Thread: Do songs trigger early CD memories?

Do songs trigger early CD memories?

Recently I've had the luxury of listening to XM radio. They have stations dedicated to various decades, 60's, 70's, etc. I've heard songs lately that I haven't heard in years. Mostly from my teen years.

Some of them really trigger memories of my early days of crossdressing. It's like I can remember exactly where I was and what I was wearing.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    Its more than just CDing...songs bring back memories of just about anything that I associate the song with. There are specific songs that I associate with CDing though...
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

Yes. For me it's pretty much anything from Diana Ross, either solo or when she was with the Supremes. I was listening to that stuff at the time when I first started dressing up and going out. I would have to say that 70's disco music in general really brings me back to that time and place. I love it!

Also there are a few early to mid-nineties albums by Saxon that bring back memories too. They kind of remind me of the loneliness that I felt as I isolated myself to dress up as a woman.
    Last edited by Tasha T; 10-24-2007 at 08:22 PM.

now that you mention it, it is music with women in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trisha CD View Post
    Yes. For me it's pretty much anything from Diana Ross, either solo or when she was with the Temptations.
    Also there are a few early to mid-nineties albums by Saxon that bring back memories too. They kind of remind me of the loneliness that I felt as I isolated myself to dress up as a woman.
    My favorite - I'm coming out - I want the world to know, going ot let it show LOL

For me it's an old 80's tune called "What about me" from Moving Pictures.

But music always has a place with me. I can tell you what I was doing in life when a song came out, be it in college with Mike and the Mechanics or in the military with U2 and the Joshua tree....
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

When i was younger i used to dress up and dance in front of the mirror singing into my "hairbrush" to Bonnie Tyler, Madonna and other 70s/80s female singers...I still do sometimes

Big Mouth Strikes Again by the Smiths comes to mind and the album the Queen is Dead in general.

Had big lovesickness and my little secret partly caused it.

And if a double-decker bus crashes into us.
    To die by your side is such a heavenly way to die
    .... tralalala

Great album to feel sorry for oneself

-I know it's over
    -Never Had No One Ever
    -Cemetry Gates
    -The Boy with the Thorn in His Side

with some true aspects

-There Is a Light That Never Goes Out

and with some humorous aspects

-Some Girls are Bigger Than Others
    -Vicar in a Tutu
    Last edited by Marla S; 10-24-2007 at 07:07 PM.

A few songs bring back memories but not of crossdressing. I do think of crossdressing when I listen to "Lola" and "Take a Walk on the Wild Side."
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Trisha CD View Post
    Yes. For me it's pretty much anything from Diana Ross, either solo or when she was with the Temptations. I was listening to that stuff at the time when I first started dressing up and going out. I would have to say that 70's disco music in general really brings me back to that time and place. I love it!

Trisha, I don't ever remember any female singing with the Temptations. Diana Ross was with the Supremes.

Jodi

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trannie T View Post
    A few songs bring back memories but not of crossdressing. I do think of crossdressing when I listen to "Lola" and "Take a Walk on the Wild Side."
    Yeah. And anything by the group, AC CD.
    RS

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Or, several numbers from Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    RS

A couple of songs do, mostly by Judy Collins . . . but as has been mentioned by others in the group, songs bring back memories about my whle life. When I first heard a song, what I was doing then, who I was with, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Trisha, I don't ever remember any female singing with the Temptations. Diana Ross was with the Supremes.

Jodi
    You are correct. I edited my post accordingly. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Musical Triggers

Katie,

Absolutely! In my case, I relate music to most of the significant events of my life, including several CD thresholds. My particular list of musical artist triggers includes:

o Several Ballets
    o Petula Clark
    o The Beatles
    o Joni Mitchell
    o The Kinks [Lola]
    o and the list goes on...

