Thread: Black Box "Crash" Recorder for CDs

Black Box "Crash" Recorder for CDs

Having a history of working on airliners, I've come up with the idea of having a personal Crash Recorder !

I've often wondered how I sound when I interact with others - well I thought of taking along a micro voice digital recorder that I have, so I can re-run the outing.
    That way I can see how I sound to others.

What do you think? - or am I taking things too far
    Last edited by Suzy Harrison; 02-24-2008 at 03:30 AM.

I think thats a great idea. Especially if you can't go out as ofthen as you like, you could relive it.

Paranoia rules Christina Louise's Avatar
    Have you ever tried this with your male voice - you're in the minority if you like the way you seem to sound to other people. So, if you are wondering about the timbre of your voice then I'd suggest not; but if you are simply after a recording of what you're saying, then go ahead.
    "In America the majority raises formidable barriers around the liberty of opinion; within these barriers an author may write what he pleases, but woe to him if he goes beyond them."

Interesting idea Suzy. I tend to concentrate on how I look and I need to start concentrating on how I sound.
    Something happens and I'm head over heels.

Just a thought Suzy but if some people think you are "wired", they may get the wrong impression and it could be potentially dangerous. You never know Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Christina Louise View Post
    Have you ever tried this with your male voice - you're in the minority if you like the way you seem to sound to other people. So, if you are wondering about the timbre of your voice then I'd suggest not; but if you are simply after a recording of what you're saying, then go ahead.
    It's purely to see how good my fem voice is. I've been practicing 1 hour a day, everyday, for the last 3 months. It's coming along, but I need to 'hear' it objectively.

When you talk you hear your own voice differently to others as the sound is in your head, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandra View Post
    Just a thought Suzy but if some people think you are "wired", they may get the wrong impression and it could be potentially dangerous. You never know Hon.
    Good point, but there's no wires or anything else that looks strange.

It's a small square silver device, 2.5 inch x 1 inch x 0.25 inch. All self contained with 2 inbuilt microphones (stereo). If I put it in my bag it still picks up everything and it can record for 70 hours - and even I don't stay out for that long ! - see photo

WS-300M_uk.jpg
    Last edited by Holly; 02-24-2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Merged two consecutive posts... please use the EDIT button to add content. Multiposting is not permitted.

DeeAnn
    How does one practice, or speak in, or determine the tone and quality of a female voice?

I've considered trying to talk in a feminine voice but it sounds so weird that it seems unnatural.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeAnn View Post
    How does one practice, or speak in, or determine the tone and quality of a female voice?

I've considered trying to talk in a feminine voice but it sounds so weird that it seems unnatural.

Try this:

http://tsroadmap.com/physical/voice/female-voice.html

This is the course I'm doing

This could be a good idea Suzy
    My daughter says "I sound like Bob Hoskins trying to impersonate Eliza Doolittle"

I think talking of crashes runs the risk of being a self-fulfilling prophecy... :hmmm:
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Record your self just talking by yourself you don't need to record another person.
    Angie

I think hearing yourself might be very useful practice, but some people might not like the idea of being recorded. Might need to get permission first. And wouldn't the sound be muffled if the recorder were in your purse?

Busted! Out of the closet--you are really an engineer aren't you?

Can you include a video cam in your purse?
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

In many countries any audio recording without permission is considered "wire-tapping". It might not be an issue but I would be careful!
    Sally

SURE you want to know? Sometimes I'm perfectly happy fooling myself! ;-)

Suzy,

If you have worked on airliners and Black Boxes, you probably know that the last words usually heard on them just before the crash is "AW SH.."!

So, we will wait for the readout of yours.

Seriously though, while it would be fun, it may be big trouble if found out. I would be afraid that if I heard myself, it might burst my bubble LOL!

Best regards,

Missy Anne

Technical difficulties

Having an objective look at your progress is a great idea. (I'm gonna let me inner nerd loose for a minute) I'm not sure a general purpose recorder would give you accurate feed back. To my experience they tend to be noisy and do not accurately reproduce sounds. Plus with the ambient noise of an outing I would question how true to life the playback would be. Maybe try it alone first, and use a song you like as a test case so you'd recognise the accuracy of the sound. (ok I'm done nerding out for a while :nerd

But working on a female voice is a neat/interesting idea.

Thanks for the link.

B
    Last edited by Brynna M; 02-24-2008 at 11:36 PM.

Suzy walking around the mall in her heels saying:

"Testing testing 1-2-3 !"

JenniferR771
    : Yes, you've outed me... In fact I was an aircraft engineer - but I'd rather had been a stewardess as they had nicer uniforms

Missy Anne + Sally24 Well no one is going to know unless they take my bag and even if they look inside and see it you have to know how to work the recorder. It doesn't even look like a recorder.
    Last edited by Suzy Harrison; 02-25-2008 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy Anne View Post
    Suzy,

If you have worked on airliners and Black Boxes, you probably know that the last words usually heard on them just before the crash is "AW SH.."!

Missy Anne
    No, it's usually the Ground Proximity Warning System calling out in an electronic voice:

"Whoop Whoop - Terrain, Pull Up, Whoop Whoop - Terrain, Pull Up," - usually followed by a bang.

Mine will be - "Whoop Whoop Outed, Whoop Whoop Outed",

OMG that was too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Missy Anne View Post
    Suzy,

OMG that was too funny!

Hugging the Kurves! RobertaFermina's Avatar
    I think its a great idea with at least one limitation.

I am pretty sure I sound differently when I am being recorded (and know it) as compared to when I know I am not being recorded.

Also, am I ready to "actually hear what I sound line" ? And not lose my emotional equilibrium if my voice isn't what I need it to be?

Roberta
    [COLOR=Red]Open your Heart :