• I do my own small repairs and misc. sewing work

56 53.85%
  • I have a machine and can do major work on it

19 18.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sewing nite

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Sewing nite

Last nite was "sewing nite" for me. I repaired a heel damaged red chiffon see thru outfit, a leather skirt, some missing buttons, and a cheesy made new cincher. Got me wondering how many others do their own sewing? How much do u do, and how good r u at it? I'm lousy at sewing! But I can do the basics. My work doesn't have to pass close inspection because I don't go out. But many of u do. I don't have a sewing machine. Do u?
    RS
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

No sewing machine, but do my own repairs. I carry a sewing kit in my handbag and I've sewn girls up when their zips, etc burst and had others sew my shoulderstrap back together...
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Dreams of being a bride
    Dont do any sewing never have done.

I do like your idea of keeping a sewing kit in your handbag Nicki B, I once had a girl sew the bottom button of my skirt back on during a night out, I'd not even noticed the button had gone but she came and asked if I wanted it replacing - rather kindly of her.

I would like to learn how to do basic repairs / adjusments as it would save me the cost of getting the items fixed at a shop not to mention the time I could save.

I have sewed a few Items in my time and plan to again one day. I have a pattern for a beautiful High neck back button long sleeve blouse that I am going to do. I am going to buy a sewing machine first though.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Crazy Lady
    Actually, I don't have a machine, I gave it away when I got married. Before then, I made a few shirts, added fringe to some pants.

Dee

I have my own sewing machine, I usually use it to keep old work clothes wearable.. At least wearable around the house.
    I suspect I could follow a pattern to sew something fairly simple.. but I've never tried.
    Basic sewing skills falls into my "survival skills" category.. along with basic carpentry, minor auto repair, using a chainsaw.. etc.
    The more you know.. the less you have to rely on someone else.

My wife can do anything on a sewing michine and will do 99% of my sewing
    Angie

I usually carry a small sewing kit in my purse when I go out. Most of my things are less than brand new and often need a little on the run repair.

You've got me there RS. I'm literally all thumbs when it comes to that stuff and would have more luck assembling an M-16 in the dark than sewing. Just never had any interest or need to.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

My wife has several sewing machines including industrial ones since that's what she does for a living so I've never had to fix or alter anything. I wouldn't mind learning how to sew but she'd rather I left her machines alone in case I wrecked one somehow. I would like to learn how to service them though, it's pricey to get someone in when one breaks down.
    You don't have to have been born female to enjoy being a girl

While I don't have a machine I do sew. I sew on my own patches, do repairs, etc. I also embrouder. Have done large pieces on the backs of jackets, Etc. All my work is done by hand.

would love to be able to make my own lingerie, Etc.

Kymmie

I started sewing by accident. When I suggested my newish wife (over 30 years ago) should make the curtains for our new home to save us some money, because "It can't be too difficult", her response was "Well if you don't think it's difficult, why don't you make them?" Challenge accepted, and I've made most of our curtains over the years. I treat it as engineering with cloth, and since I am an engineer, I can usually work out what I need to do.

I made clothes for my kids when they were younger, dresses for my daughter, and even trousers for my son, and I've made a few skirts and dresses for my wife, and many is the repair and fitting modification I've done for them all. Nothing for me until recently, when I've converted a few old trousers into pencil skirts. I have to be careful when I get out our sewing machine because my wife does not want to be reminded at all that I wear female clothes of any description. I won't say I'm an expert, but I can usually find my way around the simpler sewing tasks.

Tony

Dreams of being a bride
    Moving somewhat on from this but on the same subject how many of you gals have had dress fittings or worn a dress or skirt etc while it was being altered ?

Interesting thread, so to speak--lol. If it's simple repair work, I do my own sewing. I learned the basics from my mother when I was in elementary school. I wouldn't make any complicated alterations, but I can put on a button, repair a seam, and stitch up a hem.
    warmly, Linnea

my last sewing project was a petticoat. I have done a few skirts and dresses and some lingerie. i love to dress and sew.

Learned to use a sewing machine in the U.S.A.F.
    Don't have a machine now. I am pretty handy with the needle and thread though.
    Comfortable in my own skin.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, and never cease to be amazed by it!" Lazarus Long

Wink

I learned to sew in basic training...stripes, patches, etc. Now it comes in handy repairing things that I might not want someone else to know I own.

I learned to sew way back in high school, when I worked part time in a tailor/dry cleaner shop. Used to make some clothes for my spouse, but when she decided to tell me what to make, in what color/fabric and by when, it seemed to become a job, rather than a hobby, and I already had a job that paid a whole lot more. I made a few items for myself and then decided to start making clothing for 18" American Girl-style dolls. That rapidly became my hobby and I just love it. Now, although items I've made for them is small compared to the overall size of their wardrobe, being able to dress my dolls in the styles I love is joy, joy, joy.

I brought a couple of my dolls to the last LG Camps I attended and had made matching outfits for me and my dolls. It was a wonderful experience...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click Here to View My Website: Taffy's Tea Trolley
    "Growing old is inevitable; growing up is optional..."

The softer side of Sears JoanAz's Avatar

The US Army / Sewing

In the military I was a Parachute Rigger so I can Sew, I have 2 machines, my favorite is a 1903 Singer industrial.
    My Avatar is made from a Promdress I picked up at a Thrift Store.
    JoanAz

When I go out Sherry, I carry a piece of duct tape and a couple of safety pins if I need any emergency repairs. Even my attempts at putting on a button does not look great!
    Charlie

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    I do a lot of my own sewing so I have to have a machine at the ready. Some friends and I get together every so often for a stitch-n-b**** session. Share tips, create lovely things and just talk.

Zara

Aspiring Member Christina Nicole's Avatar
    I sew. I do mine and my wife's. She does not like sewing and can't attach buttons. I made a skirt once. It was an eight gore pattern. I modified it because it didn't look full enough, so I made the gores a little bigger. The original pattern had straight gores. Changed it to used curved ones so that the bottom was more full and flared. Getting the arcs right was a challenge back in the dark ages. Now it's easy. Just plot the arcs in CAD and run the pattern out on a E size plotter.

Warm regards
    Christina Nicole
    Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these.
    --Susan B. Anthony

sewing nite

I have taken in seams on dresses and skirts as I loose weight. I have not made anything from scratch or patterns. Have made repairs on seams on nightgowns that get ripped while tossing around when sleping.

i have a heavy duty machine for sails and boat stuff but I would be afraid to try something delicate.

Not just a pig-n-lipstick
    I have a few machines but none of them are setup.

When I was a kid my mom made a lot of costumes for local plays so the sewing machine was my first power tool.

Now a days I just do minor repairs.
    Last edited by Ellie; 02-27-2008 at 10:25 PM.