Oh, honey, this girl has a soundtrackack for every mood. I've made CDs that provide some inspiration in preparing a femme persona. When I'm in my "tough chick turned sexy secretary " mode, I put on a compilation of great Girl Groups like the Ronnettes, The Crystals, The Angels, and most especially, the queens of teen trauma The Shangi Las.
    When I dress and feel more sophisticated, it's more Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne and those swinging girl singers like Doris Day and Rosemary Clooney.
    I have a standards tape featuring Carly Simon, Barbra, Linda Ronstadt and other conemporaries, and listen incessantly to Amy Winehouse (there's a Halloween costume winner--Amy is already a cariacture).
    I have a Motown Girls mix, and one of the '80s.
    I've doen a Crystals song (He's A Rebel) at karaoke, but that's another story for another time, sweeties!

Smooches,

In the paved over air-conditioned desert.

Aerosmith

Dude looks like a lady... I remember the video of a rock star with women to spare attracted to him while crossdressing.I was jealous on the one hand, aware on the other that it was in a way making fun of dressing in drag...
    Vincent Vega: Well, I confess that I wait to talk, but I am trying to learn to listen. (paraphrased)

Barbara's Blog

Memory floggers.........Yeah....
    Summer of '67: The Doors (Light My Fire)
    Bobbie Gentry (Ode to Billie Joe)
    The Association (Windy)
    Scott McKenzie (If you're goin' to S.F)
    The list goes on and on......The soundtrack of my youth is the music of the '60's.
    Gretchen.

You bet... Any song from the Rocky Horor Picture Show.

I remember seeing that for the first time! Wow! I was just a lad. I had no idea that it would have a man dressed in my fantasy clothes. The first time I saw Tim Curry in lingerie I had an immediate reaction! I also realized that if he could get away with it on screen I could dress like that at home or wherever. I could not wait for Halloween! Unfortunately by the time Halloween came around I chickened out on that costume. Love to be able to do that over!

Awesome Question

Ohhh yea

"Piece of my Heart" - Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company. I'd turn the lights off, shine a spotlight...and belt out those blues (air mike??)- say what, 35-40 years ago??

others...

Son of a Preacherman...How about Uma in Pulp Fiction playing that on the reel to reel while putting on her make up..?

Bonnie Raitt - Early Stuff...didn't she cover "Send me an Angel that Flies from Montgomery"?

Alice Cooper - "Pretties for You"...Remember the panties as the inner sleeve for "Schools Out"....(for those who remember vinyl)

and...of course, New York Dolls, Velvet Underground, Bowie (Ch,Ch,Changes...)

NOW...

Diana Krall - how sexy is she????...Heck, she made me go back and try to learn how to play piano - wow!!!

Madeleine Peyroux - "If you think that time will change you, well, honey, don't wait too long..." from "Careless Love". Shades of Billie Holiday, yea!!

I won't even get started about Peggy Lee...

OK, I'll stop....

Errrr... The most striking is me old mate Martin Degville's group Sigue Sigue Sputnik... It was more than a simple song... it was a whole trans... something. Still a big part of my life.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by WendyCD View Post
    Ohhh yea

Son of a Preacherman...How about Uma in Pulp Fiction playing that on the reel to reel while putting on her make up..?
    OK, I'll stop....
    I get mjor chills from that song. Would love to have a big blonde bouffant,
    a tight pastel gown and rered nails and sing that song for a karaoke night. I'd die happy on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
    Memory floggers.........Yeah....
    Summer of '67: The Doors (Light My Fire)
    Bobbie Gentry (Ode to Billie Joe)
    The Association (Windy)
    Scott McKenzie (If you're goin' to S.F)
    The list goes on and on......The soundtrack of my youth is the music of the '60's.
    Gretchen.
    No Zager and Evans in there?

A bit before my time but I love that song In The Year 2525

Gordon Lightfoot - "Sundown" and Carly Simon "You're So vain" - first songs I can relate, I was wearing my sisters clothes at age 6 or so, and playing with her dolls and little bake oven she had...
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

Don't forget Rebel, Rebel!

yes the song I am the happiest girl in the USA, I use to sing to the radio when I was growing up wearing dresses when that song was playing, I would love to here that song again.