Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A small step for a girl, a giant leap for me

Paranoia rules Christina Louise's Avatar

A small step for a girl, a giant leap for me

PLEASE - I APPRECIATE YOUR POSTINGS BUT I'M NO LONGER LOOKING FOR CLIP-ON EARRINGS. I GOT MY EARS PIERCED.

I hope you'll indulge me talking about a couple of things I did today. They're both very trivial for most of you girls but they are 2 small steps on a road to fulfillment for me, so I hope you don't find this too risible.

I'm toying with the idea of getting both ears pierced (from the forums here clip-on earrings would seem to be too painful to wear for any length of time) and I went to see how much that would cost at a beauty salon. It's obviously quite common for men to get their ears pierced these days, but can you imagine what it's like being in your 50s, going into that type of place for the first time, and asking the question out loud in front of several strangers? (I haven't yet committed myself to having it done)

The 2nd thing was buying pantyhose from a supermarket, though I cheated by using the self-service checkout. I was going to upload a photo of me wearing them just to prove it but I haven't got to the stage of shaving my legs yet and so the pictures are a bit too gruesome for public display. Tomorrow I will wear them under my jeans all day.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

UPDATES:
    posting #30 = ears now pierced
    Also body hair removed.
    And have bought heels when high st. shopping.

posting #42 = my 1st pic having bought my 1st blouse for 2 1/2 years
    Last edited by Christina Louise; 01-30-2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Updates

Go ahead and get those ears pierced girl. Congrats on your purchase. It is so exciting to go buy your own things. Whether the self check or a sales associate.
    Last edited by Sharon; 01-14-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: no need to quote entire post when you reply

Good for you Christina. Wasn't that fun. It gets better and better. Enjoy!
    Kathy

Man in a dress
    Clip ons aint so bad, the big problem is getting them these days.
    Ear piercing is permanent, so not for me. Clip ons just leave a small dent.
    As for the pain.... I kinda like it. Itr's not too bad and it's a constant remeinder that you have them on... It's still easy to forget you are wearing them... Don't ask me how I know

As for buying stuff... yes the self serve is great. problem is that whenever I try to use self serve for anything girly, it goes wrong and the assistant has to come and put it right.
    It never goes wrong when I'm just buying dof food... only girly stuff

As Farrah said, it's exciting buying your own stuff, no matter how you buy it.
    I wish that I was brave enough to try stuff on in the shops. This way I'd avoid buying more than I need and then having to take most of it back later... Double the trouble

DJ
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls.
    It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world.

I've been having a look around the local shops for clip-ons but there don't seem to be any. Oodles of the other sort, which is why piercing is tempting.

Buying stuff... in 2005 I did go into high street stores and charity shops and bought some women's clothes, and felt guilty each time during that 2 weeks. But that was a long time ago and so it currently feels like starting from scratch, although the experience is invaluable. I'm currently losing weight before I start to dress so that the major shopping is still several weeks away.

I'm trying to lose weight as well, so I can look better dressed.
    Last edited by Sandra; 01-14-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: no need to quote the whole post when you reply straight after

Clip-ons can be adjusted, you can bend them a bit so they don't pinch so much. Try it on a cheap pair first. Just a little bit does a lot, so don't bend them too much at first.

Man in a dress
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina Louise View Post
    I've been having a look around the local shops for clip-ons but there don't seem to be any. Oodles of the other sort, which is why piercing is tempting.
    I've been having the same trouble with shoes and found loads of outlets online...
    I just searched google for clip on earings and was amazed at the amount of retailers there are.
    It's a shame that my wife isn't too keen on my having "accessories" I could spend a fortune... if I had one to spend

I'll stick with my one pair for now.

DJ
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls.
    It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world.

ear rings

I went in on my 50th birthday and got a femme haircut and both ears done (one hole in each) in a town with a population of 1400. It really wasn't that bad as all the girls were very polite. A very good friend (GG) even bought me a set of hoops for Christmas. I say go for it.

