Thread: Today is TG Day of Awareness.

Today is TG Day of Awareness.

PLEASE take a few minutes to reflect on those who have suffered violence and lost their lives for no other reason than being transgendered.

Kimberley
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

Thanks Kimberley. There was a news story this week stating that hate crimes are up especially against gays which I suppose would include us. Spend a moment remembering those we have lost and please e careful when you go out.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

painfully slow seamstress mudanjel's Avatar

Smile Hi Kimmie

Thank you for mentioning that

I saw a show called "Cold Case" on Sunday the 18th; the (fictional) plot revolved around solving the murder of a young woman who was transgendered, the time frame being in the '50's.

It was heartbreaking. I actually shed a few tears over it and I usually only cry when the dog dies.

The young woman, a high school student, was Transmasculine and was naturally teased, bullied, ridiculed, kicked out of schools, etc since she insisted on dressing as a boy, insisted on being herself and most importantly insisted that nothing was wrong with her.

She was eventually put into an institution and diagnosed with a Gender Identity Disorder. The treatment of choice (besides being made to put on a dress, lipstick, taught how a young lady conducts herself, etc) was electro-shock therapy.

That's what broke my heart; while I haven't actually researched it, I bet you anything that electro-shock therapy was used in real life on TGs in the '50's for a "treatment" since that was a very common practice then for just about anything that was called a mental illness ( along with lobotomies).

I've been peeved lately about how parts of our society degrade TGs, but after I saw that show, I'm just grateful that we have made some progress.
    [SIZE=3]~~Lilly~~[SIZE=2]between TBN and Metallica~~[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]**I'm supposed to be sewing** [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]~~check out my Plus-Girl Swishy Taffeta Dress in the classifieds! (24W)~~ [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]*PM me if you need a chronic pain buddy* [/SIZE]

Yes Lily. EST was commonly used right into the late 60's but Harry Benjamin had a lot of influence on changing the path of "treatment". Behavioural modification was also commonly used and just as unsuccessfully of course. His research and success eventually led to the APA changing its thinking about LGBT. Of course we know the results today of his influence.

There have been a few reports of trans people being lobotomized but it is difficult to determine whether it was for being trans or violent behaviour.

What is particularly sad is that Behaviour Modification is still being used by some religious fringe groups on the LGBT community.

Kimberley
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...