Thread: High Schooler Suspended for Wearing Makeup

Youngirl at Heart

Angry High Schooler Suspended for Wearing Makeup

I heard on the news last night about a high school boy in San Bernardino (Southern California) who was suspended from school for wearing makeup. Judging from his appearance and his own comments, this is not a crossdressing individual. But the case does have definite implications for crossdressers.

For him, it's an issue of cultural/religious expression, but he makes the point that if girls are allowed to wear makeup to school, boys should also be allowed to do so. I couldn't agree more!

Anyway, here's a link to story:

http://www.theksbwchannel.com/education/4378323/detail.html

The web page includes a survey asking whether you think boys should be allowed to wear cosmetics to school, so be sure to check it out.

I heard this same story reported on the radio this morning, but no mention was made of the cultural/religious aspects. It was made to appear that this was simply a case of a boy wearing makeup to school. Which made it appear as though the story was about a crossdresser.

Now, here's what really made my blood boil. In response to the story, one of the radio hosts said that back in his day,they knew how to handle boys like that. He then proceeded to make noises that sounded like someone was being punched in the stomach, over and over again.

I couldn't believe my ears! On the radio, they were making light of someone being beaten up for wearing makeup. Obviously, I didn't find this amusing at all. I mean, even IF it was wrong for a boy to wear makeup (and it certainly isn't wrong!), it's infinitely more wrong for other boys to physically attack a boy who does wear cosmetics (or wears girls' clothing, etc.). In fact, it's wrong even to incite others to do so. And it seems to me that this radio host (actually, it was the traffic guy) was inciting violence against CD/TG/TS individuals. Shameful!

I am so mad! Livid, in fact. One thing's for certain: the KSFO morning show has lost a listener forever!
    Sidney -- Youngirl at Heart

"I did not have three thousand pairs of shoes. I had one thousand sixty." --Imelda Marcos

"Real men don't need to define what a 'real man' is." --Sidney

People have to make a joke out of everything. It's unfortunate that entertainers get more laughs out of putting people down than anything. I saw this story, too, and it angered me as well.

On the other side, I saw the religious aspect of the story, and didn't agree with it wholly. I have a lot of friends that are Wiccan, and used to be myself. No where in my experience was wearing makeup of any ritual signifigance; most of the so-called pagan teens that were also goths were doing it b/c they thought it made them cool. But, just because it's outside my experience doesn't mean that it's not really part of his religion. It just sounds fishy to me.

The one burning question I had about the whole story I saw (off of fark.com) was this: Why, if the boy has been doing this for around a year, did they just decide to do this now?

Brandy Marie Devereaux
    Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That's what little girls are made of; the hell with sugar and spice.

Island Girl

Say No to Violence

Sidney Girl,

Sorry to hear that you are upset. I would be too. Would you join me in writing a letter to the station owner that violence, though implied, will not be tolerated? The DJ is a caveman.

Dana

Jocie

Sack him

Yes I agree with Aloha_Dana this attitude should be stamped out. I am sure the presenter has broken at least one law by broadcasting his fascist beliefs.

I'll sign it!!!!!

I couldn't agree more I think wearing make-up to school for a boy in this day and age should be allowed.I never had a problem when they wore unisex fashions when I went to school why not make-up if they want? Bit discriminating if you ask me?
    HUGS 2 U DOWN UNDER
    TIMME ARIZONA

StephanieCD
    I was also once a practicing Wiccan and currently know several, as I have all my life. Though I've known a couple who wore makeup for personal reasons not once was it a part of any particular rite. However, part of the nature of the belief is that each person and/or coven be allowed to express themselves in their own ways and, perhaps, for the group his mother was in makeup was a part of their rites and practices. It's possible - some practice only nude, while others where robes and some just where whatever they happen to have on - it's truly a what's on the inside situation.

I believe I've posted about this before... I once (or thrice) wore a long, indian skirt to the public school I attended for a while - just to make the point. I was told not to wear it by some - a few days later one kid wore a kilt, claiming Scottish roots. They allowed him to wear the kilt. So I came right back in with the skirt - when questioned I said "my mother is a woman so I'm 50% female - it's in my blood"

I was a smart ass, not liked by all.

I think this kid should be allowed to express himself but he's doing so at his own risk - I did get the *&%^ kicked out of me more than once

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieCD
    So I came right back in with the skirt - when questioned I said "my mother is a woman so I'm 50% female - it's in my blood"

LOL! Thanks Steph, I've been searching for the reason for my Cding all my life. Now it's all so clear.

