Thread: TG Friendly States

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

TG Friendly States

I found this at another forum today. They basically rank US states with respect to TG friendliness. Do you think it's accurate?

most people in california think that sanfransisco is northern cal. But there is alot of state to go. I live in the northern part of northern cal and it is a very unfreindly towards c/d's and trans. Lots of small minded people up here.

They gave Missouri a zero for "attitudes towards TG/TS people". But parts of the Saint Louis area are OK at least. I'd give MO a one. It's gotta be better than Nebraska.
    [SIZE="3"]Michelle[/SIZE]

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    I disagree with her comment about upstate NY being not TG friendly. Ithaca, NY is a great place. I have told people at work and most area like...ok, thats cool, whatever, nothing unusual
    Drumming, My other hobby

I would say that the list is of little usefulness. Most states are too large to generalize like that.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by Julogden View Post
    I would say that the list is of little usefulness. Most states are too large to generalize like that.

Carol
    In terms of attitudes I agree. Knowing the level of legal projection might be useful.

Aspiring Member
    unless im mistaken it is not illegal to dress as you please in america. to hack with what they think im gonna be me.

In the paved over air-conditioned desert.

I liked the idea of information about areas of the country.

I agree that by state is too big a region to be meaningful.

Then I look at his data. There are way too many extraordinary assumptions for this to be even remotely useful.

You can't back up at all the hypothesis that basically a poor state will attract people that don't accept.

He spent a month doing this. Interesting well thought out but not even slightly useful.
    Vincent Vega: Well, I confess that I wait to talk, but I am trying to learn to listen. (paraphrased)

Barbara's Blog

Read like a list of which states voted for Bush...

Sorry...

To politize CDing is wrong.

Not every "liberal" state has a great attitude toward us.

With that said, I know that the people in the South generally discourage CDing, but you have to take in account blue collar areas of the northeast and northwest as well.

Show up in Buffalo NY in dress...or the wrong neighborhood in Philly and get back to me.

Morgan
    Last edited by SatinDoll00; 08-20-2007 at 12:19 AM.
    “Truth Hits Everybody"

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    You can find pockets of "tolerence" and "Intolerance" in evry state---and in every city for that matter, it all depends on where you go and what you do.

And also dont confuse some "tolerance" with exploitation---Some politicians may pretend to be "tolerant" just to get votes. They are all talk and no action

I tend to agree that overall it is pretty useless, however well written or how much time was spent on it. As far as my home state is concerned, I would agree that the more rural parts of the state will be less accepting. As someone pointed out about red states versus blue states. Most bible fairing people think everything fun is a sin. That would include our choice of attire.

TX & MN
    I think she did a good job, overall. Sure, generalizations are just that; there are exceptions. I definitely agree that rural and poorer areas are much less TG friendly; often they are simply TG dangerous.

No mention of weather?? Mpls-St.Paul may be TG friendly, but in January a girl's bare legs will quickly freeze (still, it is a great place!).

Cindi Johnson

In the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains of VA
    The whole thing did read just likd a general overview, for my part I have never had any troubles where I live in Virginia or the parts of Maryland and DC that I visit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life is too short dress whenever you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah. View Post
    Do you think it's accurate?
    Nope. First, way too little data (and of questionable validity). Second, questionable assumptions bordering on prejudice. Statistics are only as good as their foundations: you feed them crap and more crap is what you get.

And then, statewide is just too wide for generalizations. I live in Chicago and yes, Boystown is indeed a very open minded area, but try going 30 miles downstate (no need to go further) and see what your neighbor thinks of your ruffled petticoats.

If you want a better guide to the legal protections for TG persons in a state see this page from the Human Rights Commission:

http://www.hrc.org/Template.cfm?Sect...ContentID=8471

How do you quantify the intangibe? I have serious doubts as to the methodology of the survey. It is way too easy to 'cook the books.' By selecting which areas are of the most importance one can adjust the data to support most any argument.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

An interesting read, but...

i don't know how anyone could compile that much 'accurate' info. Probably some fact, some opinions, some half-truths and some just plain wrong. Maybe some credit is due for trying.

By the way...in regards to the Twin Cities question I have just one answer from experience... Mall of America, 520+ stores, 72 degrees year round, a lifetime of shopping bliss...sigh!
    No closet is big enough!

Wanna be a girl. Ibuki_Warpetal's Avatar
    I'd say they have Alaska fairly accurate. There is a very high level of intolerance as this is a very conservative state.

Even so, I press on...
    The last name is Warpetal.
    That should have been your first clue.
    No regrets.
    WHEN YOU FIGHT YOU CAN LOSE
    BUT WHEN YOU GIVE UP YOU'VE ALREADY LOST.