Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transgender! Here did it get there?

Question Transgender! How did it get there?

I really want to know why.....

Transgender is lumped in to "Gay Lesbian & Bi" .

Transgender is not a sexuality, it is just in between "Male & Female".

As a male you have 4 types of sexuality:
    • Straight
    • Bi
    • Gay
    • A-Sexual

As a Female you have 4 types of sexuality:
    • Straight
    • Bi
    • Lesbian
    • A-Sexual

But as a Transgender you have 5 types of sexuality:
    • Straight
    • Bi
    • Gay
    • Lesbian
    • A-Sexual

So in the list how does the Transgender fit in the sexual titles?

Why did it get there anyhow?

Maybe I will just call myself a TryGender {I tried one gender now I will try the other}. Thats me Ranae!

RC
    {With the inquiring mind}
    Last edited by Ranae; 08-07-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Typo error... Silly me.

I'll go it one better Ranae and say to me it's TY(thank you) gender.Whatever it is, it's helped me to understand myself better for sure.

Not a little girl
    Helen Boyd's new book "Shes not the man I married" discusses this topic in depth, Highly suggested reading!

Basically it is an attempt to join the ranks of the Gay/Lesbian rights activists to assure equal rigfhts for all gender/sexuality variants.

Really did not know the answer why.....so googled it and got this.

Why "transgender" is lumped in with "gay lesbian and bi" whenever something is categorized.

. Even though transgendered is not really about one's sexual orientation I think transgendered people have to deal with many similar problems as gay, bi and lesbian people. Society is divided in its opinion on these groups, there is a lot of controversy, all of them are discriminated against and have some people fighting against them. In a way I think it's ok to group transgendered together with gays, bis and lesbians when it comes to discussing matters that have to do with their rights and society's attitude towards them. The transgendered are a bit different from the rest, but I don't think they'd be better off if they were alone in their battle for acceptance.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

Pure politics, that is why it is lumped together nothing more. Just remember that politics is far more than who gets elected. Aids was the first "political disease", where politics so overpowered the merely medical that nonsensical ways of dealing with it were created to avoid hurting the feelings of the victims.

The whole LGBT way of life is politics played out on the retail stage. It is not about sexuality it is about power and control over people's own life. If it truly were about the sexuality there would be little connections between the various parts of the L G B & T communities each is mostly separate unto itself with their own issues and their own agendas.

What is remarkable is that these separate communities have been able to remain basically together at all given their lack of togetherness in other areas of life.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Yep LGB and T are lumped together because of a similar kind of discrimination ... that's all.
    You could pick up any other discriminated group and put TG folks in there ... no big difference.

This has advantages in being a bigger (hence louder) group of 'fellow combatants'.

It has disadvantages, because transness is confused with sexual orientation in the fist instance. Hence people usually miss the point of it, and the first label you get is a CD is gay or lesbian.
    Last edited by Marla S; 08-07-2007 at 08:54 AM.

Yes Marla, This is the reason for this thread.

I personlly consider myself a A-Sexual .... But when someone hears that one is a TG or CD one of their first questions is "Your Gay?".

Quote Originally Posted by Ranae
    Yes Marla, This is the reason for this thread.
    I thought so and I am not happy with this 'grouping' either.

Personally I think we would be better off without this direct LGB linkage.
    There has enough work to be done to reconcile CD and TS folks.

I think we owe the LGB movement a lot for paving the way towards a more tolerant society, but I think it is high time to stand on our own feet now.

Our "enemies", in their ignorance, have lumped us T's in with the LGB, and since we generally find more acceptance among gay and lesbian folk than among stright folk, we've just sort of fallen in with gay and lesbian people.

Allying with them gives us more strength in numbers, but does tend to confuse the straight world even more than they are when it comes to differentiating between sexual and gender identities.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

[QUOTE=Marla S;962353][SIZE="1"]I think we owe the LGB movement a lot for paving the way towards a more tolerant society, but I think it is high time to stand on our own feet now.[/[/SIZE]QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]I am with you 100% on that....

There is a lot of time we are shunned by the GBL as they are not really as accepting to the TG community as the general public is.

I see this a lot on our outing adventures and the clubbing we do.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Ranae
    [SIZE="2"]Just a "TRYGENDER" Girl![/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"] OPL VP+ discount #541280 - NEW INCREASE! It is now a 15% discount at any Red Roof Inns in the USA just for the T-Girls[/SIZE]

In the paved over air-conditioned desert.

I actually emailed ads by google about this a couple of weeks ago.

As a straight appraiser with a real estate license, no matter what kind of affinity I feel for the struggles a gay man might have selling real estate, I am a lousy candidate for ads that advertise find a gay Realtor now.

I would actually be more inclined to click on find a black or Hispanic Realtor now if it was about shared struggles with discrimination.

I have long laughed at the "Women's Council of Realtors Round Table where they sit around and talk about the challenges of being a woman in Real Estate Sales. considering women are 65 to 70% of the licensees, I'm not sure what the challenge is, but I digress.

Neither is actually appropriate.

I am unlikely to pick any professional on the basis of discriminating against entire classes of people just because they are numerically superior.
    Vincent Vega: Well, I confess that I wait to talk, but I am trying to learn to listen. (paraphrased)

Barbara's Blog

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    Ranae,

You ask, "So in the list how does the Transgender fit in the sexual titles? Why did it get there anyhow?"

That brings up two items. First what does the term mean? (It is something we seem to discuss on here every few weeks.) Second, how does it fit in with, or become associated with GLB?

To answer the second question first, several have given reasons for such grouping . . . and I think what Di came up with is the most accurate:

Quote Originally Posted by Di GG View Post
    Even though transgendered is not really about one's sexual orientation I think transgendered people have to deal with many similar problems as gay, bi and lesbian people. Society is divided in its opinion on these groups, there is a lot of controversy, all of them are discriminated against and have some people fighting against them. In a way I think it's ok to group transgendered together with gays, bis and lesbians when it comes to discussing matters that have to do with their rights and society's attitude towards them. The transgendered are a bit different from the rest, but I don't think they'd be better off if they were alone in their battle for acceptance.

To answer the first question (and thus see how it fits into the second), I subscribe to the following:

In psychology and psychiatry (as well as current general medical literature) TG is an umbrella term. The common academic definition of trangendered is one with a cross gender identification that, on one end of the scale is expressed as a need or desire to crossdress, partially (from a single article of clothing) to fully, with or without the goal of achieving sexual arousal, to those who desire to pass as the other sex, to those with a stated desire to be the other sex (desiring to live or be treated as the other sex). On the TS side of the scale there is usually persistent discomfort with one's sense of their gender AND their anatomical sex. A transgendered person can also be considered to be one whose gender identity is, to some greater or lesser degree, inconsistent with with their sexual anatomy so that one's sense of gender is somewhere between feminine and masculine.

Transgender identification and behaviors fall on a continuum between that which has always been held to be traditionally maculine and that which has always been held to be traditionally feminine.

Obviously, anyone who is TG can also be GLB, but being TG doesn't automatically place one in any specific sexual orientation.

No LABELS -- No STEREOTYPING -- No BOXING ANYONE IN -- it is just a way to communicate and, in so doing, know we are all on the same page!!!
    [SIZE="4"]Sheri[/SIZE]

How would you go about it

Quote Originally Posted by Marla S View Post
    I think we owe the LGB movement a lot for paving the way towards a more tolerant society, but I think it is high time to stand on our own feet now.

How would you suggest going about it, separating from LGB movement?
    Christianna

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. An old idea, still applies today. You find your allies wherever they may be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by christianna
    How would you suggest going about it, separating from LGB movement?
    Christianna
    Haha, now you got me ... Weisenheimer wise

Let's think what I as an individual could do.

Besides saying that it is a different matter, when asked or it is commented about:

I don't visit LGB clubs or bars in order to have an opportunity to dress.

