Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fed up, smoking and femme figure

Wants red cocktail dress! nikki_t's Avatar

Fed up, smoking and femme figure

I'll probably stir the pot with this one.

I'm feeling fed up lately. I used to smoke a pack of ciggies a day. Have done so since I was a kid. Last summer, my S.O. was giving me so much gip about it (she'd stopped for 6 years) I decided to use the patches and stop. So, after a few weeks of suffering along with some wonderfully vivid and incredibly sordid dreams brought on by the nicotine patches (they should sell those things for none smokers!), I finally managed to quit and haven't had a ciggie in over a year.

Anyways, all my friends smoke. To add insult to injury, my S.O. just started again. Now it's me that feels like a social lepper. But worse is that I've put on 30 pounds since I stopped. I used to be wonderfully skinny. Now I got this awful belly that I struggle to suck in with waist cinchers or corsets. I feel really fed up - I have lost my femme figure and feel like the odd one out when we get together with friends.

Now I know the tide has turned against smokers. More and more it is becoming socially unacceptable and smokers are frowned upon. Just today I heard in UK news something about implementing a £200 a year "addicts license" just to be able to buy smokes!!

The thing is, I want my femme figure back and smoking did make me feel good. But I know it's bad for me. But then today I stop at Walgreens for something else and pick up a twix and two snickers bars just because I wanted them. Also, I'm drinking a lot more too. I know it would be a shame to start again now but taking up smoking again is beginning to sound like the lesser of two evils.

What does everyone else think?

Think about the money you'll save on not buying smokes that can go towards clothes!

Glad I don't smoke. Tried it when I was a little kid. It made me cough and gag and didn't get it. LOL

£200 a year "addicts license"... why that's ridiculous. Hope they don't put something like that on beer.
    Weeeeeeee

Banned Read only
    Hoestly I think nicotine should be a schedule I drug.

Quote Originally Posted by Ðarissa View Post
    Think about the money you'll save on not buying smokes that can go towards clothes!

Glad I don't smoke. Tried it when I was a little kid. It made me cough and gag and didn't get it. LOL

£200 a year "addicts license"... why that's ridiculous. Hope they don't put something like that on beer.
    That's part of the problem. I'm spending the money on snickers bars and booze instead.

Quote Originally Posted by jaina View Post
    Hoestly I think nicotine should be a schedule I drug.
    Not sure what that is. Do you mean same class as Cocaine and Heroin? I kind of wish cigarettes had never been invented but then I might weight 500 pounds by now.

Quote Originally Posted by nikki_t View Post

I'm feeling fed up lately. I used to smoke a pack of ciggies a day. Have done so since I was a kid. Last summer, my S.O. was giving me so much gip about it (she'd stopped for 6 years) I decided to use the patches and stop. So, after a few weeks of suffering along with some wonderfully vivid and incredibly sordid dreams brought on by the nicotine patches (they should sell those things for none smokers!), I finally managed to quit and haven't had a ciggie in over a year.

Anyways, all my friends smoke. To add insult to injury, my S.O. just started again. Now it's me that feels like a social lepper. But worse is that I've put on 30 pounds since I stopped. I used to be wonderfully skinny. Now I got this awful belly that I struggle to suck in with waist cinchers or corsets. I feel really fed up - I have lost my femme figure and feel like the odd one out when we get together with friends.

Now I know the tide has turned against smokers. More and more it is becoming socially unacceptable and smokers are frowned upon. Just today I heard in UK news something about implementing a £200 a year "addicts license" just to be able to buy smokes!!

The thing is, I want my femme figure back and smoking did make me feel good. But I know it's bad for me. But then today I stop at Walgreens for something else and pick up a twix and two snickers bars just because I wanted them. Also, I'm drinking a lot more too. I know it would be a shame to start again now but taking up smoking again is beginning to sound like the lesser of two evils.

Nikki ~

I gotta say, I love ya! I know for a fact that cigarettes are less expensive in Oregon than in Texas... send me your address and I'll buy you a carton for $32.00 and look at the money you will STILL save for clothes!

Kris
    [SIZE="3"]
    I'm BACK..... I miss you all so much!!
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Nikki ~

I gotta say, I love ya! I know for a fact that cigarettes are less expensive in Oregon than in Texas... send me your address and I'll buy you a carton for $32.00 and look at the money you will STILL save for clothes!

Kris
    heh heh Sounds like you're helping to stir the pot with me Kris.

Since I stopped they put an extra $1 or so on a pack here in Texas. I used to get a carton of Marlboros from Walgreens on the corner for $28 (anyone see the irony in buying smokes from a pharmacist?). Now I think they're about $35 at least. Of course, could always smoke the cheapo ones but they're like smoking rolled up toilet paper (OK don't ask me how I know that!).

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Leila View Post
    I don't think smoking is the answer. Of course, I've never smoked but haven't had a girlish figure in years either.

