Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying clothes for your partners...

Platinum Member

Buying clothes for your partners...

I was just wondering how many of you buy lingerie or other clothes items for your loved ones, be it for a birthday or whatever reason?...in male mode i mean....

If you do, please say whether you buy yourself stuff too, im just wondering the difference between buying for yourself and saying you are buying for a loved one?

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jill s View Post
    Is it hard for a Transman to shop for themselves? I never even thought of that side of it before.
    Fear was there in the early days of trying to build my wardrobe, but its usually unfounded when buying something , theres been a problem a few times ive wanted to try things on, or want to find something so im directed to the womens department, ive never had a male partner so ive never bought for them so that theory is out, i have had shop assistances think something female i was buying was for me
    Last edited by Kieron Andrew; 01-11-2008 at 09:54 AM.

My wife is not into lacy/Satin nightwear. Last set of Satin PJ's I bought her just sit in her drawer. On the other hand, last Christmas eve, she bought me a PINK lacy robe, PINK Satin PJ's, and PINK fuzzy slippers. I am wearing the robe and slippers, but it is still too cold to start wearing the Satin PJ's.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnDallas View Post
    On the other hand, last Christmas eve, she bought me a PINK lacy robe, PINK Satin PJ's, and PINK fuzzy slippers. I am wearing the robe and slippers, but it is still too cold to start wearing the Satin PJ's.
    Im not asking what you have been bought, im just wondering what girly things you have bought for others cos i see alot of thread about being worried to buy things for their female side and im wondering if those people buy things for loved ones then whats the difference?

When my wife and I shop for lingerie or whatever most of the time we shop together I do sometimes I go solo buying hose and such.
    Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew View Post
    I was just wondering how many of you buy lingerie or other clothes items for your loved ones, be it for a birthday or whatever reason?...in male mode i mean....
    I bought three bras for my wife for Christmas because she needed some new ones and kept putting off buying them. The salesperson at Macy's was very helpful, and I gave her enough information about my wife that she was able to pick out some nice ones. She even enlisted the help of another clerk.

I'm certain they didn't think the bras were for me, but it probably wouldn't have mattered to these particular women.
    Author of Being Kay / A Transgender Journey

That is a very interesting question and got me to thinking. Almost everything that I have bought in the line of night gown, top, or even skirts just take up room in her dresser drawers or the closet. She does not even own a dress. She had to get one for our oldest daughters wedding, the next day it was go to Goodwill. She states that men's clothes are much more to her liking.

Nancy

I do buy for me and my wife never at the same time early on I was always nervous then one time when I was shopping for my wife at Lane Bryant the
    SA asked if I wanted to try it on freaked me out at the time I had never thought about trying womens clothes in a womens store.
    Now days I normally only try stuff on when I'm at Kohl's but I do shop everywhere else. One time this last summer while at Fashion Bug the SA was
    impressed that I knew my wifes size so well and such good taste for a man,
    the clothes were for me but no need to tell her that.
    Staying in the closet isn't so bad as long as you know why your in there.

I used to regularly buy my wife lingerie without the slightest problem, but somehow when i knew it was for me i,d get embarressed. I don,t know why and since i,ve been single again i seem to have overcome the embarressment and can buy anything now without a problem. [I even try things on in shops nowadays].

I've bought lingerie for my wife. Some she's been keen on, some not. The same goes for other clothes as well. We do have different tastes, and sometimes I guess wrong.

For example, she had a bad burn on the last day of a cruise. When we got back home she found her regular bras quite uncomfortable, so I went to VS and picked out some racer back bras that fastened in the front. She'd never tried them before and really liked them.

I've bought her a couple of cami's to wear under tops she considered too sheer, but for some reason she's never worn the cami's or the the tops.

We've also been out shopping for lingerie together, for her was the goal, and I've had no qualms looking for things she might like, she's not considered, and taking them to the SAs so they can take them into the dressing room for her to try.

As for other clothes, yes I shop for her, and as you can see, if I have no worries about lingerie shopping, I'm certainly not going to have any when shopping for other clothes.

please say whether you buy yourself stuff too, im just wondering the difference between buying for yourself and saying you are buying for a loved one?
    I usually by for myself when my wife isn't with me, because she can get uncomfortable with it. However, we have shopped together and bought for both her and me at the same time. Even though the sizes are clearly different, it's quite rare for an SA to say anything about that.

At times I've had an SA ask something about my wife's likes, and such, when shopping for myself, and I just say that they are for me.

I've only been asked once if I wanted to try something on, but the SA wasn't really asking me. She was asking for my wife, who was nearby, and when I said no thanks, I think it will fit fine, she got confused, then realized who the skirt was for.

The difference. At first, even though I was married and had shopped for my wife with no problems, when I shopped for myself I was quite nervous. Over time I got over being nervous, and have, as I've indicated, no problem telling the SA something is for me.
    DonnaT

I will will buy her clothes some times but she is very fussy in what she wears usually having to try it on a few times before making her mind up so that makes it difficult to just go out and buy something for her, but i have no problem buying undies for her as we now wear the same , and just to turn the question around she has no problem being with me when i buy fem clothes for my self and she will tell the checkout person that they are for me (that is a size thing ) she don`t want the checkout person thinking the larger size is for her

joanne

Platinum Member

If you do, please say whether you buy yourself stuff too, im just wondering the difference between buying for yourself and saying you are buying for a loved one?

i always shop for my wife ... and i don't need a reason to do so ... i know her size what she likes and things i know will look cute on her .... shopping for my wife is not a big deal .....lingerie shops or the mall don't matter......

lol of coarse silly if i want something it's mine... no big deal ... lol it's shopping it's fun that's what it's all abought........haveing fun......
    Last edited by Wendy me; 01-11-2008 at 06:52 PM.