I often thought about participating in gay prides, but actually never did, because I always thought I don't fit in there.
    I resolved to be a bystander of the next one, to support and applaud them, but this will be one of the few days I will wear pure drab.

I might participate in a parade under this flag, if there is one and I have the guts .

More organized folks (I am not a member of any group) could (and according to my impression already do) organize their own events.

I could (should ?) become a member of a TG group.

What I find most important is that CDs and TSs find a common ground. IMO there are strong tendencies to segregate from each other (partly for good reasons).

There have been two documentaries lately here in G, where TSs insisted not to be confused with the 'short-skirt-fraction' (aka CDs) and that transitioning ' released them from this burden'.

CDs in general could desexualise their dressing in public (including i-net).
    Last edited by Marla S; 08-07-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Gender Identity vs Sexual Preference.

For most of the general public, the most common frame of reference for crossdressing is the Drag Queen circuit which has been predominantly a subset of the gay community. Thus the immediate mental association of crossdressing and gay.

The differentiation between Gender Identity and Sexual orientation is difficult for most to grasp. (Count the number of posts from new members that incluse "Am I.. or Is he.. gay?").

With more acceptance and more openness, the difference will come out. Differentiation is a good thing, but acceptance is higher on the list IMHO. I someone accepts me I can explain the difference. If they do not accept me I probably will not get the chance. I would rather piggyback on a law that prohibits GBLT discrimination than attempt to seperate GBL from T
    Carin

I have gone on a journey in search if myself. If you find me before I return, please hold on to me until I get back.
    Telling our Children

Quote Originally Posted by celeste26 View Post
    Pure politics, that is why it is lumped together nothing more. Just remember that politics is far more than who gets elected. Aids was the first "political disease", where politics so overpowered the merely medical that nonsensical ways of dealing with it were created to avoid hurting the feelings of the victims.

The whole LGBT way of life is politics played out on the retail stage. It is not about sexuality it is about power and control over people's own life. If it truly were about the sexuality there would be little connections between the various parts of the L G B & T communities each is mostly separate unto itself with their own issues and their own agendas.

What is remarkable is that these separate communities have been able to remain basically together at all given their lack of togetherness in other areas of life.
    [SIZE="2"]
    Your right about LGBT managing to stay together though there are differences. One thing that we all face together and that's discrimination.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carin View Post
    Differentiation is a good thing, but acceptance is higher on the list IMHO.
    Great statement, Carin . . . and I agree wholeheartedly -- in fact, I agree with your whole post!!! The general public's perception is that Drag Queens make sense b/c there is a congruence of sexual orientation and appearance -- combined with temperament. Therein lies the double-edged sword of association! Differentation is a must; acceptance, perhaps depends upon it in a broader sense?!!?
    [SIZE="4"]Sheri[/SIZE]

If I have learned anything, it's that you have to make your own way in the TG community and without your own individual fortitude, you are finished regardless of whether you are in a group or Org. or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Marla S View Post
    That is wishfull thinking from what I have observed in the "community". Transgendered people are a very small, and generally inactive minority. In T-girl groups, it is hard enough to even get enough girls to help with organizing things. Most agree with Cindy Lauper "gurls just want to have fun". If you disassociate us with our brothers and sisters in the Gay, Lesbian, and Bi community then we are the weaker and lesser for it.

As far as the grouping being a sexual thing that is more of a percieved thing then really the truth. We are all together because we are varients to the mainstream ideas of gender, sex, and men and women. Gay and lesbian people would tell you that it's not mostly about sex, it's about love. The intersex people would also tell you it's not about sex but about freedom to exist. And to be honest, alot in the transgendered world is about sex! Yes it is primarily about gender and gender expression but there is a very strong element of sexuallity the runs thru almost all of our subgroups.

If you don't like the grouping than try putting some effort into working for our group independantly. Talk to your legislators about protections. Stand up and dissent when someones makes a degrading comment about a T person. If you're not willing to put the work in, don't complain about the people that are.