If you are healthy and not obese, why not be happy with how you are? There are a lot of cute clothes in plus sizes.
    I don't feel any healthier than I did when I smoked. In fact, in some ways I feel worse. I know I shouldn't say that but it's actually true.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was evenly spread. I like bigger girls myself. My S.O. had weight loss surgery a bit back. However, in my case, it's not evenly spread. From the side, I kind of look pregnant.
    Last edited by nikki_t; 10-23-2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Added response to Jennifer

From someone trying to quit - don't do it.

Don't justify it by any means....$5.50 a pack on average times 30 days is $167 by the way I figure (5.56 actually).

Not healthy, hard to quit.

Gawd ya know what's harder to quit than smoking? Estrogen...Gawd help ya if you go HRT - it's HARD to quit...headaches, withdrawel siymptoms...

Smoking is easier, I've cut back and just need to set a day to do it...cold turkey.

I smoke so little that even the SOFTEST patch, 2mg gets me STONEd.....no thanks, can't stand the headache!!

Anyway don't do it..

Take up swimming, it'll work that down for you. my stomach muscles were so tight from swimming......
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    From someone trying to quit - don't do it.

Don't justify it by any means....$5.50 a pack on average times 30 days is $167 by the way I figure (5.56 actually).

Not healthy, hard to quit.

Gawd ya know what's harder to quit than smoking? Estrogen...Gawd help ya if you go HRT - it's HARD to quit...headaches, withdrawel siymptoms...

Smoking is easier, I've cut back and just need to set a day to do it...cold turkey.

I smoke so little that even the SOFTEST patch, 2mg gets me STONEd.....no thanks, can't stand the headache!!

Anyway don't do it..

Take up swimming, it'll work that down for you. my stomach muscles were so tight from swimming......
    Thanks Scottie but I'm also hydrophobic (or is it aquaphobic?) and can't swim (no kidding).

The money isn't the issue. I'm spending way more on booze and food to make up for it. I guess my point is that the extra food and booze are making me feel worse (and may be even doing me more harm - both physically and mentally) than the ciggies ever did.

I appreciate your concern though. BTW, no HRT for me - good luck with your quitting!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Nikki, u can do it

Smoking is more than a bad habit, it's a compulsion! (Like my dressing). If u can get past the withdrawal symptoms, and find something else that gets your spirits raised, besides food and booze, You'll kick it. Later, u can worry about getting your figure back. Think of it as saving your life, first, looking good in your swimmers, second! I feel for u friend!
    RS

myspace.com/robertsherry

My mom died from lung cancer from her smoking, at about age 62. But she did die with her girlish figure intact. Always a tradeoff - I'd choose life and find another way - maybe eat less?

Inhalingly yours,

Paula

Oh, sweetie, I hope you can come to grips with this! You know my position; but I'm a non smoker so I can't give you first hand advice. Two questions:

How much did you smoke?

Did you smoke in drab or only en femme?

If you do take it up again, please don't smoke those nasty, cork filtered "Cowboy Killers"!

Smoke something long, slender and girlie, OK?

XOXOXOX

Tina
    [SIZE="2"]Tina D'Orsay
    Central Iowa

"Silence is golden,duct tape is silver."
    "You can never be to rich, to thin or wear too high heels."[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Smoking is more than a bad habit, it's a compulsion! (Like my dressing). If u can get past the withdrawal symptoms, and find something else that gets your spirits raised, besides food and booze, You'll kick it. Later, u can worry about getting your figure back. Think of it as saving your life, first, looking good in your swimmers, second! I feel for u friend!
    RS
    Thanks! Coming from a doc I would've expected more of a lecture. Not sure what else can get my spirits up. The next season of Lost doesn't come out for another couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Wilder View Post
    My mom died from lung cancer from her smoking, at about age 62. But she did die with her girlish figure intact. Always a tradeoff - I'd choose life and find another way - maybe eat less?
    Sorry to hear about your mom Paula. You're right, it is a tradeoff. I could eat less but may drink more. Or vice versa. I should add that my S.O. had her weight loss surgery because otherwise she would've likely died before she hit 35. In other words, the eating would've likely killed her long before ciggies ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by tinadcd View Post
    Oh, sweetie, I hope you can come to grips with this! You know my position; but I'm a non smoker so I can't give you first hand advice. Two questions:

How much did you smoke?

Did you smoke in drab or only en femme?

If you do take it up again, please don't smoke those nasty, cork filtered "Cowboy Killers"!

Smoke something long, slender and girlie, OK?

XOXOXOX

Tina
    Thanks Tina, I smoked all the time and about 20 a day. Done so since I was a kid. More so in social settings with friends, etc. like at a bar/pub/restaurant. Or when under stress. I've had a lot of stress lately and that's making me feel worse about all this.

Long slender and girlie huh? If I start again Tina I'll let you hold the ashtray for me OK

~~Post Modern Romantic~~ KewTnCurvy GG's Avatar
    I just quit a little over 3 months ago, after having relapsed (after a 20 year plus stretch of being a non-smoker).

