Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments made while shopping

Comments made while shopping

I was just wondering if other people ever get comments from cashiers or other shoppers while shopping. I keep telling myself I won't have problems buying stuff and that the cashier won't say anything, and I keep getting proven wrong.

I know a lot of you say that this never happens, so I must just be getting very unlucky.

A few months ago I went to value village, and bought a slip & some pyjamas, and the cashier asked me "Whats that for", and it took me off guard.

Then yesterday, I was at a drug store, and figured "I'm here anyway, and have been meaning to buy some make-up for a while." The store was pretty dead since it was new years and everything else was closed, so I figured "Why not?" and picked up some nail polish, lipstick, lip gloss and eye liner. I get to the cash, and the cashier looks at the stuff and says "Is this for you? I'm just kidding"

I'm not at the stage where I am comfortable telling total strangers face to face that I CD, so I just kinda laughed along, because I didn't know what else to do. I just keep telling myself this won't happen, and it does.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    Every once and a while I will get a smart remark. Even though I usually shop with my wife, I know I am not fooling the cashier when we place a pair of size 12 high heels on the counter. I just usually ignore the remark and say nothing, letting my silence make the cashier feel like they just said a really unfunny and lame comment.

100% spoiled brat christina marie's Avatar
    you get used to it after a few, happens to me all the time. last time i bought polish SA says(jokingly) thats not really your color hon, so i threw on my best pouty face and said well i like it anyway! should have seen the look on her face!
    "you can have this nail file when you pry it from my cold ,dead hands."

Boy, you have some rude cashiers up there.

Truthfully, I'm one of those who never had a problem. Of course, being dressed as I am makes it readily apparent who I'm buying things for.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Platinum Member
    i have had times were the casher said things like that and told her their for me ....a few times the casher said your wife will love them..... i said then i better get some in her size too these are mine......at one time i might have died but now it's no big deal..........

Celtic Woman in training SiobhanW's Avatar
    I once had a female SA say to me "Those will look good on you" when I was buying several pairs of panties. Unfortunately embarrasment got the better of me and all I could reply was "Funny". These days I would love to say something like "I hope so!" or "Yes, I think they will too".
    It takes a real woman to handle this man, in a dress!
    "I really love that dress on you. I can only think of one place where it might look better."
    "Let me guess....on your bedroom floor?"
    "No, ON ME!"

Quote Originally Posted by angelfire View Post
    I'm not at the stage where I am comfortable telling total strangers face to face that I CD, so I just kinda laughed along, because I didn't know what else to do. I just keep telling myself this won't happen, and it does.
    You don't EVER have to tell someone you're a CD if you don't want to; especially a cashier because it's none of their business. If you're able to make a witty comment and stick it to em' in a non-angry way that's good, if not you can always just ignore them and walk out.

I've only had a couple of experiences where a cashier said something to me that rubbed me the wrong way. Once when I was buying a leopard bra at Macy's the cashier frowned and said in a disapproving way, "Here's your bra." I just ignored her comment and walked out with my purchase. The other time was when I was buying some hoop earrings the cashier said with a scowl, "You know you can't return these?" I thought to myself why would I want to return these? I just ignored her too and walked out.

Buying stuff really is no big deal. Just ignore people who don't mind their own business and buy whatever you want. You don't have to answer to them.

Tamara
    I've had a few comments from cashiers when buying makeup but I've taken them in jest and get on with my business. Mostly it's become no big deal and I can purchase just about anything without so much as a second look. Guess it just depends on the person behind the register.

I know I've walked through places (in male mode) such as Kolhs (SP), J.C. Pennys, and even Wal-Mart and non-chalantly walked around the different isles looking at purses/handbags and heels and seen some that I've wanted to look at and possibly purchase but I'm too scared to for fear of what might be said.

I just bought my first set of heels on-line and will probably purchase more things from on-line, at least for awhile anways till I get more things to fill out my wardrobe.

I have had a few comments but most of the time they don't say anything or assume i am buying for my wife. Except of course when you are buying size 12 shoes or boots. I think the shoe people know the odds regarding how many people wear size 12 women's shoes. I usually shop with my wife. Once we bought matching panties. One in pink,blue, and a lavender for each of us. The SA asked if I knew these were in 2 different sizes. I just said yes I did and smiled. She must have just realized what she was asking about -- she said something like" oh, I understand now. These are very pretty." So after being surprised I think it was a good recovery on her part.

i never had that problem but have been asked if it was for me an i just put on a big smile and say yes just relax you'll do fine
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i have got myself drunk to the point of throwing up before having the guts to walk into a ggs shop and buy something - for the very reason of thinking people would be looking at me strange looks - going to the till ect - but whenever i have bought anything in a shop knowone has said anything or took any notice of me - the last time i bought from a shop (caus i buy mainly online now) i must be getti braver caus i told the women serving i was a cd - i was hoping theyd offer to let me try the clothes on but i think it was nearly closing time - one of them said oh your one one of them yeh we had one i here the other day - but the point is i guess they cant refuse to serve you and surely if they make rude comments they are breaking their code of conduct - i'm sure here in england most staff are instructed to be tv friendly at least thats what i've heard !

