Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Does the Future Hold?

What Does the Future Hold?

[SIZE="4"]Some of us more mature ladies remember a time when the only sources we had to learn about our femininity were "The National Enquirer" pulp magazines, bad jokes, and crossdressing comedians on Monty Python, Benny Hill, or The Boys in the Hall. Today there is a wide ranging open discussion of gender. One can learn so much so fast, and avoid some of the fear and self-loathing many have experienced.

What do you think the state of crossdressing or transgender acceptance will be in ten years, in 2018?
    [/SIZE]

I'm reading nothing past 2012 Louise. There are reasons for this but most folks would not understand or believe it. Simply put, the program is winding down. Expect to see all manner of strange happenings in the next few years.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Well you do not look old enough to remember Monty Python and Benny Hill ,
    but i think things have changed a lot in the last 10 years, as i think that it is a lot more accepted with a lot of young people now if one of their friends wants to cross dress and i think some of this has to do with the fact that it would not be so unusual to see a teenage boy wearing a skirt which is helping to push the boundaries a bit more .

joanne

Quote Originally Posted by Salandra View Post
    I'm reading nothing past 2012 Louise. There are reasons for this but most folks would not understand or believe it. Simply put, the program is winding down. Expect to see all manner of strange happenings in the next few years.
    Yes Sal, some people think that is the end. Others think that it is the beginning!

I'm reading nothing past 2012 Louise. ...
    Ya mean I won't be able to collect my social security?

I wouldn't begin to predict anything beyond the next 10 minutes much less the next 10 years. I'm just gonna enjoy the ride, it's been fun so far.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

I was about 12 when "Psycho" came out...

That was enough to cost hundreds of dollars in therapy, and a fearful purge of all of my water baloons at a tender age. Then puberty struck hard, and Cara was back with a vengence. The guilt over possibly being psychotic was too much to deal with. When I get to heaven, I plan to corner Alfred Hitchcock about that one, and demand my money back.

When I was still younger, I remember finding out about Christine Jorgensen. I stole off to the library by myself, and wondered, and wondered...

Anyway, back to the question. My therapy is done through a gender clinic, and my therapist tells me that the unbelievable number of patients with gender issues is overwhelming the entire medical community. He feels this is just the tip of the iceberg.

In 10 years, assuming that they don't come up with a pill (and you can't fix what is not broken, so I doubt this,) we are going to be as commonplace as gays and lesbians are today.

HR departments within Companies are currently struggling with what to do to cover themselves, right now.

I hope that we are accepted, and commonplace.
    So I turned myself to face me, but I've never caught a glimpse
    Of how the others must see the faker,I'm much too fast to take that test.
    And these children you spit on, as they try to change their worlds,
    Are immune to your consultation, They're quite aware of what they're going thru!

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes David Bowie

[SIZE="1"]by Cara Allen[/SIZE]Cara

No one really knows exactly what the future holds for any of us, so I just plan to enjoy the ride as long as I can.

Exclamation Stop and smell the roses!

No one knows the future. We must enjoy the present and pray that we have many more years of joy with our families and friends. beth ann

I'm hoping that society will be more tolerant of us, but right now I just want to see if I can get my wife to be more tolerant of my dressing.
    Striving for acceptance.

Paranoia rules Christina Louise's Avatar
    Here in Dorset, England, I don't see more TGs out and about now than I did 10 years ago (i.e. very, very seldom). Also, it's about the same in the media now as it was then. And that's despite the exponential growth of internet access. Therefore, as much as one would want it be different, it will probably be much the same in 10 years time too.
    "In America the majority raises formidable barriers around the liberty of opinion; within these barriers an author may write what he pleases, but woe to him if he goes beyond them."

nothing past 2012
    That might be just you, better go get one of those pre-paid funeral packages
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Certainly the future holds greater acceptance. I live in Wisconsin just a little ways from the twin cities area in Minnesota. There are mini-mall buildings nearby which have Transgender Restrooms. I don't think you would have seen that 25 or 30 years ago. I think these buildings were built recently. And it was in this forum earlier last year that someone posted the news that in New Jersey,I can't remember if it was the governer or the state legislature has passed some sort of ruling about discrimination in state housing where crossdressing is concerned. It could take it a long time for changes like this to filter down,but it's a start.

