Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to know WHY....

I want to know WHY....

Why can women (gg's) buy mens clothing without comment from a sales associate, but men can't buy women's clothes without comments?

It seems that the SA's assume the women are buying the clothes for their husbands/boyfriends/sons/etc. But when men buy women's clothes it is assumed they are not buying for their wife/GF/etc. My wife & I are nearly the same size (I'm a 12 & she's a 14) & I buy things for her & me.
    Fortunately I've never got the rude or implying comment from the SA.

But still some on this site report rude comments and my question is WHY?
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

I have never had any negative comments when buying ladies clothes

I never told them who it was for and they have yet to ask
    Last edited by Shelly_P; 01-02-2008 at 09:12 PM.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

A Real Softy
    I was always afraid to buy women's clothes except just before Holloween or Christmas. You could always step up to the salesperson and ask if this would be a good gift for your wife.

I now shop dressed - so even if they know what I am they don't say anything.

Irene
    I was not born a woman - but I got here as fast as I could.

Gold Member
    Once in a while there is the SA who is new and has not seen it all.
    They soon learn that it is nice when people are at least willing to pay for their stuff instead of trying to rip it off.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

my nic says it all obsessedwithpantyhose's Avatar
    i shop the same stores so they get to know u,,,

what i want to know is why if u slip on a pair of pantyhose or a skirt ur SO or family member asks R U GAY NOW??? but if they slip on her mans shirt or boxers its ok? we should turn the tables and ask them if they want to munch on some carpet now when they do shyt like that

I have found that most people associate crossdressing with having desires to be gay. This, of course, is a total fallacy, but that these not alter the misconception. I have discovered that younger people are more accepting of the idea that crossdressing is not an indication that one is gay.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by bitzflick View Post
    Why can women (gg's) buy mens clothing without comment from a sales associate, but men can't buy women's clothes without comments?
    Not in California, I see lots of men perusing the woman's clothing and lingerie racks, and very few people notice it, much less comment about it. I think it depends on where you live.

Don't think anyone batted an eyelash at me today when shopping en drab. Bought a sweater in one store, and four tops in another. Gotta love Boxing Week sales Even walking through the stores, including the Bay, nobody seemed to care too much.

The best though was the Goodwill store earlier. Grabbed a pair of guys jeans, a pair of girls capris and a long suede skirt, went into the change room, tried them all on and decided on none of them. Looked around a bit longer and left. Not a comment from the 20 or so GGs in the store.

Kassandra

I've often wondered the same thing as to why such a double standard exists where it's acceptable for women to wear men's or women's clothes, but men are thought of as deviants if they dress the least bit feminine. It sure would be nice if people were more open-minded about men wanting to be more feminine and the choice of clothing we wear. Maybe someday.

Rebecca

My one milestone for 08' is to dry dresses on in a store. The one problem is not many sell tall women's dresses.

Banned Read only
    Life ain't fair. There has always been a double standard, and there always will be. If you are going to stay in CDing, and you are, better get a thick skin.

it has to do with confidence if you were not a crossdresser and were actully buying for your wife then you wouldn't feel like anyone was watching or going to make a comment

a favorate memory

i worked in downtown Chicago for years. I remember one shopping experience in MF so well. I was looking at skirts and blouses and the SA came up to me as I was holding up a Liz Claborne skirt to see how long it would fall on me--she basically busted me. Without missing a beat or taking her eyes off me she said "is that not the prettest skirt you have ever seen? We just got it in and I can tell you that I love that skirt. You have really good taste! Did you see the silk blouses from Liz--they are to die for. I cant believe you found my most favorate skirt in this entie store". Guess what? I had to have the skirt and blouse and still have them. That was 15 years ago and still think of that exchange every time I wear them. Yea, it may be a bit dated-maybe too shiny for the times but it sure feels good every time I put it on!

I was at my favorite lingere store and was looking through the panties when a SA came up and asked if I needed any help finding the color and size for my SO. I told her that in fact it was for me. I could see her to do a fast swallow and then proceeded to help me find the color i was wanting in my size. I wear what feels good and can come close to unisex. I know what i have on and sometimes thats enough. I do want to go further...someday.
    I am me and you are you, give me love and I'll love you too.

I agree strongly with brittanny, and it's nuts how the mentality just switches. When I buy cloths for women, I don't think anything about what the people around me are thinking. When I'm shopping for myself, all of a sudden it's like all eyes are on me. But I look no different to all those around me no matter the case, so I feel silly.

