Thread: The truth about waxing

The truth about waxing

I have to voyage into the desert and I'm considering waxing my legs, pits and maybe bikini too if I can find the courage. But I remember my electro girl saying in my initial consult that I shouldn't pluck facial hair because it will grow back coarse and tougher. Is that true? or only for the face? I presume waxing and plucking have the same end result - yank follicle out by root. My leg hair is pretty fine right now and I wouldn't want it as coarse as the hair that once graced my face.

-b

My recommendation is to find a new electro girl, if she told you that old wive's tale

Here are a lot of hair fallacies:
    http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/hairgrow.asp
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Def an old wives tale... tell her to get back to school and re-train. The only reason a hair would seem to be coarser, is if you shaved it, which makes the end flat, hence a coarser feel to it. But the more you wax/pluck, the more finer the hair becomes and if you get the hair whilst the root is white, it's less likely to grow back.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Spot on Tamara!!

Huggs, Renee

...or more resistant to electrolysis??? I don't know but it sounds like she was talking out of her posterior. Anyway I've been seeing a different girl for a while but I suspect the training they get is pretty minimal.

Have any of you waxed your legs before? How long does it really last? Are there stragglers - you know, hairs that pop up out of nowhere?

Hair grows in cycles, so if you wax today there will always be hairs just getting ready to grow, so yes, there are always stragglers. I have been waxed many times, I love it! I have found that waxing skill varies greatly.....

Here is a link that describes the cycles: http://www.keratin.com/aa/aa008.shtml
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One of my favorite subjects, while I'm not an expert on the subject, I do know one thing, since I've been getting waxed every 7 weeks, what hair has grown back is finer, smoother, and LESS.
    My first "session" took almost 3 hours for "everything". That was almost 3 years ago. This past Wed I had an appt and she was finished in 45 min. I was a bit surprised by how quickly it went and she told me that, since I had less hair to remove it helped, plus the fact that by now she knew which way the hair grew in particular areas. That way she didn't have to reapply the wax and pull from a different direction, again.
    Usually for me the hair begins to show up around week 5, and I "tough it out" for the next two.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Body hair will grow back thinner and finer after you wax it a few times but beard hair is the opposite. If you pluck it, it becomes more coarse. I can tell you this from experience. I used to pluck an occasional hair that was bugging me for whatever reason and I basicly created a group of very coarse, multi-stranded hairs on my face that my electrologist had to work at removing over about a 4-5 month period. the root's were distorted and hard to kill. Beard hair growth is androgen related, that's why plucking it makes it more coarse.
    Eyebrow hair is like body hair, even more so. You can actually tire out eyebrow hairs to the point where they basicly stop growing back, by constant plucking. That's one reason a lot of older women have no eyebrows, a lifetime of plucking them real thin.
    "I see your true colors shining through, your true colors, and that's why I love you,
    so don't be afraid to let them show, your true colors, true colors are beautiful, like a rainbow"

"Without change,something sleeps deep inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken!"[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wanna be a girl. Ibuki_Warpetal's Avatar
    Facial hair gets thicker as you age, and more coarse and unruly to a point. It only appears to thicken from plucking because the original hairs were lighter and thinner. Fact of life.
    If you pluck a hair, you are not expediting the process, but the plucked hair will be thin in comparison to the new one.

It's more noticeable for people like me, I'm 24 and still finding new dark hairs in places they were not before, such as my shoulders and under fore arms. If I shave or pluck them, that will be the end of the little white baby hairs that have been there for years, and they will be replaced with what just happens to be thicker hair.

The only way the hair will become thinner is by destroying or weakening the root, or other factors in hair growth.
    The last name is Warpetal.
    That should have been your first clue.
    No regrets.
    WHEN YOU FIGHT YOU CAN LOSE
    BUT WHEN YOU GIVE UP YOU'VE ALREADY LOST.

In the paved over air-conditioned desert.

I was in midst of a semi-scientific study.

Comparing Veet to waxing. Left leg is Veet, right is waxed. I had to cheat and Veet some strays on the right. Then I blew the experiment by shaving both, then later Veet on both. Veet definatly grows back less course than the flat end of saved hair feels.

I perceive a little less regrowth on the originally waxed side. Veet looks a lot better because the waxing really tore up my leg.
    Vincent Vega: Well, I confess that I wait to talk, but I am trying to learn to listen. (paraphrased)

Barbara's Blog