Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TG Friendly States

TG Friendly States

I found this at another forum today. They basically rank US states with respect to TG friendliness. Do you think it's accurate?

most people in california think that sanfransisco is northern cal. But there is alot of state to go. I live in the northern part of northern cal and it is a very unfreindly towards c/d's and trans. Lots of small minded people up here.

They gave Missouri a zero for "attitudes towards TG/TS people". But parts of the Saint Louis area are OK at least. I'd give MO a one. It's gotta be better than Nebraska.
    [SIZE="3"]Michelle[/SIZE]

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    I disagree with her comment about upstate NY being not TG friendly. Ithaca, NY is a great place. I have told people at work and most area like...ok, thats cool, whatever, nothing unusual
    Drumming, My other hobby

I would say that the list is of little usefulness. Most states are too large to generalize like that.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    You can find pockets of "tolerence" and "Intolerance" in evry state---and in every city for that matter, it all depends on where you go and what you do.

And also dont confuse some "tolerance" with exploitation---Some politicians may pretend to be "tolerant" just to get votes. They are all talk and no action

Quote Originally Posted by Julogden View Post
    I would say that the list is of little usefulness. Most states are too large to generalize like that.

Carol
    In terms of attitudes I agree. Knowing the level of legal projection might be useful.
    [SIZE="3"]Michelle[/SIZE]

Aspiring Member
    unless im mistaken it is not illegal to dress as you please in america. to hack with what they think im gonna be me.

In the paved over air-conditioned desert.

I liked the idea of information about areas of the country.

I agree that by state is too big a region to be meaningful.

Then I look at his data. There are way too many extraordinary assumptions for this to be even remotely useful.

You can't back up at all the hypothesis that basically a poor state will attract people that don't accept.

He spent a month doing this. Interesting well thought out but not even slightly useful.
    Vincent Vega: Well, I confess that I wait to talk, but I am trying to learn to listen. (paraphrased)

Barbara's Blog

Read like a list of which states voted for Bush...

Sorry...

To politize CDing is wrong.

Not every "liberal" state has a great attitude toward us.

With that said, I know that the people in the South generally discourage CDing, but you have to take in account blue collar areas of the northeast and northwest as well.

Show up in Buffalo NY in dress...or the wrong neighborhood in Philly and get back to me.

Morgan
    Last edited by SatinDoll00; 08-20-2007 at 12:19 AM.
    “Truth Hits Everybody"

I have found that Utah in general is not an accepting state for this, I feel that most of this is due to the religious nature of the state. That being said I am still going forward and make a statement in this state.
    If you want to live life on your own terms:
    "You gotta be willing to Crash & Burn"

Dakota

Links requiring a sign in are not permitted

!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dakota_ann69 View Post
    I have found that Utah in general is not an accepting state for this, I feel that most of this is due to the religious nature of the state. That being said I am still going forward and make a statement in this state.
    You GO SWEETIE!!

Morgan
    “Truth Hits Everybody"

I think the New York listing is dead-on. The only thing they got wrong is not minusing the slow moving state legislature. But yes, upstate NY is a very TV/TG unfriendly area, especially compared to NYC. This is a great list.

I think we are speaking in generalities, and then the question becomes is it generally accurate as a description of "prevailing conditions?"

I can't speak for persons in other States, but for Florida the pocket description of the overall conditions and the ratings seem pretty close to accurate.....IMHO.

From personal knowledge, I would say that Tampa/St. Pete has areas of TG Tolerance too, and I imagine that most larger towns in Florida are the same. However, when I make that statement, I am reminded of what we just went through with Susan Stanton. Please try and understand, that we who live here would like to believe that situation was the exception, rather than the rule. Makes all the rest of Florida look to be backward and TG unfriendly. I would like to think that is just not so.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    This is just too generalized . . . even in the best of areas you're going to find pockets of intolerance -- and even in the worst of areas, it doesn't mean there aren't some who aren't accepting. Florida is pretty tolerant -- at least the metro areas. Ft. Lauderdale is great -- Miami's South Beach is also great -- and parts of Jax, Tallahassee, and Tampa. This doesn't mean there aren't areas that should be totally off limits. The Florida Keys, especially Key West, are a very tolerant area -- sort of like Provincetown, Mass. Atlanta, Ga. has some very accepting places -- but don't go out to Acworth all dressed up. NYC is fine -- the rest of the state has to be considered on an area-by-area basis. (In fact, go back to NYC -- there are areas I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a miniskirt in; that said, I have founda small area in West Virginia where I felt very comfortable. You kust never know!!!!