I tend to spend more on myself.

Actually, because C isn't a tiny little stick insect that all the clothes these days seemed designed for, it makes it harder to find stuff for her. Sometimes I try and end up inheriting it because I guessed wrong. (that's another thing - there's not such thing as standard sizing anymore). It's good that there is a needy girl in the house who appreciates the hand me downs, but I really would rather they work for her. That's why I buy them.

I often buy stuff for both of us together. It seems rude to come home with lots of nice Kezzie stuff and nothing for Rolki.

I've been doing this for so long it doesn't bother me at all to be shopping for her or I. I think quite often it's pretty obvious to people when I'm picking out something for myself, because of the way I check it out, although sometimes I do that when I'm buying something for C and trying to guage it's actual size in relation to me. But I don't care what people think. There's no law that says a guy can't buy clothes in the women's section.
    "I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

When I was first married my father-in-law told me it was my job to buy lingerie for my wife. That was an easy job to do. As for clothing, I used to have a girl friend of my wifes' help me select dresses and skirts and blouses for her. But as the years passed on, I started selecting things myself, and she liked what I picked out much better than what her friend chose, so I kept it up for years, until we divorced. Now I select dresses and skirts for my self.

Buying clothing, not just lingerie, for my SO was the way I managed to finally get over the fear of buying items for myself -- gads! oh, so many years ago now. I always liked buying her nice things and had no difficulty in doing so -- in fact, I would spend hours just deciding on the very best sweater or dress for her. But, meanwhile, I had such a tough time doing the same for myself, sure that everyone would identify me for what I was. Then one day it just dawned on me at how silly I was -- what difference is it to store clerks whether I was buying something for a loved one or for myself?

So, yeah, I finally started buying just as much for myself as I did for her -- but never more.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Now this is my kinda thread. Thanks for posting! Nothing beats shopping in guy mode for my wife and buying her some cool Lingerie.....and maybe adding something to the cart for Sandy...

SandyR
    Real Men can Cook in Heels...

I buy all kinds of clothing for both my wife (30 years last September) since before we were married and myself (5 1/2 years since the urge resurfaced after 33 years). We wear almost all the same sizes except shoes, even though I'm about 9 inches taller.

100% spoiled brat christina marie's Avatar
    never really had a problem buying stuff for either of us, except the things i buy for her seem to be automaticaly wrong, even if she has another just like it, havent figured that one out yet???
    "you can have this nail file when you pry it from my cold ,dead hands."

shopping

I am not comfortable sorting through the bras--particularly if there are women shoppers nearby. I still do it though--I just hope the store is not crowded. It is easier at the thrift shops where i know the girls. Slacks and shoes are OK--my wife would be very angry if I bought her a bra. She disapproves of my cding.

I bought some clothes (new) for my wife last month. It was fun in a way. I told the clerks at a mall dress shop that I was a cd, but that I was shopping for my wife at the moment. They were very nice and said that I could try on dresses if the store was not crowded.

Time was that I'd not buy for her unless she was with me. She'd pick out what she wanted and tried it on, I paid for it.

Now a days I purchase many of her clothes. She likes loose fitting pants with elastic waist and simple pull over tops. I know her size, so that makes it easy. As for lingerie, usually she decides what she wants from the latest issue of the catalog, of course I order some for myself at the same time.
    Did find a nice store once that had what she likes in undies, just had to buy matching colors in my size at the same time. I noted at the time that she seemed a bit uncomfortable with this, so I haven't done that again.

As for buying for her, it doesn't bother me at all.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

I used to buy clothes, lingerie etc. for my wife before I fully came out to her. I guess I was shopping for me thru her. Since she came to accept my CD'ing, she has told me we shop for ourselves. We both ask each others opinions about outfits . Before, I would buy her lingerie and PJ's but no bras or panties. Most of the stuff I would buy her would stay in the drawer. Now, she picks her clothes and I buy mine. So far I haven't had any problems, even at Wally World.

Yeah - before i came out, i would always buy her some item of lingerie for her chrismas stocking but would usually get it wrong cos i would be fulfilling my own fantasy and not really considering what was practical for her. it would usually get worn once and put to the back of the drawer or only come out for very special occasions. This year I got her a very tasteful sleep set consisting of nightdress and matching panties and to my delight it is being worn regularly

Mitch

Hi Kieron,
    I used to love buying lingerie for my wife. She seemed indifferent at best not only to my purchases, but to lingerie in general. I now know who I was really buying it for. I do love to shop for and with her. It is much more fun now that I understand who the heels and lingerie are for!
    Bobbie

I buy for my wife fairly often. I can walk into any dress barn a browse the selections and pick out a nice dress for her without and nervousness at all. But if I were to pick out something for me it would be a totally differant story. Nervous, Shaking, Sweats. Does it make any sense. Not one bit. Just a bit of loose nuts in my head I guess. It is all the same clothes, the same stores. thae same cashiers.

If you can figure out the answer to this it would be a great help. But for now I will buy most of my clothes online.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Hi Kieron!
    For me there is no diference. I do not shop dressed, but I will shop for Jean for any article of clothing. I will shop for both of us at the same time and we are very diferent in size. I have gone through the racks of bras right next to women doing the same. Jean does go with me on occasion. When she does, we shop for whoever. If we are in a store such as Dillards(department store) we sometimes go to our respective departments. Her's being petites and mine the women's. When we are in Lane Bryant's it is hard to say that you are shopping for the wife when she is there and she is a size 4!