Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments made while shopping

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angelfire View Post
    A few months ago I went to value village, and bought a slip & some pyjamas, and the cashier asked me "Whats that for", and it took me off guard.

Then yesterday, I was at a drug store, and figured "I'm here anyway, and have been meaning to buy some make-up for a while." The store was pretty dead , so I picked up some nail polish, lipstick, lip gloss and eye liner. I get to the cash, and the cashier looks at the stuff and says "Is this for you? I'm just kidding"

...I just keep telling myself this won't happen, and it does.
    Well, it might be time to find stores with a little more class. "Value Village"? Are you kidding? A store with a name like that?
    Some businesses are a joke. People often forget - when you pay more to some retailers, you are paying not only for a better product but for better service. That is why things are so cheap at WalMart. Same products but sorry stores.

My only 2 bad experiences - one was some snide "B" at WalMart and the other was at some excuse for a drug store called Osco.

Just pay the extra money and start shopping at a little nicer places if you want better service.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Comments made while shopping.

I once bought a pair of bras at a local Penney's store and had the sales person comment on how nice they would look on me. I thanked her for her comments and said I was delighted with my choices.

So far, I've haven't had a rude comment directed at me whatsoever.
    I'm always friendly and courteous and I've always been treated with the same respect and courtesy no matter where I go.

Hugs!
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Banned Read only
    Not long ago, I bought a lacy black bra, and matching scanty panties at Wal-Mart. They didn't have a self checkout, so I bit the bullet and went through a regular checkout lane. The lady rang up the stuff, and did a quick double take. She put the stuff in a bag, and handed it to me, and grabbed my hand, with both of her hands and said, "Have a nice evening". It was 11:00 am in the morning.

On a very few occasions I have received comments from sales associates. They have always been friendly kidding, not mean spirited and I returned with a quip myself. Shopping in person is so muh more fun than internet or mailorder.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

I think the answer is that the sales assistants have a real boring time of it. Hour after hour, day after day, just ringing up the prices. When occasionally something unusual happens it probably just brightens up their day a bit - and they feel compelled to say something.

I doubt if they really intend to insult or make us feel uncomfortable

Banned Read only
    I have never had any really nasty comments beyond a couple snide "here you go SIR's".

I kind of like the thrill of it and will usually try to go to a checkout with a pretty young girl at the register. I have had a couple cashiers try to be smart with me, like once as she was handing me my bag said "Oh and mat I add, you are going to look cute in your new outfit", I just smile and say thanks.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SiobhanW View Post
    I once had a female SA say to me "Those will look good on you" when I was buying several pairs of panties. Unfortunately embarrasment got the better of me and all I could reply was "Funny". These days I would love to say something like "I hope so!" or "Yes, I think they will too".
    I had an SA say the same thing to me a few months ago. My immediate answer, "I certainly hope so, that is why I am getting them!" The SA. a nice lady, blushed and said, "really?" I just replied, "yes, panties are a lot more comfortable and prettier then jockey briefs." She just smiled and rang up the sale.

There are some sorry SA's out there, but I think the majority just want to make sales. Sometimes one just has to learn to ignore the bad ones.

Sissy/Stephanie

Girl on the outside, mostly man underneath

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MlleErin View Post
    Well, it might be time to find stores with a little more class. "Value Village"? Are you kidding? A store with a name like that?
    Some businesses are a joke. People often forget - when you pay more to some retailers, you are paying not only for a better product but for better service.
    A lot of crossdressers shop at Value Village. The clothes are inexpensive and priced by category and you never know what you are going to find -- for example, I found a full-length brown leather skirt (not suede) in one for $7.

It is true that Value Village offers very little in the way of service: it is a place where you have to make your choices by yourself, line up to try them on, and eventually take them to the front cashes. No-one is going to help you look for anything and no-one is going to help you decide whether things fit properly or what colour to choose. Which also makes it safe for crossdressers to look to their hearts content without any clerk staring at them. And the few clerks that are there are usually thinking mostly of how long it is until their next break or how long until they can go home (I've overheard them talking.)

