If the world gets any smaller, we’ll be standing on each other’s toes.

I’ve mentioned in a few postings and threads that I go to the gym each morning. As we all know, if you have a habit of frequenting a particular place, you’ll begin to see others who also go to the same place, and they kinda become known to you.

I’ve also mentioned that I have my pedicure and facials done at a local salon here in town. The owner “knows” about me and doesn’t much care as long as I pay. I have an appointment this coming Tuesday for a “day of pampering” :

Full body massage. (licensed masseuse)
Pedicure, ( Lavender color in time for Easter)
Pomegranate masque facial ( certified esthetician )

Just gonna love it;

Now, L***a (the owner) has been talking about hiring a new nail tech that can do acrylic and gel work. Up to now it’s been just simple manicure and coloring / painting that she’s been able to do. This was OK when she had a smaller shop and was the only one there. However, having moved to a larger facility with more room, she’s been able to add another pedicure station, a dedicated fingernail area, two more hair chairs, a tanning room, and a facial / massage room. Plus be able to attract a few more technicians to service her customers better.

Those of us who take full advantage of salons like this know the wonderful joy of “A DAY” . Been looking forward to this for quite awhile. Saturday I stopped in, and L***a greeted me with her usual big smile and asked why I was there. Mentioned that I had stopped by to reconfirm my Tuesday appt. She checked the book and gave me a “thumbs up”
I was about to leave when I asked her if she had hired the new nail tech that she had mentioned she was looking for.
“Oh, yes I have, come with me and I’ll introduce you.”
Head to the “nail station”
“S****e . this is Phil, one of our regular customers”
She turns her attention to me for a bit to smile a hello and says to me, “You go to the gym each morning, don’t you?”
I’ve seen her at the gym many times and while I’ve not had any reason to speak to her I did recognize her.
“Yes, I do, just gotta love it.”
Customer S****e was working on says “Hi, I’m B***y.” Turn to her and say hello back. Looked down to see what S****e was doing to B***y, she was getting some “French Tips” applied. Made small talk about having finger nails looking nice, and mentioned where I usually get mine done. Also noted that since L***a now had a nail tech that could do acrylic I’d be here more often.
So, … is there a “moral” to this little incident?
Yeah, in fact a few.
1. Be comfortable with yourself. In another time, I would have turned “beet red” and have “died of embarrassment” at that moment.
2. Unless you live on an island by yourself, there will be others who know you.
3. If only one person “knows” about you , figure that soon enough there will be more than that.

Am I worried? NO. I didn’t come out and say “the magic words” but, I’m sure it won’t take long before the new nail tech figures it out.
So, now when I see her at the gym, we can at least smile a hello at each other.

Like I said at the start. “If the world got any smaller….”