Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do you need a female name? Part two.

Neither my many male names nor my many female names matter that much to me. They do seem to matter much more to other people who need a label to hold on to.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly_P View Post

I dont see what is to be gained by asking this question ????
    We could probably ask the above-quoted question about many thread inquiries, but I don't mind that people ask. It's a big part of what keeps the forum going--conversation. Actually, I think that it's interesting because I am aware of protecting my privacy and the need to use aliases for that purpose.
    Most of the time I use my favorite fem name--Linnea--because that is the name that means the most to me. However, I have taken precautions on other sites by using a different name or two. And even here I have taken the precaution of not posting a picture (although I may go back to using a snapshot of Linnea again).
    warmly, Linnea

i dont really have a femme name as such i used shirley as my password without thinking about it - i am caught between names (lorraine, sandra and dawn) but i havnt really bin out much yet - but as i am plannin on going to a tg meetin next week i ill then need a definate name because other girls will not want to call me adrian my real name - it wouldnt suit me in femme and i dont like adrienne - so i think i'm goin for lorraine i really like it slightly more than the other 2 i think - but then again you can always change it as you havnt been christained with that name like your real name !

If I may respond the original question with a question, why do we need female clothing?

Headed toward the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva Marie View Post
    If I may respond the original question with a question, why do we need female clothing?
    I cannot answer your question. That is something an individual has to answer and I am sure it will vary with each individual.

Wickanne

Canadian in Transition Jenn2716's Avatar

It's all about how you view yourself

I think that any tg person who doesn't use their femme name in public probably has no issues with using their femme name online.

However, any t-girl who is know publicly by their femme name, may wish to maintain some form of privacy and us another femme name online.

Personally, I've always used a femme name online, and also on the couple of occasions that I have interacted publicly enfemme. However, I tried several girl names and never really felt that I've gotten it right yet. In the last 12 years I've used: Jennifer, Jenni, Ciara (briefly), and now Jenna. I haven't had any issues changing my name, because I've never really made any online friends who have become attached to any of my previous names.

I would have liked to have used the name my mother would have given me had I been born a girl, but ironically that is my wife's name and it would be kinda silly to have both of us with the same name. I guess I'll keep on searching for the right one and just use Jenna for now.
    [SIZE=3]Life is what you make it.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by jenna2716 View Post
    I think that any tg person who doesn't use their femme name in public probably has no issues with using their femme name online.

However, any t-girl who is know publicly by their femme name, may wish to maintain some form of privacy and us another femme name online.

Personally, I've always used a femme name online, and also on the couple of occasions that I have interacted publicly enfemme. However, I tried several girl names and never really felt that I've gotten it right yet. In the last 12 years I've used: Jennifer, Jenni, Ciara (briefly), and now Jenna. I haven't had any issues changing my name, because I've never really made any online friends who have become attached to any of my previous names.

I would have liked to have used the name my mother would have given me had I been born a girl, but ironically that is my wife's name and it would be kinda silly to have both of us with the same name. I guess I'll keep on searching for the right one and just use Jenna for now.
    You look like an "Arabella".

Quote Originally Posted by shirley1 View Post
    i dont really have a femme name as such i used shirley as my password without thinking about it - i am caught between names (lorraine, sandra and dawn) but i havnt really bin out much yet - but as i am plannin on going to a tg meetin next week i ill then need a definate name because other girls will not want to call me adrian my real name - it wouldnt suit me in femme and i dont like adrienne - so i think i'm goin for lorraine i really like it slightly more than the other 2 i think - but then again you can always change it as you havnt been christained with that name like your real name !
    Adrian is a great name...think about famous moments in movies...no not that movie ;-) I was thinking "Rocky". You could stretch it out to her correct movie name...Adrianna

Thank you all for your responses :-)

Wickanne
    Last edited by Wickanne GG; 01-26-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: additional info

Canadian in Transition Jenn2716's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickanne GG View Post
    You look like an "Arabella".