I have not had a problem so far-shop usually in male mode and will have totally fem products at times. Sometimes just looks but no words.

I've never had any comments at the check outs either enfemme or drab - but this is probably down to luck more than anything else.

But I also think that when we're buying female items, either in drab or enfemme, we may be super sensitive to comments or looks which wouldn't normally register as a problem.

I think if you go in with an attitude of "I don't care" then not only don't you look nervous, but no one is going to ruin your day with an off hand comment.

Semi Sane innocent angel
    I bought a pair of red pumps from good will. The two cashiers giggle as the said wow these are big shoes in Spanish. I snapped and said yes I failed just enough HS Spanish to know you are talking about what I'm buying. You know what maybe we should bring your manger over and see if he thinks its funny.

Now I had one experience that took me be surprise. I was looking at a pencil eye liner. The lady came up to me and said are you finding every thing ok, do you have any question. I just shrug it off, and said no then she saw what I had in my hand asked if she could show me how to use it . She was dead serious, no joking no disrespect intended

Just let it go it's not a big deal hun
    Angie

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by niya blake View Post
    I bought a pair of red pumps from good will. The two cashiers giggle as the said wow these are big shoes in Spanish. I snapped and said yes I failed just enough HS Spanish to know you are talking about what I'm buying. You know what maybe we should bring your manger over and see if he thinks its funny.

One time while riding the train, a bunch of spanish house maids were returning home from work. They were all chatting away about me and giggling. I had no clue - I failed HS German. Finally, as they were getting off, some guy standing near by yelled at them for being so inconsiderate. He obviously knew spanish. I thought that was really cool!

Gen

Recently, while at Longs Drugs I purchased 2 tubes of lipstick. The young female SA said these should look good on you. I said I hope so, they go with my eyes. She smiled a mile wide. Made my day.

smiles ... it can happen ... but remember .. an insult has to be accepted before its can be given .

and its rare any intend to give one in cases like this.

think of it as friendly out reach initially and just play along a bit and stay smileing..

the casher girls often notice my rings (engagement types) in eigther mode i tell them well i got these on 25th aniversary 8 yrs ago ( 9 now , married 34 yrs ) cuz it was my turn to have a pretty ring.. that usally makes them smile.. and say congradulations shes a lucky girl,, and i say 'yes me too'

its up to us how to handel things and leave a good inpression ..
    Last edited by davidainmaryland1; 01-02-2008 at 09:08 PM.

At the till

I am bolder now. I used to be real nervous. Now if I buy something femmy and get no comment, I think it is dull and boring. So...I usually tell them I am a cd and hope for an approving comment or a little chit-chat. Maybe some girly advice on fashion or makeup.

my nic says it all obsessedwithpantyhose's Avatar
    i had bought a pair of size 11 boots at payless, i tryd them on and they wer a bit tight but i thought if i wore them they would loosen up a bit,, well they didnt so i took them back after one night of wearing and exchanged them for the size 12 that wer still there and took off my beat up sandles and put the boots on right in front of the cashier lady,, she said there u look better,,one of the sales guys who works at this payless is gay i can tell,, and they dont have a problem with cds comin in there,, nor does Heather who is the manager of the Famous footwear store near me,,i have been in there a few times dressed and her whole staff r cool ,, she used to have a cd who came in there a few yrs back but she hasnt seen him in a while

I didn't actually buy any specifically female products for myself until I was in college. At the time I was nervous and felt awkward but managed to make my purchases. Now I just go in and by what I need/want and never give it a second thought and don't care what anyone may think. I think rude comments may be provoked by nervousness.
    Lori

my nic says it all obsessedwithpantyhose's Avatar
    if u get an off hand coment from a sa just ask to see their mangr,, it dont matter how ur dressed its not their job to pass their own views or judgement onto people who r in there to spend money so they have a job,, without the customer sales people have no reason to leave the house

I have bought several pairs of shoes from Payless Shoe Source and have tried them on in the store. I have never had an unpleasant experience with the sales persons.
    I have also bought bras aand panties at Penney's and had the sales person comment on how nice were my choices.

Silver Member
    OK, can I ask you all a question?

Scared? Afraid? Scared and afraid of WHAT?

For goodness sake! You are all adults. What is there that a cashier can say that actually FRIGHTENS you?

This is SHOPPING. Shopping. You go into the store, pick out what you want, and pay the cashier for it. The cashier asks you who the items are for. SO WHAT? For goodness sake, tell her or ignore her, but be afraid? Afraid of what?

SA and cashiers are people just like us. They can say stupid, impolite, and unfortunate things just like we can. But that's all they can do, and MOST of them don't say anything at all 'cause they are bored silly and can't wait for the day to be over so they can go home. When someone says a stupid or impolite thing to you, you ignore them or not, but PLEASE, PLEASE, don't be afraid of them.

Grow up, people.

Stephie

So, on re-reading all the above posts I guess MY comments are impolite. Most of you DO get it. It's really not that big a deal to go shopping. I apologize for my somewhat out of control post above.

Lovies,
    Stephie
    Last edited by Stephenie S; 01-02-2008 at 10:11 PM.