Thread: Does our dressing mimic Mommy?

Does our dressing mimic Mommy?

I reflect on my choice of ladies wear and I notice that I like wearing , among other things, pantyhose with some lyrca in it--my sister hates this style-like the 100% nylon. I like the slight grip the lycra provides. I wear Hanes Silk Reflections 7 days a week. I reflected that perhaps I favor this style as my late mother too liked this 'feel'. I wonder if this is a form of 'mimicing Mommy' and wonder what others feel/think? best, Helenr

Yes, definitely an "older maternal" look was the influence - heavy support girdles, longline bras that sort of thing, with dresses. Now I really want to be trendy, sporty even, probably a reflection of wanting to go out in public and trying to be as passable as I might.. that is the end goal for me now - just don't know when I'll hit it!

Indeed, I was pretty much mimicing "Mommy", that is, up until I did my coming out to a friend, female at birth, who guided me through an evolution towards a more modern style... We went several times shopping together (I was in drab mode) and she recommended some of the clothes I now wear.

Immitating Mommy's style seems to be a natural thing to do, after all she was our first feminine model... From the mother model which dates from the mid 1950s early 1960s, I've kept an interest in somewhat out-of-fashion girdles which I indulge wearing from time to time...

But by and large, I don't use Mommy's model anymore.

Eugenie

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Does it really have to do with "Mommy"?

Many CD's seem to want a more feminine figure. I certainly do. The more hourglass, the better. To that end, tite girdles, corsets, hose, panties, bras help a lot. Plus, I LOVE tite things, the titer the better! If I can barely breath, that's perfect! Maybe younger CD's don't care for this look?

To answer the question:
    As I only recently started CDing, I have no idea what my ancient mom used to wear back in her heyday.
    RS
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Androgenius
    If by "Mommy," you mean "The New York Dolls."

However, as I get more and more competent with dressing/makeup/etc., I've noticed (kinda distressingly) that I look more and more like my mother when I'm en femme. Anyone else get this feeling when they look in the mirror?
    Last edited by Sandra; 01-16-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: removed hotlinked picture
    Athena

Does our dressing mimic Mommy?

Not even close. My tastefully dressed mother would never have dressed the way I do.

I,m more likely to mimic the local hooker.

Celtic Woman in training SiobhanW's Avatar
    Not a chance. My mother has always had HORRIBLE and TACKY (even ****TY) tastes when it comes to clothes.

Even up to a couple of years ago (she's now in her 60s) she thought that spandex and lurex should be a central part of any woman's wardrobe. Perhaps she should have been the T-Girl.
    It takes a real woman to handle this man, in a dress!
    "I really love that dress on you. I can only think of one place where it might look better."
    "Let me guess....on your bedroom floor?"
    "No, ON ME!"

yes and no...

she had pedestrian taste in lingerie (white cotton), boring hair and not much style in clothing

....but she liked quality fabrics from natural materials, and sensuous fabrics!

chrissie

At the age of 14 my mother told me to dress and be a proper lady at all times. To this day I have a wife who tells me the same thing. If your going to do it, do it right and dress your age.

Earlier in my CD life, I chose clothes--everything from underwear to shoes--that probably would have fit my mother's style, but as I have grown in my own sense of self and expression, I do that far less. I was my mother's child, of course, so there is bound to have been some influence. My mother wanted a girl, but she never had one among the three children she bore. She did not treat me in an effeminate way, except on a couple of occasions and with one clothing choice she imposed on me throughout my elementary school years.
    warmly, Linnea

While I do resemble my Mom in some of my looks, it takes a hell of a lot more make up for me to pull it off . She never wore anything but lipstick (didn't need to really) and she always looked really nice when she dressed up. We both have an affinity for nice clothes but she could look nice with very little effort.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning