Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Were You A Long Haired Hippie?

Banned Read only

Were You A Long Haired Hippie?

Tracy just put a post in another thread saying that as a long haired hippy, she was often mistaken for a girl. That happened to me, too. And of course there were the occasional insults to go with it. I had a gorgeous long ponytail and whenever I crossed the Mississippi to go west, I fashioned it into two braids, Willy Nelson style.

So I was wondering, were there many here that had long hair in their teens and twenties? And do you think it might have been related to your (probably) repressed CD urges?

Let's hear it, boomers!

deja

Smile mikecd999

Yes I did, and now I have long hair again, below my sholders. My mother said I look like I did back in the sixtys, I said yes but this time I will remember it.
    Mike

Hi Deja: Yes I had long hair in my younger days and off and on ever since. No I don't think it was related to my predisposition to CD. I have always been a rebel and when I was told that I couldn't have long hair and participate in athletics in High School I grew it long just to prove a point. By the way I was a co captain for 2 yrs. of our state championship cross country teams. I don't think my long hair slowed me down any.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Luv Jamie

Living and Enjoying Life Kristen Kelly's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]Up until Junior HS I had a crew cut, now I'm a long haired mature person. At 50 I'm lucky to have a full head of my own hair, it's below my shoulders and blonde highlighted, this is the longest it has ever been. When asked how long am I going to grow it, I answer "Till it falls out"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Life Begins When You Stop Worrying What Other People Think[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]
    Walk TALL SMILE and be CONFIDENT all will be OK
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]It's Brave to be Different, Be Brave Too, Accept Me for Who I am ![/SIZE]

Down into the Easy Chair SweetCaroline's Avatar
    Long haired hippie here!

But beyond my era. I grew-up in the Eighties/ early Nighties. Not the early sixties. alas.

Still, I'm the hugest Dylan fan I know, so that must count for something.
    Caroline Emily
    Co-Moderator
    SISTERS FAMILY

Gardner Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_gardner/
    Worcester Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_worcester/

Family is the most important thing in the World.

I was a long haired hippy, but the mutton chops and big red moustase that went along with it sort of cancelled out the CD feminine part. Back then I only wanted to occasionally wear one of my GF panties. Nothing more. To much dope to take the time to look good in a dress.

I was a long hair hippie also, I wore psychedelic shirts and huge bell bottom pants.
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

Yep, had hair down past my shoulders.. other than that I didn't advertise my hippieness. Wore somewhat normal clothing and acted as normal as possible. But.. all along I was dropping acid and smoking reefer to the max. Nobody knew... they just thought I was a happy guy.

Banned Read only
    "...but the mutton chops and big red moustase that went along with it sort of cancelled out the CD feminine part..."

Yeah i know! My waxed handlebar mustache definitely did not accesorize well with my Indian print long dresses...

deja

Were You A Long Haired Hippie?

YUP Some people think am I still. Little do they know. : eek:

Was before my time.

<...Gen Y'er
    Merry

HRT since 2009

My hair was below my belt and I surfed every day. Yes, lots of looks from other drivers trying to get a better look at the babe in the car next to them.
    [SIZE="3"]Jennaie`[/SIZE]

I didn't have really long hair until I was almost 50 and then down to the middle of my back, but for many years I wore a perm and that allowed me to comb it out when en femme, and pass as the respectible man they all thought I was the rest of the time. Now I dye my hair light blonde once per month, but it is so thin I cannot let it grow out. So sad.

Banned Read only
    Yep, i was a long haired hippie type but with a beard to boot.
    With me it was not all love and peace in those days.

You see back in those days i rode with a motorcycle gang. Had three Harley's over that period. Those were both the best and the worst periods of my life.
    One thing though i don't regret, i got a ton of strories from that period, some good, some bad, some really humorous, some downright frightening and some downright incriminating!

"Oh, say, can you see my eyes;if you can---then my hairs to short"---the early 70's were our hippy daze!Everyone I knew had long hair,but I'm sure I was the only one using it to my fem advantage.I could get home from school, and be dressed and out the door in 10 minutes!Loved those quick walks around the block.
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

Yupper But I bathed and kept it nice. Oh no I wasn't protesting a thing. Just a foray into gender bending.

Never had the pleasure courtesy of Uncle Sam. I did have Hippie friends even though I was a "straight laced" troop in Army Intel. Not to mention, I went down to Washington DC when I was stationed near there on the weekends sometimes to rent a hotel room and crossdress. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Platinum Member
    yes that was me long hair ..... sun glasses .....bandaner ....

Banned Read only
    I had long hair when I was about 11 (it was down to the middle of my back) and I had a natural blonde streak in the front... Since then I've grown my hair and cut it religiously, allowing it to reach my chin and cutting it short again.

I don't know whether I chose metal music because it's more acceptable for guys to have long hair that are into metal music or just because I like it. But my parents were bikers with long hair and liked rock / classic metal so it might have been part of their influence. Either way since coming out I haven't got the urge to cut my hair

Banned Read only
    I had my hair grown down past my arse. I could sit on it. I wasn't really into being a hippie I just liked it that it wasn't considered that unusual for a boy to have extremely long hair, (it was the hair I liked) and getting mistaken for a girl was great too.

Not me. I was too repressed in those days! A GG friend even offered to crossdress me just for fun and I turned her down. I've kicked myself ever since.

Been making up for lost time!

Blessings,
    Rikki

Wonderful memories of the delicious times of my long hair... Unfortunately long gone...

Around the age of 45, I developped a bald spot on top of t hair and long hair didn't really look good with a bald spot... So I had to cut my hair...

It was great then to be able to have a feminine hair brush with my own natural hair... Even in drab mode women were often saying "I wish I had the same curly hair you have..."

The most enjoyable part was feeling my hair on my neck and shoulders... That feeling isn't provided by a wig, but may be it is because I'm not wearing a human hair wig...

Eugenie

No I was one of those crew cut "baby killers" - that hurt being called that by the way. Four years in the military and then trying for the rest of my life to catch up with my classmates who went straight to college. (I did have the benefit of the GI Bill to help pay the way.)
    Now that I could appreciate the long hair I have a bald spot the size of Texas. I wear a short wig, probably shorter than most of you had your hair back then, and appropriately it's gray.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Hugs,

Carla

http://flickr.com/photos/carla4guage/

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    Guilty as charged !!!!!!

Emily Ann
    Living with a heel in each world.

in the 60's my Dad wouldn't let me grow it past my ears...My Mom managed to get him to let me grow it to my shoulders. At that point, and since I had been getting my hair trimmed at my Mom's stylist (only one stop for me, you, and your sister she used to say), she had the stylist cut it into a long bob...I think to humiliate me into getting it cut short again. Didn't happen. Wore it as a bob for most of the 6th grade (1968) till it got "too long for Dad" close to summer which was funny as Mom's stylist never let it get any longer than touching my shoulders. BUT, since I already knew I wanted to be a girl (long story) I was way cool with the style so I enjoyed myself the whole year! That summer was a major bummer as I DO remember having to get my hair cut the last day of school. At that point it was about 3 or 4 inches past the top of my shoulders and with the curl-cut for a bob it look pretty girly (my sister would tell me)

ahh....those were the days....hair now?...99&#37; of the time in a braid that almost touches my belt...

Jenn