Lois

Erika
    Hi there,
    Regarding piercing your ears. If there is a tattoo parlor in your town you might want to go there. It might be more expensive than a placea t a mall, but they are certainly more open to alternative lifestyles. I say go for it. Chances are, you're the only one worried about it though. The nylons are a tuff one. It sounds like you really WANT to have the check out person see you buying them. So I Nsay go for it. Be brave; you can do it and just think of the rush. Maybe you could go to a store away from fwehre you live the first time.

Hair dressers also do ear piercings and most likely cheaper than a beauty salon.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnielad
    Chances are, you're the only one worried about it though.
    Yep I agree, they are not bothered who gets their ears done so long as they get your custom.

Have them done.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

You,re right "clip ons" are getting harder to find I,m thinking about getting my ears pierced too, but haven,t even asked about it yet. Go for it

Christina Louise,

I asked my SO if she would mind if I pierced my ears and she responded by giving a set of beautiful earrings for pierced ears! So at 52 I'm having my ears pierced (soon--had to wait to get back from family vacation). I've worn clip-ons for a loooong time. Certainly, there are a lot nicer earrings for pierced ears. Get your ears pierced, hardly anyone will notice!!!

Piercing is getting more tempting with each post. The price list from the salon has it at £15 (must be per ear) - do any UK girls think that that's about average? (wonder if they do 3 for the price of 2 lol).

Have worn the tights bought yesterday under my jeans all day so far and the crotch area of the jeans feels so cavernous that I keep checking that they haven't fallen down.

Also went into Superdrug to buy some nail polish, just simple red nail polish. The sweat was starting to appear on my brow as I entered the shop; 2 women were looking at the shelves opposite to those I wanted and, since the aisles are narrow, I had to wait a couple of minutes till they had gone; then, when I did get to look, there wasn't anything like what I wanted. So a quick exit having bought nothing. 5 minutes later I realised that I'd been looking at the nailcare items rather than the beauty items in the next aisle. What an idiiot!!! But I shall make amends tomorrow...

Androgenius
    I was gonna suggest Claire's for clip-ons, but then realized that everyone complaining about not being able to find them was located in the UK. You probably don't have Claires, but maybe there is a similar sort of inexpensive chain-boutique there?

Re: piercing, oddly I was visiting with my mother over the holidays, and while toying with my hair, she asked if she could take me to get my ears pierced! (My mother knows nothing about my crossdressing) I didn't say "no"... still, I don't think it's for me, and clip-ons are plentiful 'round here.

There are a few websites that deal specially in clip-ons, too, like Cliptomania - http://www.cliptomania.com .
    Last edited by Odalisque23; 01-15-2008 at 09:05 AM.

girl next door
    Don't be so hard on yourself, Christina. It's okay- even normal, really- to be kinda freaked out at first. It gets just a lil bit easier each time. Before too long, you'll be shopping and paying the cashier with little or no angst. That's just the way it goes.

Oh, and you needn't apologize for wanting to share something like this. It's a big deal for you, and we're here to support each other, right?

In summation... it's all good!

Good luck (and good nerve ) in your quest to be free to be yourself.

xoxo

Tammi
    [SIZE="3"]
    my wish for you is peace
    [/SIZE]

lo·gom·a·chy /loʊˈgɒməki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[loh-gom-uh-kee] –noun, plural -chies.
    1. a dispute about or concerning words.
    2. an argument or debate marked by the reckless or incorrect use of words; meaningless battle of words

The softer side of Sears JoanAz's Avatar

shopping

Once you have purchased something the next time it is easier,,,REMEMBER they are there to sell you things.
    I just purchased 10 Leggs Sheer to the waist Q+,,they are hard to find sometimes...
    JoanAz

Christina what are you waiting for I 59 Last year I got both ears pierced and love it the clip-on earring hurt my ears big time. Now I wear earring all the time. And buying hose is no big deal hun so relax and just do it.
    Angie

Silver Member
    It all gets easier with each outing and purchase! As your confidence grows, you will become more independent in your needs. When you decide to get your ears pierced, you will have to keep the studs clean and in your earlobes for about six weeks for a proper healing, but you will have more of a variety to choose from - clips and pierced! As for clothing, keep a list of what fits and you feel comfortable wearing. When you buy clothes to try on at home, get a receipt for an exchange or refund. Notice what GGs are wearing in your area and age group and try to copy them. Don't over dress, but try to blend in both with outfits and makeup. It all takes time and a lot of practice to get the right look!