The place I would say that I have found that is more "in general" accepting as an entire city than anywhere else thus far is Las Vegas!!!
    [SIZE="4"]Sheri[/SIZE]

I tend to agree that overall it is pretty useless, however well written or how much time was spent on it. As far as my home state is concerned, I would agree that the more rural parts of the state will be less accepting. As someone pointed out about red states versus blue states. Most bible fairing people think everything fun is a sin. That would include our choice of attire.

I would have to say that I have spent time in most of the 50 states dressed (Not remotely passing) and have had ZERO problems which to me makes his/her calculation completley BOGUS. I used to live in NH which is where I started coming out in public and shopping in stores dressed amd never had so much as a funny look. Now living in AZ and havin been going out dressed (again not passing) for almost 8 years have only gotten 1 negative reaction (but then again I never should have gone near the college) otherwise its pretty much been live and let live. I guess I cant put any faith in that what so ever. Sorry.
    High Heels, are there any other type of shoe?

Good to see my chosen state to move to is near the top of the list, though I would disagree about high income taxes. In Washington they have an incredibly regressive tax structure (8.6 % sales tax + local sales taxes) which convinced me to look elsewhere since at my relatively low income that would hit me far worse than Oregon's income tax.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Can anyone from the Minneapolis-St. Paul area vouch for its TG friendliness? I think it was at the top of the list for the most part.

Gold Member
    Damn I better pack my bags

Michigan
    Population – 10120000
    Protections for TG/TS people – 0
    Attitudes towards TG/TS people – 1
    Level of government bureaucracy – 2
    Wages – 2
    Local economy – 0
    Cost of living – 3
    Infrastructure – 3
    Crime rate – 1
    Plusses: Low cost of living for large state. Relatively pro-liberty, dirt cheap housing.
    Minuses: Auto industry collapse has caused the state economy to lurch back to what it was in the 1920s. High crime, especially in the Detroit area. Population is hostile to TG people in most areas. Miniscule % of population is protected.
    Overall: 12/36

Great fun to read, and she did try her best. But regardless useless!

She rated Georgias economy a 2! We actually have one of the fastest growing strong economies in the US. She mentions of Atlanta is tolerant but not much of the rest of the State. But heck Atl is well over half of the States whole population. Like 6 million people out of 9 million. Obviously I got a axe to grind since I luv where I live and feel its a great place to be Transgendered, but regardless disagree with much of it.

I think like some others have already posted....really States are too big a category....metro areas would be better.

Senior Junior Member Lisa Renee's Avatar

I don't think its accurate

I just can't see it as being accurate at all. I live in Utah and have been going out enfemme for quite a few years now and have never had a problem. Never had anyone here give me any problems at all. I even spent a week enfemme in Charleston SC and didn't have any problems there either.
    Last edited by Lisa Renee; 08-20-2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added
    Lisa Renee

TX & MN
    I think she did a good job, overall. Sure, generalizations are just that; there are exceptions. I definitely agree that rural and poorer areas are much less TG friendly; often they are simply TG dangerous.

No mention of weather?? Mpls-St.Paul may be TG friendly, but in January a girl's bare legs will quickly freeze (still, it is a great place!).

Cindi Johnson

In the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains of VA
    The whole thing did read just likd a general overview, for my part I have never had any troubles where I live in Virginia or the parts of Maryland and DC that I visit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life is too short dress whenever you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah. View Post
    Do you think it's accurate?
    Nope. First, way too little data (and of questionable validity). Second, questionable assumptions bordering on prejudice. Statistics are only as good as their foundations: you feed them crap and more crap is what you get.

And then, statewide is just too wide for generalizations. I live in Chicago and yes, Boystown is indeed a very open minded area, but try going 30 miles downstate (no need to go further) and see what your neighbor thinks of your ruffled petticoats.