Start small. I am just getting involved but the more you do, the more it snowballs into something larger.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Sally24
    That is wishfull thinking from what I have observed in the "community". Transgendered people are a very small, and generally inactive minority. In T-girl groups, it is hard enough to even get enough girls to help with organizing things. Most agree with Cindy Lauper "gurls just want to have fun". If you disassociate us with our brothers and sisters in the Gay, Lesbian, and Bi community then we are the weaker and lesser for it.

As far as the grouping being a sexual thing that is more of a percieved thing then really the truth. We are all together because we are varients to the mainstream ideas of gender, sex, and men and women. Gay and lesbian people would tell you that it's not mostly about sex, it's about love. The intersex people would also tell you it's not about sex but about freedom to exist. And to be honest, alot in the transgendered world is about sex! Yes it is primarily about gender and gender expression but there is a very strong element of sexuallity the runs thru almost all of our subgroups.
    I have no problems with homosexuals, and I know that it is about love. I am not stupid.
    I do have problems with the 'straight (normal) folks' and their perception.
    I want to be seen as me and not to be boxed as gay or sex driven something by the straight folks that thinks along the most 'obvious' and most familiar line, even if it is the wrong one and you told them.
    Hence the intention is not to distance myself/ourselves from LGB but to sharpen the own profile, by stepping a bit aside.

If you don't like the grouping than try putting some effort into working for our group independantly. Talk to your legislators about protections. Stand up and dissent when someones makes a degrading comment about a T person. If you're not willing to put the work in, don't complain about the people that are.

Start small. I am just getting involved but the more you do, the more it snowballs into something larger.
    It seems a bit impossible to discuss things from a less popular side without getting some 'super wise' advises.
    I certainly don't need this advises, because I already do my part every day and almost everywhere (partly caused the breakup with my partner, and doesn't make it more easy to get a job for a living, next maybe will be loosing my flat).
    I don't complain. I try to discuss.
    Last edited by Marla S; 08-07-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sally24 View Post

Well put, Sally.

From my talks with a person, who was very involved, in the "Gay Rights Movement", the "T" used to be for TS people. Since 99% of the TG people where and still are "in the closet", someone had to stand up for them and they LGB people did.

From my association with various LGBT groups, I would say that 90% of the LGB people are still in the closet.

So, this leaves a few people, to bear the burden of FIGHTING for equal rights.

I don't want to sound too dramatic, but WE need to do something, You may be afraid, but if you want the right to be yourself, you have to stand up for yourself. Whether this means telling you SO that you're a TG person or wearing a skirt on Main Street, or showing your children that your behavior is normal or loving yourself for who you are, do something!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I belive simple that its those other communities that except us. Not like most of society that doesnt for reasons of pure ignorance.

Life is like a PIE,
    Why is it we have to keep picking it apart(TS, TG, BI, Gay, Straight, EtC.). Can't we just leave it as a whole pie treat everyone equal and get along???
    Tamera
    Please read this regarding personal information http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_personal_information

[SIZE="2"]"GENDER" is not whats between the "THIGHS", but whats between the "EARS".....[/SIZE]

Exclamation

I knew at the time of writing the original. Part of this thread we was going to see so many different ideas and commits about this.

Tamera, We are not picking the "pie" apart The BI, Gay, Straight, and so on,. Are totally different than your gender. I am one of the first and and very huge on treating everyone equal no matter gender or sexual orientation and I do try to get along with all until they give me a reason why I should not and even then I still try. I just get tired of the first question from someone when thy find out someone is TG they say, "Oh Your gay?" or "I thought you was married, Does she know your gay" or "How long have you known you were gay"...... It does not matter if I am Gay or Bi or A-sexual... It only matters that my blood runs red in my vain's like theres I am just in between genders.

It is not that I don't like the grouping, It is that just being Transgendered and being placed in a sexual orientation spot is wrong, It always has been and it will for many years to come. I do work to educate the general public about the TG life style.

