Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you turn out like your mother?

Did you turn out like your mother?

Yesterday I had a long time to reflect on where I am and what I'm doing. I wanted to change somethings in my life I didn't like. when I was going over the list I made I realized that I made the same decisions in my life my mother made. I don't know if its my other side that bought it about or I just went down the same road on my own.
    I've often heard that fathers and sons are very similar but I think I'm becomming my mother.
    we offen have our fights and disagreements but after this it's really ... I don't know what to say? its freaking out our femme and male side.

is this happening to anyone else or is it just a midlife crisis thing?

a new question. What traits do you share with a female personality in your life?
    Your Mother? Sister? Aunt?
    I posted the same question in the FtM thread and I got some interesting answers
    Last edited by wannabie; 02-25-2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added a new question

Banned Read only
    Gosh, no! I'm not shy, quiet or overly religious. And I didn't turn out like my father, either, except for being a little pig-headed. I worked really hard to not be ignorant, racist and a womanizer.

We all need to invent ourselves. That's what maturity is all about.

So how was your home life, then?

deja

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by deja true View Post
    Gosh, no! I'm not shy, quiet or overly religious. And I didn't turn out like my father, either, except for being a little pig-headed. I worked really hard to not be ignorant, racist and a womanizer.

We all need to invent ourselves. That's what maturity is all about.

So how was your home life, then?

deja
    I share some of her traits - a love of reading, a quiet and calm nature, a love for knowledge (if not the real drive to get a formal education). Other than that, no. My mother went through much of her life somewhat helpless and looking for someone else to take care of her and I could not live that way. I have made my own way through life and can not imagine counting on someone else to bring home the pay check, chop the firewood, and do what needs doing.

Compasion!

I share the same understanding of human nature as my mom. Drives my nuts sometimes, but keeps me calm.

Hugs!

SandyR
    Real Men can Cook in Heels...

It's happening to me too, I even see a resemblance (a strong one)....
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

I live in the New Orleans Area of Louisiana.

A little

I see a little of my mother in me.
    Love From Your Sister Michelle
    Flowers are for the Heart, the Mind, and the Soul

Smile

Raised by my Mother and Grandmother since age ten when father was killed in a truck and train accident. Did start wearing mother clothes and grandmothers at hat time and Ifelt like that was the proper thing to do. If you saw my pictures back a month or so ago I have apicture of my mother and my side by side. And a lot of my friends have noticed we look the same especially when I'm dressed.

I admired my mother greatly, if I accomplish only a portion of what she did, I would consider myself fortunate. Hard working, compassionate, loving and a tower of strength. Yes I modeled myself after her. It wasn't until I saw pictures of her in her 20's that I saw her beauty.
    When she needed care, she developed alzheimers, I stepped up and basically took care of her needs. She floored me one day, really made me stop and think, a chill went down my back when she said to me; "You are just like your father" It was like being hit hard...i just couldn't be like him, no, not the man I hated..

I think I have my mother's sense of fashion, conservative and understated.
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

Physically yes, I have come to look much as my mother did in her 50s, I always did look more like her in hair colour , eyes etc than my father when I was a kid and teenager .When dressed en femme at home I look like I could have been her sister.

In outlook I am also tolerant as she was and not like my father who is a typical British man of the 1950s. However unlike Mum I am far more assertive and not a push-over for others.
    [SIZE="5"]Helen[/SIZE]

Simple answer - HELL no!
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    My mother went through much of her life somewhat helpless and looking for someone else to take care of her and I could not live that way. I have made my own way through life and can not imagine counting on someone else to bring home the pay check, chop the firewood, and do what needs doing.
    It was probably the sign of the times. Back then, all women were expected to do was to find a husband, get married, raise kids and basically household stuff. She probably got that from her mother - your grandmother.
    Not many women today feel that way now, but I have met some that been carrying on the tradition.

the only thing i share with my mom is her emotionalism - i get emotional just watching a sad film - saying that maybe i've inherited a bit of her temper - but apart from that no - my dad was very layed back and i am too - and after my moms reaction when she caught me dressed as a kid - she is certainly not open minded - mind you maybe i do look like her a bit when dressed - i dont have a problem that

The older I get the more I seem to resemble my parents. It is frightening to me. If they were still here I'm sure it would be frightening to them too.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Gold Member
    My biological mother - Well we both are pretty laid back. We are both easy to talk to.
    Step-mom - Her and I are nothing alike, I grew up with her as a parent and have known her for like all my life yet I don't know her.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

My mother was a beautiful woman inside and out. Very sweet, kind, loving, no one ever heard her say a negative thing about anyone. She was very pettite, prim and proper. Me? I'm the exact opposite!