I enjoy Benny Hill and Monty Python but I don't like the way that CD/TG/TS people are portrayed as being at best buffoons in these and certain other TV shows. I remember that when I was like 11 or 12,which was in the late sixties there was starting to be just a little bitty bit of acceptance in some circles,of Transgender Issues. But as with other things,it took 10 or 15 or more years for this to filter down. As I'm sure many of you remember those "letters to Ann Landers" dominated the landscape for a long time to come.

I'm not so sure that society is going to become more tolerant of crossdressers,generally speaking. But we will become more visible like in the cable TV news networks and the Newspapers. So I'd say that 2018 should be interesting.

I think in 10 years time someone will be posting the same question on a crossdressing forum.

=beth ann;1165482]No one knows the future. We must enjoy the present and pray that we have many more years of joy with our families and friends. beth ann
    beth is right yesterday is history . all we have is today thats why it's called the present . and god yes pray we have a tomorrow , some people won't be here tomorrow .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As Salandra mentioned above, we have to get past 2012 but that is not a topic for this forum. I marvel at the progress that has been made for the transgendered particularly in access to information. The most important change that I have seen in my 50 years of CDing is the opportunity for sharing information either by a wonderful site like this or the various support groups that have developed. I am not too optimistic about what advances will be made in the next 10 years. Certainly there will be advances in information sharing. However, there are many issues and challenges that the world faces and I am not sure the transgendered are in most peoples top 10 list.
    Kathy

Maybe a transgender/crossdressing free-world leader will step forward and solve all of the major problems and be stylish at the same time. LOL.

My Moto Is , Yesterday Is The Past, Today Is The Present, And Tomorrow Is The Future. So Live Today , Let Yesterday Go ( You Ain't Gonna Change It) And Pray That Tomorrow Holds A Better Time And Place.
    May all the twins in the world have as much fun as I

Quote Originally Posted by Louise Morgan View Post
    What do you think the state of crossdressing or transgender acceptance will be in ten years, in 2018?
    I think the question that should be answered is "what will you do in the next ten years to improve acceptance."
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Hi Louise, As another midwest girl I can say that growing up in Milwaukee I can't recall ever seeing boys or men wearing female clothes in public. But I go back even farther than the comedians you mention. I remember seeing Milton Berle in drag in numerous sketches on his tv show. Curly of The Three Stooges also did drag, but as others have said, they were always portrayed as buffoons.

I think crossdressing is slowly coming of age but acceptance is still slow in coming. I think perhaps a national rally would help our cause greatly. Perhaps an event like Milwaukee's Summerfest, only it would be TG sponsered. We can show the world that we are serious about our lifestyle, and proud to be seen in public. I know there is pridefest for the gay community, but the TG community needs our own recognition. Then maybe the future will look brighter for all of us. Luv and Jill

The Future

Jackie67 got it about right but I think we should also work to make tomorrow better so that we are all more fabulous and more appreciated for the joy we can bring.
    Beauty is in the smile of the beholder

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

TV on TV

When I see, " Makeover, CD/TV Version", or something similar,offered on the tube, I'll know TG's r moving toward being acknowledged. Acceptance will be the next step, and that could be WAY down the road!

I don't expect to see either in my life time. 2012, 2018, or what ever!
    RS
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Here in the states, we have had our first Transgender Soap Opera. 10 years ago that would not have happened.

Hi Louise,

Regarding the USA, I think acceptance could go either way. While tolerance is on the increase, so is intolerance. Currently, I'd say that the tolerance is growing faster than the intolerance, but there are some very determined, powerful, organized and well-financed folk on the intolerant side, and they bear watching.

You never know what is going to happen.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Gold Member
    Honestly, I kind of doubt acceptance will progress too much, maybe some, but there will probably be more protection for the transgendered under the law.

I also think more people will be aware of CD/TS.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

The unique thing about humans is they have an equal propensity to regress as progress. I'll be happy with status quo.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]