In the Value Village stores I have shopped in, none of the employees, male or female, has given a toot what I'm looking at or what I try on or what I buy. It's a clothes supermarket: ring in the clothes mechanically because there is a line behind this customer and they are getting impatient. Yup, the employees at the change room lineup have clearly seen me taking in a bundle of skirts and dresses, and the most expression I have ever had from them was a "game-face smile".

The only time anyone has said anything to me was when the lady in the fitting room said "You know these are womens clothes right?" I smiled and said "yup."

The different experiences here depend mostly on how you are dressed: In male mode you can even buy typically female products without comments except for shoes size 12 maybe. They would normally think it is for your wife or girlfriend. Buying such items in a not really passing female mode you might get some awkward comments.
    I usually let the SA believe I am looking for something for my wife and as an experianced male I need some help.

i bought a garter belt and stockings at wal-mart recently. When i went to the counter my conversation with the cashier went something like this:

"Yeah, i thought i'd get a gift for my girlfriend, but really it's more like a gift for me."

Guess which part of that sentence was a lie.
    Gentlemanly by day, uppercutting dinosaurs by night.

of all the times I've been shopping, I have never had any comments on my items
    Ladies & Gentlemen, HER. 💋🌸💗

Quote Originally Posted by MlleErin View Post
    Some businesses are a joke. People often forget - when you pay more to some retailers, you are paying not only for a better product but for better service. That is why things are so cheap at WalMart. Same products but sorry stores.
    I believe I deserve good service regardless of where I shop. The employees aren't being paid to question someone's purchases.

I have had good experiences at places with "less class". The Salvation Army I have never had a bad experience there ever, and it is even cheaper than Value Village. I don't fully dress, and I don't dress & go out. I don't even under dress usually, so I can't justify spending a lot of money on something that might get worn for a few hours a month. If I were going to wear it every day, or even every week, I might be willing to spend a bit more.

The softer side of Sears JoanAz's Avatar

I carry my Avatar pictures in my wallet when shopping (guy mode) though my hair is long and blonde.
    When a check out person says something I quickly show my pictures.
    All I get is "Wow I would KILL for those legs"
    One Wall Mart girl commented (when cold weather started) "I sure miss your Short's", I keep my legs smooth
    JoanAz

Hmm. I get very few comments while shopping, and I've never a rude or unwarranted one. I remember one cashier saying something like "oh, these are nice," but that's about it. To be honest, I find myself wishing that they would say something. If nothing else, it would make the experience more interesting.

Crystal

Earlier in my "career" I went through the making up stories about why I was buying women's clothes but as I become more experienced I care less and less. Many times when I buy something I am disappointed when the SA does not make a comment especially a good one. Sometimes it is annoying how little attention clerks pay to what you are buying! After all it is a thrill to me to tell anyone that I am a crossdresser and who better to tell than someone who really doesn't know you and you are helping pay their salary by buying their merchandise. If they ask if it is for me I say sure it is!
    Riki

Semi Sane innocent angel
    3 months ago I was buying skirt at Ross. The cashier went on a rant how she cant believe that I would be buying some thing for my GF with out her there, because most guys dont know how to buy womens clothes.

Basically a male bashing rant. Which lead me to wounder why does she still have a job .

I look back and think, I should of said I think by now I know my own size.

I've never gotten any comments, in many years of shopping.

I was in four or five stores today buying some very feminine items and not one cashier batted an eye. One nice old lady asked if I'd forgotten to get the So a Christmas gift. I just said it was a birthday gift...
    Michelle

GG, Giving Corset Advice MsToriJones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessedwithpantyhose View Post
    one of the sales guys who works at this payless is gay i can tell,, and they dont have a problem with cds comin in there,, nor does Heather who is the manager of the Famous footwear store near me,,i have been in there a few times dressed and her whole staff r cool ,, she used to have a cd who came in there a few yrs back but she hasnt seen him in a while
    You know, it doesn't matter where you go, NO ONE should have a problem with how you are dressed. I can slip on men's jeans and a t-shirt and no one things I am "trying to be a guy" why can't society just lighten up and let you all be the way you want to be and accept the clothing you CHOOSE to wear in these free countries.

gg with no patients for those who are not accepting of all
    [SIZE="3"]Ms Tori Jones [/SIZE]