I sure do miss her. Love ya Mom!
    Dana Fleming

Not really.....but I do have a better wardrobe
    Hugs,

Christi

I lost my father when I was young(14) and definetly take after my mother. I have told my wife many times, if I get out of hand, all she needs to put me in line is say ' Hi Phoebe'. Works like a charm!

Aspiring Member
    Jenny said most of it all for me. My mother was the eppitome of everything for me. we had lived around the world before my age of 8. to be a girl born in "hickory flat" mississippi and be done gone there... ive always looked at her strength and marveled. now i find myself attempting to (push) project these same traits. Mom was and still is the love of my life. as the old sayin goes, id like to find a girl like MOM.

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    Sometimes I see my mother in me but thats very rare. I do have her sense of style.

when i wsa growing up, i was told that i look like my mother or i look like my fater. mainly my mom, but when i looked at ehr then myself, i never saw anything. granted that teh three of us have blue eyes and my mom has dark brown hair but other than that no other phsyical resmeblence then. she laughs at stuff i dont find the least bit humorous. like the other day she was on the phone talking to the battery warehouse looking for anew battery for her car. when she said she never knew yinz were there she laughed like 'ha ha hmm hmm' but i laugh at stuff like if something happens on tv and i repeat a certain word from the event. like simpsons episode with the monorail. when homer said 'mono... doh!' i found that cute. we both are happy with the men/women in our lives. not dad. all he did was bitch and moan (in a good mood) and bitch and moan and threaten to kick my ass if he got mad which was often. after he died i felt like it was my fault for not getting along with him when i was younger and not saying 'goodbye' when he passed. my mom now has a new man in her life who shes happy with. so i guess i got her love toward others from her because thats what i express onto my girlfriend as well as my niece and nephews. i guess i got there work effort from both parents. my dad worked the steel mills until his final heart attack forced him out, so my mom had to pick up the pace working 2 jobs to support a growing family. my sister had her son then and as well as her current boyfriend at the time. but i guess i got her eyes, hair, love, patience, work effort from her.
    [SIZE=2]im sunshine[/SIZE]

Exclamation Oh GOD, I hope NOT!!!

Not a chance!!!
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Seville[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by MlleErin View Post
    My biological mother - Well we both are pretty laid back. We are both easy to talk to.
    Step-mom - Her and I are nothing alike, I grew up with her as a parent and have known her for like all my life yet I don't know her.
    I was brought up as an adopted only child and started to search for my biological family after some fifty years.

I eventually traced my biological mother but, unfortunately, she had died the year before so all I have is some photographs and a short movie clip...just a few seconds. But that few seconds is revealing. Our gestures and walk are almost identical and this is confirmed by my newly discovered sisters. They say that my mannerisms are so much like hers that it is spooky. Another surprise was that I closely resemble one of my sisters in looks...we could be taken for twins except that she is a few years older.

I don't think that I consciously made a decision to be like my mother, I'm not sure anyone does, but I certainly have turned out to have many of the same behaviors, tastes, likes and dislikes, politics, attitudes and fashion sense. I regret very much that in the last years I did not tell my mother how much I wanted to be female, to be like her. I am told she knew, I hope so.

Sometimes I see my mother in me .

Quote Originally Posted by Louise Morgan View Post
    I regret very much that in the last years I did not tell my mother how much I wanted to be female, to be like her. I am told she knew, I hope so.
    Interesting statement. it makes me wonder if anyone ever started out being female because of their relationship with their mother or a lack of one with their father?