Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The computer gave me away

The computer gave me away

Has anyone been caught because of the home computer. I still have one teen at home and an ocassional computer savey son that comes over often. I always delete history and search boxes, but somethimes I think I'm just keidding myself. I'm thinking Savey son has checked the computer for places I have not cleared. Should I stay off the home computer or fear not.

Redhead Ready to Rock Bobbie cd's Avatar
    If you are really concerned about it, you can do a Google search on the subject. There are a lot of software utilities out there specifically designed to erase any tell-tale tracks of what you have been looking at on your computer.
    Live in the Present.
    Forgive the Past.

Well, you can do a few things.

If you have XP or Vista, create your own account which is password protected.

Even better is to get an USB-stick and Portable Firefox.

Install this browser on the USB-stick. The browser will run from the USB-stick and will save the history, and temporary files and everything else on the stick. There are hardly traces left on your computer then.
    If you are finished just take the stick and all 'dangerous data' with you.

Thanks!! Hadn't thought about that. Just did as you suggested.

Here's one that's even easier. Get a USB key (a cheap one will do), and use Portable FireFox. Of course you'll have to keep the key with you, or locked up.

Never did trust these 'puters. Especially when the control is called a "mouse", which will "rat" on you.

How about this? Get your own personal "lap top" that you can keep under "lock and key". Leaves the "home computer" shiney clean.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Gold Member
    Yep it's how my wife found out about me , hell of a way to get outted.

Of course if everyone knows already then there is nothing to keep secret. Communication is such a wonderful thing too bad so few people do it.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Yes - it got me

The answer to your question is yes, my 18 year old son busted me because of the PC. I forgot to clear the browser history and when he started typing a web address into the explorer, it very helpfully gave him a list of sites that matched what he had typed so far. As he was looking for an address that started with "C" "Crossdressers.com" was suggested to him! lol
    The good news is he is cool with it - no great trauma.

Yes those computers can follow only your instructions so pay attention! My daughter came home late last year and found a picture page on my hard drive still opened up! My fault. She knows now and is totally into helping me, what a great kid!

The history file can be set-up under options so that it always clears things and doesn't maintain a history file. Good thing to set.
    Sally

You should check out our Tech forum, there are loads of threads that can help you clear out everything on your PC. But even so, kids are very savvy... I wouldn't let mine on my lappy
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Was talking to one of my friends this weekend at the stage door. She had been using a computer at the hospital where she works to use her Tgirl ID. Anyway she forgot to turnoff the computer...co workers found her profile and pics. Now everyone at work knows she is a CD! But she is moving to a new job and is going to go FT. So it just rushed up her coming out.

I personally at work never look at this site or log on to any of my internet places where I am Deidra at. Matter of fact I just don't goof off at work anyway!!! Well except for looking at the news, sometimes thats handy for work anyway. I have called my boss and say hey there is a story about a compititor or something on DRUDGEREPORT...check it out.

At home I have the computer locked down with a password. The Kids have their own computer and besides that my daughter knows anyway...but I have managed to keep my son from finding out.

Here's a trick you could use to reduce that chance.. Use the Guest account when you surf TG sites.. Turn it on and off from the control panel - user accounts.. Leave it off normally and just turn it on when you need it.. Also make the look and feel look just like the default user account so no one will notice if they happen to walk by..

Just beware that all cookies and temp internet files and photos will be store in c:/documents and settings/guest.... I used to have a password protected DaD account but that raised more questions so I deleted it... Lol. A laptop is a great idea and its what I use mainly. But you need wifi ..

Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

100% spoiled brat christina marie's Avatar
    www.antionline.com has many good ideas on computer security and a good tutorial on onion servers. very useful. cannot find your history with a bloodhound!
    "you can have this nail file when you pry it from my cold ,dead hands."

You might want ot consider getting another PC, or a lap top. If you just use the a pc for the Internet and such, you can get a fairly decent one pretty cheap. Or go all out and get a new one. If you aren't sure how much you would use it dressed, rent one for a month or so. Set it up so that only you can log on and set the screensaver to kick on within a minute of no activity. Make sure to set the screensaver to request your password!
    Man! I feel like a woman!

