Thread: I chickened out.

I chickened out.

Today was my day off so I got up and put on a house dress and a little makeup and was just going to putz around the house.
    My wife reminded me I needed to go into town and get some lumber and she wanted me to go grocery shopping while I was out.

Reluctantly I told her I would get changed and go.

I pretty much live in ladies clothes as it is and have been shopping with my wife quite a few times, but never alone. She told me not to worry about changing that she thought I looked just fine and didn't think anyone would say anything.

Well I made it to the grocery store and was able to get everything my wife had on the list.
    There were quite a few ladies there doing their shopping. Most of them had several kids so they were too busy to pay any attention to me.

The only thing I had to say to anyone was at the checkout line was plastic and thank you when I finished checking out and No when the kid asked if I needed any help to the car.

When I finished there I got things loaded in the truck and started on my way to Lowe's but I got to the next exit and chickened out.

I guess it's one thing to go shopping for groceries in a dress and heels. A lot of women dress that way when they shop.
    I just couldn't bring myself to go to the lumber store and buy a bunch of 2x4's and a sheet of oak plywood. So I went home and changed into guy mode and went back and got what I needed.

Oh well, Maybe next time.
    Last edited by Krystenw; 06-24-2008 at 11:46 PM.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    What, ladies don't ever buy lumber? You really look good in your picture, so what is the problem?

I have shopped at Home Depot, Office Max and Office Depot, and a host of other stores while dressed totally enfemme but no wig and no makeup. Just a man wearing female clothing. Had my share of "double-takes," but the only comment that I ever heard was one lady telling me she really liked my outfit. I was wearing a pale blue skort and a pink tank top. Of course, I had a pushup bra on which gave me a nice bosom! (I am a natural 40 B)

Hope next time you don't turn chicken!

Sissy

More Girl than man soometimes

Gald you had fun at the grocery sweetie! Don't sweat skipping Lowes...I don't think I'd go there enfemme either knowing I'd have to load up plywood and a bunch of stuff. Would be hard being femmy lifting all that into your truck or car.

By the way you notice how differently ya gotta do the shopping when in girl mode at the store? Gotta keep the fem walk going, use a cart, keep up with your purse, etc! I really am stuck by that when I go enfemme shopping at the grocery.

I was in gurlie mode at Home Depot today, with out any problems...BJ

Silver Member
    Well of course, sweetie. You would have stood out like a sore thumb buying plywood and 2x4s in heels!

You did exactly the right thing.

I dress 24/7 hon, and I would never go to Home Depot in anything other than jeans. Do you want to ruin your pretty things? Of course not! Dress for where you are going if you want to blend in.

There's plenty of nice work clothes for women. Wear something apropriate.

Loviers,
    Stephenie

I just wish I had the nerve to go out en femme period. I really admire all of you- especially Deidra- you are one of my heroes hon! But I live in a rural area where everyone knows me and it just doesn't work. Krysten you look great tho and hugs to you for your bravery

It might have been a little difficult maneuvering plywood while wearing heals, and might have ruined your dress. So, I think you made the right choice.
    DonnaT

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    hang on!

No when the kid asked if I needed any help to the car.
    what store in what magical land does a clerk ask you if you need help with your bags!?!?!?
    Drumming, My other hobby

Krysten, you looked good gurl. But you did not look like the average gal going to the lumber yard to get lumber. If you just had a couple of minor small things I would say you would have been fine. But if you were getting more and anything of size and actually had some loading to do, a dress and heels would not have been the correct attire. Most gals would have been at least in casual skirt, but most in jeans with a basic femme top or tee, flats or sneakers. Dress to blend is my rule when going out. I wear my denim skirts a lot when I go out.
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

I've been to Lowe's in a dress more times that I can count, but not in hose and heels. I agree, handling a 4x8 sheet in them would have been difficult. Next time, wear sandals or flats.

Girl! You look great!
    If I were in you're neighborhood, I would've gone to the grocery store and to Lowe's with you.

Remember, its the work week and if you're out and about you'll notice women in their business or business casual work clothes so what you wore would've been perfectly fine at Lowes. Or, you could've changed into something more casual.
    It would be tough to lug around that plywood and all, but then again there's always the helpful staff.
    I'm sure they wouldn't have minded assisting a female customer.
    Oh well. Like you said, there's always next time.
    Best wishes!

Hugs!
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Girl,

If I looked one tenth as good as you I'd go anywhere. But some one said you would be over dressed for Lowes. That I can understand.

Wish you all the best.

Susie Bear

Thanks for your encouragement. I have been to this grocery store before with my wife and and have seen many professional ladies shopping. That’s why I didn’t worry about going there.
    I agree that next time I will wear Capri’s and sandals.
    I appreciate the compliments. Thanks again.
    Krysten