Wickanne
    Arabella - that's a name I never heard before? Where does it come from?
    [SIZE=3]Life is what you make it.[/SIZE]

I have used Amy for many years. I when I am dressed enfemme my name is Amy. Someday as I start to come out, I will no longer be John, I will be Amy.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Quote Originally Posted by jenna2716 View Post
    Arabella - that's a name I never heard before? Where does it come from?
    I don't know where it comes from. I only know that "bella" is the Italian feminine for "beautiful", but I don't know that it is an Italian name.

I can tell you were I saw it. One night, about 30 years ago, I got home from a late-shift and was watching some very odd black-and-white movie...not much choice of movies in those days. I was about to turn it off when the characters did a scene in a cemetary and "Arabella" was on a grave maker. I have never forgotten that name. It was so beautiful and thought if I ever had a daughter I would name her "Arabella". When my daughter was born, blonde hair and almost screaming her lungs out, the name just didn't seem to "fit" her so I gave her another name...lol.

I finished watching the movie because of that name.

Wickanne

I just prefer to think of my femme side as Tommi I don't go out so it really is no big deal but I felt I deserve to call myself by a name that atleast sounds
    fem.
    Staying in the closet isn't so bad as long as you know why your in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly_P View Post
    The only time this seems to be of any use whatsoever is when someone is using their female name 24/7

So this is of little relevance to most CD's

Only TS's & GG's are protecting of there first female name
    Ooooh, I soooooo disagree. I have been using exactly the same name everywhere on the web since February 7th, 1997 and it is hugely relevant to me. I have a site, created pages for other's doll sites, post in various groups, participate in chat rooms and get the bulk of my email addressed exactly to me. All of the LGs know me as Taffy and I am very protective of my first name. My name is part of me and it is the label by which I am identified.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickanne GG View Post
    ...would you select a different 'female' name to protect the privacy of your first 'female' name?
    Absolutely not. I wear one of those gold "name" rings on my right hand all the time with "TAFFY CHEERFUL" clearly readable as the letters. In fact it has it twice, so no matter which way it turns around, it is still readable. I actually have a problem with folks who change their name as often as one would change their socks. Esther Dyson, in her book Release 2.0 made an empassioned arguement for "persistent pseudonymity" as imperative for the development of any sense of community online. It is only by recognizing an individual over time that we come to understand and appreciate where they are coming from. With anonymity, which comes from constantly changing names, we never get to that state...
    Last edited by Taffy; 01-27-2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added a quote from another user
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click Here to View My Website: Taffy's Tea Trolley
    "Growing old is inevitable; growing up is optional..."

My female name is my name now. I changed it legally years ago. It is my name. I don't use any other, anywhere. However, I do not give out my surname.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    ...Esther Dyson, in her book Release 2.0 made an empassioned arguement for "persistent pseudonymity" as imperative for the development of any sense of community online. It is only by recognizing an individual over time that we come to understand and appreciate where they are coming from. With anonymity, which comes from constantly changing names, we never get to that state...
    Wow, great point. I had never thought about that side of it before.

Thanks to all for your great replies

Wickanne

My female name has a total personal meaning to me... I love it.
    My friend is using it in a story he is writing and it has Celtic connections which is my ethnic background [I am Scotish(mother)/Irish(father)]. I do play online games using the name Aeslyn which is till now was my only online female persona, though i'd always tell people that only my character was a girl, that i was really a guy. So, when i came here I just used the name i was used to using.

Names

I use 1 or 2 names depending on where I am. I mostly use Farrah though.

I have used Jenna for many years now, both online and in RL when I'm presenting as a woman. When I was young, I named my femme self Rebecca/Becky and I really like that name and used it until I married. My wife had a pair of twin sisters who passed away shortly after they were born. Even though she didn't know of my femme side, I thought it would be disrespectful and hurtful to her and her mother, so I changed my name to Jennifer. That lasted for about 2-3 years, then I changed it to Jenna and have used it for the last 18 or so years. When needed I use my real surname with it because that is who I am.

On a side note, I never really liked my male name and when I started college I just started having everyone call me by a nickname. I chose one that was short, rugged, and masculine. Thinking back on it, I probably chose it to "beef" up my image and not draw attention to my "sensitive" nature as many people would describe me.

Jenna
    [SIZE="2"]There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved. - George Sand[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]