As for trying to put some effort into working for our group independently. Those that know me personally, Knows I am one that opens my mouth and say's my piece, No matter if I am total out enfemm or plain old drab, I do stand up and try to get them to understand, when someone's makes a degrading comment about a Transgender.

Talk to your legislators about protections? We have laws that protect us as people, We as a group just need to learn how to use them for ourselves. Yes, there maybe times where a law needs a bit of tweaking but for the most part we have laws that we can use for almost every case we encounter.

Being trans does not make us any more special than the man or woman standing next to anyone of us. We only want to be equal to them and use the SAME rights and laws they use. My blood runs red just like everyone else's, So why should we not be equal?

Just like in Ohio. They are pushing for a Transgender Housing Discrimination Law. Why, The gender discrimination law on the books already cover us. This was proven a couple years back with a case in Columbus for a OSU student off campus. So why the effort and $ spent for a law that is already there. Use the time and effort for education or enforcing the existing laws.

It's just like I hear "We need a new Hate Crime Bill". Come on we have the hate crime laws already so why push for more of the same laws but with different names on it. I don't thank any of us are wanting "Special Treatment" at least I don't I just want treated like a human. Let's focus our attention on making them enforce the laws already there. It does no one any good to get laws the double over each other, passed if we are not going to make them enforce them.

For instance, Murder. To me Murder is Murder. Does it really matter how it is titled? No. If it is a "Hate Crime" murder they will get the same prison time as if it was a "Plain" murder. So why a new bill just to title it as a hate crime. Couldn't we have just as well put our time and effort and funding in to having the states murder bill set to "LIFE ONLY" instead of 15-25 years. Make them know if you are going to muder some one no matter if they are old, young, male,Trans, Female, or no matter what their sexual orientation is they will get life. Why should muder be different on the time spent in prision because of someones sexual orientation than if they was just old or a loving husband or child?

Now back to our part of acceptance. I am out to a lot of TG events that I host. Some only 3 or 4 girls some times just me or me and my wifey then there is some that 12 - 18 girls attend. These events are in public places. No, I am not talking the "Clubbing Scene" yet. Once in a while we might get a strange look/stare or a rough commit, But for the most part the general public to pay us much attention. We are not bothering them so they have no reason too. The ones that does come in contact with us usually has questions. They are wanting to understand us. The first thing is that they get to know we are not "Jerry Springer Guest", We do that by our appearance and actions. In the last 2 -3 years there has been a large turn around on how the general public see us. I believe we are actually seen in a far better light and really more accepted by the open public than the Gay community.

Now I did not say the Gay community does not accept us, I am just saying I see more shunning and "stay away from us" in the Gay community. Point in fact: I host a Girls Night Out once a month and the gay club we go to (now for 2 and a half years) accepts us. The patrons have came a long way on accepting us there, But for the first 6 months it was like putting oil on water. The "Boy's" would be at the bar and one of us girls would go to get a drink, They would hurry to leave the station or turn away from us and not even say a word. Yes, now they are used to us being there and knows the owner is not going to turn us away. So yes they dance talk and joke around with us. But these same "boys" if seen at any of the other clubs are just like they was at the beginning. So, that proves to me that they are just putting up with us at this one place and not really accepting us.

If you look around and talk with other host of TG parties or GNO's around the country you will see the same happenings.

Maybe it is just in our area, But I personally see it as being accepted in the open public far better than the acceptance in the Gay or Lesbian communities. So YES, I am all for educating the general public and getting our indepenance from the GBL as for the Transgender as a gender not a sexual orientation.

As I said at the start I try to get along with everyone so PLEASE don't shot the writer as it is just my thoughts and not the responcabilty of my fingers typing.
    [SIZE="3"]Ranae
    [SIZE="2"]Just a "TRYGENDER" Girl![/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"] OPL VP+ discount #541280 - NEW INCREASE! It is now a 15% discount at any Red Roof Inns in the USA just for the T-Girls[/SIZE]