Thread: Green Acres

Green Acres

I am getting on in years now and don't suspect that many of you "ladies" out there even remember this classic old sitcom. But, I am betting that many of you folks who grew up in the 60' who are on this site still do remember.

I remember growing up watching that classic sitcom "Green Acres" always looking at the lovely Eva Gabor, always studying what she was wearing. And then when in almost every scene she would appear in one of those famous Lucie Anne peignoir creations it was sensational! That layered shimmering nylon chiffon of full sweep, it was magnificent to behold. I even thought, or dared to think that someday I would love just being able to even see one of these rare Beverly Hills creations. I had seen nightgowns before but never anything like these! These were the Hollywood creations from the "boudoir" era that spanned back to the late 1930's when glamour was in vogue. And over the past few decades that feminine glamour is now, sadly all but gone.

I have always loved the "baby-doll" type pajamas, you remember that slippery layered nylon chiffon that they don't make anymore? I started searching the net for any, any company that still makes such feminine creations but after over a year of searching, sadly I found none! Finally I turned to EBay, the vintage lingerie postings.

I began looking at "Peignoir" listings and it took a few months but sure enough one of those Lucie Anne creations showed up for sale one day!! Now I am not one who is into buying "gently worn" used lingerie but as I said that era, that age is now, sadly decades past!

I did some research and kept looking at EBay until I spotted the right gown then made my bid. Of course it started out slowly but I knew that although women no longer wear these type of garments plenty of CD's were out there waiting to pounce on such a stellar find.

I bided my time and kept bidding and low and behold I won one of those gowns! I figured it was probably a joke or something but a few days later, sure enough an original Lucie Anne from Beverly Hills arrived in the mail!

Could it be I thought, that I might have just bought and item that I have been lusting over for the past 30 years? It had to be too good to be true! But as soon as I opened the box I became spellbound!

As I moved the tissue paper out of the way and took the gown and robe out of the box I was amazed at the weight of all that nylon and nylon chiffon! The gown must have weighed at least 6 pounds! But I continued on.

I tried the gown and although it was a snug fit I made it work. I then slipped the multi-layered chiffon gown on, which was most of the weight of the peignoir. I found it snug but it fit nicely! And as I tied the robe around my waist and I saw that vision in the mirror of the gown I had lusted after for nearly thirty years that was now not only in my posession but one which I was wearing I swooned! It looked exactly like the gowns worn by "Lisa Douglas" on Green Acres!!

Well, it's a dream come true! It was expensive to be sure to locate and then get such a peignoir but it really is a chiffon overdose!

I can only say that if you want something you really like, go for it! If any of you other girls out there have one of these gowns let me know what you think. They really are the limit and over the top as far as boudoir creations go!

And I thought that she bought them at Sam Drucker's store.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

I guess I am an old girl too because I remember watching that show.
    Danielle

Lucky you. but, does Arnold Ziffle know bout this?

"Green Acres" was one of my faves. There were only two women on that show that I can recall. And the one wore carpenter clothes all the time.

I also loved "Petticoat Junction". Most of the time the girls always wore dresses. Weren't the "Petticoat Junction" and "Green Acres" gang supposed to live in the same town?

Karen Sue

Quote Originally Posted by KarenSusan View Post
    Weren't the "Petticoat Junction" and "Green Acres" gang supposed to live in the same town?
    Geographically, not sure. Psychologically, joined at the hip.

Hi Shiny,I was very fascinated with the sitcoms of the fifties and the sixties when I was growing up and like you,I thought Lisa Douglas' gowns were just dreamy. I'm very glad to hear that you've been able to fulfill your ambition of procuring a Lisa Douglas style clothing item. I keep trying to save up enough money to have certain items which I've daydreamed about for years sewed for me by people who do crossdresser sewing on line but the money always seems to get eaten up on other stuff,bills,etc.. Good for you that you made the Peignoir a reality.Hi Karen Susan and Wenda,Green Acres was a spinoff of Peticoat Junction and certain characters like Sam Drucker appeared in both shows. I don't think that both shows were supposed to be situated in the exact same town but both featured the nearby towns of "Hooterville" and "Pixley". And also "Crabwell Corners". There is also the railroad line with the "Hooterville Cannonball" but this was less prominent in Green Acres. Girls, I don't mean to be arrogant by lecturing. I spent a lot of time loafing with TV in the sixties. But I can see by this thread that I'm not alone.