~Sigrid

my nic says it all obsessedwithpantyhose's Avatar

high school

i heard in the story he was told it was a distraction to others because of how much make up he was wearing,,but if girls can wear make up why cant the boys? THIS IS THE 21 FIRST CENTURY FOR GODS SAKES!!!!!!!!! when r we as a country gona drop these caveman ways of thinking????????????
    as far as the radio station goes u can go to their website and drop them a NASTY letter telling then how they have lost at least one listener and ur gona tell all ur friends to change the channel.. power of droped rating does more harm than anything else when it comes to TV and Radio..

I'm also mad at that DJ, and the school who suspended him. Why can't boys wear make-up, honestly? They're not breaking laws or anything.
    Princess by day, Sheika by night.

In my school days(we are definately looking way back since I am Older than dirt) .Schools were more concerned about my smoking or wearing blue jeans to school.With the modern styles of dress and concerne about students bringing weapons into schools,I am surprised that any school would be concerned with a student wearing make up to school.This is such a trivial thing,who does it hurt?Yes it can make that student a target for other super macho students,yet it did not deter the student from wearing make up.

Love and Hugs,
    Priscilla
    Love and Hugs,
    Priscilla

Lipstick On Your Collar

The radio announcer's name should be given on this site. We need to know what kind of vermin has a license to behave in such a distasteful way. Radio has really lost its appeal over the past few years, particularly since right wing radio talk show hosts have been given a green light to spread hatred. I find it alarming that his behavior is tolerated by the station's management. However, I also know that it is all about ratings, so we have to understand that his listeners approve. On the other hand, when the governor is Arnie the Groper, what can you expect?

As for the make-up in schools........I see makeup on teen boys all of the time. The goths wear it, the visi-goths wear it, and of course, the Hurdy-Gurdy men wear it. I'm rather surprised that it was an issue, particularly in California. Aren't all Californians gay? I thought I read that somewhere. It must be true.

Funny thing is that girls were mens shirts and pants a lot. But you do not see them getting made fun of or suspended. Hmmmm amazing........
    Hugs.

TiffanySlave
    A sweet T-Girl
    AIM: TiffanySlaveGirl
    YAHOO: TiffanySlave2

StephanieCD
    They do make men's makeup lines these days. They are, naturally, marketed mainly to homosexual upper class but it's still out there.

My father and most of his buddies were all fighters; on the battlefield, in the ring, on the street, in the bar - didn't matter. They were all former military and they all had scars across their noses, their eyebrows, their lips, etc. One had part of his ear bitten off and was damn proud of that! "Yeah, that was one hell of a night!"

These guys used to brawl all the time, but when it was over and the cops, when they came, came in to break them all up it was never "you're under arrest," it was always, "who's paying the damages."

These guys were tough guys; genuine tough guys; genuine bad-asses, if you will. They feard nothing and no one. Their "kill list" during their military service was significant. My father's buddies once told me he killed anything that moved, so they all learned to stay behind him whenever possible.

I was with them one night, in a bar, as a young child; learning the ropes from dad. There was a gay man, though I didn't understand this at the time, sitting in the bar. My father and the rest of them picked on this guy terribly; making little kissing sounds with their lips, telling him how cute he was, inviting him over to sit on their laps until eventually the guy got up and left but you know what? They never laid a hand on this guy and never had any intention of doing so. Learning more of my father and his friends over the coming years I learned that they had sort of a code of ethics among them; they would not harm anything or anyone that could not appropriately defend itself and I have adopted this same phylosophy in my life. Therefore, my father, his friends, and myself do not hunt, do not strike women, do not harm children, do not beat or harm animals, and etc. All of them and myself, as a result of our attitudes toward war and violence, have grown to control our anger to a point that we are all often refered to as "even;" never getting too excited about anything; never really experiencing that adrenalin rush that so many refer to.

Here's the thing, though; there are few outlets for humans beings in society today; no real way for one to test their skills without rules and without fear of legalities. As a result, people tend to test their skills in darkness or all at once in a realm of violence without regard for consiquence. A couple of years ago my girlfriends daughter was arrested for getting into basically a hair pulling incident with a friend of hers at a nightclub; give me a break - arrested? Come on! It cost her close to $3,000.00 to resolve her leagal issues.