SA comments

I can really only remember two times when an SA said anything to me about my purchases. The first was in Wal-Mart, i was buying a sweet vassarette black lace bra. The register line i was in was a few people long so i had to wait with the bra in my handbasket. Just as it was my turn to check out, they switched cashiers, and the girl who stepped up turned out to be one of my customers from the store I was managing at the time. When she took the bra out of the basket, she looked at me kind of puzzled, and all i said was that I had ruined one of my wifes by tossing it in the dryer with my jeans and needed to replace it. She smiled, said thats sweet, and on I went. She never even mentioned it when she would come in my store and make her payments.
    The other time was in Payless, I was looking at the size 11 heels and boots when one of the girls popped around the corner to ask if i needed any help. I told her I was just looking and thanked her. She told me if I needed help, just ask her, then floored me by handing one of the socklettes for trying on the ladies shoes, smiled and went away. I bought 1 pair of strappy heels and a pair of high calf, faux suede boots. At the register, she smiled and told me she hoped i enjoyed them, and to please come back soon. I ended up buying most of my shoes from this girl over the next cpl of years.
    "The hardest to learn is the least complicated."-----Emily Saliers

I think it is mostly curiousity

I have found a lot of these type comments are more because they are trying to elicit some response. Proper or not, most of the time these comments are innocent. You do not have to confess to your CDing but you should be able to understand it is human nature to be curious.

Some of the best shopping experiences have come from the least likely places and people and they all started with some kind of comment or question.

Once at a Cato store in the middle of the oilfield patch, I entered the store and the two SA's followed me in and observed me. They could not make up their mind on how to approach me. Then they did. They did not ask if they could be of help. They asked me who I was shopping for. I told them they were being nosy. Caught off guard by my reply, they then explained no guys ever walked in that store. By the time I left, we were the best of friends. Whenever I go back they treat me like a queen.

I know every manager at the local Dress Barns and Cato stores and most of the time I am greeted with a hug and a kiss. I never fooled any of them, because usually the relationship has started with a question or a prompt like "would you like any pantyhose today?" or "we have a special on our panties today".

This has happened many other times. I do not know what they go home and tell their husbands or boyfriends but they sure go out of their way for me. I am hopefully creating a good impression and making a statement about us CDers not being some whackos. There are the rare rude occasions, but I act like I never noticed. I have also had ladies at certain stores give me looks of disapproval who after a few more visits to their store have turned their attitude around.

Michelia

I agree totally .... Don't let them worry you and make a joke out of it if you can

If I'm dressed its not a problem ... they take me as I want to be on sight and don't argue.
    I have a lady in Woolies who gives me advice on makeup, another who colours and cut my hair. I've turned up there dressed before a party, so she could give me advice.
    When I buy clothes I do so at the Salvation Army Op Shop ... They are great there and the stuff is super cheap, and in great condition.
    Some of them are interested, and they get more helpfull if I show them a picture or 2 in my phone!.
    Generaly people want to help, so I let them,and we get on with it!

All you need is confidence and poise, and you become unasailale!
    Regards

bEEb
    Long ago, I was buying a pair of nice heels at a 2nd hand store. The young man behind the cash register smiled knowingly and said "These will get ya up there".... I embarrass easily so I turned purple and mumbled something...
    Then there's the time my sister -in-law caught me buying pantyhose and a bra at the Kmart standing right there at the end of the checkout! .... Gawd! (She never did mention it) I STILL wonder what she mighta said to my bro?
    If we are that self conscious... The Self checkouts are great. Some stores like Meijer's stay open 24/7.. Go at 3am and have the place to yourself! (I'd probably run into my "ex sis-in-law" with my luck!)

A need to know thing

I really like threads like this because they help to alleviate fear.One should be able to purchase anything they want without question.I've bought a lot of things online, and would if I dressed or not.I do feel a need to challenge myself because I don't like the thought of denying who I am and don't want to be closeted forever. I'll never forget the first time buying make up and I was scarred to death. I got in line and 15 people backed up behind me,I felt flush and heart pounding hard,then finally to the register and a malfunction with the register.I think I realized then and there that I cannot react to what others do not condone or understand. I would always allow others perceptions of me rule and instill fear,so this realization helped with other personal battles as well.
    Last edited by Celeste; 01-04-2008 at 05:18 PM.