ALthough the firefox and memory stick is a great idea, there are still other dangers.

For example, I take pics of my outings and or outfits. When I edit them, the last ones stay in the program history. So it's possible to "find" them even if one wouldn't have a clue where to look on the directory.

Also don't forget the last documents edited in the start directory.

Granted, the risk is very low, maybe acceptable for you.

In my opinion, there is no safe place. It's just too easy to forget something, sometime. To be 100% certain, it has to be a computer for your use only.

Hugs, Lori

Use CCleaner, very easy and effective.

living life to the full Jamie M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyliss View Post
    How about this? Get your own personal "lap top" that you can keep under "lock and key". Leaves the "home computer" shiney clean.

If you can afford it I just love this idea . no matter what you do on your own "visible" computer to try and clear histories , there's always the option of human error giving you away just as i did very recently.

With my sister in law staying over for a few nights , i had just logged into msn as julia to check for any mails but got distracted by baby needing a nappy change . Whilst deep into this smelly task sis asks if she can check her mail , shortly followed by "james , are you julia ?"

One heart attack later and i've got some serious fast explaining to do , doh !

The alternative, I think, is to just tell everyone and then you don't have to play any of these cat and "mouse" games. Just a thought.

Hi

I like the portable Firefox option!

But both Netscape and Firefox have settings that will automatically clear all history on exit, so you never forget. I'd assume that IE has a similar option. The only thing not cleared is your list of bookmarks/favorite sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori SC View Post
    ALthough the firefox and memory stick is a great idea, there are still other dangers.

For example, I take pics of my outings and or outfits. When I edit them, the last ones stay in the program history. So it's possible to "find" them even if one wouldn't have a clue where to look on the directory.

Also don't forget the last documents edited in the start directory.

Granted, the risk is very low, maybe acceptable for you.

In my opinion, there is no safe place. It's just too easy to forget something, sometime. To be 100% certain, it has to be a computer for your use only.

Hugs, Lori
    This might not be as bad as you think, if you don't name those files specifically, then they can be stored on the memory stick (get a large one), so when you pull it, those programs have nothing to find.

Exclamation USB keys and Portable Apps

For most of us here the budget is the big limitation - a personal laptop is the ideal solution but it is likely too expensive for many. Others here have mentioned using a USB stick/key and Portable Firefox and that is a start. If you go shopping for a USB key try to get one in the 1 to 4 GB range size wise. Prices are coming down and the more space you have for storing pictures, web pages, email etc. the better. I've seen 1GB keys going for $10 to $15 on sale lately. Then go to www.portableapps.com and download one of their suites that include Firefox, Thunderbird (email client), Open Office, etc. - or build your own list (suite) of programs from their list of available apps. All versions of the Portableapps suite and all the individual programs on the site are FREE downloads. Well worth your time to check them out.
    And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

-Anais Nin

Peace,

Alice

Love being a girly girl! Country girl's Avatar

Question

[SIZE=3]I suppose being honest about who you are is out of the question? But I've always thought honesty far outweighed lies and deciet. It has to be hard always sneaking around and trying to hide your tracks, or worrying about who might see what you've been up to. Just a thought. CG GG[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Country Girl GG [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]When you find something good... Grab it with both hands and do all you can do to keep it![/SIZE]

Be warned when you use browser options to clear URLs, Cookies and Internet Files all you do is remove them from being seen by normal programs. The operating system XP, Vista any of them merely takes these files and mark the space these files had taken on your hard drive as available for reuse. A Computer Geek (yep I am one) can get at this space and read it! You need a program that as well deleting/removing unwanted files also overwrites the original contents with random data. Such utility programs are available, some good ones for free.

The point is: Consider your computer to be 'an openbook' to every body who can physically get their hands on it even if you have activated the delete options in your browser.

Also do not rely on separate user accounts and passwords as a means of providing ultimate security it does not - it makes it harder thats all. A computer can often be booted through a CD/DVD and the hard disk examined that way!

Sorry for the bad news!