Gone are the days of bravery. America has essentially raised a nation of pussy's. Gone are the days when a man had the courage to go say hi to his new neighbor, to help an innocent person defend themselves on the street, to tell a strange highschool boy he looks like crap the way he's dressed. Tolerance is acceptance and it always has been; you tolerate something, you accept it or at the very least, it becomes accepted. The other night, I reached for my gun - my girlfriend reached for the phone to call 911; I told her to put it down. I didn't run those guys off in the woods the other night, I simply let them know I knew they were there and told them basically to leave me and my stuff alone and we'll all get along just fine. Again, it was yes sir.

Today, in America, statistics indicate that most men aren't even leaving home until they're in their 30's. Most men in America today have never been in a fight and for the "time out" crowd, never even been struck in the face. Their parents are quick to claim rights and freedoms each time their son or daughter does something really strange instead of just telling them to knock it off. From the moment a child is born we protect them, we tell them not to talk to strangers, we hold their hands. When they enter school they are told that if they have a problem, they shouldn't try to handle it themselves, but should tell the teacher, principle, or guidence counselor. When they enter the workplace they are told that the bosses door is always open if they ever have a problem. And from early on, they are told to dial 911 if they have a problem. No one ever teaches these kids how to handle their own problems without having to go to someone else first. What we have wound up with is as I said, is a nation of pussy's; a nation of people who cannot talk to one another and who cannot handle their own problems; a nation of backstabbers, people running around behind your back trying to "deal" with you or with your ways. From this fear of others rises a nation of liars; people who deny the things they do or have done to the point it's utterly pathetic. The answer to the question, "who shaved in the office sink and didn't clean the hair out" was simply, no one shaved in the office sink - don't even have the balls to admit to this simple oversight!

I would never advocate beating a young man for wearing makeup for whatever reason. As I said, real tough guys, like my father and his friends, would never do such a thing. Therefore, one can only conclude that this radio personality is neither a tough guy nor even a brave man, but rather another pathetic example of what America has produced in recent years...

Pixie Hollow's Vixen Katie Ashe's Avatar

The reason on the news: "..was his make-up was to distracting..." Heck Girls wearing Mini skirts I find are more distracting. There goes that double standard thing again, I just finished writing about in another thread. Oh hell, can't we all just get along.

Katie

http://www.mediate.com/articles/noll9.cfm
    Last edited by Katie Ashe; 04-15-2005 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Add Web Site

I saw this boy on the news this morning. He is not suspened as of today. All they ask of him is to remove the black trenchcoat, to which he complied. He said he wanted to send a message that it is ok for boys to wear makeup. Good for him! He also believes he is expressing his Celtic roots and has no desire to offend anyone, Once again, good for him! I wish everyone were as in touch with themselves as he seems to be.

Children should be taught how to handle their problems without running to Mommy because the big bad teacher sent them to the Principle. My kids know that if they get sent to the Dean, they will hear it from me as well. Our schools are not a substitute for parenting!

I saw the young man in question on the news yesterday. I will have to say in my own humble opinion, he did look distracting. Hair was reds, lips black and red makeup streaked on his eyes/face and cheecks. More power to him for being comfortable enough with himself for wearing it. In today's society it still takes bravery to stand out in a crowd.

I don't know about the tolerance thing. I am pretty open minded but draw the line at tolerating things that drag down society as a whole.
    Morals are being set aside in favor of making money and fame for oneself.
    I would rather be poorer than dirt with the ability to sleep at night, than rich and morally bankrupt.

oops, jumped on my soapbox here! Please forgive the slight of going off topic.
    I tend to get riled up sometimes
    Last edited by letsdance GG; 04-15-2005 at 10:59 AM. Reason: update on the information I had at time of original posting
    Keep an open mind....but not so open your brain falls out
    Robert Low

Vallari (Goddess) ;)
    I couldn't agree more!! America where did your balls go?? I think most people nowadays just need to have the sh#t beat out of them once and then they'll be set straight - for a few years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrah
    My father and most of his buddies were all fighters; on the battlefield, in the ring, on the street, in the bar - didn't matter. They were all former military and they all had scars across their noses, their eyebrows, their lips, etc. One had part of his ear bitten off and was damn proud of that! "Yeah, that was one hell of a night!"

These guys used to brawl all the time, but when it was over and the cops, when they came, came in to break them all up it was never "you're under arrest," it was always, "who's paying the damages."

These guys were tough guys; genuine tough guys; genuine bad-asses, if you will. They feard nothing and no one. Their "kill list" during their military service was significant. My father's buddies once told me he killed anything that moved, so they all learned to stay behind him whenever possible.

