Thread: Visiting a old familiar place for the first time.

Visiting a old familiar place for the first time.

I'm going through a strange time in my life, a time I am really enjoying and confused by. I recently became a Grandma, well a grandparent. My wife and I have found this occassion to be the basis for re-visiting some places we have not been to since my children were young. Last week we went to a Toys R Us store to shop for the new grand baby. I was suddenly aware of the wonderful toys, etc, that are available for little girls, and became somewhat melancholy over the fact that I had not had the chance to grow up as a girl, to experience all of these feelings, to be Cinderella for Halloween. I had absolutely no interest in seeing all the boy toys or in wishing they had these boy things when I was a youngster. It follows my experience when shopping for clothes these days. I can spend all day shopping with my wife for women's clothing and don't care to spend five minutes shopping for drab.

I suppose I should talk to my analyst about this but I don't have one. I like being like this. Maybe if Rod Serling were still around, he could explain it.

girl next door
    Congratulations grandma
    [SIZE="3"]
    my wish for you is peace
    [/SIZE]

lo·gom·a·chy /loʊˈgɒməki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[loh-gom-uh-kee] –noun, plural -chies.
    1. a dispute about or concerning words.
    2. an argument or debate marked by the reckless or incorrect use of words; meaningless battle of words

Emerging butterfly...
    I know whatcha mean Louise, & it doesn't seem the least bit strange to me. I have a sort of unofficial step-daughter who's a teenager now & usually too busy for me. But while growing up she spent many weekends with me, which I tried to make very fun for her. I often took her shopping for cute, girly clothes, toys, & games. While shopping, dressing her up, & playing with her toys together, I experienced a sort of "vicarious flashback" of myself being in her shoes & enjoying the privilege of being a young girl. She thought I was just being a good father-figure & didn't know I had a lil' extra incentive, tee, hee. It was a precious time for both of us.

BTW, I saw Rod Serling last weekend at a drag show....
    He was wearing the cuuuuutest lil' peach sequined dress with matching pumps.....

Peace, Luv, & Barbie Dolls

Veronica

Slip Lover

Welcome

Welcome to the "Grandma Club", Louise!

Ashley

This little girl now buys herself those things I yearned for but my parents didn't get. Nope I'm not a CD or TS, but there are lots of reasons for not having the ideal childhood, there's no reason not to have a bit of it now. Sure I get teased and the occasion a smart alec remark, but you know I don't care. And neither do my friends. :winking:

I read Veronica's post. She got the added bonus prize. Cool beans on you btw V and you too Louise on the new grandbaby.

dancin

The mind calculates and the spirit yearns but the heart wants what the heart wants. Mine wanted a teddy bear and tea set. The china one with little roses on it.

Congratulations Gramma, how wonderful it must be to be a grandparent. I find myself revisiting places and stores that I frequented when I had a small child, it amazes me how many memories can flood back.
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara