Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At the Emergency Room

At the Emergency Room

I was on duty the other night in the ER when we had a guy come in today that was in a go cart wreck. When I went in to get him to CT his head and neck, I had to have him sign a form to give him IV contrast. He was hurting pretty badly and his wife asked if she could sign it for him. So I let her, No big deal.
    When I started to push him over to x-ray the blanket that they had him covered with didn't quite cover his feet. I couldn't help but notice that his toenails were painted a bright red. I grabbed another blanket and covered him up a bit better and his wife looked at me and told me thanks.

Later in CT when I was starting his IV I could tell that he had shaved his arms and later found that he pretty much shaved everything else as well.

I didn't say anything to him, but I sure would have liked to.

Later one of the nurses asked some of the other nurses why a guy would want to do that and I told her to look it up in her nursing books under obsessive compulsive disorder. And then I told her at least it wasn't killing him like her smoking was killing her.

She said that it wasn't the same thing and turned and walked off. One of the other nurses said that she would rather date a guy that painted his nails then one that smoked.

I guess it's a pretty small world.

Yes, indeed

To me this just shows how different people are. We all have different things that do and don't bother us and lots of time it really just doesn't make good sense.

Gold Member
    Kristen, you should have showed the nurse YOUR toenails

SIDE NOTE - I would rather date a smoker if I were dating cause at least she would not give me a hard time abotu it.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Right, She would have loved that. Besides, mine are maroon.

Obsessive compulsive disorder? Say what?
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 01-14-2008 at 03:34 AM. Reason: no need to quote the whole post for 1 line of text.

I don't know anybody who has died from wearing women's clothes or painting their toenails.

Jill

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Quote Originally Posted by JiFem9ll View Post
    I don't know anybody who has died from wearing women's clothes or painting their toenails.

Jill
    Know one that came close. Wife was pissed that she looked better than her. They went out to bar and men kept on hitting on her. Thought wife was going to kill some

you are very kind and i love your new avatar

susie

GG, Giving Corset Advice MsToriJones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goofus View Post
    Obsessive compulsive disorder? Say what?
    hey it stopped them from bring "rude" to the man....none of you should be treated any different even if you show up to the hospital enfemme....ANY nurse that would treat you different needs to take a class on having class.
    [SIZE="3"]Ms Tori Jones [/SIZE]

Semi Sane innocent angel
    you would think that they have seen alot . BIg deal painted toe nails

I think I would have smiled and winked at the wife

Krysten Nice story I like your hair in your avatar hun. I think it makes you look younger
    Angie

Banned Read only
    Maybe not, but it has been shown to cause extreme euphoria, and a sense of well being in those who practice it.

Robin
    Question is, was the wife more imbarrassed or the husband having to go to the hospital and having the staff notice his nails were painted and probably was wearing some lingerie.
    It was nice of you to cover him up for the wifes sake but it sounds like the wife is very uncomfortable that her husband is a crossdresser, hope she can get over that.

I have several close friends who work in the hospital and say that they see it all every day! Painted toes or a bra are really no big deal to them. I've been told that the patients are generally very worried out being 'outed' by their hospital visit but that in reality unless your neighbor is the classless nurse then you're probably more worried than necessary. Not to say that you won't be outed but I think it is more rare of an occurance than we fear.

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    It's funny...actually it's not...but I had to go to the ER two weekends ago. I took a few minutes before we left to remove the purple polish from my toes for the same reason. I ended up "staying" the weekend. I'm ok now, btw.
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

bEEb
    Well at least he wasn't wearing the dreaded "Dirty underwear"...
    That my mother feared us kids might have on a visit to the ER .

My visit to the ER resulted in visibly stunning my old school Chinese fresh out of med school doctor who was female when she saw my painted toes. The doctor was the one that removed my socks checking for something I dont know what. Nurse came back and commented how much she loved my toes and asked where I had them done. I commented I did them myself! She was amazed at how smooth and shiny they were. I gave her some tips I learned here at the forum soak polish in ice water etc.. We ended up having a great conversation and showed her some pics of petra that I carry in my wallet. But I was there for Kidney stones so it did make the stay in the ER a little bit more bearable.
    When the ER doc returned she came back with Socks for my feet which she had the nurse put on. After they were rolled me away on the gurney up to the hospital I got a subtle wink from the nurse I winked back and wiggled my now covered painted toes.

HUgz,

Petra
    [SIZE="3"]Lovin everthing CD[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Hey, Dont bother me I'm dressing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]I Feel like an actress in her greates role ever "LIFE"[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was recently in the hospital for surgery and numerous doctors, nurses, aides etc. obviously saw my shaved legs and arms (I didn't have any nail polish on). Only one person asked me about my shaved legs and that was a physical therapist. He asked me about it while we were discussing me being a bicycle rider.

Think about how many patients hospital employees see in a day or week. I'm sure they must have seen everything.

Melissa

Even lacking the patient's name or other form of identity it is still inappropriate for any medical professional to discuss a case such as this on the internet or in any other form. I would never discuss my patients like this - especially regarding an otherwise highly sensitive issue.

All you need is for this person to be a member here, read your post and, trust me, find out what it's like to be called into the risk management office.

Lay off such future activity as this - for all us professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by JiFem9ll View Post

Jill
    I find it amazing that anyone in the health profession can bring themselves to smoke. That said, a lot of people are judgmental whackos, but I am of course preaching to the choir

bEEb
    Quote Originally Posted by TreKidation View Post
    discuss a case such as this on the internet or in any other form.
    Golly... which is the liable infraction we're talkin here?

"Painted toenails"... or "dirty underwear"?
    Besides Kristen... YOU DID modify significant details of this story to protect the innocent? Didn't you?

Gold Member
    Way to tell them, and hey how many wrestler on tv do you see with lots of body hair?

I went to the er a few years ago knowing that I would be admitted for emergency intestinal surgery. I got so sick so fast that the idea of taking the time to take off the paint on my toes wasn't so important at the time. I was pretty much out of it by the time I got there. Sure enough, after I woke up from surgery, I remembered that I had my toes painted and was relieved that they had put anti-embolism(?) socks on my legs and my toes weren't very visible unless you knew to look. The nurses and docters never said a word to me. None of my friends, family visitors never seen them. I worried about it some as I lived in a small town then, (3,000 people).

If they could live with it then so could I.
    yin/yang

Celtic Woman in training SiobhanW's Avatar
    they had put anti-embolism(?) socks on my legs and my toes weren't very visible
    That was very sweet of them, showing that much concern for your feelings.

BTW Krysten, let me also congratulate you on your new look (per your current avitar), it does make you look years younger!
    It takes a real woman to handle this man, in a dress!
    "I really love that dress on you. I can only think of one place where it might look better."
    "Let me guess....on your bedroom floor?"
    "No, ON ME!"