Darling I love you but give me park avenue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am so happy you have your gown. I loved those gowns too. Never realey thought much about it though.
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

Cool!!! I'm glad you finally got what you wanted. Perserveriance will win out...BJ

"Green acres is the place to be"

I guess I am an old girl too because I remember watching that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice B View Post
    "Farm livin' is the life for me!"

LOL...don't let Mr Kimball catch you parading in front of the mirror!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice B View Post
    Just to "pile on" Alice: "Farm Livin' is the life for me!"

Seriously, often feel like I'm dealing with Mr. Haney on some of those auctions on Ebay.

I loved the show as a kid, felt sorry for Oliver. He was the only sane person living in a world of people gone mad! Hey, when your 10 or 11, your not that sophisticated and hard to get that type of "subtle humor"....indeed!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Aspiring Member

So sorry

I never did like that show! I am a hogan's heroes fan myself. and by the way that sexy german secretaries that worked at stalag 13 if you know what i mean anyway just my mlae side showing through.

Suzy Ann!

Green Acres.... Remember it well. I call our mini-farm of 10 small acres by the same!

Thumbs up Both shows

[SIZE="3"]Yes, I loved both of those shows. Yes, again the vintage nylon gowns feel heavenly. If you would like a modern day gown with a heavenly feel look for Miss Elaine, nylon gowns. They don't sell a baby doll style, but the nylon fabric does have a vintage feel about it. They are not cheap, usually $40-$50, but if you wait until a season change, they are sometimes available for 50%-75% off. The last one I bought was for my wife in spring color and was only $11.

TTFN
    Cyndie
    [/SIZE]

Love Peignoirs!

Green acres is great, but I also love the old Doris Day movies with the beautiful peignors she wore. It has also taken me many years to aquire these beloved beauties and I now have a closet full that is severely bending my closet rod.

I used to buy just beautiful nylon and chiffon nightgowns, an occasional peignoir set, and a few baby doll nightgowns with panties of course. Now I concentrate on just matching peignoir sets and still am on the lookout for babydoll pjs also. I just can't seem to stop buying even though I have enough to wear a different one each night for a month! I am going to start sorting out the least favorites for resale, but they are sooooo hard to get rid of!

I recently showed my older sister my stock and she said she also loves these style of nighties so I think some will go to her.

It is so wonderful waking up wearing a beautiful nighty, put on your matching robe and hopefully some vintage nylon slippers with some maribou trim and floating around the house in the morning having your coffee and getting breakfast! The big problem is having to take it all off! Most of the women I have known wear boring cotton to bed. YUK! I long to find a woman who also enjoys the pleasure of wearing nylon and chiffon.....

Wink What color?

Shiny
    You didn't say what color it was! I hope it is a pretty pastel?

Crazy Lady
    As with all nightgowns, ...... Remember ........ you need to have the feathers or fur on the bottom hem of the nightgown.

The Reason ..... from the book "MASH" , not the movie ...... you want fur on the bottom of the nightgown to keep your neck warm. ;-)

Dee

I'll be your Huckleberry! Sarah Rabbit's Avatar
    I think the 50's and 60's produced some of the most femenine clothing around especially in the nightware range. I have two classic pieces myself. My favourite I got from E-bay was described as a 'Vintage Bridal Night Gown'. It is totally gorgeous. I save it for when I want to feel ultra femme.

Sarah R.
    Every time I walk down the street, I see every eye on me.
    Every time they look at me, I wonder, who do they see?
    Perfection in disguise,with regimes and alibis.
    The girl in the mirror , isn't the same as the girl in my heart

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I always loved Green Acres ! Lisa amazed me waking up on the show in those nightgowns and full makeup,, false eyelashes and all LOL
    I do have a bunch of episodes taped but not sure my VCR still works ?
    One episode had Ebb asking out BobbyJoe Bradly from the Shady Rest Hotel so Im sure they were just down the tracks on the Cannonball .

Cindy