Thread: Fashion Faux Pas

Island Girl

Fashion Faux Pas

This could help those w/limited memory in the heads (like me), and those that just don't know.

It was so politely pointed out to me that one should not wear two prints together, as in a print skirt and print blouse.

The blunder can be seen here:
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...achmentid=4814

or in post 941 of the pictures thread.

What are some others?

Dana

Tristen Cox
    I'm going to be honest for what it's worth. I saw this picture of you before and I think it was just fine. Leisurely fashionable infact IMHO. That and i hate to see a good thread not get responses. So bumpity bump

The one nice thing about fashion is that the "rules" can ALWAYS be broken! I think the look is quite nice, Dana.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

I agree, for things to clash they need to be far different. In this case the colors go good with each other so it is safe.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

I have to agree. The combination does look very nice.
    Hugs,

Teddie

colours

What about colours? Red and green shouldn't be seen...(unless they look nice and you feel good! Ha!)

Do shades of the same colour work? Dark red, purply red etc?

Blue eyeshadow is off the list. Even I know that much.

But are there any obvious rules for people like me with no fashion sense? White court shoes and black stockings are a no no..etc.

Ther was a time that the rules of fasion were much more rigid. The 60's sort of broke this. Clashing colors, clothes that do not fit, and cheap wigs are the bane of the mavens.

The general rule in the fashion pages of women's magazines is not to match differing prints, clashing colours however seem to be on the up.
    I have to agree with the other girls though, I think the skirt and top go fine.

Brenda XXX
    Brenda Elizabeth
    A Mayflower lass

Smile

I think the 2 prints look ok on you, but may not work on some others. Your complexoin also comes into play there and so does the hair color. You seem to have a good combination there!

I have little color coordination sense, so I tend to stick with some of the old standbys, most of my tops are white or black, and most of my pants or skirts are either blue jean or black.
    I finally figured it out! - I'm a Lesbian Trapped in a Mans Body!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/sexycindycd

my nic says it all obsessedwithpantyhose's Avatar

fashion faux pas

girls dress anyway they want so who cares how we should or shouldnt dress, the younger generation walk around in the pajamas to the malls, why be a slave to the fashion trends it only cost u money and they change every five minutes...

I think when they(whoever the heck Thye are) say not to wear two different prints,they are refering to busy prints.A good combination to try might be a monochrome one;perhaps a red skirt,pink top,pale pink stockings and a dark pink shoes. I used these color combinations in some gardens I designed and it works quite well.

Love and Hugs,
    Priscilla
    Love and Hugs,
    Priscilla

I'm really not great in the "mixing and matching" arena... I tend to buy outfits that I see in catalogs or online. I also tend to go the safe route... two solid colors or a solid and a print. In male mode... it's jeans and whatever shirt is clean! Women's fashion is so complex and, believe me, other women DO check out what you are wearing.

Having said that, and believing that I am partially female , I have made a few observations about the "look" in the photo.

Basically, it's that you have mixed too many styles. Your hair style has a conservative, business look to it. Your makeup is good for a "day" look but the photo was taken at night. The top is casual. The skirt is very tailored and a bit dressy. Your heels are patent leather (or very shiny) and on the dressy side. Mixing prints does get complicated but the mix of styles is more obvious to me. If you changed the top to a solid, slightly darker color than the skirt... and did a stronger (more defined) "evening" makeup... the "look" would be more of a complete, single style.

I have mentioned this before, in other threads, that because our shoulders tend to be much larger than our hips... solid, darker colors on top help to give the illusion of being smaller. Lighter, bolder colors and prints, work better to add girth and fullness to the hip area and helps to make you look shorter (breaks up the vertical line).

Another suggestion is to avoid horizontal patterns in tops and blouses. Again, it's about "illusion". Vertical and diagonal patterns, v-necks and open, button-up blouses help a lot to diminish the width.

Anyway... I have spent the last 10 years trying to get this "fashion" thing right and countless hours of research. But, ya know... my favorite outfit is still black slacks and a loose, rose-print, silky top. So much for all that I said above!!!
    [size=3]---Jen--------- [/size][size=1]*[/size]

Island Girl

The Queen Steps Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jen_TGCD
    I'm really not great in the "mixing and matching" arena...

I have mentioned this before, in other threads, that because our shoulders tend to be much larger than our hips... solid, darker colors on top help to give the illusion of being smaller. Lighter, bolder colors and prints, work better to add girth and fullness to the hip area and helps to make you look shorter (breaks up the vertical line).

Another suggestion is to avoid horizontal patterns in tops and blouses. Again, it's about "illusion". Vertical and diagonal patterns, v-necks and open, button-up blouses help a lot to diminish the width.
    Thank you all for the critiques and comments. I knew that the look was far from polished. I agree it looks "ok", but Ms Jen here has the info I was looking for. Thanks dear!

Evening makeup??? I just learned beard cover (lol). Nice to have a high bar though

Thanks,
    Dana