So, I have this to say, if you want to die young, a horrible, slow death (from lung disease) and look older than your non-smoking peers then return to smoking. Truly, I love to smoke but I've watched people die from lung disease and it is not worth it.

Kew's-2
    ~Dear Dorothy,
    Hate Oz, took the shoes, find your own way home.
    Toto~

Quote Originally Posted by KewTnCurvy GG View Post
    I just quit a little over 3 months ago, after having relapsed (after a 20 year plus stretch of being a non-smoker).

So, I have this to say, if you want to die young, a horrible, slow death (from lung disease) and look older than your non-smoking peers then return to smoking. Truly, I love to smoke but I've watched people die from lung disease and it is not worth it.

Kew's-2
    Wow! You had started again after 20 years??!!

Silver Member
    If you spent just a day with a patient with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) you would never touch a smoke again. When you can't breathe, nothing else matters. The damage that smoking causes is enormous. Unfortunately nicotine is the MOST adictive substance comonly available. I agree, they should be on the schedule II or III list. People need to realize that nicotine is a VERY dangerous drug and needs to be treated as such.

Stephenie

..................don't

You forgot the how much smoking sucks part. I still do.

Platinum Member
    no advice except, remember why you gave up in the first place, dont go back to it! if you can give up smoking you're strong enough to lose the weight and maintain it, pick up a carrot stick instead of chocolate

I must say I really appreciate the responses I'm getting to this thread. I know how bad smoking is for me or anyone else but so can eating too much or drinking alcohol. The point is I seem to be substituting one bad thing for another and I now look like an alarm clock instead of an hour glass.

BTW, don't like carrots.

First of all, if you want to get the girlish figure back, cut out the twix and snickers bars
    Secondly, take a long hard look at *what* you're eating. Are you eating a lot of junk food and refined sugar? If so, cut it out, and eat lots of meat, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and berries, like goddess intended us to eat and like other primates eat in nature. If you do that I guarantee you'll get the girlish figure back *and* be able to keep off the cigarettes

Nikki, you can do it

You asked and I know I'll take some heat for this...
    Nikki, please resist the temtation to start again; you have come such along way already! Nobody wants to talk about the health risks; we all know it isn't healthy. I work for the Oncology department in a large hospital and it is truly tragic to see the pain and suffering that occurs to patients (and their families), not only physical, but emotional and financial. You may very well go the rest of your life and not have any health issues. However, know this, your risk is somewhere around 20 times > then that of a non-smoker for expiration due to lung cancer. Almost daily we see patients with PEG tubes and Trach tubes (not all smoking related cancers) and it just breaks my heart. Certainly not ment to 'rip' on smokers, but this is the hard reality of working in this environment... I hope you NEVER find yourself in this situation; smoker or not.
    I hope you make the decision that works best for you in the long term. Just think, if you can refrain, perhaps you can convince the SO to join you (since it sounds like they were there once before).
    Best wishes.
    - Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    If you spent just a day with a patient with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) you would never touch a smoke again. When you can't breathe, nothing else matters. The damage that smoking causes is enormous. Unfortunately nicotine is the MOST adictive substance comonly available. I agree, they should be on the schedule II or III list. People need to realize that nicotine is a VERY dangerous drug and needs to be treated as such.
    I concur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I rarely eat junk food as in burgers, etc. I've had McDonalds maybe 3 times in as many years (after we watched Super Size Me). And it's not like I'm stuffing snickers bars into my gob like they're going out of fashion. I think I'm just generally eating more. I eat a lot of steak, TexMex and Indian food - although I did have buffalo wild wings tonight (a rare treat due to my S.O. being sick - she hates the place!).

I know I shouldn't start again. I've been contemplating this for a good couple of weeks now - it was seeing the news story about the £200 license to buy ciggies that prompted me to post this thread. I know the health risks are bad. But I smoked for some 25+ years... hasn't the damage already been done? Am I now just adding a pickled liver and big belly into the mix?

don't put in mouth

Eating and smoking both seem to have the same way of satisfying something in us. I know a couple who both quit and both proceded to blow up like the philbury dough boy. Are they better off smoking or obece. I don't know.
    They would be better off not smoking and at a healthy weight for sure. Try to find something to do that satisfies without putting something in youre mouth.

I quit smoking over twenty years ago. It takes years for all the cravings to go away, but after a few months it gets easier and easier. Eleven years ago I quit drinking. Now if I can only lose all the weight I've gained.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Most have mentioned the health issues but also think about this, if you start again your hair, clothing and breath will smell. As for the weight try to eat healthy that doesn't mean you can't have a drink or a choccie bar just do it in moderation.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

hi Nikki,
    dont do it, dont go back,stay off them,I had the same problem and still have after eleven years smoke free but I get by.
    look at the money you will save.