I was with them one night, in a bar, as a young child; learning the ropes from dad. There was a gay man, though I didn't understand this at the time, sitting in the bar. My father and the rest of them picked on this guy terribly; making little kissing sounds with their lips, telling him how cute he was, inviting him over to sit on their laps until eventually the guy got up and left but you know what? They never laid a hand on this guy and never had any intention of doing so. Learning more of my father and his friends over the coming years I learned that they had sort of a code of ethics among them; they would not harm anything or anyone that could not appropriately defend itself and I have adopted this same phylosophy in my life. Therefore, my father, his friends, and myself do not hunt, do not strike women, do not harm children, do not beat or harm animals, and etc. All of them and myself, as a result of our attitudes toward war and violence, have grown to control our anger to a point that we are all often refered to as "even;" never getting too excited about anything; never really experiencing that adrenalin rush that so many refer to.

Here's the thing, though; there are few outlets for humans beings in society today; no real way for one to test their skills without rules and without fear of legalities. As a result, people tend to test their skills in darkness or all at once in a realm of violence without regard for consiquence. A couple of years ago my girlfriends daughter was arrested for getting into basically a hair pulling incident with a friend of hers at a nightclub; give me a break - arrested? Come on! It cost her close to $3,000.00 to resolve her leagal issues.

Gone are the days of bravery. America has essentially raised a nation of pussy's. Gone are the days when a man had the courage to go say hi to his new neighbor, to help an innocent person defend themselves on the street, to tell a strange highschool boy he looks like crap the way he's dressed. Tolerance is acceptance and it always has been; you tolerate something, you accept it or at the very least, it becomes accepted. The other night, I reached for my gun - my girlfriend reached for the phone to call 911; I told her to put it down. I didn't run those guys off in the woods the other night, I simply let them know I knew they were there and told them basically to leave me and my stuff alone and we'll all get along just fine. Again, it was yes sir.

Today, in America, statistics indicate that most men aren't even leaving home until they're in their 30's. Most men in America today have never been in a fight and for the "time out" crowd, never even been struck in the face. Their parents are quick to claim rights and freedoms each time their son or daughter does something really strange instead of just telling them to knock it off. From the moment a child is born we protect them, we tell them not to talk to strangers, we hold their hands. When they enter school they are told that if they have a problem, they shouldn't try to handle it themselves, but should tell the teacher, principle, or guidence counselor. When they enter the workplace they are told that the bosses door is always open if they ever have a problem. And from early on, they are told to dial 911 if they have a problem. No one ever teaches these kids how to handle their own problems without having to go to someone else first. What we have wound up with is as I said, is a nation of pussy's; a nation of people who cannot talk to one another and who cannot handle their own problems; a nation of backstabbers, people running around behind your back trying to "deal" with you or with your ways. From this fear of others rises a nation of liars; people who deny the things they do or have done to the point it's utterly pathetic. The answer to the question, "who shaved in the office sink and didn't clean the hair out" was simply, no one shaved in the office sink - don't even have the balls to admit to this simple oversight!

I would never advocate beating a young man for wearing makeup for whatever reason. As I said, real tough guys, like my father and his friends, would never do such a thing. Therefore, one can only conclude that this radio personality is neither a tough guy nor even a brave man, but rather another pathetic example of what America has produced in recent years...

Youngirl at Heart

Lightbulb Time for Action

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha_Dana
    Sidney Girl,

Sorry to hear that you are upset. I would be too. Would you join me in writing a letter to the station owner that violence, though implied, will not be tolerated? The DJ is a caveman.

Dana
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocie
    Yes I agree with Aloha_Dana this attitude should be stamped out. I am sure the presenter has broken at least one law by broadcasting his fascist beliefs.

I'll sign it!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessedwithpantyhos
    as far as the radio station goes u can go to their website and drop them a NASTY letter telling then how they have lost at least one listener and ur gona tell all ur friends to change the channel.. power of droped rating does more harm than anything else when it comes to TV and Radio..
    Yes, the management of this station needs to hear from us! Fortunately, they've made it easy for us to communicate with them via their website. Here's the address:

http://www.ksfo560.com

On the homepage, you'll find a menu, and under "PROGRAMMING" there's an "E-mail" option. This allows one to communicate to the radio station or to any of the regular hosts. I've already sent messages to "Officer Vic" (the offender) and to "General Feedback for KSFO."

