Thread: Recovery

terri jane

Recovery

Looking to develop on line support group for cd<ers in recovery. involved in 12 step fellowship and definitely in the closet. has taken years to feel ok but afraid to let anyone know. i know about anonymity so private messages would be fine. lol terri

What do you mean by recovery ? Self-acceptance or 'cure' ?

terri jane

recovery

i mean in recovery from addiction, still a cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Marla S View Post
    What do you mean by recovery ? Self-acceptance or 'cure' ?
    Yeah.. I don't get that either, Marla!! Not like quitting smoking or Alcoholism ya know!! And if it is self acceptance and your scared to come out of the closet, what messages does that send to anyone wanting to use your process?

I'm confused... As always...

Ohhhh I posted to early... Adicted to what??

Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Recovery

I too am in recovery and found that after I was sober for a while my feninen side came out. And it came out with a vengence. I was dooing things that I never tried before. As far as acceptance goes I had a boatload of things to accept.
    77r90l

Recovery

I have been involved in 12-step recovery programs for a number of yrs,have been sober for 21 yrs,and am also in another 12-step fellowship. e-mail me cosmogirl424@yahoo.com

@terri jane
    If you don't want to make it public, I'd be glad if you PM me.

Actually I am not looking for a recovery, but I am eager to learn something from this point of view too. You can only provit from different kind of thoughts and approaches.
    Last edited by Marla S; 07-27-2007 at 03:33 PM.

12 step? who's is to say crossdressing is an addiction or something bad, i don't consider my crossdressing to be an addiction, or something that i need to recover for, i love my femme self and i could go back and change it i wouldn't
    !2 Step? recovery? Cure? I'm sorry i Just don't get it
    [SIZE="3"]"All I Know is that the choices we make dictate the life's we live, to thy ownself be True." Danny DeVieto Reinassance Man[/SIZE]

Ashley Lynn

This link was removed as we do not allow personal business websites without permission

Not to shock anyone's finer sensibilities but recovering from what exactly?

Hugging the Kurves! RobertaFermina's Avatar

Start Here, Start Now!

I am in recovery from food addiction.

It took me a while before I was willing to share my crossdressing with my 12 step group. After all, they are there for recovery from food addiction, and have no particular opinion on CD as a group.

Since I am an "out there" CD, I realize that CD's who are not so much "out there", and some who are need a place where they can share their CD secret.

I recall "we are only as sick as our secrets", even if they do not relate to our addictions (drug, alcohol, food, gambling, debt, etc.).

If someone has such a group, I'd love to know about it, and offer service.

If there is no such group. why not get some software together and start one ? How about opening a forum here at Crossdressers.Com.

It is a legitimate and powerful intention and cause, I feel positive that, provided we have a substantial initial group, that management/moderatorship would look positively upon such a request.

It starts because we say we need it, and we are willing to take responsibility for it...."because we say so". No other authority is needed to make mutual support a worthy cause.

I'M IN!

Anyone Else ?

In Love and Service,

Roberta
    Last edited by RobertaFermina; 07-27-2007 at 04:15 PM.
    [COLOR=Red]Open your Heart :

Ok so were talking drinkking problem? Right? So what does alcoholism and crossdressing have to do with eachother?? Is this like a TG 12 step program and now many alcoholic crossdressers are out there?

Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

In the paved over air-conditioned desert.

I think she is saying...

is there anyone in recovery for other issues, ie: alcohol, narcotics, sex addiction, eating disorders and the like.

If so this sounds ike a good idea. I would think a thread on such a subject might make sense in the mental health private portion of this forum. I havent yet drug my self over to that forum yet to see but I should.

Either way keep on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Ok so were talking drinkking problem? Right? So what does alcoholism and crossdressing have to do with eachother?? Is this like a TG 12 step program and now many alcoholic crossdressers are out there?

Karren
    Its hard to say, but it could very well relate. For example what does being abused as a child have to do with picking up the bottle years later. In general though the dressing it self would in my opnion have no effect on the likely hood of having an addictive personality. Especially those that are gender dismorphic. In an ideal world where parents, friends and spouses accepted, wearing a dress would have no effect on anything to do with ones self esteem. In reality CD when repressed, shamed, hidden etc, sounds like just the right sort of ingredients to brew up an addiction.
    Last edited by BarbaraTalbot; 07-27-2007 at 04:23 PM.
    Vincent Vega: Well, I confess that I wait to talk, but I am trying to learn to listen. (paraphrased)

Barbara's Blog

If I hide my CD from my family and job, I might hide it from my 12 step community. Then a major portion of my life (maybe my whole future) would not be shared or "weighed and measured" with the support and insight of my fellows. That is a powerful lot of support to lose.

If my fellowship is tolerant and positive on CD (as a normal and healthy form of being and expression) then I can relax my whole being and share completely while I tackle any substance or behavior addiction.

That's what I feel she is saying.

A 12 step community of CD'ers - all with various addictions.

It would not rule out that some might feel that CD is an addiction. I won't rule out that someone may have turned CD into an addiction. ANYTHING can be used as a distraction from emotional and spiritual imbalance and pain, why not CD.

That said, CD is not the focus addiction that Terri Jane appears to be working at this time.

I hope Terri will affirm/clarify this when next she logs on.

Hugs to All !

Roberta

P.S. I haven't checked in to the mental health section.
    Is there any 12 Step Recovery discussion ONGOING there ?

Okay Roberta, I was a bit confused. The 12 step AA program focuses on a spiritual recovery. I have incorporated my spirituality into my CDing from the time I began to understand it and they are linked together and all part of understanding myself.

Hi terri jane. I've been clean and sober since 8/18/1978. I'm in too.

I'm with you Salandra. I love to feel special and feminine and sexy and fun and loving....and I need it to be well connected to the rest of my life to feel REAL. That's my need. I am as much a spiritual person EnFemme as I am otherwise. If that were not true, then I would have to take a serious look at CD as spiritually limiting.

So, being spiritual, it is important to maintain and deepen my spiritual life. 12 step is one of the most powerful tools for doing this. Its simplicity and directness in progressing toward and maintaining emotional and spiritual maturity is amazing! Taking (and retracing) the 12 steps has amplified the gifts of all my spiritual practices.

Roberta

terri jane
    ok kinda new to this forum. iam so appreciative of the responses I have recieved. let me try again, i am not looking for a cure nor do I view crossdressing as addictive, i will leave that for others to decide. i am recovering from addiction (drugs) for 23 years now. i am lookin for others to relate with and get support from. i am a cross dresser and that has been with me since childhood andi am in my opinion getting around finally to accept it and believe that i am too ok. my fears of rejection, it has happened, keep me from trusting friends. its kind of a long story but i need some people who are in recovery (12 step) any kind of addiction, that are just willing to be supportive. some of you responded in kind and i am very thankful. i really am not looking to change or cure my cding, just some folks who have been where i am at and looking to accept my side as being whole and good and ok in the eyes of my HIgher Power. i have divulged my secret to a couple, including wife but am not looking to out myself to the rest of my circle of loved ones at least not yet.