getting the toe right (and the arch); womens, if the length is right, the toe is often fine. Mens shoes I often have to go ~$250 - $300 -- but I can wear $30 payless womens shoes.

There is an obvious explanation for this: though my feet aren't exactly small, they must be shaped more like womens feet than like mens

I have also found that I MUST try on ALL women's shoes. I normally wear a 12, but in some cases, I have found some 10's that almost swim on my feet. On the other hand, some pumps that I have are all the way up to a whopping size 14!!! What a difference manufacturers and styles make. Payless seems to have the most consistent sizing of any place that I have tried. Maybe it is because us CD ers bring a lot of business their way? lol.

My first real public solo outing en fem was to a Payless Shoe Store. When I went in and no one paid any attention to me, I settled down and started shoe shopping. It was great as you found out. I assume that your were in drab at the time. I spent 30-45 minutes in the store and even had to use my fem voice a few times. I did find a great pair of 2.5" slingbacks that went great with the outfit I was wearing. See my avatar for the outfit.

Pantyhose addicted

Trying on shoes

I can't try on shoes if men are in the store. In my area I go to Intimate Treasures, only women work there. This is where I buy all of my lingerie and some shoes. They all know me and they know I CD. I only go mornings when they are not busy. I love walking around in jeans knee hi's and pumps, such a turn on.

Shoes!! I just love shoes!!!!

Must shop for more shoes!!!!!!!

Someone stop me!!!

girl next door
    Well Congrats, sweetie on your first time. I hope you enjoy your mad, uncontrollable slide into shoe shopping insanity! I did! xoxo Tammi "Imelda" Snow
    [SIZE="3"]
    my wish for you is peace
    [/SIZE]

lo·gom·a·chy /loʊˈgɒməki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[loh-gom-uh-kee] –noun, plural -chies.
    1. a dispute about or concerning words.
    2. an argument or debate marked by the reckless or incorrect use of words; meaningless battle of words

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    That's really Cool, Ashley!!! Payless is great..

If you have them in your area, check out Shoe Carnival and Value City.. Value City has lots of nice shoes at good prices in larger sizes and its self serve.. I went into SHoe Carnival in my male business suit and tried on heels... The SA's didn't bat an eyelash and they even helped me select styles and colors!!

Karren
    I've never heard of either of those stores, but there are a couple of 'fashion discount' stores around here I was thinking of visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyliss View Post
    Oh Oh now you've gone and done it.
    Hang onto your purse honey, it's gonna get empty very soon .
    Tell me about it. I had to force myself to leave cause there were too many other shoes I wanted to try on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Randi, That is exactly why women's shoes have to be tried on. There is no standard for size and fit among manufacturers and styles.

Exactly! Using an online guide, I determined I was an 11. When I first showed up, I went right for the larger section. After a few pairs obviously didn't fit, I skipped down to the smaller sizes. Had I ordered them online, I would've had to send them back like 3 times.

Jodi
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie G View Post
    Way to go Ashley I love shopping for shoes
    Angie
    Thanks! And thanks to the girls whom shared their stories that gave me the courage to go out and shop like I really wanted to!

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnDallas View Post
    My first real public solo outing en fem was to a Payless Shoe Store. When I went in and no one paid any attention to me, I settled down and started shoe shopping. It was great as you found out. I assume that your were in drab at the time. I spent 30-45 minutes in the store and even had to use my fem voice a few times. I did find a great pair of 2.5" slingbacks that went great with the outfit I was wearing. See my avatar for the outfit.
    lol.. I was in drab save for the pantyhose under my jeans I just used my regular voice, but it might be fun trying to come up with a fem voice

Quote Originally Posted by Kendra mtf View Post
    I can't try on shoes if men are in the store.
    That's partly why I chickened out at the first store! lol.. I also tried to "casually browse" by female associates hoping to be asked if I needed any help.

Anyone else feel it's easier to ask for help from a female SA than a man? Or prefer a man?

Anyways, here's a few quick shots!

(Dang.. can't figure out the attachment thinger. Gimme a few minutes)
    Last edited by AshleyLove; 07-14-2007 at 09:47 PM.

It's good to know that some people have good luck with Payless. I on the other hand have only had one or 2 pairs of shoes that I actually kept from them.

I have better luck at Nine West, Martys shoes and even Kohls....

hugs Misty

Shoe shopping is the greatest! It's easy to imagine now why the stereotype of women owning 30 pairs of shoes is there, as I own many, but in drab only have a pair of sneakers, sandals and work boots. Ironically, I was shopping online for a pair of discontinued sandals for my guyself and couldn't find any in men's sizes but found the color and correct size in womens. I guess it's handy I happened to know my size!

I've shopped many times at Payless and I find their attendants helpful and their sizes wide and varied. I always recommend them!

*pout* The attachment manager doesn't work for me. Sorry about being a tease, girls

I have had good luck at Sears (flats and a pair of cute strapped canvas rubber soled shoes), Payless sometimes, Walmart (liked the style but didn't have my size), Penny's, DVS, etc. Just keep going inmto them, wear your rtockings under your pants if in drab so you get a real fit with nylons on, and keep looking through the sale and clearance area. Good luck.