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Susan
    The radio announcer's name should be given on this site. We need to know what kind of vermin has a license to behave in such a distasteful way. Radio has really lost its appeal over the past few years, particularly since right wing radio talk show hosts have been given a green light to spread hatred.
    The announcer's name is, well, I don't actually know his real name, but on the radio he's known as "Officer Vic."

In defense of KSFO and Officer Vic, I will say that this sort of commentary seems to be the exception, and not the rule. (Also, the left has certainly done its share of hatred-spreading.) I am a political conservative, and am not ashamed of that. I guess some would call me a "right winger." My primary disagreement with my political allies is on the subject of TS/TG/CD, etc.

Nevertheless, Officer Vic's incitement to violence against those who fail to meet his personal definition of "masculinity" must be dealt with. I urge any and all of you girls to contact KSFO and let them know of your outrage.

Finally, does anyone have any ideas on how a number of us could sign a common letter, or perhaps have an on-line petition? I'm not very knowledgable about such matters, and would appreciate some technical expertise. Anyone interested?
    Sidney -- Youngirl at Heart

"I did not have three thousand pairs of shoes. I had one thousand sixty." --Imelda Marcos

"Real men don't need to define what a 'real man' is." --Sidney

StephanieCD
    You could try an email forwarding campaign - write an eloquent letter to whom it may concern, ask all of us if we'll PM you an email address to send it to, then you email it to all of us, we forward it to everyone we know who we feel would feel the same way - they repeat the process until following the final instruction - to forward it to the main recipient's email address. Sort of unruly that way - another option would be to write a letter, post it here so we can all copy it and send it to the same email address - they'll receive dozens of upset emails. You could choose anyone as a "target"

Wow, this is a touchy one.

I saw a picture of the guy and I was initially skeptical about his "religious" motivation. (I admit I don't know him or his culture, so I could be wrong) I saw it as a kid who's looking for attention. In the 50's it was Fonzie. In the 60's it was a hippy look. Today, piercings and large tattoos, or the goth look are a fashion that hope to create a stir. Really sexy outfits are part of that too.

I can understand how a school would want to limit a look so "way out" it is distracting. I don't know that uniforms are necessary, but I understand the the argument that it eliminates this kind of distraction. (I know, I know. It limits a person's self image, an issue with which we all know very well.)

I have kids in school and if they can just get an education, math, science, history, how to solve problems, some trade skills, etc., that's what I'm looking for. I'll handle the social stuff at home. So keep the door open to the poor school administrator who has to deal with all this extraneous stuff at schools.

Now, as for the radio guy. Slug. Turn him off. If you are inclined call his station and his direct sponsors and let them know you will not tolerate inciting violence. That is unacceptable. But remember, you cannot incite it either, or you become like the slug.

As for wearing make up. Oh, yes. Let's! But again, let's ease into it. We have to bring the culture to us. Shocking it is one tactic that may bring change, but be prepared for that "equal and opposite reaction". Personally, I don't think that's as productive. Respect and honor will win the day.

Hog hugs. (with a little mascara!)
    Jerry

Wtf?

As for the make-up in schools........I see makeup on teen boys all of the time. The goths wear it, the visi-goths wear it, and of course, the Hurdy-Gurdy men wear it. I'm rather surprised that it was an issue, particularly in California. Aren't all Californians gay? I thought I read that somewhere. It must be true.
    Hey, Ronald Reagan came from California, so....

On a side note, to give a political landscape of the Southern California area, there are alot of places like Los Angeles and its suburbs that are very liberal, then there are other areas like San Bernardino County, Orange County, and more places to the east and south of Los Angeles County that are very conservative. (From what I remember researching once, I think San Bernardino has one of the highest numbers of police brutality occurrences in the country, mostly aimed at minorities. There was that case not so long ago about the black woman whose family called the police to check on her in her car, and they ended up shooting her 14 times in front of their eyes). So no, it's not a surprise that there might be just a tad of intolerance for different things out there. From my experience though, I don't think there's anything that has to do with wearing makeup in the Wiccan religion.
    Too... Shy shy... hush hush, eye to eye...

Island Girl

Thanks

Sidney_girl, thanks for the link. I'll shoot them an e-mail RE the DJ's violence.

Susan, Californians aren't gay, they're too busy saving trees, eating granola and wasing their cars

Dana

Susan, Californians aren't gay, they're too busy saving trees, eating granola and wasing their cars

Dana[/QUOTE]

LOL!

And surfing!