Enjoy, Chari

soulmate of Mrs.M...GG Victoria Anne's Avatar
    Christina I have two piercings in each ear and wear gold ball stud over diamond stud evryday with now comments from others and it will get easier to shop for your self so put your big girl panties on and go get those ears pierced you won't be sorry and just think how many more ear rings you'll have to choose from! oh I'm 47 so don't worry be happy have fun.

On the road of discovery ... learning to be the woman I have always been.

Http://photobucket.com/viccy

Hey Christina, I hear your concern about the piercing, Hae you tried the magnetic earrings they sell at the mall. The look just like pierced earrings but they use a magnet to hold them in place. I would suggest trying those, they sell them at the mall where you would normally go to get your ears pierced and they allow you to try piercing before really trying peircing.

Piercing is getting more tempting with each post. The price list from the salon has it at £15 (must be per ear) - do any UK girls think that that's about average? (wonder if they do 3 for the price of 2 lol).

I don't think that is for each ear hun prices are usually for both dam expensive if it is Have you looked at Claire's they do piercing.

My SO paid £5.50 including the studs at our hairdressers, and the beauty salon we go to charges from £8 -£10 depending on whether you have plain or coloured studs
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

I hope you'll indulge me talking about a couple of things I did today. They're both very trivial for most of you girls but they are 2 small steps on a road to fulfillment for me, so I hope you don't find this too risible.

I'm toying with the idea of getting both ears pierced (from the forums here clip-on earrings would seem to be too painful to wear for any length of time) and I went to see how much that would cost at a beauty salon. It's obviously quite common for men to get their ears pierced these days, but can you imagine what it's like being in your 50s, going into that type of place for the first time, and asking the question out loud in front of several strangers? (I haven't yet committed myself to having it done)

The 2nd thing was buying pantyhose from a supermarket, though I cheated by using the self-service checkout. I was going to upload a photo of me wearing them just to prove it but I haven't got to the stage of shaving my legs yet and so the pictures are a bit too gruesome for public display. Tomorrow I will wear them under my jeans all day.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    Christina, I can see that you are taking baby steps, and that's just fine. there is no hurry for one to feminize ones self. I too am toying with the idea of having my ears pierced. Clip earringe can become uncomfortable over long periods of time and I have a large selection of pierced earrings which belonged to my wife. I don't know what is available in the UK but here in the States there are several options from which to choose.

There are the beauty shops which cater mostly to women. Some tatoo parlors also offer piercing. There are also jewelry kiosks in some of the major shopping malls which offer on the spot piercing. I intend to check all these options for price and quality. At this point in my life I am retired so I wouldn't have to answer a lot of questions about pierced ears in the building trades where I worked for over 40 years. Now I am a retired widower and free to do as I please.

The biggest problem I can see at this time is financial as I am living solely on Social Security and have to budget my money wisely. As for buying pantyhose, I get them at my favorite supermarket along with my groceries. I also buy cosmetics, lipstick, and other feminine items. There is no self service checkout at my store so I go through the regular checkout and they scan my feminine items along with everything else. That's enough about me. i wish you good luck on your decision to get your ears pierced. Luv and Jill

It's funny because I've been thinking about ear piercing just recently, must be New Year resolution time. I've got just 3 pairs of clip-on ear-rings, and they are all reasonably comfortable, though I don't wear them all day.
    But the appeal of piercing is that I could then wear ear-rings all the time, even if my regular day wear was not a feminine style.
    I am in my fifties and a little worried about this step, but I think I'm going to do it.
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

"Claires" is pretty much global now and there are a number of "Claires" shops in the UK. The UK website is http://www.claires.co.uk they have a whole page dedicated to ear piercing.
    Go for it hun.