There are lots of double standards with men and women alike. This is one of them, and of course it isn't fair. It's also not fair that women aparently get much lighter sentences than men when they sleep with their students; men can be overweight, while women are supposed to be barbie dolls; men are supposed to dress like men, while women can wear whatever they damn well please; women are frowned upon for being sexual, while men get to sleep around.

These double standards are a result of society trying to perserve the binary mentalities it imposes on all people imo. A thought process that is slowly but surly diminishing. We can choose to gripe about it, but I say keep going against the grain by not letting these things get to you, and keep doing what you're doing.

Platinum Member
    ok from the other side of the coin, i am FtM and yes ive had bad vibes from trying to buy mens clothes!!! dont assume none of us dont get a raw deal it does happen occasionally

my nic says it all obsessedwithpantyhose's Avatar
    i do what i have to do to live and wear my pantyhose

shoping for anything isnt the problem its the double standard that gets my goat because it keeps the timid from living their lives to the best they can like the rest of us do... did that make sense??

Actually it made dollars!

I think that it is very much your attitude that is reflected with the SA. If you are happy and joking you tend to get that back. If you act nervous then people look at you more and suspect that there is something wrong. This goes for either gender!

I have found that if I distract the SA with asking them how their day is going and talking with them they really don't pay that much attention to what they are ringing up.

Probably the same reason I have seen lesbian women out in public wearing mens clothes and nobody bats an eye. But if a man goes out in public dressed as a woman, he's considered a freak or a pervert. It is what it is.

Some SA'a just do it to make conversation. Doesn't matter really and I ignore it for the most part. I'm the one with the money and know what I want. Occasionally I have some very nice conversations with SA's who aren't the least bit fazed about who I'm buying the stuff for.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Last summer I walked into WalMart in drab, bought a complete outfit. Skort, matching top, heels, new fem watch, neckless, earrings, and makeup. The GG SA's made a comment about me buying for my wife. I told her it was not for my wife, it was for me. She looked at me for a moment and then started commenting on how nice the top and heels went with the skort. That I should look real nice in the outfit. She even asked if it was my birthday or something special. I said NO, I was just wanted a new outfit.
    The SA once she understood who the outfit was for, seem to be completely OK with it all. She even said after she had rung up everything, "Have a nice dsy dear".

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Carter View Post
    My one milestone for 08' is to dry dresses on in a store. The one problem is not many sell tall women's dresses.
    You can try on women's clothes. Just make sure you go to the men's dressing room! I do that when I'm not sure if something will fit.

I've never had a problem buying anything in a store, ever. I have heard some stories from people who have. Sometimes, at the drugstore, I see the girl at the register hesitate a little when I put down hair remover, fake nails and a hair scrunchi, but I personally think that's funny! As a consumer, you have the right to buy what you want without being hassled. And others are right when they say the SA may be trying to make conversation, or be helpful. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hugs,

Melissa
    What's the point of instruments, words are a sawed off shotgun-Radiohead

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/melissa.c.keiper

I think about this all the time. Imagine what we do being entirely acceptable! What a fantastic place this world would be!

I go shopping with my friends who are girls all the time, and except for the two girls who know, I can't comment or even really seem interested without feeling really awkward. I wish I could comment, make suggestions, and even grab stuff for myself when I am out with anyone. I would have such a full closet!

I totally agree the double standard is a terrible, terrible thing.
    *Lila*

I don't really care what SA's think anymore,I just queue and pay for what I buy normally and it doesn't bother me how they react,whether they give me a look,or the tone of voice used when asking for payment and then thanking me for my custom. Varying reactions,in both cases when buying tights/hose,run from a young girl who didn't bat an eyelid and said I'd reminded her that she needed some as well,to an older woman,at least in her fifties,who said,in a rather disapproving voice,"Shall I put them in a bag for you,dear"?

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar
    I have had some wonderful experiences with sales associates. If they ask I tell them it is for me. There was a time I was terrified to even be in the women's department, but as with anything, the more you do it and do it successfully the less of a problem it is.

In one case I had a sales associate compliment me on the choice of summer dress saying that it went well with my skin colour. In another case, two sales associates complimented me on my sense of style.

Regardless of the perceived double standard (because it is all about perception), if you want to do this you have to look past what you think people are thinking about you and just do it. It will get easier, the shakes will stop, the nervousness will quell and the sweaty palms will dry out. Enjoy your femmedom.
    What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...